Almost Tomato Tarte Tatin

2 Aug

Make it a big slice for me please!

Yes, tomatoes are now officially ripening at a rapid speed in our Huerto, and apart from drying and preserving, we are eating them too!

If you head over to Cook, Eat, Live Vegetarian you´ll find a wonderful tomato and quinoa recipe which shows you how to slow roast the delicious summer tomatoes we have in Andalucía at the moment.  The other night we were heading out for dinner, so on the way out I popped a couple of trays of tomatoes into the oven set at the lowest temperature, and when we got back about four and a half hours later I had perfect roasted tomatoes.  The house smelt wonderful too!

The next morning I braved the heat of the oven and decided to make a tomato tart.  You can also find another wonderful version over here at Sweet Pea´s Kitchen made with Heirloom Tomatoes.

I put greaseproof paper at the base of a loose bottomed tart tin (that always makes me giggle, it sounds a bit saucy!) and put the tomatoes in, cut side down.

Then I mixed 200 grams of my garlic and herb cream cheese with one egg and spread this over the tomatoes.  Finally I covered the whole thing with a sheet of puff pastry and tucked all the edges in.

I cooked it at 180ºC for about 50 minutes, left it to cool slightly in the tin for 10 minutes then turned it out on a plate.  You get a few lovely juices dripping out and it´s best served at room temperature.

About these ads

43 Responses to “Almost Tomato Tarte Tatin”

1. chaiselongue1 August 2, 2011 at 09:47 #

Oh, this sounds wonderful – I’ll have to make it today!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 10:03 #

It was lovely – very sweet taste to the tomatoes!

2. thecompletecookbook August 2, 2011 at 09:47 #

Simply PERFECT! What a brilliant idea and so pretty too – also love your tablecloth. :-) Mandy

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 10:07 #

Thank you and my parents will be so chuffed to hear you like my tablecloth. He and my mum bought it for me earlier this year from a man on the beach!

3. zimbrowski August 2, 2011 at 09:54 #

I’m so jealous of your homegrown tomatoes down there. Up here in Barcelona all the markets are filled with cheap, flavourless, mass produced ones. They don’t sell the delicious locally grown ones anymore, because they are too expensive. I will have to get my tomato fix through your posts.

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 10:08 #

Oh what a shame – I would hve thought they would have some lovely ones in the gorgeous markets of Barcelona. Hope you enjoy the blog, lots more tomato recipes to come…

4. Kate Abbott - Clifton Kitchen August 2, 2011 at 10:27 #

Greetings from Cape Town,
    This tart sounds fabulous and looks gorgeous too.

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 12:56 #

Thank you – bringing a little sunshine to your Cape Town winter!

5. fatisrecipes August 2, 2011 at 10:35 #

Yummalicious!! :D I saw a pan version type thing on Master Chef Aus. the other night. These tomato things are looking so good, it makes me feel bothered that I just ate a whole tomato plainly. :(

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 12:57 #

Oh, I don´t know…if it´s a really good tomato, all it needs is a little seasoning and a dash of olive oil to make it perfect. Nothing plain abut that!

6. foodblogandthedog August 2, 2011 at 11:11 #

Great use for the roast tomatoes! Thanks for the mention, I’m just about to roast another batch so will give this a try this week when I ‘ve had a go at the cream cheese too!!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 12:58 #

You´re welcome! I think it would be great too with just caramelised onions instead of the cream cheese…..yum!

7. TheDorsetFinca August 2, 2011 at 13:54 #

It amazes me how the humble tomato is the basis for so many incredible recipes! I will definitely know what to do with them all when my masses ripen. Any day now… any day…. !!!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 15:38 #

What did people do before the tomato was “discovered”?! What a grey and less tasty world it must have been :(

8. Karen August 2, 2011 at 15:13 #

What a pretty presentation and so clever of you. I’m definitely making this when the tomatoes are harvested.

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 15:43 #

It got a bit wonky in the middle, but that just proves it´s home made!

9. Rachel August 2, 2011 at 15:45 #

OK, just to be sure, you made this with your roasted tomatoes? Beautiful… I can almost smell it! I love the idea… mind if I borrow it? I’ll credit you… MMMMMMmmmmm!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 15:49 #

Yes, the roasted tomato recipe I pinched from Cook, East, Live Vegetarian – borrow away, I would be honoured! Hope you enjoy it….. :)

• Rachel August 4, 2011 at 23:08 #

Tomatoes are in the oven and oh does my house smell wonderful… Mmmm…!!! Thanks!!

• chicaandaluza August 4, 2011 at 23:36 #

You´re welcome – hope you enjoy it!

10. spicegirlfla August 2, 2011 at 17:31 #

Sounds devine and looks gorgeous! I can just imagine how your home smelled when you came home with those roasted tomatoes! I could sit down and eat them just like that but your combination of cheeses and herbs really puts it over the top!!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 19:18 #

Actualy I did hold a few back and eat them with an extra drizzle of olive oil, some chopped basil and some crusty bread!

11. Olga SE August 2, 2011 at 19:21 #

M-m, it looks wonderful. I have never tried anything of the sort.

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 19:27 #

And it was so easy! Looked pretty impressive too, which is always a good thing.

12. ambrosiana August 2, 2011 at 19:38 #

Deliciosa!!!! Brava!! I love cheese ( specially your garlic and herb cream cheese) tarts and with the addition of slow roasted tomatoes is simply delicious!!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 21:57 #

Gracias and Grazie! It was a good combination – with all the lovely tomatoes you have where you are, I bet you´ve got some good recipes up your sleeve…

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 2, 2011 at 19:39 #

Hooray for ripe tomatoes! This looks absolutely wonderful. Can’t wait to see more recipes.

14. Michi August 2, 2011 at 20:27 #

Ohhh, absolutely delicious!!! I’ve never had this before, but it looks mouth-watering. You’re my new kitchen guru!!

• chicaandaluza August 2, 2011 at 21:58 #

Ooh – I´m honoured. Will have to pour myself a glass of wine to celebrate being your kitchen guru!

15. ....RaeDi August 3, 2011 at 00:54 #

One of my favorites tomato tarts they have so much flavor. This looks delicious! I can smell your house on your return, roasting tomatoes are fabulous!….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza August 3, 2011 at 09:13 #

Smelt wonderful – looks like you´ve eben doing a “big read” thanks for all your comments!

16. JamieAnne August 3, 2011 at 04:23 #

Looks wonderful! So yummy! Well done!

17. Tandy August 3, 2011 at 10:02 #

*wipes drool off keyboard* oh my, I like the sound of this!

18. TBM August 3, 2011 at 16:09 #

Looks like another great dish!

19. Mandy August 4, 2011 at 16:09 #

I am addicted to your blog – trouble is I keep reading it when really hungry!!! Also living in Spain – I hesitate to put the oven on – however I am going to brave it!!!
    Thanks for your inspiration!

• chicaandaluza August 4, 2011 at 16:43 #

I know what you mean – I often pick up my messages first thing in the morning and am fantasising about dinner (and cocktails) before I´ve even had breakfast! Just read your article about organic produce – very, very interesting and close to my heart. Thanks for stopping by and commenting – hope to see you back again soon!

20. Christina August 6, 2011 at 17:17 #

Mmmmm…this looks delicious! I love tomato tarts! :)

• chicaandaluza August 7, 2011 at 11:26 #

Anything with tomato is good as far as I´m concerned…love them!

1. Red and pink | olivesandartichokes - August 2, 2011

[...] Two of them are now in the oven, as I write, sliced into my version of Chica Andaluza’s almost tarte tatin – my version because I didn’t have any of her delicious cream cheese, so I just added herbs, [...]

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

The Quilt Meister

Sewing anything and everything.

Gather and Graze

Thoughts on how to choose, prepare and eat delicious food

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Living the Dream Up A Mountain Somewhere In Andalucia

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

IamSimplyTia

Simple Girl In My Own Simple World

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 692 other followers