A Midsummer Night´s Dream

22 Jun

A Midsummer Night´s Dream

As a Londoner, born and bred, I have a deep and loving appreciation for the City´s green spaces.  We have some wonderful parks in London – some for playing in, kicking a ball around and walking the dogs. Others are more formal and perfect for admiring the beauty of the gardens, listening to the band in summer, or just laying back on the grass and enjoying a quiet moment in the heart of London.

One of these parks is Regent´s Park, to the north of the centre, and every summer it hosts a season of Open Air Theatre events. You can take a picnic, a few bottles of something gorgeous, a group of friends and enjoy a wonderful evening.  In true British spirit, the performance is only cancelled if it rains heavily during a performance – a performance is never cancelled before the start time!

Most years a production of Shakespeare´s “A Midsummer Night´s Dream” is performed on that special night and I have seen many performances of this there. Some were based in the future (dire), some were just plain daft, and others more traditional with a mischievous Puck, romantic heroes, comedy players and much silliness.

Last night Big Man and I sat in the garden enjoying the longest day of the year.  We talked, we laughed, we reminisced about summers long gone and talked of our hopes and dreams for those yet to come. It was warm and the sky was clear, a beautiful evening. And while we did this, we sipped on a cocktail we came up with to celebrate this very special night.  Do hope you give it a go and enjoy it!

Sharing a (short) hot summer´s night with talk and laughter

Watermelon and Pomegranate Dream

Blend about 500g of watermelon flesh with half a litre of pomegranate juice and about 20 mint leaves.  Add a spirit of your choice, we used vodka and chill with some ice cubes. Two thirds fill your glass and top up with soda water.

Puck:

If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended,

That you have but slumber´d here, while these visions did appear

And this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend: if you pardon, we will mend.

And, as I´m an honest Puck, if we have unearned luck,

Now to ´scape the serpent´s tongue. We will make amends ere long:

Else the Puck a liar call.  So, good night unto you all.

Give me your hands, if we be friends, And Robin shall restore amends.

In loving memory of a dear friend, and an amazing cook, long gone but always fondly remembered with laughter and smiles. Happy Birthday Gary – think you would have enjoyed this one!

23 Responses to “A Midsummer Night´s Dream”

1. chaiselongue1 June 22, 2011 at 09:58 #

That sounds a perfect cocktail for a summer night! I’ll have to try it. Your outdoor theatre memories reminded me of an outdoor performance of Romeo and Juliet I saw in Wales once, when the cast speeded up the last act because a downpour started about 10 minutes before the end! We all saw it through though – cast and crowd.

• chicaandaluza June 22, 2011 at 11:44 #

Oh yes, I´ve sat through a few damp performances too. You have to remember to take your rug and cushion but they don´t let you put umbrellas up! The Wartime Spirit….nothing like it!

2. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book June 22, 2011 at 10:30 #

I want a Mid Summer Nights Dream NOW!

3. Ria June 22, 2011 at 10:46 #

Your cocktail looks delicious, I’d love to try it! I raised a glass to someone special last night too……

4. florence and freddie June 22, 2011 at 10:59 #

What a lovely post. The coctail looks delicious. I would recognise those elbows anywhere! LOL!
    Florence x

• chicaandaluza June 22, 2011 at 11:45 #

Aah – those big old elbows! Am quite getting into cocktails now, very naughty mid week though….;)

5. thefooddoctor June 22, 2011 at 11:50 #

I loved your post..the memories..the tribute and the amazing recipe!
    You put a smile on my face..thank you

• chicaandaluza June 22, 2011 at 20:30 #

You´re welcome, thanks so much for your very kind words!

6. TheDorsetFinca June 22, 2011 at 19:48 #

Those cocktails have my weekend drinks sorted – thank you!! Can’t wait to try it (also a perfect excuse for trimming the run-away mint)!

• chicaandaluza June 22, 2011 at 20:31 #

Oh that mint – why is is that it flourishes so easily and with so little love and the things we nurture and want to grow just take their time?! Enjoy your drinks!

7. Tandy June 23, 2011 at 09:38 #

awesome cocktail! Will have to wait for summer to try that 🙂 Cin Cin to your friend

• chicaandaluza June 23, 2011 at 10:51 #

Aah, thanks Tandy, very kind! You´ll have to stick to “Winter Warmers” for the moment…

8. ....RaeDi June 23, 2011 at 19:46 #

I love the outdoors theater, you brought back so many wonderful memories, and this cocktail looks divine I am sure it will be a keeper. Living in Washington State (across the water from Seattle) their is lots of rain, and more rain, rain never cancels a thing, if they did so much would have to be canceled….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 23, 2011 at 23:53 #

To be honest, much of what we do (did…I´m not there aymore!) would probably be cancelled anywhere else! It´s that British attitude, which I love, which says “the weather stinks, but hey, we´ll have fun anyway!”

9. Fired Up Cooking SA June 30, 2011 at 10:05 #

Such a lovely post, Chcia, what a wonderful way to spend an evening! Love that cocktail, it would be perfect for a hot summer evening 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 30, 2011 at 12:16 #

It was a lovely evening, and we´ve had the cocktail again….as you say, perfect for a summer evening!

10. ohlidia October 17, 2013 at 04:07 #

This really does sound like a dream! LOVE cocktails! I’d better hurry and give this a try while I can still find watermelons at the farmers’ market.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:26 #

No watermelons for us now in the UK (well, maybe if I look really hard!) but we really love this in the summer!

11. Burhan April 18, 2015 at 05:56 #

would be more enjoyable if the enter the ice again, hehe

1. Watermelon pomegranate dream « Chef in disguise - June 28, 2011

[…] I saw this recipe onChica Andaluza blog I knew I HAD to try it..You see I’ve been having an affair with […]

2. One funky fruit salad and fruit recipes you’ll really like | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide - June 29, 2011

[…] I haven’t forgotten about cocktails. Linda over at Savoring Every Bite has this amazing blueberry and basil vodka lemonade. Chica Andaluza is serving up watermelon and pomegranate dreams. […]