Crab, Lemon, Chili and Ricotta Ravioli and Mushroom and Tomato Ravioli

24 Jan

That’s a whole lot of ravioli, but as Chgo John will confirm, if you’re going to make ravioli, you may as well make plenty!

Ravioli (7)

A previous ravioli making session confirmed that they’re much easier and more fun to make if you work with friends. A recent Sunday lunch with girlfriends was a hands on affair – cooking first, eating later, but all accompanied with laughter, wine and chatting.

Ravioli (1)

We made half a kilo of pasta (500g of flour with 5 eggs, salt and a splash of olive oil) and two fillings. Weights are approximate, but will make filling for about 25 ravioli per filling and you may find you have enough pasta left over for making a little batch of tagliatelle.

Lemon & Chilli Filling

• About 200g fresh ricotta
  • Approx 200g cooked crab meat (white and dark)
  • 1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
  • The grated zest of a lemon
  • 1 small red chilli, deseeded (or not!) and very finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together, taste and adjust seasoning and use to fill your ravioli. We served these with melted butter melted butter mixed with a little crème fraiche, lemon zest and fresh rosemary with parmesan.

Ravioli (11)

Mushroom Filling with Tomato Sauce

• 1 dozen medium sized mushrooms and stalks very finely chopped and fired gently with 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon of finely chopped rosemary until softened
  • About 125g mascarpone cheese
  • ¼ teaspoon of smoked pimentón
  • ½ ball of mozzarella, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • About 2 cups of thick homemade tomato sauce
  • Fresh parmesan

Mix together the mushrooms, pimentón, mascarpone and mozzarella to form a paté type paste, season and adjust if necessary. Use to fill your ravioli and serve with tomato sauce and freshly grated or thinly sliced parmesan.

About these ads

62 Responses to “Crab, Lemon, Chili and Ricotta Ravioli and Mushroom and Tomato Ravioli”

1. Amanda January 24, 2014 at 16:49 #

No you didnt! Actually one of the best nights I had last year was making ravioli with friends. It’s tedious, but if there are drinks and good music, it’s fun. I love love love that you did this. It looks amazing. I wish I could have been there!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:39 #

I wouldn’t make them every day, or even every week, but it’s good fun to make a big batch!

2. thecompletebook January 24, 2014 at 17:33 #

I want to like this a million times over – I can almost taste our decadent and scrumptious these are! I will dream of this post tonight.
    Have a wonderful weekend Tanya. :-) Mandy xo

• Soup Guru January 24, 2014 at 17:46 #

Yummy!!! After these pictures I will have to have fresh pasta this weekend! I’m not sure if i’m brave enough to make my own dough, but maybe I’ll try. I love ricotta ravioli, very typical Sunday family lunch in Argentina, reminds me of my grannie. Cheers and have a great weekend!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:41 #

Never thought of this as something eaten in Argentina – you see, you learn something new every day through blogging! Making your own really is pretty simple if you have a pasta machine to roll it out nice and thin, but hard work if you don’t :(

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:39 #

A million likes – I could go viral ;) Have a great weekend too Mandy!

3. Food,Photography & France January 24, 2014 at 17:41 #

That sounds so good….I’ve just never got into making my own pasta…I know I should but…..:)

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:40 #

I wouldn’t do it without my little roller machine, I have to be honest! But once you get going, just making ordinary pasta really doesn’t take long at all for a little batch.

4. newsanchortohomemaker January 24, 2014 at 18:31 #

Raviolis are so challenging, but worth it! Your filling sounds really tasty!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 23:32 #

Yes, they do take a little time to prepare what with the doigh and the filling then getting it all together, but as you say – worth it! Thanks for stopping by and welcome!

5. narf77 January 24, 2014 at 18:41 #

Now THAT is how to spend time with friends :). Food, wine, good company and something to do that produces a most satisfactory result (a pleasantly sozzled bevy of friends completely satiated with the whole experience :) ). I spent yesterday researching how to make soba noodles. I must admit, your ravioli leave my soba for dead! You should have added LOTS of garlic. That way you get to enjoy your meal for 2 days! ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:43 #

We found that as the session went on the ravioli got a bit more mis-shapen….I blame the wine! AM curious now about the noodles – would never have thought of making my own. Do hope you give them a go and then share the benefit of your experience with us!

• narf77 January 25, 2014 at 02:34 #

I love the idea of shoving the dough into a garbage bag and treading vigorously on it for about an hour. My idea is to whack Regatta de blanc on Youtube (entire album) and leap around pogoing to The Police for the entire time. May as well have fun at the same time methinks ;). I will most certainly discuss my findings on the blog. I must admit, I found a MUCH easier recipe for udon from a very attractive Japanese lady and her grandmother that involved the curious step of microwaving the dough for 30 seconds which I guess negates the Regatta de Blanc? Methinks my Christmas bum might need a bit of Regatta de Blanc so I will save the microwave recipe till next time ;). I reckon it was a bad bottle of wine that made you fumble your ravioli. I would take the leftovers (ravioli, not wine… I am not stupid enough to imagine that there is any of THAT left over ;) ) down to the bottle shop where you bought it and demand a refund in full “just LOOK what it did to my ravioli and I had GUESTS YOU KNOW!” ;) You never know…delivered with enough chutzpah you might just get a free dozen (just to shut you up ;) )

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:44 #

Oh my that sounds like hard work – but sometimes it’s just what you need! That album takes me back to my teenage years…I think you’d need teenage energy for the noodle making :) I could try that tick with the wine but somehow I think my face is too well known in all the places they sell wine round here…. :(

• narf77 January 25, 2014 at 21:20 #

Time to head further afield Ms Chicca…where they know you not and the wine floweth freely (to those who are bolshie enough to try and press the point ;) ). I can see me pogoing to “Dadoo doo doo…” can’t you? I would peter out halfway through but would rally the troupes for that last incredible drumming frenzy before I dropped to the floor in exhaustion…dough complete…narf7 deleted…energy spent, dough rent! ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 23:19 #

Da da da da…that’s all I want to say to you!

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 04:29 #

“De do do do, de da da da
        They’re meaningless and all that’s true ” like most of what I sing (I NEVER learn the words ;) )

6. {Main St. Cuisine} January 24, 2014 at 19:42 #

What a beautiful combination of flavors. I love anything with citrus right now (especially in the dreary days of winter), but then the chili is there to give it some heat. The fresh Parmesan on the finished dish is a must. Lovely post…thank you!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:43 #

And they were the last of the lemons from our tree in Spain that we bought over with us and had kept stored….a taste from home!

7. Lynda January 24, 2014 at 20:41 #

Oh my! You had me at ravioli!

• Chica Andaluza January 24, 2014 at 22:44 #

There’s something quite special about home made ravioli!

8. gardenfreshtomatoes January 24, 2014 at 22:05 #

Almost dinnertime here, and I know what I *wish* I was having! YUM!

9. TBM January 24, 2014 at 22:47 #

Um my mouth is watering and I love your theory–make lots!

10. Eha January 25, 2014 at 00:31 #

Love the fillings ~ you have given me a nudge ’cause have not made ravioli awhile – it is easy if you are in a mental state to relax and enjoy!!

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:39 #

It’s definitely not one to be rushed – put some good music on, pour a glass of wine and enjoy the process!

11. Michelle January 25, 2014 at 01:15 #

So fun! And your fillings sound great.

12. Mad Dog January 25, 2014 at 01:47 #

I would love to have grown up in Italy sitting round the table making pasta with the whole family. I gave up on ravioli moulds – I find it easier to roll them out and cut them on the kitchen table.
    Italy Unpacked on BBC4 was good tonight ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:42 #

We used to make it almost every day in the long summer holiday in Italy with my aunties and I have to say, that was my first experience with the ravioli mould ad we finished them up like you – cutting them out on the kitchen table! Much easier :)

• Mad Dog January 25, 2014 at 19:53 #

It’s a shame really – the moulds are so nice, but not easy.

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:55 #

I agree, I tried flouring them but just ended up with floury ravioli. The old ways are the best!

13. Gather and Graze January 25, 2014 at 02:08 #

What a fabulous idea to make these with friends and then to sit down and eat together! Sounds like a lot of fun and they look wonderful.

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:42 #

I enjoy cooking like that sometimes – like a little pasta workshop!

14. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 25, 2014 at 05:59 #

I would have left very to join you! Both sound delicious :)

15. Karen January 25, 2014 at 15:38 #

What a fun and delicious evening. Good food shared with good friends…it doesn’t get much better than that. :)

16. TheDorsetFinca January 25, 2014 at 17:18 #

You are so talented…. I’ve never been brave enough to make my own pasta… and ravioli is on a whole other level of scariness!

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:48 #

It’s really not that difficult and I found it easier not using the mould, just laying one sheet of pasta over the other with the filling inside and using a little glass to cut out circles – and it’s worth the effort, I promise you!

17. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 25, 2014 at 19:56 #

Hmmm, what’s missing here. Kidding, I’m reading backwards. These look amazing.

18. foodgeckoblog January 27, 2014 at 14:39 #

Looks great! I have a homemade pasta recipe coming up on mine soon, yours look way tidier than mine and adore the choice of filling! Kudos

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2014 at 19:19 #

Hope yours is as much fun to make as ours! Thanks for popping by :)

19. Bluejellybeans January 27, 2014 at 16:49 #

Delicious! :)

20. ohlidia January 27, 2014 at 17:45 #

Holy Toledo! These look superb! I could just imagine how delicious they are!

21. Peri's Spice Ladle January 27, 2014 at 19:44 #

The ravioli looks so good and wholesome…and yes, I will add the crab-meat to it:)

22. kathryningrid January 28, 2014 at 04:10 #

(Swooning silently…)

23. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 29, 2014 at 20:34 #

I could eat my weight in this ravioli and, alas, that would be quite a LOT of ravioli. Both versions feature my favorite ingredients in a delicious pasta package. Lovely.

24. Charles February 3, 2014 at 23:09 #

Ha! Last time I tried to make ravioli I got mad as hell and it ended with me picking up the ball of dough and throwing it with far too much force than was necessary into the garbage can :p. This is very rare for me since I abhor food wastage but I. was. very. angry!

Commercially made ravioli is so dire though – something like that you really need to make yourself. I love the sound of the crab, lemon and chilli filling – sounds fantastic!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 11:40 #

It is a labour of love and I’ve now decided that it’s easier to cut out rounds rather than use the ravioli press!

25. ChgoJohn February 8, 2014 at 06:27 #

It’s taken me a while, Tanya, but I couldn’t let this post go without a response. This is a fantastic ravioli!!! Love the ingredients but, most of all, enjoyed learning that you gathered your friends to help. What a great way to spend an afternoon and wonderful dinner to make the occasion! Well done, Tanya! Thanks, too, for the shout-out. I just wish I could have joined in on the fun. :)

• Chica Andaluza February 8, 2014 at 10:06 #

It was you that inspired me to get making ravioli in the first placed – now I’m hooked! I found I had more success just cutting them out on the table (they were bigger too which was no bad thing!). You must be doing a lot of catching up/deleting right now ;)

26. idiosyncratic eye May 14, 2014 at 18:50 #

Mmm. :)

1. The Little Grey Cells…. | Chica Andaluza - January 25, 2014

[…] mine were on a go slow yesterday. I published a recipe for ravioli and today I was glossing paintwork and thinking about food, as you do. Thinking that it would be […]

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

Thoughts on how to choose, prepare and eat delicious food

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Living the Dream Up A Mountain Somewhere In Andalucia

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 764 other followers