Stir Fried Kale with Bacon – A Speedy Side Dish or Pasta Topping

4 Feb

Don’t you just love winter greens? So green and vibrant – maybe their colour reminds us of the spring that is on its way, whilst doing us so much good packed full of iron and vitamins.

Kale (3)

Kale is a current favourite, although it can sometimes be a little tough. Not a problem if you like your vegetables really crisp, but easily dealt with by blanching for a few minutes first.

Ingredients to serve 2

• About a dozen leaves of kale, washed, tough stalks removed and then finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 4 rashers of finely chopped smoked streaky bacon (or use mushrooms for a vegetarian dish)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil for frying

Blanch the chopped leaves for about 3 minutes if they are large and drain. Heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan and fry the bacon until crispy then add the kale and garlic. Stir fry for a couple of minutes, season and enjoy as a side dish or mixed with pasta (add a little raw olive oil and a few drops of the pasta cooking water).

Bounce around the kitchen as you will be packed full of vitality!

If you’re lucky enough to have access to Baby Kale, check out this beautiful recipe for a Sunshine Salad from our blogging pal Smidge. Or how about Frugal’s Kale with Pasta – delicious!

About these ads

47 Responses to “Stir Fried Kale with Bacon – A Speedy Side Dish or Pasta Topping”

1. cookinginsens February 4, 2014 at 08:34 #

I like my kale just as you cooked it, eaten right out of the wok :D

2. thecompletebook February 4, 2014 at 08:48 #

Simplicity is always the most scrumity.
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    -) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 11:41 #

You’re right, it most often is! Have a good day too :)

3. Mad Dog February 4, 2014 at 11:24 #

Delicious – you made me want the mushroom and bacon version ;-)

4. Melissa February 4, 2014 at 12:07 #

Where did you get the kale? I can’t find it here in Benalmadena. Did you grow it?

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 17:43 #

Ooh you’re not so far from us in Spain! We’re actually in England now and I’ve never seen it in Spain. When I’m in Andalucia I use Savoy Cabbage or Chard (acelga)

• Soup Guru February 5, 2014 at 08:45 #

If you’re in Spain you will find it as “col rizada”

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2014 at 09:53 #

That’s the name – couldn’t remember it last night!

5. 76sanfermo February 4, 2014 at 14:37 #

Sono entusiasta di questa ricetta….La copio!
    Oggi avevo voglia di scrivere in italiano. Tanto tu capisci bene!

6. andreamynard February 4, 2014 at 15:31 #

Looks delicious, I love it not overcooked too. Eating lots of kale at the moment, ‘seaweed’ style is my current favourite.

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 18:05 #

How do you do that – finely chopped and fried? Sounds exciting!

7. TheDorsetFinca February 4, 2014 at 15:45 #

I am so hungry after reading this!! Kale is my all-time favourite… hmmm might change tonight’s supper plans!

8. Nancy - feasting with friends February 4, 2014 at 15:46 #

Love, love, love kale prepared in this fashion! Especially with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a perfectly poached egg on top :) Thanks for the nudge…now I know what’s for dinner tonight! Your version looks delicious!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 17:43 #

Ooh I love the idea of that drizzle of balsamic and a poached egg is just perfect!

9. Soup Guru February 4, 2014 at 17:12 #

I generally eat kale sauté as a side or main dish, but I liked the idea of using it as pasta topping, I think I’m gonna do it with some penne rigate, thanks for the inspiration!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 18:07 #

It’s a bit like pasta with cavolo nero (but less soupy) so maybe you should do the soupy version!

• Soup Guru February 5, 2014 at 08:46 #

Great idea, thanks! going to my “to try” list right now!

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2014 at 09:53 #

Look forward to reading about it!

10. Amanda February 4, 2014 at 17:21 #

Yum. I make this dish all the time, minus the flavorful bacon. I throw some eggs on it and eat it over quinoa. I’ve been meaning to make a post about it, but it’s kind of my poverty meal and I just never photograph it. You’ve inspired me. Delicious!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 18:06 #

Many of my meals are poverty meals – they are the ones which we have to be most ingenious about I find!

11. narf77 February 4, 2014 at 17:43 #

Even I could indulge…coconut bacon anyone? ;)

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 17:46 #

Coconut bacon – talk me through it…am intrigued! I love this without bacon too :)

• narf77 February 4, 2014 at 17:52 #

From the horses mouth…

Its supposed to be delish but I can’t get flakes of coconut here and I doubt desicated coconut bacon is going to cut the mustard ;)

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 17:55 #

It sounds quite nice…don’t think I’ve ever seen liquid smoke. Presumably it’s ok to eat and not like ingesting a carton of Red Marlboro?!

• narf77 February 4, 2014 at 18:01 #

Steve and I used it to give great flavour to soups but when it got too expensive we subbed in smoked paprika to great advantage. It’s one of those “vegan things” to give us something to shove into a “BLT” so it isn’t just a very sad green lettuce leaf between 2 slices of bread with a bit of tomato ;)

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 18:03 #

Ah well, if you use it, then it’s officially endorsed! I do have smoked paprika though :)

• narf77 February 4, 2014 at 18:27 #

We haven’t used it in a while as our Asian grocery store overpriced it…stopped selling it and then went broke and closed (so they REALLY didn’t want us to buy it any more ;) ). Extreme measures to stop narf7 from accessing liquid smoke methinks ;)

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2014 at 18:59 #

Does seem a bit extreme ;) Are you sure you weren’t skylarking in the shop?!

• narf77 February 4, 2014 at 19:08 #

;)

12. frugalfeeding February 4, 2014 at 18:00 #

Looks fantastic and thanks for the mention :)

13. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen February 4, 2014 at 21:27 #

This would be so yummy all stirred up together! I really love kale.. I read somewhere that you’re supposed to “massage” the kale once you add the dressing.. with your hands:)

14. Charles February 4, 2014 at 23:45 #

Kale’s lovely isn’t it?! I totally agree – it’s like a wonderful reminder that the cold and dark too will pass giving way to new shoots and birdsong! Lovely looking dish – I think it would be great on top of a baked potato!

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2014 at 09:52 #

It’s so vibrant and I love the idea of this on top of a baked potato!

15. Tandy | Lavender and Lime February 5, 2014 at 04:56 #

I have kale seeds on my shopping list for when we are in the UK in April :)

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2014 at 09:53 #

What a great idea – can send some to you otherwise if you need to get planting!

16. PendleStitches February 6, 2014 at 18:18 #

ssssssh…don’t tell anyone….but I’ve never tried kale. *hangs head in shame*

• Chica Andaluza February 6, 2014 at 19:45 #

Oh you should give it a go – but to be honest, you don’t see it that often so I’m not going to make you stand in the corner!

17. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 7, 2014 at 16:12 #

Kale is my favorite green and I love it raw in salads and especially sauteed. I don’t blanch it first because I like the resistance…the tooth, if you will! :) Somehow I’ve never tried it with bacon, though, and it sounds very delicious. Happy weekend, Tanya!

18. TBM February 7, 2014 at 16:21 #

I recently discovered that I like kale. Only took me 39 years to figure it out. I can be stubborn.

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

Thoughts on how to choose, prepare and eat delicious food

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Living the Dream Up A Mountain Somewhere In Andalucia

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 774 other followers