Back to the 70´s – Prawns in Lettuce Cups

30 Mar

Getting Groovy with the Prawns

Do you remember the 1970s? Well, I am sure some of you do, even if you were only babes in arms.  I was a young teenager at the end of the 1970s but it was a time in London when great changes were afoot in the world of food.  The height of sophistication at the time for a dinner party was probably something along the lines of prawn and avocado cocktail, steak with pepper sauce and Black Forest gâteau for dessert. And nothing wrong with any of that I say…but the 80s were soon going to herald the advent of Nouvelle Cuisine (or really tiny portions) and strange mixtures of ingredients such as Loin of some Obscure and Almost Extinct Creature Marinated in a Gooseberry and Guinness Jus. Well, you know what I mean.

Having watched a DVD of Abigail´s Party (I wish I knew how to insert video clips), I was clearly feeling nostalgic and decided to go a bit retro with my peeled prawns. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and accept you´re getting old…

Ingredients for 4 people as a starter

• Two lettuce hearts (use 8 of the bigger outside leaves and use the rest for salad)
  • 1 cup of peeled prawns, cooked and cut in half if large
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (not too finely)
  • 1 ripe avocado (chopped into small cubes)
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Half a cup of Marie Rose sauce (I made mine using 3 tablespoons of tomato ketchup, 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 1 heaped teaspoon of horseradish sauce, 1 teaspoon of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and 1 tablespoon of sweet chili sauce)
  • Pimentón to taste

Simply mix all the ingredients together and spoon into the lettuce leaves.  Sprinkle with hot or sweet Pimentón.

Now, put some groovy 1970s dinner party music on the built in Hi-fi, slip into a glamorous kaftan and enjoy the evening….

74 Responses to “Back to the 70´s – Prawns in Lettuce Cups”

1. chaiselongue1 March 30, 2012 at 10:29 #

Oh, yes, I’m afraid I do remember when prawn cocktails signified sophistication! Yours look wonderful, though, and I’m sure taste good. There wasn’t anything really wrong with food in seventies, in itself, if was just limited and now I think it’s time to return to prawns in mayonnaise. A friend made them for us the other night and I enjoyed them!

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 12:22 #

It´s true what you say about food being limited. We used to be lucky enough to go to Italy every year to visit family and bought back olive oil with us because when I was very young I think you could only buy it in teeny tiny bottles in Boots (pharmacy) for medicinal use…whatever that was!

• chaiselongue1 March 30, 2012 at 18:54 #

I was lucky too, to grow up in Mediterranean countries, but I remember knowing people who hadn’t eaten pasta until they went to university – impossible to imagine these days!

2. ChgoJohn March 30, 2012 at 10:37 #

“A glamorous kaftan”? You just don’t see those words in the same sentence, let alone used together, anymore. Rather oxymoronic, no? 🙂

I don’t care what decade it came from, this would make a great starter both in taste and presentation. Good, fresh ingredients will never go out of style. Thanks, Tanya, for what must be a tasty way to begin a meal.

Now, about that video …

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 12:24 #

John, you´ve clearly never had a rummage round my mother´s scary kaftan collection. I wish I was joking but I really am not! Do have to admit to a few drunken photos with girlfriends (not so long ago) when we all put my mother´s kaftans on…she saw the funny side (eventually)!

It was a fun starter, and the prawns were big and juicy, so very tasty indeed.

3. Calico Stretch March 30, 2012 at 10:38 #

Hey I remember shrimp cocktails. Haven’t had one in, well decades actually and your version looks A LOT LOT better than the poor little things from the 70s/80s/oh my god that was a long time ago. Anyway, avocados certainly weren’t around that I knew of so the cocktails were 1000 island dressing smothering lettuce and shrimps. That was about it.

I think I will have to check your one out – Yummo.

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 12:25 #

Oh yes that 1000 Island Dressing which always seemed to have worrying green bits in it. And served in those metal ice cream bowls or cocktail glasses!

• Calico Stretch March 31, 2012 at 10:38 #

Oh god I had forgotten all about the metal bowls and the green bits.

4. Tandy March 30, 2012 at 10:43 #

sometimes, a blast from the past is exactly what we need 🙂

5. themateriallady March 30, 2012 at 11:00 #

I regret I remember when ‘Vesta’ Curries and risottos were considered the height of cool.

The management always started his meals out with a ‘prawn cocktail’ when we went out back then. Weren’t most prawn cocktails followed by ‘well done'(burnt) steak and banana splits?

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 12:26 #

God, Vesta curries – that takes me back to Uni days where I was in Halls which provided food. It was so dire we all used to run upstairs after dinner and make Vesta curries on the little two ring burner we had in our kitchen!

6. Simply Tia March 30, 2012 at 11:16 #

This recipe I’ll have to try. Looks scrumptious Tanya.

7. Florence March 30, 2012 at 11:21 #

Hi T. I always think this is a great starter. Taste over trend every time! 🙂
    Have a great weekend.
    Florence x

8. thecompletecookbook March 30, 2012 at 12:04 #

Something about this that is always a winner no matter the year or our age Tanya! Delicious!

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 14:46 #

People who like prawns generally do tend to go a bit misty eyed when you mention prawn cocktail!

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 30, 2012 at 13:55 #

Will I get in trouble if I say no to your question? I wouldn’t say no to these cups. Also, we watched That 70s Show. Does that count?

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 14:47 #

Ok, you young ones, you won´t get into trouble! And yes, That 70s Show counts…. 😉

• Sawsan@ Chef in disguise April 2, 2012 at 20:27 #

I was born on 1978 so I’m with Greg on this one 🙂 but I watched that 70’s show, glad it counts

• Chica Andaluza April 2, 2012 at 21:09 #

All my young readers..bless ´em!

• Just A Smidgen April 4, 2012 at 04:41 #

Hmmm, I wonder if Greg was named after a certain someone in The Brady Bunch??

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:53 #

Hee hee, loved that programme!

10. niasunset March 30, 2012 at 15:05 #

Seems beautiful and so delicious… Thank you dear Chica, have a nice weekend, with my love, nia

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 15:47 #

You too Nia – you´ve been quiet lately, hope all is ok?

• niasunset March 30, 2012 at 15:51 #

thank you dear chica, I am fine just slept long today. Love and Hugs, nia

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 15:53 #

Good, well you have a wonderful weekend!

• niasunset March 30, 2012 at 15:55 #

You too dear Chica… Love, nia

11. Robert Bovington March 30, 2012 at 15:39 #

Looks like a delicious recipe. I usually let my wife do the cooking but this looks like a recipe that I could manage.

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 15:46 #

This is an easy one that tastes great but looks like you´ve put some effort in – and thanks for reblogging it, very kind!

12. zestybeandog March 30, 2012 at 15:40 #

These look heavenly! A great little cocktail party starter!

13. Robert Bovington March 30, 2012 at 15:43 #

Reblogged this on Bits & Blogs and commented:
    This looks like a delicious recipe. I usually leave the cooking to my wife but this looks like a meal that I could manage to prepare.

14. spree March 30, 2012 at 17:37 #

Far out!! Thanks for bringing back a dish that never deserved to be left behind!
    Here’s something I wonder about, Tanya. In certain restaurants and on certain menus, various items are described as appetizers. But it seems to me that an appetizer’s job is not to fill us up, like so many do, but rather to whet and wake up the appetite. These little numbers of yours do just that! positively nummy!

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 18:24 #

Far out indeed…man! And yes, the appetizer should be the “curtain up” to the show, with the pudding as the grand finale (and possibly the encore too)!

15. promenadeplantings March 30, 2012 at 18:20 #

As soon as I saw the title of your post and the photo I was thinking about Abigail’s Party – do you like Denis Rousos Tone?
    I love prawn cocktail, 70’s or otherwise!

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 18:23 #

So funny, Alison Steadman is brilliant in that. And as some of my pals call me “Tarn” (for Tanya) and my surname is Russo, I´ll have to say “groovy” to Demis Roussos!

• promenadeplantings March 30, 2012 at 18:34 #

Well I just might have to know you now as Groovy Chica 🙂

16. TheDorsetFinca March 30, 2012 at 18:56 #

This looks amazing. I only wish my husband loved avocado as much as me. 😦

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 19:14 #

It´s always tricky isn´t it when one person can´t “appreciate” an ingredient as much as the other. I guess it would be easy to just add avocado to half the mix though on this one!

17. Caroline March 30, 2012 at 19:12 #

This looks incredible, Tanya! What a great appetizer for a dinner party. So colorful, too! x

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 20:13 #

Thanks Caroline – and easy to prepare ahead and just assemble at the last minute!

18. spicegirlfla March 30, 2012 at 19:19 #

how fun!! I once did a dinner party of all retro foods!! It brought back so many memories and laughs from everyone! I’ll have to make a note on this recipe for next time!!

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2012 at 20:15 #

That must have been such a fun evening – I can just imagine it. Hope you all got dressed up too!

19. Bluejellybeans March 30, 2012 at 23:48 #

Jaja! Me ha encantado la receta y su toque retro. Demis Roussos? Algún primo lejano?
    Que tengas un muy buen fin de semana Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza March 31, 2012 at 09:55 #

Nunca se sabe…no sé si tenemos un ramo de la familia en Grecia! Un bien fin de semana para ti también Giovanna..

20. Mad Dog March 31, 2012 at 02:03 #

They do a very good prawn cocktail in Lorelei, and you can never have enough cheese, so fondue or cheese and wine parties are great by me. Fanny Cradock has some great tips 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 31, 2012 at 09:56 #

Ooh yes, Fondue! And good old Fanny and Johnny…am chuckling now thinking about some of her classic quotes 😉

21. katyarich March 31, 2012 at 10:20 #

This is really a luxury meal, looks great and delicious:)

22. island traveler March 31, 2012 at 15:03 #

I love prawns. This is a refreshing way to enjoy my ever favorite seafood. I hope to try this soon. Thanks…Have a wonderful weekend.

• Chica Andaluza March 31, 2012 at 16:46 #

Thank you – you have a great weekend too with your family!

23. Mary March 31, 2012 at 15:12 #

I remember this well. There was also a crab stuffed avocado that was popular back them. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

• Chica Andaluza March 31, 2012 at 16:45 #

Thank you Mary for your lovely comment! It´s always good to welcome new friends, so I´m pleased you liekd what you saw 🙂

24. sportsglutton March 31, 2012 at 19:33 #

I might be too young to remember much of the seventies, but I would have remember them if I had had these lettuce cups. 🙂 Hope you have a great weekend!

25. atasteofmadess April 1, 2012 at 10:13 #

These look too good! I must try them out sometime!

26. rsmacaalay April 1, 2012 at 10:13 #

Lovely nice lettuce wraps, I love a lot in it prawns, avocadoes, eggs. Great combination of flavours

• Chica Andaluza April 1, 2012 at 10:15 #

Thank you Raymund – we are planning on making them again soon!

27. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 2, 2012 at 00:56 #

I’m feelin’ groovy just looking at this saucy shrimp dish. Ah yes, I remember Mama Cass and the kaftans…never wore one of those, but I do remember wearing quiana knit paisley wide collared disco shirts and flare legged pants…an um interesting time in fashion all around! A really fun and made me smile trip down memory lane and your prawns in lettuce cups looks delicious, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza April 2, 2012 at 09:34 #

Thanks Betsy – I was too young for kaftans but I do have a fab picture of me aged about 13 with a very groovy pair of flares with diagonal stripes (lucky I wasn´t a porker) and a short feathery haircut! Glad you liked the recipe and the trip down memory lane. Ah..Mama Cass….!

28. Michi April 3, 2012 at 19:09 #

Haha, even the pastel salmon color of the prawn salad screams 70s/80s. I love it.

I remember my favorite hairstyle being the ponytail to one side, and boy, did I sport those leggings with over-sized sweatshirts and fluorescent accessories. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 19:41 #

Me too and I was probably way too old to be doing it!

29. PendleStitches April 3, 2012 at 20:48 #

In these parts these are still the height of sophistication. Not the lovely version you’ve made but nasty frozen prawns in mayonnaise with tomato ketchup in it! I’m only joking a little bit.

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:50 #

I know you´re only joking a Little bit…have had the “experience” on visits to London!

30. Just A Smidgen April 4, 2012 at 04:43 #

I love this… I’m certain my parents made the shrimp cocktail appetizers all the time!! The 70’s were awesome!! Fringe leather vests.. headbands.. bellbottom jeans.. but how would I know what they wore back then;) I love your new “update” on an old faithful dish!

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:54 #

Thanks Betsy – they weren´t all bad were they those years that Fashion Forgot?!

31. halal786 April 21, 2012 at 00:26 #