Seared Scallops with Spinach in Black Bean Sauce

19 Jan

Quick doesn’t have to be boring – especially when it comes to food. Top quality ingredients will give you amazing tasting food, and you don’t always have to spend hours preparing it with a long list of ingredients. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy making complex meals too, but here’s a fast food experience that will be ready in less time than it takes to wait for a food delivery.

Scallops with Spinach & Blackbean Sauce (2)

Ingredients per person

• 4-6 fresh scallops
  • 2 cups of washed spinach (roughly chopped)
  • About 6 mushrooms, sliced not too thinly
  • 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
  • A little oil for frying
  • 1 tablespoon of black bean sauce
  • Soy sauce
  • Lemon or lime juice

Start by gently frying the mushrooms in a little oil and when they start to soften, add the garlic and spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.

On a hot griddle or under a hot grill, quickly cook the scallops on both sides (this can take less than a minute per side).

Stir the black bean sauce and about a teaspoon of soy sauce into the spinach and mushrooms. Serve the scallops on top of the vegetables with a little squeeze of lemon or lime juice.

About these ads

59 Responses to “Seared Scallops with Spinach in Black Bean Sauce”

1. Mad Dog January 19, 2014 at 20:15 #

Delicious and very true. Some things, such as scallops, are better cooked quickly too ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 19, 2014 at 20:37 #

Oh indeed – nothing worse than tough, overcooked scallops – well, there are worse things…but you know what I mean!

• Mad Dog January 20, 2014 at 03:06 #

Overcooked would be quite bad – there’s nothing more disappointing than food that’s gone wrong.

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:36 #

Yes, tough overcooked anything is not good :(

2. themateriallady January 19, 2014 at 20:42 #

This looks delicious! Hopefully I will be able to bring some scallops up when I dive this year.

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:33 #

Oh my word – I can only imagine how fresh and sweet they would be!

• themateriallady January 20, 2014 at 19:53 #

Scrummy. But I prefer to play with them and make them swim – they look like clockwork false teeth! (Think Bedknobs and Broomsticks)

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:54 #

Ha ha – I can imagine it exactly!

3. cecilia January 19, 2014 at 20:43 #

sounds just fab, c

4. Melissa's Menu January 19, 2014 at 20:47 #

You have outdone yourself, that looks so delicious!

5. Karen January 19, 2014 at 21:04 #

You are so right, scallops are so quickly prepared and your Asian flavored dish sounds delicious.

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:34 #

It added just a nice little hint of extra flavour!

6. restlessjo January 19, 2014 at 23:11 #

My kind of food, Tanya. Quick and easy :) Thank you!

7. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 19, 2014 at 23:54 #

Fresh. Fast. Fabulous. Love it!

8. Eha January 20, 2014 at 01:09 #

I’ll certainly try this variation ~ have cooked mostly Asian for some three decades or more but never used black bean sauce with spinach! What a lovely ‘soft’ tasting flavouring to use!!!

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:35 #

It was quite delicate as I didn’t want to lose that gorgeous scallop flavour!

9. Gather and Graze January 20, 2014 at 02:30 #

LOVE this kind of Fast Food Tanya! Those scallops look absolutely delicious!

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:35 #

They’re a big favourite here and not too expensive right now for us as they are local and in season!

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 20, 2014 at 05:01 #

Sounds like the perfect fast food to me :)

11. 76sanfermo January 20, 2014 at 08:22 #

It sounds more than delicious!
    THANK YOU!

12. frugalfeeding January 20, 2014 at 10:11 #

That looks beautiful – I’d love to dig in to a plate like that.

13. TBM January 20, 2014 at 11:21 #

I’m not a huge scallops fan, but I have to admit this looks mighty tasty.

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:37 #

Some people just don’t like the texture – but these local ones are almost impossible to resist!

14. gardenfreshtomatoes January 20, 2014 at 12:05 #

Oooh, love the black bean sauce in this! Winter’s a great time for scallops around here, as long as the fleet can get out!

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:38 #

It must be a little wilder at sea where you are than in the English Channel I think!

15. Food,Photography & France January 20, 2014 at 14:02 #

This is such a delicious dish. I can’t think why I haven’t cooked it for so long. Maybe it’s because it makes me think of chinese restaurants which are now a thing of the past to me:)

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 19:38 #

For me too – even though we’re currently in England, I can’t remember the last time I went to a Chinese Restaurant!

16. Peri's Spice Ladle January 20, 2014 at 21:20 #

Just the mushroom and spinach look good enough to eat, add scallops to it and there’s pure magic in the meal:)

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2014 at 23:12 #

I think the spinach and mushrooms would be great with rice as a meal!

17. narf77 January 21, 2014 at 01:15 #

(Forgive me warming up for this…”mee-mee-mee-meeeeeeee…aHEM…”) “Happy birthday to youuuuuu…Happy Birthday to Youuuuu…Happy Birthday Ms. Chica Andalusia….Happy Birthday Toooooo YOOOOOUUUUU!” Here’s to a magnificent day spent in the company of gorgeous people, quaffing and eating whatever you fancy and enjoying yourself to the max, becuase you are one amazing Chica ma’am :) Love, hugs kisses and slobbers from everyone on Serendipity Farm who are all (including the dogs) going to raise a glass to you later on today :) (before anyone reports me to the R.S.P.C.A. “Water folks…the dogs will have water!” ;) )

• Chica Andaluza January 21, 2014 at 10:39 #

Ah, this was wonderful! I can hear your dulcet tones ringing in my ears (in a good way!). How lovely of you to remember….am having a lazy morning with coffee and my favourite sourdough bread and tomato, then a couple of hours work (glossing skirting boards today), then best pal arrives and drink with pals, then off for a curry (yum!) so a good day planned. Love to you all too – you’ve made my day :)

• narf77 January 21, 2014 at 17:15 #

A curry you say Ms Chica? I haven’t had a curry in AGES and if there is one thing that Ms narf does pretty well, it is a nice curry. Only found my curry leaves in the back of the cupboard the other day. I think its a sign! ;) So glad you had an amazing day. I probably (not the word “probably” now I am 50 I won’t ever take my brain activity as a given any more!) will remember your birthday from now on as it is the same day as Madeline’s :)

• Chica Andaluza January 22, 2014 at 16:48 #

Ooh it was GOOD! And now I won’t forget Madeline’s birthday either (or her name – the same as my beautiful god daughter)!

• narf77 January 22, 2014 at 17:29 #

It is a very small world :). Is it spelled the same way? Most of the time it is spelled “Madeleine” (like that series of vintage books). Madeline was named after that amazing American comedienne Madeline Khan :)

• Chica Andaluza January 22, 2014 at 17:31 #

Mine’s different again – she’s Madelaine!

• narf77 January 22, 2014 at 17:41 #

LOL! They keep coming up with all of these variations and every time you think you spell them right, you get the evil eye ;)

18. TheDorsetFinca January 21, 2014 at 11:14 #

We adore scallops and this recipe looks delicious. My only trouble is that I blink and I’ve overdone them…

• Chica Andaluza January 21, 2014 at 14:37 #

It’s easily done. I’ve found that if I leave them out of the fridge for an hour or so before cooking to really get them to room temperature then put them on the hottest griddle possible, they cook perfectly!

• TheDorsetFinca January 21, 2014 at 14:43 #

Great tip – thanks! :)

• Chica Andaluza January 21, 2014 at 14:45 #

You are most welcome – hope it works for you!

19. Val January 21, 2014 at 22:41 #

Looks amazing – if only scallops could grow in allotments!

20. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen January 22, 2014 at 03:48 #

As soon as I read “scallops” and quick doesn’t have to be boring.. I’ve pinned this one to try:) I love scallops (as do the rest of my family) and am so wanting new weeknight fast recipes that don’t require a ton of measuring and fussing about! And it’s healthy as well!!

• Chica Andaluza January 22, 2014 at 16:54 #

The healthy bit was an added bonus – do hope you’ll enjoy it if you make it!

21. Amanda January 23, 2014 at 01:12 #

I totally agree with you on this meal. The best ingredients will speak for themselves and these scallops seem to have done just that. Muy bien hecho!

22. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 25, 2014 at 19:58 #

You do such wonderful things with seafood!

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 20:02 #

We’re very lucky in both Spain and England to have really great fish and seafood so easily available! Thanks for the kind words :)

23. Charles January 26, 2014 at 23:48 #

I have an odd relationship with scallops. I’m still undecided as to whether I like them or not. I think if they’re good ones – the really big, fat ones then they can be fantastic when cooked well. Seafood in black bean sauce though is amazing isn’t it?! Looks great Chica :)

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2014 at 19:26 #

I can understand your feelings – some people just don’t like the texture. The ones here in season over the winter are big fat juicy Rye Bay Scallops – we love them!

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Living the Dream Up A Mountain Somewhere In Andalucia

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 791 other followers