Ottolenghi Inspired Stuffed Peppers

29 Jul

Yes, the love affair with Mr O continues. Today the recipe is inspired by one from his book Jerusalem, and is, in turn, one of his own mother’s recipes. Momma knows best, we all know that.

As ever, I used what I had to hand, the original ingredients are in brackets following my version. It makes a stunning main course accompanied by a salad packed full of all your favourite leaves, or an excellent starter if you use smaller peppers and restrain yourself to eating only a half. Tough choice.

Stuffed Peppers (4)

Ingredients (to serve 4 as a main course or 8 as a starter – easily halved, or even doubled for a party)

• 4 red bell peppers (which I halved and blanched in boiling water for about 3 minutes) (8 romano peppers, no need to blanch)
  • 2 cups of homemade tomato sauce or (1 large tomato roughly chopped, 2 medium onions roughly chopped, about 500ml vegetable stock)

Stuffing

• 140g basmati rice
  • 1 tbsp Allspice (1 ½ tbsp baharat)
  • ½ tsp ground cardamom
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion finely chopped
  • 400g minced pork (400g minced lamb)
  • 2 ½ tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint (2 tbsp chopped dill, 1 ½ tbs chopped dried mint)
  • 1 ½ tsp sugar
  • Salt and black pepper

Put the rice in a saucepan and cover with lightly salted water. Boil for 4 minutes, drain, rinse and set aside.

Dry fry the spices, add the olive oil and onion and fry until the onion is soft. Pour this and the stuffing ingredients into a large bowl and mix). Season.

Stuff either the half peppers or if using the romanos cut a slit lengthways without cutting in half completely and stuff each pepper.

If not using previously made tomato sauce, place the chopped tomato and onion into a large pan with a tight fitting lid (or pour your sauce in). Sit the peppers on top, cover with a lid and either simmer on the stove top on a low heat for about an hour or cook in a medium oven until the peppers are tender. If using the stove top, make sure the sauce does not dry out by adding a little water if necessary.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

About these ads

38 Responses to “Ottolenghi Inspired Stuffed Peppers”

1. 76sanfermo July 29, 2014 at 09:04 #

Yes ,at all cost!
    Superb dish in summer !

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 13:32 #

It is good for summer as you can serve it cold or at room temperature!

2. thecompletebook July 29, 2014 at 09:59 #

Restraining myself has never been one of my strong suits when it comes to food. I haven’t made stuffed peppers for a long while and these look so much for inviting than what I have made.
    Have a beautiful week and hope you have been able to resubscribe to my blog – sorry I can’t fix it for you. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 13:33 #

Restraint is for others! I don’t make stuffed peppers very often, but these were a big hit. Still not getting blog notifications (and this also happens with 2 r 3 others) but I just remind myself to pop over and see what’s happening your way J

3. Mad Dog July 29, 2014 at 12:39 #

That looks fantastic! I haven’t done stuffed pepper for ages either, but they are in season so I definitely should give them a go ;-)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 13:33 #

Stuffed peppers are a bit of a faff (spelling?!) but these were worth making!

• Mad Dog July 31, 2014 at 13:59 #

I seem to remember making one each and when it came to eating it thought that two each would have been a better number ;-)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 21:02 #

Two is most definitely a better number!

• Mad Dog August 1, 2014 at 00:07 #

:-)

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide July 29, 2014 at 13:29 #

Those are the prettiest stuffed peppers ever.

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 29, 2014 at 17:07 #

I really want to dive into that dish of peppers. I’ve never made stuffed peppers, but these are inspiring me!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 13:34 #

They are a bit time consuming to make, but a great make ahead dish and wonderful flavours!

6. A Famished Foodie July 29, 2014 at 17:14 #

I am obsessed with the stuff that Ottolenghi puts out, so I’ll have to try these Ott-inspired ones! Can’t wait for his next book to come out either.

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 12:55 #

Me too – the recipes are mostly not over complicated but still very exciting and packed full of flavour!

7. Amanda July 29, 2014 at 20:05 #

I too love Mr. O. I make a version of this that my own mother makes. It’s really irresistible.

8. restlessjo July 29, 2014 at 20:42 #

Sounds awfully nice. I suppose I could… :)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 19:41 #

Or maybe you could just let someone else do it and go for a fabulous walk – more fun!

9. ChgoJohn July 30, 2014 at 04:34 #

Well done, Tanya! I have to say that your version is more appealing to me than the original. As much as I love pork products of every description, using lamb here is a great choice. I’d love to make this and will start searching for romano peppers. Meanwhile, I think maybe I should open my copy of Jerusalem and do more than just read it and look at the pretty pictures. :)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 19:42 #

Oh that book is so good (well, in my mind it is!) there are so many recipes that shout to me “cook me, make me, taste me”! But then I am a bit odd ;)

10. Eha July 30, 2014 at 04:44 #

Absolutely no problem with your ‘love affair’ tho’ have not used O’s books in the interim :) ! Methinks these are what we call ‘banana peppers’ here and I do stuff them regularly. OK – have made it very easy for myself during a fast, fast time: love the lamb, which means my fave of baharat, mint and a good passata . . . am certain everyone trying will enjoy!!!!!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 19:43 #

I have a banana pepper plant in England and unbelievably it has peppers on it – mine are a little hot (which I love) and the romano ones just taste like normal bell peppers. But now I want to make it again with the spicy ones J

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime July 30, 2014 at 05:53 #

The stuffing sounds delicious Tanya :)

12. Food,Photography & France July 30, 2014 at 08:30 #

I have a pile of peppers sitting in the kitchen, looking for a purpose….they just found it:)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 20:43 #

Or you could just grill them….and pour yourself a lovely glass of rose!

13. Margot @ Gather and Graze July 30, 2014 at 14:18 #

These look amazing Tanya! I’ve never tried stuffed peppers before, but reading through your ingredient list, I can imagine how delicious they would be!

14. narf77 July 30, 2014 at 22:29 #

I have never been a stuffed capsicum person. I don’t know why but capsicum doesn’t turn me on in big chunks. I adore its silky smokiness when it is charred or its ability to blend in seamlessly with the crowd when it is chopped or in slices but in big halves it takes on a bit of a waxy texture and the skin toughens. If anyone can rescue a half a capsicum from waxy hell it is Mr Ottolenghi and if anyone can pull an Ottolenghi classic off it’s YOU Ms Chica :)

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2014 at 20:54 #

I have to confess, my favourite way to eat these is grilled too – with some olive oil and a little lemon juice squeezed over and plenty of bread for dipping and dunking and wine for washing it all down J

• narf77 August 1, 2014 at 05:46 #

I am drooling copiously like Homer Simpson when he is faced with a mountain of do-nuts … GRAAGGGLEAARRGGHH! ;)

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2014 at 18:33 #

I have a hanky for you…. ;)

• narf77 August 1, 2014 at 21:14 #

A roll of kitchen towel would be better…make that 2!

15. Karen August 2, 2014 at 15:23 #

I love stuffed peppers and have peppers in the garden almost ready for picking. Thanks for sharing your and Mr. O’s recipe. :)

• Chica Andaluza August 2, 2014 at 20:45 #

You are most welcome Karen! It’s the first year for many years we’re not in Spain for the summer and our veggie garden, so we’ve not been able to enjoy our home grown peppers – am envious of you (in a nice way, of course)!

16. Melissa's Menu August 24, 2014 at 13:11 #

I would not be able to show restraint with such a delicious meal!

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 843 other followers