Slovenly Strawberry Pie

13 Jul

A pal and commenter, Lynn, asked if I would be posting some strawberry recipes as we are smack bang in the middle of strawberry season….of course, am happy to oblige! Regular readers though will know that I am not much of a dessert maker (the ever expanding waistline does not permit too many treats) so I usually pull together dishes that are quick and easy but delicious enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. Strawberries are also so good right now, they don’t need too much mucking about with.

For anyone who also signed up for the “throw it together and see what happens dessert class”, this one’s for you.

Strwaberry Tart (3)

Ingredients (to serve 4-6)

• 500g dessert pastry (I cheated and used ready made, but you can always make your own)
  • 600g fresh strawberries halved or quartered if very large
  • 1 heaped tbsp icing sugar
  • 1 level tbsp cornflour
  • Splash of fruit liqueur (I used framboise)
  • 1 beaten egg
  • Brown sugar

Mix the strawberries with the icing sugar, cornflour and liqueur and set aside while you roll the pastry out into a circle. Place the pastry onto an oven tray or into a tin, I used a deep paella pan which worked beautifully!

Pile the strawberries into the middle of the pastry circle then fold the extra pastry in over the top to form a bowl shape. Brush the top of the pastry with egg yolk and sprinkle over some brown sugar.

Bake at 180 degrees C for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the strawberries are bubbling. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving – the cornflour will slightly thicken the juices. Serve with ice cream or cream whilst pretending to your impressed loved ones that it was really hard work to prepare.

About these ads

36 Responses to “Slovenly Strawberry Pie”

1. thecompletebook July 13, 2014 at 10:58 #

Definitely my kind of pie – I would have to throw ice cream and cream at it – you know, just to make sure they both work. ;-)
    Have an awesome week ahead Tanya. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:37 #

Good idea to try both cream and ice cream….I like your style!

2. Ria July 13, 2014 at 11:14 #

I got to sample this one – delicious!!! x

3. Mad Dog July 13, 2014 at 11:31 #

I like the folding over the top bit – it makes it look like the strawberries are bursting out of the pie ;-)

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:37 #

I think there might have been a bit of bursting going on where the pastry broke ;)

• Mad Dog July 14, 2014 at 12:19 #

Ha ha – well it looks good that way ;-)

4. Marianne July 13, 2014 at 12:39 #

I LOVE the slovenly-ness of this pie. I’ve never thought to use a paella pan this way! I feel a whole new way of baking coming on :)

Thanks for the tip, Tanya x

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:42 #

I use my paella pan for lots of things now – like a wok, like a saucepan and often for baking!

5. Chitra Jagadish July 13, 2014 at 12:49 #

Yummylicipus

6. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy July 13, 2014 at 13:23 #

I love this one…so easy. Strawberries are about done at our farm, but raspberries and blueberries are coming in…..

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime July 13, 2014 at 15:24 #

Great tip to use a paella pan :)

8. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 13, 2014 at 16:20 #

Strawberry season is gone, but this would work on the last of the blueberries. Looks great.

9. narf77 July 13, 2014 at 21:53 #

Well I “tried” to make this recipe Ms Chica…REALLY I did…but you see I got the strawberries and I had a few with a tiny little sample shot glass of the fruit liqueur. Can’t be too careful with fruit liqueur you know, you have to test it regularly to make sure that it hasn’t gone off. I looked at the pastry and while I was contemplating whether or not to make my own or to use the ready made puff I had a few more strawberries and another (not so small) sip of fruit liqueur to see if the flavour had changed any…I then had to stop and think whether or not I wanted to add the icing sugar…I mean i’ts such a teeny tiny amount, surely I could use some date sugar? And while I was thinking my hands were slowly investing my mouth with a few more strawberries and I poured a glass of the fruit liqueur, I was going to be here for a while, may as well fortify myself…I mean who has date sugar on their pantry shelf? So then I got to the level tbs of cornflour…er…yeah, ok, I have that (few more strawberries and a hearty glug of the liqueur, warming the cockles you know…) and then the recipe called for a splash of fruit liqueur and as I was now a bit “sideways” I spilled a bit on the counter and after licking it off the counter I thought that a good glug was better than a splash so I slugged it straight out of the bottle…”HIC”…I dropped the egg. Earl ate it. I left the brown sugar in the cupboard because for some strange reason my legs didn’t want to take me to the pantry any more. I sat on the floor with my half bottle of fruit liqueur and a few strawberry husks and fell fast asleep only to be woken up by Earl slobbering all over me. I don’t think I will be making this again Ms Chica as I think I am allergic to it…I have such a TERRIBLE headache…must be one of the ingredients…

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:46 #

This made me laugh soooo much! But I agree, be careful….you are clearly seriously allergic to something. The pastry or cornflour perhaps? Stay away from these noxious foodstuffs and stick to the healing fruit liqueur ;)

• narf77 July 14, 2014 at 21:42 #

I agree ma’am…I was suspicious of that cornflour when I saw it as an ingredient. I had a bit of a taste and thought “who the bleeding heck was the first one to taste this and say “emmm I think I can use this to make something that tastes good” eh?! I had to have a whole glass of that healing fruit liqueur to wash the taste out of my mouth. Glad to see we are on the same page ;)

10. DianeT July 14, 2014 at 00:52 #

Our strawberries won’t be ready for a while, but definitely a recipe to keep on hold.

I got a bit confused with your instructions to brush the pastry with egg yolk and I wondered what you had done with the egg white.

So I decided that when I got around to making it [my mouth is drooling as I think of it] I would beat up the egg white and spread it as meringue on the top for the last 10 mins – or however long it took to brown without burning.

Of course [as mentioned above], icecream and cream will be obligatory for one member of our household.

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:49 #

Good point Diane – I actually froze the white (and then when I have enough in the freezer I defrost and make meringue) but a meringue topping would be fabulous!

11. Margot July 14, 2014 at 02:00 #

Perfect in it’s simplicity! Love the addition of a little fruit liqueur!

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2014 at 11:49 #

Alcohol helps in most situations (In moderation of course)!

12. 76sanfermo July 14, 2014 at 12:57 #

Definitely , my style!
    Quite simple and easy, this tart will follow me for the whole summer, changing the kind of fruit , of course!
    THANKS Tanya!

13. Food,Photography & France July 14, 2014 at 17:15 #

Definitely telepathic….I made a plum tart/pie exactly like this…yours looks like a home ecomomist’s dream compared to mine. I was going to blog it but …….:)

• Chica Andaluza July 16, 2014 at 16:22 #

Ah thanks Roger – but I bet yours really did look amazing, you’re just being modest!

14. kathryningrid July 21, 2014 at 18:15 #

OUTSTANDING! A luscious sounding treat, and the recipe’s *named* after me!! :D

• Chica Andaluza July 21, 2014 at 19:18 #

I’m sure you’re not Slovenly in any way…or do they call you Miss Strawberry?!

15. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 24, 2014 at 23:05 #

Slovenly throw it together and see what happens desserts are the only way to go! My favorite kind of pie.

16. Karen July 28, 2014 at 20:25 #

My kind of dessert…I love everything about it including the way it looks. :D

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 844 other followers