Shallow Fried Cod with Vegetable and Saffron Risotto

9 Jul

Ok, so the photo doesn’t do this dish much justice but I’m an honest Chica and I don’t have photoshop. We also eat ridiculously late so there’s no natural light. But what I show you is a delicious meal which would also be an amazing light vegetarian lunch or supper without the cod.

The risotto is creamy and delicately flavoured and, as a bonus, pretty healthy and low in fat too as it contains no cream or cheese. Granted, coating cod in flour and frying it in olive oil sort of cancels that out, but fish and olive oil are good for us, we all know that, so not only does this taste great it’s good for you too!

DSC_0017

Ingredients to serve 2 hungry people (and we’re always hungry)

• 1 large piece of cod cut into about 6 large chunks and lightly coated in seasoned flour
  • About 150g risotto rice (I used carnaroli)
  • Approx half a litre of hot vegetable stock into which you dissolve about 5 strands of saffron
  • One roasted red pepper peeled and finely chopped
  • Half an onion finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of peeled and crushed garlic
  • 1 small courgette cut into fine dice
  • 1 large ripe tomato, peeled and finely chopped
  • About a dozen mangetout beans, finely shredded
  • Olive oil
  • Seasoning
  • Lemon to serve

The risotto is made in the usual way – start by softening the onion and garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil, then add the pepper, tomato and courgette and cook until the courgette has softened. Add the rice and make sure it is coated in oil before gradually adding a ladleful of hot stock. Cook until the stock has been absorbed then add the next ladleful. Continue in this way until the rice is just starting to lose its bite.

At this point heat olive oil in a deep frying pan to a depth of about 1cm (you can also either deep fry or use less oil if you prefer). When the oil is very hot, gently lower in the cod pieces and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.

While the cod is cooking add the shredded mangetout to the rice and a final ladleful of stock. Taste and season then place the cod on top of the rice. Turn off the heat and leave the rice to rest for a few minutes before serving with wedges of lemon to squeeze over.

About these ads

51 Responses to “Shallow Fried Cod with Vegetable and Saffron Risotto”

1. Mad Dog July 9, 2014 at 21:39 #

That looks great – no Photoshop needed ;-)

2. Trini July 9, 2014 at 21:53 #

Looks delicious Chica! I am visiting Barcelona from Australia at the moment and loving the food here very much.

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2014 at 23:15 #

Hope the trip is going well and that you are eating plenty to keep you going for all the sightseeing you must be doing!

3. DianeT July 9, 2014 at 22:01 #

I’m hungry just looking at the photo – and it’s only breakfast time.
    The fish makes me salivate and the golden colour – just gorgeous.

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2014 at 23:07 #

You could have it for brekkie – just call it kedgeree ;)

4. Ginger July 9, 2014 at 22:03 #

It looks so yummy!

5. 76sanfermo July 9, 2014 at 22:08 #

Créeme , a través de esta photo se ve muy rico!
    La receta es espectacular!

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2014 at 23:08 #

Gracias SanFermo – mis fotos a veces salen algo tristes porque comemos muy tarde y la luz no es bueno – pero la comida si!

6. Promenade Claire July 10, 2014 at 00:37 #

A great twist on risotto with the fried fish

7. Margot July 10, 2014 at 03:46 #

Exactly the kind of meal I’m craving at the moment – looks like pure comfort food, packed full of flavour and goodness!

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2014 at 19:39 #

And it’s a dull wet day in England so am craving it again today!

8. Eha July 10, 2014 at 04:14 #

Altho’ I have just has a very satisfying ‘putting all found in the fridge together with plenty of garlic and oyster sauce’ lunch were I able to reach into the screen – oh this is so my type of food! Luvverly!!!! And you have made it so simply in one pan: I have a habit of cooking the add-ons separately and adding during the last five minutes or so. This obviously worked so shall do it ‘your way’ over the weekend! I do add a glass of wine or verjuice after the onion has softened – perhaps am used to that little bit of extra flavour!! Absolutely lovely . . .

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2014 at 19:39 #

Oh yes, the wine – how could I have forgotten a splash of wine (plus one for the cook)?!

9. corneliaweberphotography July 10, 2014 at 04:31 #

Oh that looks sooooo scrumpious, just my alley of food!!!! Thank you for sharing, you are so talented!!!!

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime July 10, 2014 at 05:53 #

I love that you used a photograph of what you ate rather than some styled shot! And what a perfect meal for hungry people :)

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2014 at 19:40 #

Well…it was for us to eat….and I didn’t want to hang around too long letting it get cold!

11. Food,Photography & France July 10, 2014 at 08:05 #

Delicious idea…definitely one to be done…

12. PendleStitches July 10, 2014 at 14:47 #

Oh that looks lovely! I’m making your fish curry this week. Might have to add these ingredients to next weeks list!

13. thecompletebook July 10, 2014 at 15:30 #

Oh how I wish I could eat in your home every week Tanya – scrumity!
    Have a lovely day. :-) Mandy xo

14. Karen July 10, 2014 at 16:09 #

Your dish looks delicious…there is no reason for photoshop or natural light as far as I’m concerned.

15. Marianne July 10, 2014 at 16:18 #

Looks delicious :)

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2014 at 19:41 #

Thank you Marianne – can’t get out of the Spanish habit of eating way too late!

16. Amanda July 10, 2014 at 17:11 #

Chica, that looks fab to me. Cod and saffron with rissotto? That’s classic and delish.

• Chica Andaluza July 10, 2014 at 19:42 #

Thank you Amanda – simple ingredients make for good food!

17. ohlidia July 10, 2014 at 17:34 #

Oh, I just love cod and welcome this beautiful way of cooking it up.

18. rustyblue85 July 10, 2014 at 19:42 #

Mmmm! I think it looks yummy! I’ve made a copy of the recipe so I can cook some this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration! x x

19. narf77 July 10, 2014 at 21:08 #

“Cod be praised!”…Every time I see a recipe with the ubiquitous cod in it, I instantly think of that Goodies episode with the cod wars and that HUGE cod that Graham grew that they ended up blowing up and turning into fish fingers. They don’t make kids programs like THAT any more now do they? ;). I think that you are putting a lot of faith in Photoshop Ms Chica…I have Photoshop but I can’t make my food pics look good unless I invest in back lighting, expensive props and a camera that sings the Hallelujah chorus all by itself as there is no WAY that this little black duck is going to go to school to learn to take photos of my humble offerings ;). Too much like hard work and pointing and clicking is the bomb ;)

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2014 at 18:41 #

So funny – I looked it up on Youtube, what a giggle J Glad you like my unphotoshopping approach – tis the only one I have!

• narf77 July 11, 2014 at 19:10 #

Lets call it “old school” and you are hard and cool for shunning the manipulations of digital imaging…you just shoot it as you see it and give people the real thing, the truth of the image represented as nature intended it to be seen (is that working for you? ;) ) The Goodies are a blast from the past and now that everything 70’s and 80’s is back “in” again, we can watch them with impunity knowing that we are even MORE hard and cool :)

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2014 at 19:14 #

Fashions and trends eh? If you wait long enough something will come back into fashion (just like us ladies of a certain age)! I shoot from the (slightly ageing) hip and what you see is what you get!

• narf77 July 11, 2014 at 19:39 #

Shooting from the hip eh? You ARE a sly one! I tend to just point at anything vaguely in front of my face and that’s that. If it is lower, too bad…higher…too bad. That’s what chairs and sitting down was invented for. Pity getting back up and falling through chairs is SUCH a problem! ;). I wish I had kept my avocado and burnt orange kaftan now. I reckon I would have made a KILLING selling it to a vintage shop! ;) My granny knitted purple poncho would have gone perfectly with it and my “long dress” that I wore to all the family weddings that was white with purple paisley print would have been fought over by fashionistas everywhere. I was SO far ahead of my time! ;)

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2014 at 20:23 #

Now why don’t we have a photo of that outfit soon?!

• narf77 July 11, 2014 at 21:11 #

Because my vixen of a mother THREW THEM ALL OUT when I left home that’s why! Oh the looks of admiration that I would have drawn doing my fortnightly shopping in not only my gorgeous kaftan/poncho combo but my high cork wedgie heels as well! I could have teetered my way into high society if it wasn’t for the nefarious intervention of my bolshie mother…sigh… always a bridesmaid…never a bride…mutter…mutter…

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2014 at 21:15 #

Mothers eh L Actually, mine was/is pretty funky and I do own at this moment in time two pairs of high cork wedgie heels. Can’t actually walk in them you understand (I look a bit like a bad drag artist teetering around) but the fact that they are in my possession makes me happy J

• narf77 July 11, 2014 at 22:35 #

Oh you LUCKY GIRL! I would just stroke them and remember the 70’s which unlike the 60’s you most probably remember with great clarity (I mean who could forget turning your ankle every damned week on those flipping cork wedgies eh?!) I wouldn’t be able to pull of the drag queen as they are adroit at strutting around on 2 foot high stilettos (KUDOS DRAG QUEENS!) I would just stand there staring off into the distance looking vague and interesting (my equivalent of Billy Connelleys “wind-swept and interesting” ;) )

• Chica Andaluza July 12, 2014 at 14:57 #

Hee hee J J

20. Peri's Spice Ladle July 11, 2014 at 23:31 #

Love the sound of vegetable and saffron rice! Perfect with creamy cod:) great combination…

• Chica Andaluza July 12, 2014 at 14:58 #

Thanks Peri – saffron makes most things beautiful!

21. Sid's Sea Palm Cooking July 17, 2014 at 16:17 #

Love your blog, in fact it is one of the few I follow on a regular basis, I just don’t have time to look at that many. Just wanted to let you know I put a link on my blog to yours since I enjoy it so much, I hope my readers will take a look as well. And I love cod, this recipe is going into my ‘gotta try this sometime’ file.

WOMBAT QUILTS

An Aussie's adventures in quilting

ãhãram

Sharing my favourite recipes with you

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 893 other followers