Just Taggin´Along…

13 Jan

Walking towards home with the dogs Jan 2012

When I was a child in primary school (that´s ages 5-12 in the UK) playground games were boisterous, energetic and quite often a little violent.  Most of us arrived home at least once a week with grazed knees and scuffed shoes.  Bloody noses and bruises were also fairly normal and I personally did seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the local hospital´s casualty department getting various bits of my body stitched up or covered in some serious bandaging.  Nothing much has changed over the years for me, I have to say!

So, recently I was reminded of a game we particularly enjoyed which was called British Bulldog.  The rules were flexible and tended to change depending on the players but essentially you had to get from point A to point B in the playground without being “tagged” by the Bulldog.  As the game went on, more and more people became “Bulldogs” and joined a chain of people trying to catch or “tag” the remaining folk who were still busily rushing between the two points.  All good fun it was too and worth the bruises and bloody noses.

Recently I was tagged by ChgoJohn From the Bartolini Kitchens and Spree from Cooking Spree to join in the 10 Questions Tag Game that is going round. With pleasure I thought…and I was also quite relieved that I wouldn´t have to run around the garden screaming at the top of my voice and enduring cuts and bruises as I went.

So, here goes, and watch out…because you might be “it” next!

1.  Describe yourself in seven words.
Only seven? Passionate (in pretty much all that I do). Faithful (to friends and loved ones). Optimistic (the glass is pretty much always half full unless it contains wine, in which case I´ll have another little top up please). Creative (well, I´m left handed, so I have to be). Caring (sometimes overly so, but I can live with that). Impatient (short attention span, always wanting to try that thing, that way, that road). Inquisitive….well, you never stop learning, do you?

2.  What keeps you up at night?
Thoughts about things I want to do, write, make, say…now I just get up and either do them, write them or jot them down ready for the next day.

3. Who would you like to be?
At the grand old age of 46 years and 50 weeks I have now accepted that I am who I am and no one else.  Having said that, I wouldn´t mind being the Biggest Super World Leader for a day and getting all the other Super World Leaders together in a room (which would be very cold and uncomfortable) and knocking all their heads together and telling them to sort things out pronto for the rest of the world and to start behaving nicely.

Priego de Cordoba May 2011

4.  What are you wearing now?
Well, a scarlet Schiaparelli evening gown, diamonds and really long satin evening gloves…isn´t that compulsory for blogging? Ok, jeans, a polo neck and two dogs lying on my feet.

5.  What scares you?

Losing people I love, or them getting sick and suffering.

6.  What are the best and worst things about blogging?
I think my answers are the same as everyone elses.  The people I have “met”, the kindness I have come across, the unexpected joy of a few special words from a new blogging pal.  Also, the fact that I am inspired by others to learn more and create more.

The downside is time…never enough of it to work properly at developing and maintaining these new friendships, never enough to cook the recipes that inspire me, or to make the things I want to make…

7.  What was the last website you looked at?
Trip Advisor – we booked a hotel for the night of my birthday and since reading the reviews have cancelled it…

8.  If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?
What, apart from losing a third of my body weight? Well, I´d like to learn to be less of a Butterfly i.e. moving between about 20 projects at once (although I do typically see them through to the end) and focusing on one or two at a time.

9.  Slankets, yes or no?
Ok, am going to be radical and admit that Yes, I do have one.  There you go, I´m out of that closet!  It was a gift two Christmases ago and seemed like an ok idea at the time. It wasn´t.  I am now much more happy when cosied up under my enormous Orange Granny Blanket which I made at the end of last year.  Here it is being beautifully modeled by Young Master Alfi.

Just keeping your spot warm...

10. Tell us something about the person who tagged you.
Oooh – this is nice!  ChgoJohn is a long lost Italian cousin of mine…at least it feels like that to me.  He is an amazing cook with strong love of his family and the heritage that was passed down to him through his parents and extended family. He kindly shares his little family secrets with us and we get to feel al little bit of Italian family love through each recipe.

Spree is a newer blogging pal of mine, who really has the very beautiful name of Antoinette.  She takes amazing photos which leave me breathless and really does “put love on the table” with her gorgeous recipes and has already inspired me to make bread in a whole new way.

Thanks to you both for tagging me!

Of course, the tradition of the game requires me to tag a few folk…so look below, “you´re it”, feel free to tag along or not.

Fired Up Cooking – bringing us incredible meals from the campfire or Braai.  Who knew you could bake on a barbie?
I heart Mondegreens – a beautiful US expat with her lovely Spanish D Man, finding her way around through work, homesickness, recipes and laughter in Spain.
Fati´s Recipes – from Down Under, this girl is amazing.  She studies, she cooks, she entertains and she just leaves you wanting more!

55 Responses to “Just Taggin´Along…”

1. spicegirlfla January 13, 2012 at 17:42 #

Tanya, I’m so thankful to have met you; you’re truly a fun Chica and I love your style!! Master Alfi looks adorably comfortable all wrapped up!! So glad you joined in and shared a little more about yourself!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:04 #

Thank you – it was fun to do. Am having a bit of a battle getting my blanket back though 😉

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 13, 2012 at 18:01 #

I find it hard to type in satin gloves, but I persevere. Great post and I too love the dog photo.

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:05 #

You could try fingerless?! The dog was a bit too cosy there…he has claimed ownership of the blanket.

3. spree January 13, 2012 at 18:14 #

Your answers were every bit as adorable as master Alfi (and he’s over-the-top!! which obviously can’t have been lost on you!) This post was such a delight to read! Loved your description of the cthildhood game of Bull Dog! Awesome story-telling! I’m so thankful you played along Tanya! And not a bruise on you!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:06 #

It was remarkably pain free – and I really enjoyed doing it. Alfi is a bit too cute for his own good sometimes!

4. kathryningrid January 13, 2012 at 18:34 #

The more we know, the more there is to love! Thanks for sharing your answers (and some new blogs to explore). Your blog has such a great and unique voice that I really do feel I’m right alongside you for many of your adventures, and that’s one of the things I most relish in good writing and storytelling, whether in blogs or books or personal letters–all of which this evokes. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:07 #

Thank you so much….you see, it´s lovely comments like that which inspire me to keep going, and writing and creating! Muchisimas gracias Kathryn…

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 13, 2012 at 18:55 #

Gorgeous photos, a fun story to read and great to get to know more about you. I love your sweet doggie wrapped in that grand ORANGE crocheted blanket…so much better than a slanket could ever be, but appreciate your brave admission! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:09 #

I felt it was time to be honest…no secrets here! I feel better for the admission and am now moving on 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the read.

6. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise January 13, 2012 at 19:00 #

Loved knowing more about you Tanya 🙂
    and Alfi looks so cute wrapped up I hope he is all better now

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:10 #

Thanks Sawsan, glad you enjoyed the read. Naughty Alfi is back to normal and his usual tricks!

7. katyarich January 13, 2012 at 19:10 #

Beautiful pictures, I love your blog and it was really enjoyable reading this post, so are you Pisces?

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:13 #

No, I´m Aquarius – 21st Jan, I think it´s the 1st or 2nd day of the star sign. Don´t know much about star signs but many people have told me I´m a fairly typical Aquarian. Which is odd as my brother´s birthday is 23rd Jan (3 years apart though) and although we are both fun loving and have a similar sense of humour, we´re very, very different characters!

8. gardenfreshtomatoes January 13, 2012 at 19:14 #

Nice answers!
    This one’s really the most fun; I love learning more about everyone…
    Love the giant granny square – good luck getting it back!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 19:35 #

Thank you, glad you liked it! It´s tough when you´re fighting a cute 10kg dog for a blanket. I think I may lose in the end 😉

9. TheDorsetFinca January 13, 2012 at 20:04 #

That was fab to read! Yay for slankets – my new best friend! x

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 20:09 #

I had to come clean, no one else was admitting to it!

10. Michi January 13, 2012 at 20:19 #

Thank you for the tag! 🙂

I love your orange blanket, by the way! I’m attempting to learn to knit right now (I’ve bought the yarn, but apparently have the wrong knitting needles), and D-Man recently told me he’d love a blanket. Since his favorite color is orange, it’d surely be that color, but the thought of combining different SHADES of orange hadn’t crossed my mind until I saw your picture!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2012 at 20:41 #

Thank you – I crocheted as I find it quicker and easier than knitting (ie. if you drop a stitch you can easily pick it up or hide it!) so prefer it for large scale projects. Good luck with finding the right sized needles. Knitting and crochet can be very relaxing….

• Michi January 14, 2012 at 00:11 #

See, I don’t even know the difference! But my friend (the one who’s going to teach me) let me know that what I bought were the crochet needles, which is great, though they’re much smaller than what is recommended for a beginner. Ah, I’ve heard it’s relaxing. My grandmother tried to teach me several times when I was very young (not even 10), but I’m hoping I can get the hang of it this time around… eek. ; )

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 01:03 #

Yes, here they sell the really fine needles for the lace type crochet – I´ve bought my bigger ones in charity shops or on line. There´s loads of help on line for learning to crochet and once you mastered the basics and how to read a pattern you´ll be doing it like a pro in no time….¡suerte!

11. Malou Prestado January 13, 2012 at 22:08 #

Wow, apart from looking at your lovely pictures, I enjoyed reading this piece about yourself! It is great to know more of you and the many things that you love to do. I’m not good with knitting and crochet so I am always bowled over by those with talents for them.

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 01:06 #

Thank you so much for your kind words! I´m not an expert knitter or crocheter (is that a word?) but I enjoy doing it, especially in the colder months as it keeps me warm as I work 🙂

12. ceciliag January 13, 2012 at 22:33 #

We used to call that game BullRush and we played it on a grassy area above high tide! Man did we bleed. But the Wheeler kids were mean (that was us!!) I jhave not though t about that in years!! I LOVE TANYA! and by the way Love the gown! i am wearing one too, the tiara got a bit heavy tho!!! c

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 01:05 #

Childhood games were fun – no thoughts of suing the schools or the teachers for injuries sustained! So glad you like the gown…damn, my tiara is locked up in the family vaults. Or maybe we had to pawn it 😉

13. Michelle January 13, 2012 at 23:05 #

Love your answers. But really, really love the view on your dog walk. You’re a lucky girl!

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 00:57 #

Thank you so much. I am indeed lucky – that´s the final approach to my little hamlet!

14. ChgoJohn January 14, 2012 at 00:07 #

“Long lost cousin?” My next visit home, I’m asking Zia to get out the old photo albums. I bet we’ll find pics of you seated at the table, time and time again. How you got to the UK from there must be quite a story! Really enjoyed this post, Tanya, as well as the opportunity to learn a bit more about you. That “Granny Blanket” is a work of art, very nicely done! And the blogosphere has a new star: Alfi. What a cutie! Thank you, too, for your very kind words sent my way. You’ve always been very supportive and it means a lot to me.

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 01:00 #

Ah “igualmente” as we say here. And yes, I bet you see me in those old photos – the chubby kid, then the slightly punky teenager, then the young lady with shoulder pads…but always making sure she got a good pile of food on her plate! Alfi loves the camera, unlike his “sister” Luna who is immensely camera shy. He´s planning to make more appearances (as soon as his agent can agree on a fee)!

15. writingfeemail January 14, 2012 at 01:51 #

I love the part about what your are wearing – all glitz and glam – and then owning the truth. Never be ashamed of those jeans! This seemed like fun to remember and share. Thanks.

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 11:12 #

Hi there and thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. It´s good to laught at yourself a little sometimes I think and I enjoyed writing this post! Hope to see you here again soon 🙂

16. Kay aka Babygirl January 14, 2012 at 06:45 #

I loved learning more about you from these questions… Such a cool post 🙂

17. The Spain Scoop - Scoopette January 14, 2012 at 10:30 #

Great to learn about you in this very personal post!

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 10:55 #

Sometimes it´s fun to write something a Little different!

18. thecompletecookbook January 14, 2012 at 10:45 #

What a fantastic post – loved your answers – so much fun! My satin gown is in the wash today so I had to dress down for this occasion, hope you don’t mind and it seems little Alfie has clearly inherited a new gorgeous crochet blankie. I am busy with another baby blanket – I now have 4 babies to crochet for!
    Oh and please let me know if you would like a 2IC the day you are the Biggest Super World Leader – I will gladly keep the others in line for you who don’t want to listen.
    Have a beautiful weekend.

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 10:59 #

Thanks Mandy – glad to hear we are all keeping up sartorial standards for blogging around the world 😉 Cheeky little Alfi…I´ll have to make myself another one but like you am onto some baby ones now. We have a niece expecting twins (very exciting!) and best friends niece is also expecting. And yes please to the offer of a 2IC – I think I´ll be needing help. Won´t be offering them any refreshments though, don´t want them to get comfortable and ignore the task in hand…if only 😉

19. Versa Kay January 14, 2012 at 14:07 #

Great post. Nice photos.

20. Rachel January 14, 2012 at 17:00 #

How fun! I love getting to “know you” a little better (I’d vote for you to be Biggest Super World Leader – for a day, anyway…) and I love the cascading geraniums!!

• Chica Andaluza January 14, 2012 at 17:02 #

Thank you and please do come and join the Biggest Super World Leader For a Day Team – I´m sure we could all sort them out!

21. Christina January 14, 2012 at 23:38 #

So fun getting to know other bloggers! Your pup is super cute!! 😀

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2012 at 11:06 #

Thank you – he does rather like posing for the camera!

22. Calico Stretch January 15, 2012 at 08:14 #

Hi Tanya – wow I am always stunned at the amazing food blogs out there and am very glad to have found yours. its a good ready and lovely to to learn something about the person behind the yum, so thanks for that.

From one butterfly (with attention span of a gnat) to another – hope the birthday sojourn has been re-booked?

Cheers
    Emily

PS we have bullrush in NZ too, pretty as you explained it. Didn’t get blood noses, though plenty of scraped knees.

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2012 at 11:15 #

Glad you like the blog and I look forward to you enjoying more posts! The bloody noses were probably more down to me constantly falling over a lot and smacking my face on the playground floor (usually gravel). My mum and grandma spent a lot of my childhood picking gravel out of my knees with tweezers!

• Emily January 19, 2012 at 09:29 #

Oh god. Us too. Was a kid thing. Right of passage.

• Chica Andaluza January 19, 2012 at 11:57 #

I think a few people played this (under different names). I remember it being fun if somewhat “tough”!

23. Karen January 15, 2012 at 16:05 #

It is nice getting to know you better. Your fun spirit really shines through. I wanted to comment about your first photo…it is so much greener than I thought it would be this time of the year.

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2012 at 17:52 #

It´s so green as we had a hot but short summer followed by a couple of weeks or rain and then nothing but sun, sun, sun so everywhere thinks it is Spring! We are just this minute having our first rain since about November which is so needed..

24. the island traveler January 16, 2012 at 07:46 #

Wonderful and amazing you. Love the narration and the beautiful photos. So fresh and full of life!!!

25. Fired Up Cooking SA February 21, 2012 at 18:51 #

HEY! You tagged me – it was such a surprise to see me there!! Thank you, Chica, I shall answer the questions & tag someone else this weekend 😀

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2012 at 19:09 #

Yes – I love you your blog and wanted others who maybe didn´t know it yet to pop over and visit you!