French beans, asparagus and mangetout with chopped almonds and lime

24 Jul

Another Ottolenghi inspired recipe – his calls for roasted chopped hazlenuts and orange. Hey, you do what you can with what you have on hand and “wow” it was so good!

This was a dish I took along to a barbecue but with a little grilled meat or some hard boiled eggs (for a vegetarian meal) would make a very delicious and satisfying light lunch or supper dish.

Ottolenghi Beans (1)

Ingredients (serves 4-6)

• 400g of trimmed French beans chopped and lightly boiled
  • 400g mangetout lightly boiled
  • 1 bunch asparagus chopped and lightly boiled
  • 70g chopped or flaked almonds, dry toasted in a frying pan
  • 2 limes – zested and the juice squeezed out
  • 20g chopped parsley
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Simply mix together the lime zest, juice, olive oil and seasoning and add to the beans and mangetout. Sprinkle over the almonds, mix, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve at room temperature.

About these ads

37 Responses to “French beans, asparagus and mangetout with chopped almonds and lime”

1. Mad Dog July 24, 2014 at 22:51 #

You and Ottolenghi are wizards with vegetables ;-)

2. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 24, 2014 at 22:59 #

I don’t know what mangetout is, but I love the other ingredients…and never would have thought to pair lime with the beans and almonds. It sounds wonderful. :)

• DianeT July 25, 2014 at 00:34 #

I had to resort to Google to confirm that mangetout were the snow peas showing in the picture. I learn something new everyday it seems. Snow peas (or snap peas) are a veggie I manage to grow all year, even when there are frosts.

• bitsandbreadcrumbs July 25, 2014 at 00:35 #

Thanks for the clarification!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 23:59 #

Ooh that’s interesting – as we seem to be spending more time in England (and I have had no luck with these in Spain as it was too hot) I should give growing them another go!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 08:31 #

Hi Betsey – I’ve added a link for mangetout, they’re also known as snow peas. They look like little underdeveloped pea pods and you can eat them all either raw or lightly cooked! So sorry not to have explained :(

• bitsandbreadcrumbs July 25, 2014 at 16:27 #

No worries, I’m very familiar with snow peas but had never heard them called mangetout. That term just hadn’t crossed my radar, but I love learning new things, so thanks! :)

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 17:54 #

3. 76sanfermo July 24, 2014 at 23:37 #

The same for me with mangetout………all the same this looks tasty and fresh for a summer dish!
    Thanks!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 08:32 #

Ciao! I’ve added a link for mangetout, they’re also known as snow peas. They look like little underdeveloped pea pods and you can eat them all either raw or lightly cooked! So sorry not to have explained :(

• 76sanfermo July 25, 2014 at 09:14 #

Now I know perfectly what it is….
        And have learnt a new word for ” taccole” I think…
        When I was a child it was available at the greengrocer’s and in my family we made use of it, but now it seem to have disappeared….
        Mysteries of modernity!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 17:47 #

Aha – now I know the word in Italian!

4. cecilia July 25, 2014 at 01:35 #

OH my this sounds delicious.. c

5. Eha July 25, 2014 at 03:11 #

Beautiful mix I have to try as I have a habit of not mixing asparagus with other vegetables. Perhaps a grilled fillet of fish or a couple or three marinated lamb cutlets would suit me for a full meal!! [And sorry for having ‘taken over’ your post last time . . . shall behave :D !!]

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 08:33 #

I know what you mean as asparagus are do beautifully flavoured it’s nice just to enjoy them on their own! And all comments from my lovely blogging pals are welcome here – vive la difference I say!!

6. Margot @ Gather and Graze July 25, 2014 at 05:26 #

These are the sorts of side dishes I need on my table Tanya – fabulous! Thank you!

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 19:03 #

Glad you liked it – it was something a bit different which packed a lot of wonderful flavour!

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime July 25, 2014 at 05:55 #

Sounds delicious. I’ve got the recipe book on my birthday wish list :)

8. Food,Photography & France July 25, 2014 at 08:07 #

Almonds and lime are such good additions . I always forget that I’ve got limes until I wonder what the hard, round, black things are:)

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 23:57 #

Ah, I thought they were giant dried olives I kept finding in my fruit bowl ;)

9. thecompletebook July 25, 2014 at 09:16 #

Oh summer where are you, I need to make this ASAP!
    Have a beautiful weekend Tanya. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 17:51 #

Oh yes, you are in the depths of winter :( But at least you can enjoy hearty, warming dishes! There is always a silver lining :)

10. narf77 July 25, 2014 at 21:02 #

Or it could be eaten just as it is for vegans :) Another vegan friendly recipe Ms Chica, what is the world coming to! ;)

• Chica Andaluza July 25, 2014 at 23:57 #

Sometimes I surprise myself! Yay for vegans J

• narf77 July 26, 2014 at 02:10 #

Spreading the vegan love around Ms Chica, you are a most generous food blog host to make sure ALL of your dear constant readers are catered for at least once in the blogging calender year :)

• Chica Andaluza July 26, 2014 at 10:27 #

My pleasure!

11. ChgoJohn July 27, 2014 at 03:23 #

Isn’t Summer great, Tanya? This dish screams “SUMMER!” and does it ever look good! I, too, had to look up “mangetout” and was surprised to see it was French. I’d been reading it as “Mangiatut’!”. Where was this Italian know-how when I needed it 2 months ago? :)

• Chica Andaluza July 27, 2014 at 16:47 #

It was a bit presumptuous (is that how you spell it?!) to think everyone would know the word. In English we adopt words from other languages and forget that they were not ours in the first place J then expect everyone to know what we’re talking about….like aubergine for eggplant!

• ChgoJohn July 27, 2014 at 16:51 #

Yes, especially when everyone knows it melanzan’. :)

• Chica Andaluza July 27, 2014 at 16:52 #

Exactly! And courgettes are zucchini ;)

12. Karen July 28, 2014 at 20:28 #

This sounds like the perfect side dish with some grilled chicken.

WOMBAT QUILTS

An Aussie's adventures in quilting

ãhãram

Sharing my favourite recipes with you

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 893 other followers