Caramelised Red Onion Tart with Jamón and Stilton

30 Jan

WordPress tells me that the top search on my blog, pretty much constantly, is for Olive Oil Pastry. Those of you who regularly follow my blog will know that until recently I was a self-confessed pastry cheat, using ready made pastry most of the time. In the summer though, I experimented with the pastry made using olive oil instead of butter and in the autumn, with delicious English butter available, I tried out the deliciously naughty Rough Puff Pastry.

The olive oil pastry is a healthier option for more frequent use and as there are so many searches for this recipe, I thought I should make an effort to show some of the ways I use it in the kitchen. This is a delicious tart which serves 4 as a main course or 6 as a starter.

DSC_0011

Ingredients

• 1 batch of olive oil pastry
  • 6 red onions
  • 2 small sprigs of thyme
  • Olive oil for shallow frying
  • 3 slices of jamón, prosciutto or bacon (omit if you want a vegetarian tart) cut into small pieces
  • About 3 tablespoons of crumbled stilton or some of your favourite cheese

No need for blind baking with this pastry, it goes crispy underneath, even when baked with the filling.

Half and finely slice your onions and fry slowly in about 3 tablespoons of olive until soft and slightly caramelised. This will probably take at least 20 minutes.  Season with a little pepper but you will probably not need salt if you are using the jamón and stilton which are both salty.

DSC_0015

Roll out the chilled pastry to fit your tart tin, prick the bottom and fill with the cooked onion mixture. Sprinkle over the jamón and cheese and bake at 200 (regular oven) or 180 degrees (fan assisted) for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is browned.

Leave to cool slightly – this is delicious served at room temperature with a salad.

About these ads

68 Responses to “Caramelised Red Onion Tart with Jamón and Stilton”

1. cookinginsens January 30, 2014 at 10:39 #

I really like the way you eat. Okay, I’m coming to live with you :D

2. TBM January 30, 2014 at 10:47 #

Not sure I would be able to wait until it cools. It looks great. I was curious and I checked. The top search for my blog is the Mark Twain House.

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:11 #

Aha – that was a good post! Well, all yours posts are great :)

• TBM January 31, 2014 at 11:53 #

Ah shucks, that’s mighty kind of you. And all of your posts make me hungry!

3. 76sanfermo January 30, 2014 at 11:06 #

Those caramelized onions are very intriguing…..
    You can’t imagine how many of your recipes have become a “habit” in my family!

4. Promenade Claire January 30, 2014 at 11:42 #

OK so I never even thought to make pastry with olive oil, but now I will…… and red onions, blue cheese of ANY KIND and we’re happy bunnies! Great recipe

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:12 #

It’s sooo easy, and not naughty at all – and we love making people into happy bunnies :)

5. Lynn January 30, 2014 at 12:20 #

Looks good, will give it a try, made some Stilton Puffs courtesy of Nigel Slater last weekend.

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 12:24 #

Ooh they sound good – I only found out last year that our pal Maria hates Stilton! Oh well…all the more for us :)

6. themateriallady January 30, 2014 at 12:29 #

This looks really tasty – I will have to try the olive oil pastry as it is new to me so this seems a good way to do it! Thank you :)

(I love Nigel Slater too – his ‘Eat’ book is referred to as the Nible in our house!)

7. thecompletebook January 30, 2014 at 12:36 #

Skip the stilton and I could probably comfortably finish half of this. Think it’s time I tried my hand at your olive oil pastry.
    Have a beautiful day. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:13 #

Sorry mandy, I forgot you were a stilton hater :( How about some lovely melty mozzarella or gooey cheddar?!

8. sophiebowns January 30, 2014 at 12:39 #

Gorgeous !!

9. Mad Dog January 30, 2014 at 12:41 #

Ha ha – I’m sure I could eat the whole tart, it looks absolutely delicious ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:13 #

The red onions were from Bexhill Farmer’s Market and were so sweet!

• Mad Dog January 31, 2014 at 00:18 #

Excellent!

• Mad Dog January 31, 2014 at 00:24 #

I just realised that the farmer I buy from in London (Perry Court Farm) has a stall in your farmers’ market ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2014 at 10:14 #

Really?! will look out for him!

• Mad Dog January 31, 2014 at 10:51 #

He does good red onions and most of his veg is £1 a bag ;-)

• Chica Andaluza January 31, 2014 at 20:26 #

Oh yes, I know who he is – my mum always asks me to buy onions from him!

10. Melissa's Menu January 30, 2014 at 13:59 #

Going to have to try this olive oil pastry, you make it sound simple!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:14 #

It really is very simple indeed and it behaves very well when you work with it!

11. Karen January 30, 2014 at 14:49 #

Sounds yummy but my timing is terrible. I used the last of my blue cheese last night in a salad. Off to the market soon. :)

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:14 #

n’t that always the way? :( But bet the salad was gorgeous!

• Karen January 31, 2014 at 01:27 #

You are so right. :)

12. narf77 January 30, 2014 at 17:44 #

The title of your post is a metaphor for my life. I often feel “caramelised”. Indeed, I only last night “caramelised” an entire tray of what promised to be an absolute delightful mix of incredibly healthy but satisfyingly tasty granola. I, too, am a red onion. I am interesting, I can be sweet when prepared properly with enough care and attention but if you just cut into me I will make you cry and you can be SURE of that! ;) As a “woman of a certain age” who loves to live life to the fullest I am sure that there are rouged lips and raised eyebrows in my local community who might link my person with certain dishes of ill repute made from pastry bases containing unctuous ingredients. It goes with the territory…those who live life to the fullest always garner the scorn of those who are too terrified to do the same. I feel proud of my pastry base. I could care less about what people think of me ;). Like stilton I am aged well, I have a decidedly interesting aroma about me…some might say parts of my personality “stink” but you know what? Without that stink I am not me and I have my admirers who love me for my complete ambiance and wouldn’t have me any other way. I also go extremely well with port…LOTS of port…and lastly, I love my life. I also love Mr Bob Marley and his accompanying wailers…I be “Jamon” every single day Mon! And yeah… I was one of those people searching for olive oil pastry. You can tick one of your mysteries off now ;)

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:18 #

What an absolutely brilliant metaphor (is that right?!) you have created between caramelised onions and “us”” women of a certain age and type! Love it :) And am so glad you are proud of your pastry base….ageing well like stilton (or indeed a good wine) can only be a good thing! And I will join in your Bob Marley accompaniement (spelling???) as long as I can wear dreadlocks!

• narf77 January 30, 2014 at 23:30 #

bollocks to spelling! We be “Jamon” and I have been accused of “Hamming it up” on any occasion that I find myself the centre of attention (and many where I am not! ;) ). I insist on dreadies…in fact…you can give me actual dreadies if you like. Nothing like a woman of a certain age with a Wurzel Gummidge nose and dreadlocks to make those bespectacled nana’s chins wag to the max! “Bring on that stilton I say!” ;)

13. Amanda January 30, 2014 at 20:30 #

Delicious! So Spanish! Yum!

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 21:20 #

I guess it is (especially if I had managed to get hold of some Cabrales cheese instead of stilton!)

14. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 30, 2014 at 22:28 #

I desperately need a “Love” button here! :)

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 22:34 #

Ah..am feeling the love!

• bitsandbreadcrumbs January 30, 2014 at 22:40 #

I just tried to pin this to my “to try” board with your button above, and instead of pinning, it just takes me to the Pinterest main page. Don’t know if it’s just me or if it’s not actually a sharing button.

• Chica Andaluza January 30, 2014 at 22:43 #

I bet it’s me who has done something wrong :( – will look into it!

15. {Main St. Cuisine} January 30, 2014 at 23:20 #

This is a beautiful tart! I must take a look at the pastry recipe itself (so thank you for including that in your post). A slice (or several) of your tart and a nice glass of wine sound like the makings of a wonderful meal with friends!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2014 at 09:09 #

Hi Allison – thanks for your kind words and glad you like the recipe!

16. cathyandchucky January 31, 2014 at 03:04 #

Yum, yum, yummy, yum yum! Love a good tart and this is a goodie!

17. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 31, 2014 at 08:06 #

Please send some over! I just love the flavour combination :)

18. gardenfreshtomatoes January 31, 2014 at 20:43 #

Mmmmm….red onions added to the shopping list…must make at the earliest possible moment!

19. TheDorsetFinca February 2, 2014 at 08:01 #

I often wonder about the ‘most searched for’ post on my blog. Mine is ‘how to sew an Easter chicken’… maybe I should diversify into patterns for farm animals around the home!!! Good job you reminded us about yours, as I missed the Olive Oil Pastry the first time round and am now on a mission to make some.

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2014 at 09:12 #

You’ll be able to republish it soon – Easter will soon be beckoning!

20. dedy oktavianus pardede February 2, 2014 at 10:56 #

wow, simply delicious sweet caramelized onion tart!!!
    i guess it’s a better way to enjoy red onion!!!

21. What Jessica Baked Next... February 2, 2014 at 18:07 #

Looks absolutely delicious! Really want to try a slice :)

22. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 2, 2014 at 18:15 #

It’s like a deep-dish pizza but even better.

23. kathryningrid February 3, 2014 at 05:54 #

Sounds like a lovely, savory treat.

24. Rachel February 3, 2014 at 15:01 #

Oh mmmmm! Now, if you use jamon and stilton together does that make it “fusion”? ;-)

25. ohlidia February 3, 2014 at 16:44 #

Oh, I have got to try this!

26. Calico Stretch February 4, 2014 at 07:06 #

Perfect timing Chica as my red onions are fairly bursting and need pulling up ‘n using! Top that off with one of my confessed onion haters trying slow cooked sweet onion and (GASP) liking it. Perfect timing. I will be trying this and possibly with the olive oil pasty, which is intriguing too.

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 11:40 #

Aha – you’ve converted an onion hater…hopefully this will go down well then!

27. Liuba Bejarano February 6, 2014 at 06:34 #

wow, would love to try that. 6 onions? must be really small onions I imagine?

• Chica Andaluza February 6, 2014 at 16:29 #

They were small/medium sized but as you cook them realy slowly, they kind of melt down!

1. Know Your Onions – Onions Braised in Wine and Balsamic Vinegar | Chica Andaluza - April 9, 2014

[…] get creative with onion recipes. Well, there’s Up the Mountain Onion Soup, of course. And maybe a caramelised onion tart. How about something different? Memories of my godmother, who came from the north of Italy, near […]

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 801 other followers