Chocolate Refrigerator Cake

23 Jan

The Spanish love sweet things.  I don´t think I´m making too much of a generalization with that statement.  Not that they´re greedy, but a little cake or biscuit is always most welcomed with a strong cup of coffee at the end of a meal, or a big bowl of milky coffee if it´s the start of the day.

Dealing with preparations for our unexpected lunch for 12, I was lucky that I had already made some of Spree´s gorgeous Mexican Wedding Cookies for an earlier family meal. The recipe makes plenty, and they were hugely popular. The only change I made to these, as I was in a rush, was to grind all the nuts (I used almonds and walnuts) and not chop half of them.  Lovely, lovely little biscuits and I´ll definitely be making them again.

Another quick recipe which came to mind was for Chocolate Refrigerator cake.  I made this the night before our lunch party and cut the cake into small squares the next morning.  These went down well too, and it´s a good recipe to make with little children as you only need a (supervised) heat source for melting.

Here´s the way I made it, although you can chop and change (or even omit) the fruit/nut filling.

250g crushed digestive biscuits (graham crackers)
100g butter
2 tablespoons of golden syrup or honey
3 level tablespoons of cocoa powder
About half a cup of “filling” – I used the last of my drained boozy fruits and added the grated zest of one lemon and one orange

Melt the butter with the golden syrup and cocoa then add to the crushed biscuits and filling.  Mix well until everything is well coated. If you leave some large chunks of biscuit/cracker, you will have some pretty speckles in the finished “cake”.

Pour into a tin lined with cling film, flatten and press it with your finger tips then cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight until firm.

Cut into squares – it´s very rich so I tend to do “bite sized”. And that´s it. Doesn´t get much quicker or easier does it?!

About these ads

66 Responses to “Chocolate Refrigerator Cake”

1. the island traveler January 23, 2012 at 13:14 #

Looks and sounds delicious. I grew up around sweets …thus my weakness for them. I would crave for them each meal….as for coffee…can’t live without it. sweets and coffee equals heavenly delight. Wonderful post….best wishes.

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 14:13 #

Ah thank you so much. I´m not very “sweet toothed” but every so often…and definitely with a strong cup of coffee :)

2. TBM January 23, 2012 at 13:40 #

I love sweet things…maybe I am destined to live in Spain! Looks good!

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 14:14 #

You´d be spoilt for choice here with the Arabic influence on lots of little pastries!

3. Food,Photography & France January 23, 2012 at 13:46 #

Reminds me of Churros and coffee on Spanish trips. Nice recipes.

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 14:15 #

Oh yes, churros are great and with that really thick hot chocolate – perfect for breakfast or tea time!

4. Mad Dog January 23, 2012 at 13:47 #

Yum – I bet they loved it/them ;-)

5. thecompletecookbook January 23, 2012 at 14:14 #

Ooh yummy – love a little treat with my tea. Your fridge cake reminds me of my MIL’s recipe – cool! Both this and the wedding cookies are so homely -lovely!
    Think I would become the size of a house if I had to come and visit you for too long. :-) Mandy

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 14:16 #

That´s probably why I´m not a skinny Minnie myself :( Sweets are a big treat though – rarely eaten but very much enjoyed when we do have them!

6. mcfdekker January 23, 2012 at 14:32 #

Oh yum! I’ll have to give the cake a try, funny enough I was watching a cooking show the other day on Dutch TV and he was making a similar refrigerator cake! Thanks for the recipe!

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 16:11 #

Glad you like it – I guess it´s not a true chocolate cake for real choccy fans, but it hits the spot and is quick and tasty!

7. spree January 23, 2012 at 14:36 #

Once again, I just have to give an appreciative bow to you Tanya for putting such a gorgeous feast together for friends, with such short notice! And noticing Rogers’s comment above, I’m wondering about (read: hoping for) a recipe for Spanish churros and your wonderful hot chocolate. (or maybe you already have one?) (And by the way, so happy to hear you liked the Mexican wedding cookies!)

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 16:14 #

Thank you Spree – no I haven´t done a recipe yet for churros and chocolate as I have never made them at home (shame on me!). But now you´ve mentioned it I´m just going to have to rise to the challenge! I made some more of the cookies recently and gave a few to my neighbour who looked after my dogs for a couple of days. When I saw her to pick the pooches up she said (ever so seriously) “please don´t ever give me any more of those cookies Tanya”. I guess she saw the shocked look on my face (thinking she hadn´t enjoyed them). It seems she had scoffed the lot and her partner hadn´t even got a look in so she was in his bad books :)

• spree January 23, 2012 at 19:31 #

That’s adorable! :) And oh I do hope you “rise to the challenge” – I’ll rise right behind you! Would LOVE to know how to make churros!

8. The Spain Scoop - Scoopette January 23, 2012 at 15:01 #

These look yummy and easy. Thanks.

9. Mint Cuisine January 23, 2012 at 15:26 #

Check out my version of Chocolate Fridge Cake here: http://mintcuisinefoodblog.com/2012/01/17/chocolate-fridge-cake/

I personally prefer more chocolate – but yours still looks yummy and of course healthier than mine!

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 16:18 #

Hi Mint Cuisine and thanks for stopping by and commenting (oh and I see you´ve subscribed too, so thank you!). Yes, it´s not heavy on the chocolate, maybe becuase I´m not a huge chocolate fan, but the flavour was quite intense. Am off now to check out your recipe as Big Man is a HUGE fan!

10. Karen January 23, 2012 at 15:50 #

This sounds like a lovely recipe, especially with the boozy fruit. I’m sure you hate that it is finished.

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 16:16 #

Good things have to come to an end some time :( However, now it´s orange time here and that always makes me happy!

11. gardenfreshtomatoes January 23, 2012 at 16:20 #

I’ve never heard of this! I will be trying it, and soon!

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 17:34 #

It was new to me when I first made it a few years back…now it´s a favourite!

12. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 23, 2012 at 16:56 #

Must make boozy fruit, for real this time! And those cookies are on my list too. Everything looks and sounds great.

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 17:33 #

“For real” – made me laugh remembering your previous experience! The cookies are great and you can use anything in them (or nothing) whatever takes your fancy…

13. Florence January 23, 2012 at 17:32 #

Hi T, Love the idea and look of the refrigerator cake.TFS.
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 17:44 #

It´s so simple and pretty much made with ingredients we have in the despensa!

14. ChgoJohn January 23, 2012 at 18:11 #

I have to give you credit, Tanya. You certainly did dot all of your i’s and cross all of your t’s, making sure your family was very well cared for. I am certain they had a fantastic time, one that you will all remember and talk about, the memories of which you’ll all cherish. You did your parents proud!

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 21:43 #

Well, they were splodgy i´s and wonky t´s some of the time, but that´s half the fun!

15. peasepudding January 23, 2012 at 20:15 #

Those wedding biscuits have been on my list forever to make, they look so yummy, I’m sure guest will have adored them. I think I would be happy in Spain since i have a sweet tooth.

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 21:42 #

Thank Spree for those – they are soooo good! And yes, Spain loves a person with a sweet tooth (and carnivores) :)

16. promenadeplantings January 23, 2012 at 20:47 #

You have just answered a previously unknown! Graham crackers. Until now I was clueless as to what they were. So good old digestive biscuits. Doh!!! Never mind, you’re a star for enlightening me :) And the recipe is going in my favourites tab for later. I love the idea of fridge food :)

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 21:41 #

I don´t think they´re EXACTLY the same (and I am a bit biased as I love digestives) but my Californian neighbour had a very long conversation about this once (!) and decided that they are they substitutes one for the other. And you almost don´t need a fridge where you are right now – just stick it outside to cool!

• promenadeplantings January 24, 2012 at 17:10 #

I’m imaginging the conversation :) and outside in the cold – and let marcel chomp on it before we do!! Laughs……

17. Charles January 23, 2012 at 21:51 #

Hi Chica – I love refrigerator cake. Have you ever seen/heard of tiffin cake before? It’s pretty much the same thing, often with raisins, and you can usually find it in English cake shops. Really, really delicious, yours looks so beautiful. I can imagine the crispiness mixed with the squidge of the chocolate.

I like to use crushed shortbread when I make refrigerator cake because I like the extra butteryness it imparts :)

• Chica Andaluza January 23, 2012 at 21:57 #

Have never heard of tiffin cake and I just love the thought of it because it reminds me of Carry On Films (another dirty secret of mine!) specifically Carry on Up the Khyber. Oh dear…am rambling. The idea of using shortbread in refrigerator cake is fantastic – what a luxurious buttery taste!

18. Javi&Palace January 23, 2012 at 23:08 #

Olé que arte la Chica Andalusa killo!! LOL

I guess that you are surely used to that kind of expressions, so typical in the nether regions of Spain :)

I got your blog through the Kay’s Pure Complex one. When I read your gravatar, I just felt so curious, that I wanted to check it :)

Me alegro de haber encontrado éste blog, amiga!
    have a nice day.

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 05:36 #

Hola Javi y gracias por haber pasado aqui por mi blog y haber dejado un comentario. Pues, si, ¡ahora estoy acustumbrada a este tipo de expresion! Will go and have a look at your blog now. Un saludo

19. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 24, 2012 at 00:00 #

I’ve never tried a refrigerator cake, but yours looks/sounds really, really good. I love chocolate especially mixed with a fruit, and this made with your boozy fruit, well, gee, how could that be anything but great? :)

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 05:43 #

Thank you Betsy – I especially like it as I am not a huge fan of sweet things so you can just cut yourself the perfect sized chunk!

20. Caroline January 24, 2012 at 02:32 #

Wow, a bit stressful (lunch for 12)!! I’m sure everything was a hit, these look fantastic. :)

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 05:43 #

Thanks Caroline – it all worked out ok on the day :)

21. Kay aka Babygirl January 24, 2012 at 06:20 #

I know I’m not Spanish.. but I love sweet things as well lol. But I do have to curve my sweet tooth to make sure I am healthy. This chocolate cake looks so decadent and delish! Wonderful post

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 15:15 #

I think a sweet tooth is common the world over – and a little bit of something naughty every now and then is not soooo bad ;)

22. Tandy January 24, 2012 at 08:30 #

love this cake!

23. Calico Stretch January 24, 2012 at 09:32 #

Damnit. Now I have to make this too! Are you trying to kill me? Yum! :o))

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 15:17 #

Sorry :( But thanks for all your lovely comments!

24. TheDorsetFinca January 24, 2012 at 10:18 #

This is my all-time favourite. YUM. x

25. Bluejellybeans January 24, 2012 at 16:23 #

¡Qué ricos! Fantásticas recetas Tanya.
    Algunas veces cuando busco recetas he visto la de los pastelitos de boda mejicanos y nunca me he visto tentada a hacerlos, pero si me dices que están buenos… te creo :)
    Tendré que hacerlos y ese pastel de chocolate seguro que también.

Saludos
    G

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 17:06 #

Los pastelitos de boda mejicanos (que ahora están nombrados por Big Man como los pastelitos de amor en nuestra casa :) ) han sido un éxito enorme…mi consejo es de hacerlos muy pronto!

26. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise January 24, 2012 at 16:26 #

My mum used to make something like the refrigerator cake but without the fruits.
    We used to love it as kids.
    Thank you for the mexican cookies. They look SO GOOD and tempting to try

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 17:08 #

I can´t take credit for the Mexican cookies but can highly recommend making them – they´re wonderful. And I think the refrigerator cake is probably more typically made (especially for children) more simply and without the fruit…either way, it´s very good!

27. spicegirlfla January 24, 2012 at 18:22 #

Both treats sounds delicious!! The cookies would go very quickly, I love the combination of nuts and well as for the chocolate…how can you go wrong with that!! Love how you can pull together such a fabulous lunch on the spur of the moment!!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2012 at 18:33 #

Thanks Linda – it was not as stressful as I thought it would be – the Spanish are not so big on formality (at least round here they´re not) and we were in the garden so it was all pretty relaxed. Can´t recommend those Mexican Wedding Cookies highly enough!

28. Stefanie January 25, 2012 at 00:19 #

Yum! Quick and easy chocolate treats are always a plus in my book :)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2012 at 10:09 #

You can´t go wrong with this one! Thanks for visiting…

29. Christina January 25, 2012 at 01:33 #

Gotta love easy desserts! I have never had a refrigerator cake, I will have to give it a try! :)

30. rsmacaalay January 25, 2012 at 09:46 #

I guess that Spanish quality of loving sweets is handed over to the Filipinos. We love our sweets as well and your post is no exception

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2012 at 10:06 #

I guess it must have been – don´t know much about Filipino desserts and sweets, will have to have a look at some of your recipes :)

31. kathryningrid January 27, 2012 at 05:52 #

I love this kind of refrigerator treats! You’ve reminded me I have some “fixings” for such goodies handy and ought to put a batch together tomorrow! Hurray!! Thanks for the good reminder. :)

32. Michi January 28, 2012 at 01:37 #

A cookie post! You had me drooling with the chocolate cake. Mmmmmm which made me think of brownies. I’ve been dying to make a brownie recipe I spotted in The Londoner. Can’t wait to go to Córdoba so I can kindly borrow my cuñada’s oven and make something sinful!

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 844 other followers