A Glimpse of Galicia

23 Sep

Our recent trip took us first to Galicia for three nights.  Our journey was a long one and took about 12 hours of driving, but with plenty of stops for refreshments and a little sightseeing along the way.

Because we live in the province of Malaga in southern Spain, we went west and then up through Portugal.  We made a sightseeing stop in Porto to stretch our legs and to see the Dom Luis I iron bridge which was designed by a partner of the famous Eiffel.

I loved this shot of the bridge (below), although it´s not the best in the world, as you can see boats under it, cars on it, people walking across, the metro rail above it and a helicopter flying over it.

Our hotel  near Portonovo was called Hotel Peregrina.  This is a word used for a female pilgrim, but also for scallops, which are the symbol of the Camino de Santiago, the famous pilgrims walk which has many footpaths and trails across Spain and from beyond.  On our travels we saw plenty of scallops.

The first day we went to visit an Island called La Toja which juts out into one of the Rias Baixas.

It has a chapel covered with scallop shells.

And of course, the boat trips to see where their famous shellfish is grown.  We saw mussels, and ate plenty too.

Naturally, they were proud of their scallops.

Later we headed off to a nearby city, Pontevedra, the capital of the province.  The city built up over time from the middle ages as a trading port.

The next day we drove northwards to Santiago de Compostela to see the beautiful cathedral, reputedly the burial place of St James (Sant Iago) and built between 1075 and 1122 – no mean feat when you see it!

It´s famous for it´s “Botafumeiro” (do look it up if you´re interested) which is swung via a pulley and is filled with incense.  One tradition says that it was used to mask the stench of the many unwashed pilgrims – which did make me giggle.  Sorry about the photo quality.

It´s a pretty city too, there´s plenty more to see apart from the cathedral.

We travelled back from Santiago on our last afternoon in Galicia on a quiet coastal road and stopped off in a beautiful fishing village called Carril, when the sun finally came out for us. I briefly felt like Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote here as it had a “Cabot Cove” feel to it!

It´s famous for its clams, and we peeked into the storage area to see the boxes and boxes of clams waiting to be sent off to restaurants, shops and all over Spain.

A final stop in “our” town of Portonovo, and the sun was still shining, so we took a walk along the beautiful sandy beach front.  People was still bathing and enjoying the sunny evening, but accustomed as we are to the heat of Andalucía, we didn´t brave the water.

And then it was our last night in Galicia.  We ate a superb dinner of rice and lobster, and it was time the next morning to start the next part of trip to Asturias.  But more of that another time. Do hope you enjoyed sharing our journey with us!

About these ads

48 Responses to “A Glimpse of Galicia”

1. serenityinthestorm September 23, 2011 at 15:54 #

What beautiful architecture and scenery. Thanks for the photo journey!

2. spicegirlfla September 23, 2011 at 16:25 #

I do so love “touring” with you! The cathedral is so stunningly historic. I love how the city has those narrow charming streets and that iron bridge is stricking. Fantastic trip!! Thanks always for sharing these new places to me!!

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 17:39 #

It was good to have you with us! I love all those narrow streets and hidden alleyways – very atmospheric.

3. nuvofelt September 23, 2011 at 16:54 #

Amazing pictures.

4. thecompletecookbook September 23, 2011 at 16:58 #

Than you for sharing more of your wonderful trip with us and such beautiful photographs.
    Have a happy weekend. :-) Mandy

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 17:38 #

Thanks Mandy – it was fun for me to go through the photos :) Have a great weekend too!

5. chaiselongue1 September 23, 2011 at 18:34 #

It’s lovely to see all the shellfish and I’ve always wanted to go to Santiago de Compostela….not as a pilgrim, of course! I will one day, but in the meantime it’s great to visit it virtually through your photos and description. I think I’d have given the sea a miss, too, being used to the Mediterranean!

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 18:46 #

Yes, we didn´t go as pilgrims. And it was funny, out of all the churches and cathedrals we went into, the one at Santiago gave me the least “feeling” (if you know what I mean), And as for that sea…way too cold for us mediterranean mermaids :)

6. ChgoJohn September 23, 2011 at 18:41 #

Enjoy sharing the journey? Even though I’ve been to Spain twice, I’ve not been to your neck of the woods, so to speak. You appear to travel in much the same way that I do and your eye catches much the same things that mine tends to favor. So, yes, I enjoy sharing your journey and can’t wait for the next installment.

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 18:48 #

Aah – thank you so much. It´s funny, I was thinking about what I now like to enjoy on holiday. When I was younger it was two weeks on a beach with a trashy novel. As I got older it was more frantic sighseeing and city breaks – now it´s about soaking up the atmosphere, taking it at my pace, not planning too much and enjoying the food and drink!

7. sportsglutton September 23, 2011 at 18:50 #

Amazing pictures of the scallops and clams. :-)

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 18:58 #

It was amazing that the guy never fell in – the floating beds were all slippery!

8. Mad Dog September 23, 2011 at 18:53 #

Fantastic – there was some good footage of the cathedral and Botafumerio in Rick Stein’s recent Spanish series. He did a great job of covering Galicia and Asturias, though his pronunciations leaves a lot to be desired! Not quite as interesting as your account though ;-)

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 18:59 #

Oh I haven´t seen that – will have to look out for the DVD when I´m in London next month as I really like Rick Stein´s cooking and books etc. Thanks for your kind words!

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 23, 2011 at 18:59 #

Oh amazing. Can’t stay long off to Expedia, code word Spain. Ha. Seriously, great photos.

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 19:18 #

You´ve had a holiday already…wait your turn!

10. foodblogandthedog September 23, 2011 at 19:08 #

I really want to go to Galicia it looks so green compared to here and I know the food is supposed to be amazing. But most of all I want to go because I love Albarino, it’s my favourite wine!! Did you partake at all? Or were you too busy being Angela Landsbury…

• chicaandaluza September 23, 2011 at 19:20 #

In my time off from being a middle aged lady detective I scrupulously researched the Albarino! Love it too and I also loved that all the restaurants and bars used beautiful wine glasses (certainly unlike up my mountain) and they always came out very flamboyantly with the glass and the bottle on a tray and served you with a great flourish at the table. Classy!

11. ceciliag September 23, 2011 at 21:09 #

Oh you found a bridge for me!! YAY. and that cathedral interior, who could pray i would be all goggle eyed! lovely to see your travels.. oo I want some flamboyant service too! c

• chicaandaluza September 24, 2011 at 10:03 #

I forgot you liked bridges! Will have to send you one from last year when we crossed a hugely long bridge over to Lisbon…can´t remember what it was called though. And it´s true – in those cathedrals, there´s too much going on to find much inner calm!

12. bitsandbreadcrumbs September 23, 2011 at 21:50 #

Looks like such a fun adventure…beaches, cathedrals, scallops, mussels and lobster, heavenly!

• chicaandaluza September 24, 2011 at 10:03 #

Oh indeed it was – a little bit of almost everything!

13. gardenfreshtomatoes September 23, 2011 at 22:17 #

More, please.
    Pretty please?

• chicaandaluza September 24, 2011 at 10:04 #

Ah – thank you! And yes…more to come in a few days :) Thank goodness we were only away for 8 days – I can´t imagine how many photos I would have taken if it had been longer.

14. ambrosiana September 24, 2011 at 14:08 #

Looking at your pics, you must have had such a great time in this fascinating region -Galicia!! Again, I have not been there but your brillinat description took them there!!!

• chicaandaluza September 24, 2011 at 15:47 #

Thanks so much! I am inspired by your travel blogs – do hope you have another trip planned soon :)

15. ambrosiana September 24, 2011 at 14:18 #

Sorry! I meant took me there!!!!!

16. JamieAnne September 24, 2011 at 17:12 #

What wonderful pictures! Beautiful!!

17. Bluejellybeans September 25, 2011 at 01:16 #

¡Qué bonitas fotos! Muchas gracias por la visita, me siento como si hubiese estado allí. Un viaje que tengo pendiente todavía por hacer…

• chicaandaluza September 25, 2011 at 10:55 #

¡Gracias! Es un viajie que queriamos hacer para mucho tiempo. Era increible – te lo consejo!

18. naimh lye September 25, 2011 at 15:04 #

Delighted to hear you and the big man finally got a break and got to relax at your pace. Beautiful photo’s and personal tour of Galicia though I do not understand the ‘Too cold for swimming’ concept . . . . . you are supposed to be a hardened Brit at heart. We will have to get you swimming in the Serpentine swimming club when your back in London in October ……… they are generally red & purple bodied when they get out ! ! I’ll jump in if you do . . . . dare you ! Bee x

• chicaandaluza September 25, 2011 at 15:34 #

I´ll pack my cossie – but you do know that I´ve not even been in the English sea since I was about 4 years old…I´m a warm blooded Italian inside!

19. Tandy September 27, 2011 at 10:43 #

stunning pics! I really have to get my holiday post done :)

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:20 #

Thanks Tandy – and looking forward to seeing yours. It´s nice to travel “virtually””

20. Fired Up Cooking SA September 27, 2011 at 20:49 #

That was a beautiful read and stunning pics, Chica. Thank you. The more I read your blog the more I want to visit Spain and Portugal….can’t even begin to tell you how different it is from the part of Africa I belong to. The ‘ancientness’ of Europe amazes me. Thank you for sharing! Hugs.

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 22:32 #

So glad you enjoyed it. I guess we always want to learn more about and see what is different to us. I am yearning to go to Africa (some of the south at least) I only know a little of north Africa which is quite, quite different. Having said that, we are lucky to have so many lovely places so close to us. All the best to you!

21. PendleStitches September 28, 2011 at 10:44 #

I want to cover my unappealing 70’s build house with scallop shells. So very pretty. Not entirely convinced that the neighbours (or the local authority for that matter) would approve, though!

22. Olga SE September 29, 2011 at 06:14 #

It sounds like a very busy trip. The views are magnificent. :)

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 10:32 #

It was busy, but with lots of relaxing and quiet times too – a perfect holiday!

23. thefooddoctor September 29, 2011 at 20:15 #

I love all the pictures..thank you so much for sharing with us :)
    I look forward to seeing more

24. ....RaeDi September 30, 2011 at 20:43 #

You and the Big Man had an amazing holiday, the pictures are all lovely… makes one want to head overseas again! ….RaeDi

1. Amazing Asturias – Part One | Chica Andaluza - October 5, 2011

[...] back over our photos of our recent holiday in Galicia and Asturias, I found it hard to pick just a few photos to share with you.  So….even though I left most of [...]

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 801 other followers