The Little Grey Cells….

25 Jan

Fans of the fictional Agatha Christie Detective, Hercule Poirot will know what I am talking about. Those little grey cells in the brain which sort the information and keep things in order.

Clearly mine were on a go slow yesterday. I published a recipe for ravioli and today I was glossing paintwork and thinking about food, as you do. Thinking that it would be good to make more ravioli as they had been so good. Oh, I remembered, the taste of that fresh crab was amazing. Crab?! Yikes, I forgot to mention the key ingredient in my post. Which just goes to show that too many paint fumes combined with too much wine when cooking can indeed affect those little grey cells.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So to calm things down, I’m taking myself off to a peaceful place – a beach in the Cook Islands I visited at this time of year 9 years ago on my Round the World trip. Enjoy the view and apologies for the temporary brain malfunction!

About these ads

66 Responses to “The Little Grey Cells….”

1. {Main St. Cuisine} January 25, 2014 at 18:25 #

I’m certain we’ve all done that a time or two (I know I have) and without your excuse of the paint fumes. It was a beautiful recipe and mouth-watering photos none the less. I hope your time away is extra relaxing!

2. Mad Dog January 25, 2014 at 18:27 #

I’m sure it was the paint fumes ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:49 #

That’s what I’m blaming it on!

• Mad Dog January 25, 2014 at 19:54 #

It can’t be the wine ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:55 #

Maybe the last bottle was “off” ;)

3. narf77 January 25, 2014 at 19:02 #

No problemo with the omission ma’am…can’t eat the bloody stuff anyway! ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:50 #

I know :( I’ll make the original crab free recipe for you…oh no, you can’t eat the cheese either :( Will come up with a vegan one specially for you soon!

• narf77 January 25, 2014 at 21:21 #

YUM! I look forward to “Chiccas crab free, cheese free” variation with bated breath ;). Found a great vegan recipe for beetroot gnocchi on one of my weird and wonderful (need to use translation) Italian sites. Those Italians sure know how to shuffle a vegan treat in a most elegant way!

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 23:20 #

But have just realised that I’d need to make egg free pasta too – but that’s just like regular pasta anyway isn’t it? This could be exciting!

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 04:30 #

I have lost of egg free pasta recipes. I figure that the Italians only added eggs because it is harder to work with without them and we all know how “meh” Italians can be when it comes to work…almost as bad as the Spanish… “manana” ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 10:02 #

Oh dear – with an Italian “Papá” and a Spanish other half, it’s a wonder I ever get anything done! Looking forward to seeing your egg free pasta recipes so that I can experiment….

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 17:17 #

I KNEW I loved you for some reason! Sloths united ma’am! (a famous football club ;) )

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 18:54 #

Got the team kit for that!

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 20:23 #

Send me one. I will be the “Antipodean chapter” of the squad…cheering from the side of course (with a big wodge of cake in one hand and a thermos in the other ;) )

4. narf77 January 25, 2014 at 19:03 #

And that island is the stuff that heady half dead grey matter dreams are made of :). With you in a bikini (my spirit has chutzpah! ;) ) in spirit :)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:50 #

I may well have worn a bikini back then!

• narf77 January 25, 2014 at 21:22 #

If I wore a bikini back then you would have been unceremoniously drummed off the island by Greenpeace for not “rescuing” me when I beached myself after a swim ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 23:22 #

I was a smaller whale then than I am now, but still whale like – at least people would have wanted to hang on to me in case of nasty capsizing incidents as I am very buoyant ;)

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 04:31 #

I, alas, am not :(. I tend to sink like a heavy boned stone (with no boobs to act as a flotation device) so I would be forcibly shoved from the shore no matter how much protesting I did “go forth whale and never darken our beautiful sand again!” ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 10:03 #

I’d let you hang on to me and I’d swim us both to shore where there would be a cool box full of wine waiting for us ;)

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 17:17 #

and chocolate?

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 18:54 #

Of course!

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 20:23 #

You are ON Ms Chica! :)

• narf77 January 26, 2014 at 17:18 #

If so…consider me aboard on the good ship Chica!

5. Ruth January 25, 2014 at 19:35 #

A peaceful image to be sure. Beautiful. I worry about brain deterioration on occasion. Maybe most days. Wine while cooking sounds good to me

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:51 #

I will have to start doing some of those memory training exercises!

• Ruth January 25, 2014 at 19:52 #

The trick will be remembering to do them:-)

• Chica Andaluza January 25, 2014 at 19:54 #

Brilliant :) Made me laugh!

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 25, 2014 at 19:55 #

We’ve done that. It’s good when people catch it right away instead of a year later and you’re trying to remember what you missed!

7. Eha January 26, 2014 at 01:11 #

Oh what a Sunday fun send ~ crab and bikinis and beached whales and wine [for me on Australia Day!] ~ look where making ravioli amongst friends can take you :) !!

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 10:00 #

We live in a weird and wonderful WordPress world!

8. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 26, 2014 at 05:42 #

Enjoy the beach!

9. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen January 26, 2014 at 07:43 #

Oh… my brain is malfunctioning too.. can I please please join you!!

10. thecompletebook January 26, 2014 at 15:10 #

Oh thank goodness it’s more than just me who does things like this, although crab (being my favourite) is not likely one I would forget, I don’t think. Oh no, now the pressure on me to remember crab in a recipe when I use it. Hee hee.
    Have a beautiful week ahead. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 15:30 #

And the funny thing was I had been planning for weeks on making crab ravioli – it was all about the crab…and then I forgot to mention it! Duh :(

11. Promenade Claire January 26, 2014 at 15:20 #

You know the B in the ABC Mysteries was for Bexhill on Sea….. place of grey hair and lessening brain cells don’t you :) JOKE!!!!!!

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 15:25 #

Funnily enough I saw it a few weeks ago on TV and was all excited to see The Colonnade! Hopefully I will get old disgracefully here and will join you in racing my motorised wheelchair up and down Galley Hill ;) Mind you, I think they pull you over for speeding in them here!

• Promenade Claire January 26, 2014 at 15:27 #

I’ve seen them racing down London road, corning into Norman road at speed – mind you that was singular, we could take it to another level and race aka Beiber but in wheelchairs/scooters :)

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 15:29 #

You know how to live on the egde Ms Promenade…I might get thrown out of the country for my antics :(

12. Food,Photography & France January 26, 2014 at 15:45 #

What could be a more foodie stop off than the Cook Islands:)

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2014 at 18:55 #

I did that on purpose (well, I wish I had thought of it!)

13. Rachel January 26, 2014 at 16:46 #

Love the photo – dreamy (as opposed to dreary which is what we have here right now)! Mmmm!!

14. Soup Guru January 26, 2014 at 21:18 #

No worries! The forgotten crab version seemed already delicious! Round the World trip, what a wonderful thing to do, sure you came back with a lot of recipes ideas!

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2014 at 19:25 #

It was an amazing trip – quite a few years ago now though :(

15. Amanda January 27, 2014 at 05:11 #

If only we could treat all of our mistakes so kindly ;)

16. Bluejellybeans January 27, 2014 at 16:49 #

¡Jajajaja! Qué graciosa eres :) :)

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2014 at 19:21 #

Soy ya muy mayor…olvidando las cosas importantes ;)

17. Peri's Spice Ladle January 27, 2014 at 19:42 #

AAH…one of those scary moments all of us recipe bloggers have, when we realize that someone out there might be trying our recipe without the key ingredient!! Definitely a sign to slow things down a notch:)

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2014 at 22:40 #

Good advice – slowing down would be a luxury though ;)

18. kathryningrid January 28, 2014 at 04:09 #

The LGC need their holidays and renewal just as much as the rest of us do. May their respite on the beach be a delight. We’ll be here when you get back! :)

• Chica Andaluza January 28, 2014 at 09:23 #

Sadly the beach was a distant memory of several years ago – but we are getting close to finishing off a project and a rest in Spain is in sight!!

19. TBM January 28, 2014 at 16:56 #

Ha I do that all the time. Now for the serious question, did you save me a seat. I’ll bring the wine.

20. restlessjo January 28, 2014 at 19:25 #

Well, there was a big hint in the name, for those who were paying attention, Tanya :) An optional extra! Nice looking island.

• Chica Andaluza January 28, 2014 at 20:01 #

It was an amazing island (you could go round it on the bus in 45 minutes) but you could lose yourself on it for days!

21. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial January 28, 2014 at 20:43 #

Have a lovely break, Chica! What a wonderful beach! We all need a little time out occasionally.. xx

22. cecilia January 29, 2014 at 18:54 #

Paint fumes! Well .. I must remember to use that excuse next time.. are you still in the UK, I have sent a little parcel to Spain, but thats ok, it will wait for you there.. c

23. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 29, 2014 at 20:32 #

How I would love to be at the beach right now…recovering from paint fumes or no!

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 835 other followers