Chorizo and Green Olive Scones (made with Goose Fat)

14 Aug

I’m a person who moves house often. I don’t know why it’s been that way – sometimes work, sometimes love, sometimes just for the heck of it. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve moved (well, I suppose I could work it out if I sat down for long enough) and my pals are forever crossing out my details and adding new ones in their address books. Heck, Big Man and I are selling the little flat we bought in Bexhill (well, it was only ever meant to be a temporary arrangement whilst we did the house renovations) and are buying a little house nearby for ourselves. It’s only temporary though you understand.

Chorizo & Olive Scones 009

If we were to up sticks and move, say, to Sydney, we’d zoom in on Celia from Fig Jam & Lime Cordial’s neighbourhood. That’s a lie, we’d stalk her and move in next door so that we could enjoy all her cooking, baking and garden experiments. She’d be rewarded with the fact that we’d probably not stay long and she could get back to normal again when Big Man and Chica relocated to the Cook Islands…

For the moment, it’s mainly Bexhill-on-Sea with the occasional trip back to our Mountain Top Home. Home is wherever the heart is and luckily for us we both feel the same.

As we can’t actually move in next door to Celia, we’ll do the next best thing and join in her invitation to celebrate International Scone Week. Yay! Love an excuse for a Food Fiesta. I do have to confess right here that my very favourite scones are from another Celia, she of The Kitchen’s Garden, and I’ve been making them ever since she told us about them. Smothered with butter, jam AND cream – sigh, they’re the best. But in the spirit of adventure and because Celia (of FJ&LC) and I have been exchanging messages about cooking with lard and pimentón, I give you my savoury scones, based on Celia of TKG recipe. They are actually made with goose fat as this is what I had in the fridge, and not lard, but let’s not quibble or I might buy a house next door to you.

Ingredients

• 2 cups of self raising flour (or use plain flour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder)
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of cornflour
  • 75g goose fat (or lard)
  • 2 level teaspoons of smoked pimentón
  • A pinch of salt and about 10 good grinds of black pepper
  • A piece of cured chorizo about 10cm long cut into tiny dice
  • 10 green (or black) olives, stoned and cut into tiny dice
  • 1/3 cup of milk mixed with a 1/3 cup of iced water

Heat the oven to the highest setting and put a baking tray inside to heat up.

Mix the flour with the cornflour, pimentón and salt and pepper. Mix the fat in lightly with your fingertips until it looks like small breadcrumbs then stir in the pimentón and olives. Gradually add the liquid until the dough comes together. It shouldn’t be too wet or dry and try not to overwork it.

Chorizo & Olive Scones 001

Pat the dough into a round on a floured surface and cut out rounds. Mine made 6 very rustic looking (for “rustic”, read “not perfectly smooth”) large scones but it would be great for mini cocktail sized scones.

Put the scones onto the heated baking tray and bake for 6-10 minutes depending on their size until lightly browned. Serve warm (not hot) or cold, delicious on their own or with cheese.

Happy International Scone Week my Blogging Friends and next time you see a “For Sale” sign go up in your neighbourhood…be very afraid…..

About these ads

48 Responses to “Chorizo and Green Olive Scones (made with Goose Fat)”

1. thecompletebook August 14, 2014 at 09:09 #

I too would love to live next door to Celia, not for too long though as I would become the size of a house with her wonderful cooking. See, so I wouldn’t be put into the stalking category…
    Your savoury scones look heavenly Tanya, they must have been so flavourful!
    Have a wonderful day and looking forward to seeing your new home. :-) Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 11:43 #

It would be dangerous as we’d have to test all recipes for her – as good neighbours, it would only be polite! Have a great day Mandy J

2. frugalfeeding August 14, 2014 at 09:51 #

Those look excellent – nice flavours. Also, it’s nice to move house often – I can’t wait to buy my first house :)

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 11:43 #

Buying your first house is such an exciting experience (and I have to say, I still get excited!). I remember sitting in the garden of the first house I owned on the first evening with a glass of wine in my hand and thinking “although I owe the bank loads of money, I own some of those bricks!” . It was a great feeling J

3. Mad Dog August 14, 2014 at 11:56 #

Those sounds like amazing scones. There’s only one thing better than pig fat and that’s goose fat ;-)
    BTW, the flat downstairs from me is up for sale…

4. PendleStitches August 14, 2014 at 14:15 #

My aunt is very cross at the amount of times she’s had to change my address…she can’t close the address book properly because of the thickness of the labels over my old addresses! This scones look fabulous.

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 16:08 #

Great idea – stickers! Will suggest it to my pals. Better still, will buy them some ;)

5. ladyredspecs August 14, 2014 at 15:08 #

Wicked scones…

6. A Famished Foodie August 14, 2014 at 16:28 #

These looks so yummy. I ate chorizo all the time when I lived in Oviedo, and I’m always looking for new ways to eat it!

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime August 14, 2014 at 17:17 #

I would also move next door to Celia if I could avoid the family habit of everyone living within a 5km radius on the opposite side of Sydney. I’m positively drooling at these :)

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 22:41 #

Hee hee…I think we’re doing that in England – since setting up a “temporary” base her my parents, my best friend, and a cousin from Italy have all set up too!

8. Glenda August 14, 2014 at 17:47 #

Everyone’s scones are fabulous and yours are no exception – lovely

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 21:26 #

Thank you Glenda – that’s very kind of you! It was fun to join in and to see what everyone else made.

9. narf77 August 14, 2014 at 21:49 #

ADDICTED! I knew it! They say that renovating houses is addictive ;) I was wondering why everyone seems to be making meat scones these days and suddenly realised that you are in cahoots with Ms Celia whose scones are particularly meaty in today’s post also…NOW I get it…scone week! I made sesame seed pulp muffins with dates yesterday. Not because it was scone week but because I felt SO bad throwing out the sesame seed pulp from the sesame milk that I make and use in my life sustaining brew (tea) and the chooks have decided that they don’t like it so I needed to find a good use for it. Who would have known that it would make such delightful muffins? Muffins are just a tarted up scone in my house and as Steve was attempting to eat one after dinner last night, Bezial casually got of the couch, wandered over and licked it. Bezial got the muffin ;) I reckon these muffin/scones would be great with butter and jam the next day. Not scones so I can’t enter scone week but I wonder if I could use sesame pulp in scone making? Hmmm…interesting…

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 22:40 #

Yep – you’re right…we’re addicted. We need to sign up for HRA….House Renovators Anonymous. Hello, my name’s Chica and a Renovatorholic J I have to confess the best scones in my (old fashioned non e-book) are plain ones with jam and cream. But I’d go for a sesame pulp one…even if a dog had licked it first ;)

• narf77 August 14, 2014 at 22:53 #

Bezial is pretty cluey, lick that sucker and dad will just hand it over ;). Note, he doesn’t lick my food ;). I am going to have a go at putting sesame pulp into a plain scone recipe. Can’t see why it wouldn’t work, would just make it a bit moister. I would mix it with a bit of the milk used to make them (or lemonade? or cream? too weird for this little black duck ;) ) I could always add it to pikelets and feed them to Bezial if that doesn’t work ;)

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 23:03 #

I’d mix with the milk used to make them although I hear fizzy drinks work…I never buy them so haven’t tried. Dogs are superior beings, they know that if they lick things or food doesn’t quite work out it will probably come their way!

• narf77 August 14, 2014 at 23:20 #

DON’T let Bezial get a whiff of that as otherwise he will be on the table slobbering on everything! ;) . I heard that fizzy drinks work as well but my gran would roll in her grave if she thought I was bastardising her be-ro scone recipe like that, let alone adding cream! I reckon I might just get a serious dose of gran haunting and not in a nice way!

10. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial August 14, 2014 at 22:05 #

Hahaha….oh yes, move in next door, then I’ll have someone to go shopping with for pigs’ ears and Spanish chorizo and Portuguese lard. Can you imagine how much fun we’d have? And I’d bake Big Man a loaf every week… :)

I love that your scones are based on Celi’s – what a wonderful combination of flavours. I’ve never had goose fat before – is it like duck fat? And of course you had to add chorizo and pimenton! They look fabulous! :)

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 22:43 #

Can you imagine?! Yes, goose fat tastes and behaves very much like duck fat (I cooked a goose at Christmas and froze loads of fat and am still working my way through it). It’s a little softer than duck fat but oh so good!

11. 76sanfermo August 14, 2014 at 22:30 #

Congrats for the new house and these extra-super scones

• Chica Andaluza August 14, 2014 at 22:43 #

Thank you – life is extra hectic at the moment! But hey, we like hectic J

12. waterfallsandcaribous August 15, 2014 at 10:33 #

Chorizo…olives…DUCK FAT…!!! WOW. Amazing :)

• Chica Andaluza August 15, 2014 at 11:45 #

;) Glad you liked it. Hope all is going well with your own little Olive!

13. Amanda August 15, 2014 at 21:41 #

This is a serious, savory scone. I make scones often and do it completely differently. What a delicious scone! Goose fat? Self rising flour, chorizo, smoked pimenton and olives! So Spanish. I’m so making these. Thanks for this one!

• Chica Andaluza August 17, 2014 at 19:35 #

Glad you liked it Amanda. It doesn’t stay fresh for long (must be the fat) but hey…it’s not such a hardship to eat them up quickly ;)

14. Soup Guru August 17, 2014 at 01:30 #

There’s something thrilling about changing houses, a sort of a new beginning feeling that I love! And there’s also something about scones that match so well with Spanish sausages, I occasionally make mine with sobrasada! I don’t think I can’t get goose fat around here, but lard for sure I will! :-)

• Chica Andaluza August 17, 2014 at 21:39 #

Oh my – they would be sooo good with sobrasada! And I know what you mean about moving house, I’ve done it so often that it doesn’t scare me but this move is a special one J

15. Joanne T Ferguson (@mickeydownunder) August 17, 2014 at 05:54 #

G’day How unusual and love the combination!
    Thanks for sharing as part of Celia’s International Scone Week too!
    Cheers! Joanne

16. themateriallady August 17, 2014 at 22:08 #

I think if the house next door to Celia was offered for sale (it would actually be advertised as that) there would be a queue round the block and fist fights for it!
    Your scones look great – I am sure The Management would love them but he is on a diet that he doesn’t know about so they will have to wait :(

• Chica Andaluza August 18, 2014 at 18:40 #

Love that The Management is on a diet that he doesn’t know about – brilliant ;)

17. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen August 18, 2014 at 07:03 #

What if all of us Bloggers took over each of the houses around Celia’s?? That’d be so much fun, eh?? I, too, moved about every two years, right up until I got married and had kids. Now we seem to be firmly planted for the next 5 or so years until they move out I think:D Love your rustic scones, I can’t believe I’ve never made a savory scone! Time to do something about that! xx

18. TBM August 19, 2014 at 12:13 #

I’ve moved around quite a bit as well. Didn’t as a kid, but as an adult it I stay in the same place for longer than five years, it’s rare.

• Chica Andaluza August 19, 2014 at 14:04 #

At least we get to see a different slice of life that way!

19. bitsandbreadcrumbs August 19, 2014 at 16:32 #

These would have to taste fantastic with such great ingredients…and chorizo and olive…yum! I think your idea of making small cocktail sized ones would be even better. :)

• Chica Andaluza August 20, 2014 at 15:03 #

Thanks Betsy – little mini scones are great for drinks parties!

20. restlessjo August 20, 2014 at 09:02 #

I thought you’d made a permanent move to Spain, Tanya? Is it the work situation that brings you back here, or family, or just keeping one foot in the door for retirement? Or a bit of both- it’s like 20 questions, isn’t it? (laughing!) :)

• Chica Andaluza August 20, 2014 at 15:04 #

It’s all a bit complicated (when is life ever straightforward?!). A combination of work in the UK plus some ill health in the family have kept us here longer than anticipated. But Spain is still there waiting for us and hopefully we’ll get back again soon. We still talk of it as “home”!

• restlessjo August 20, 2014 at 15:06 #

I feel a bit like that with Tavira but the big move gets ever more distant as dad gets older. Never mind- so long as I die happy :)

• Chica Andaluza August 20, 2014 at 15:09 #

We were living in Spain for a long time (well, Big Man is Spanish so being in Englnad is new to him) and I was there for almost 10 years. Sometimes life takes an unexpected turn but we’re just going with the flow.

Ginger&Bread

A German expat's culinary survival guide to Britain

My Simple Delights

Tickle your taste buds

Zeb Bakes

Bread, the Garden, Walks in Green Places

Around the Bowl

Soups of the world - Recipes from around the globe & some creations of my own

Odd little creature-making

Gather and Graze

The Gourmand Traveller

A blog about food.

Garden Correspondent

Letters from a gardener in southern Turkey

San Luis Baking Co.

A City Girl's Adventures in Baking

What's Cooking

Fine dining my way

Food and Forage Hebrides

Gastronomic endeavours on the edge of Europe

I Spy with My Idiosyncratic Eye ...

GourmetGabriella

Abbandonarsi ai Piaceri per ritrovare il Benessere

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

Just a Smidgen

..a lifestyle blog filled with recipes, photography, poems, and DIY

frugal feeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Una Vista di San Fermo

Milanscapes,countryside,recipes,art, photography and everyday life......

Expat Chef in Barcelona

From my kitchen to yours

recipes and more to inspire you

The Dorset Finca

A blog of all things reassuringly rural.

waterfallsandcaribous

sucking out the marrow...

FrugalFeeding

n. frugality; the quality of being economical with money or food.

Piglet in Portugal

Tales of life and travel in Portugal, UK and France with a humorous twist...

Pendle Stitches

Handmade in Lancashire

willowwears.com

A dressmaker with a passion for fashion

Peri's Spice Ladle

Indian-inspired Food for the Global Palate

100 Square Metres

The ins and outs and ups and downs of my allotment, and some other stuff.

3 Hours Past the Edge of the World

Design Inspiration, Sustainability, Sewing, Style & Cake

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 816 other followers