Sometimes Life Isn´t Too Short to Stuff a Mushroom

17 Sep

Now that I have some semblance of normality cooking back into my cooking life, it´s fun to start enjoying foods that are not so readily available to us in Spain. Stilton cheese (that beautiful, pungent English blue cheese) for one. And bizarrely flat mushrooms – we don´t get much mushroom choice available locally Up the Mountain unless we go foraging.

To go with an amazing T-Bone steak for Big Man (what else) and a fillet steak for me, I made some delicious mushrooms stuffed with spring onion, stilton and dolcelatte. Another simple dish, but oh so good with the beautiful local beef available here in East Sussex.

Ingredients (to stuff 2-4 flat mushrooms, depending on the size of your mushrooms)

• About half a cup of coarse, fresh breadcrumbs (I made mine from day old ciabatta)
  • The finely chopped stems of the mushrooms
  • About 75g of cheese (I used a mixture of stilton and dolcelatte)
  • 2 medium spring onions finely sliced
  • 1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil

Start by drizzling a little olive oil into each mushroom. Mix all the other ingredients together, season to taste and divide it between the mushrooms. Press the filling down a little and then drizzle a little more oil over the top.

Bake in a hot oven for about 15 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the stuffing starts to crisp. Delicious as a side dish or a starter.

And for anyone feeling brave..take a look at the old kitchen/bathroom in house number two. Eek!

63 Responses to “Sometimes Life Isn´t Too Short to Stuff a Mushroom”

1. recipeshappen September 17, 2012 at 16:49 #

Those mushrooms look good!!
    I love making stuffed mushrooms, and they’ll probably be on my menu again this week. 🙂

Bonnie

2. Mad Dog September 17, 2012 at 16:53 #

I bet you both appreciate being able to cook again. Great mushrooms 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:21 #

Yes, the appreciation ismost definitely mutual!

3. The Wanderlust Gene September 17, 2012 at 17:00 #

Sounds delicious just as it is.

So you’ve stripped it out – now the fun begins 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:22 #

Yes, no need for anything else if you don´t want it!

4. TBM September 17, 2012 at 17:24 #

Mouthwatering…we are becoming huge fans of Stilton cheese. Huge in more than one way 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:29 #

I know what you mean, cheese is a bit naughty (but good naughty)!

5. thecompletecookbook September 17, 2012 at 19:11 #

I love it all except the blue cheese – never have been able to get accustomed to it. So exciting to see the “gutted” new kitchen / bathroom in house 2.

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:24 #

My best pal also doesn´t “do” blue cheese – I´d make it with brie or camembert, or mozzarella (or all three) for you and her! Yes, the gutted kitchen is …erm..a challenge!

6. ceciliag September 17, 2012 at 19:13 #

House Number TWO! well i think you need more than a stuffed mushroom or two, tasty tho they would be.. I have unfollowed and followed you to try and get you back in my email.. fingers crossed! c

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:25 #

Oh I saw you had problems, what a pain! Well, you saw the size of the steaks we also had to keep our energy levels up 🙂

• ceciliag September 18, 2012 at 15:29 #

steak is good! c

7. Pendle Stitches September 17, 2012 at 20:29 #

Steak and cheesy mushrooms is about as good as it gets. I cannot wait to see what you do with this kitchen. Eep…very exciting.

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:25 #

…and a little bit scary…gulp!

• Pendle Stitches September 18, 2012 at 17:46 #

Pish! A woman of your capabilities can pull this off with aplomb!

8. Promenade Claire September 17, 2012 at 21:54 #

Eeek! But the stuffed mushrooms are a brilliant idea
    now back to work…..:)

9. Marianne September 17, 2012 at 22:26 #

Sounds lovely except for the blue cheese 😦 Other than that, sounds delish!

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:27 #

Some people just don´t do the blue cheese thing – but there are so many other lovely cheeses to use, especially melty ones!

10. chaiselongue1 September 17, 2012 at 23:13 #

Stilton is definitely one of the best British cheeses – a really special flavour. It looks as though you made delicious use of it here. And you’ve made a good start on the second house – it always has to get worse before it gets better. Bon courage!

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:29 #

Aha – a fan in the stilton camp! And yes, it does all have to get much, much worse before it gets better but at least now we´ve had the experience of the first one 🙂

11. omeletta September 18, 2012 at 05:17 #

a good bluey cheese with steak & mushrooms is like the ultimate good meal 🙂 And yes- eek to your kitchen and bathroom! Can’t wait to see what it looks like when it’s done.

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:29 #

I´m glad I´m not the only one saying “eek” – I wondered if I was over reacting 😉

12. Eha September 18, 2012 at 06:51 #

Have always loved making and eating stuffed mushrooms: haven’t put as strong cheese in methinks, but this DOES look moreish!! Another recipe for the files!!

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:30 #

I do love strong flavours but I know they´re not for everyone. We really enjoyed them!

13. TheDorsetFinca September 18, 2012 at 08:42 #

Mushrooms are the best… and we’re almost into mushroom-finding-season. Although I usually insist on trekking round the fields with our plastic bags and our field spotter guides, we pretty much end up convincing ourselves that every fungi we come across will give us heart palpitations and therefore come home empty handed!! x

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:30 #

Yes, we are very wary too, but we have enough local experts Up the Mountain to guide us thankfully! I need to invite Antonio Carluccio for a walk with us!

14. Food,Photography & France September 18, 2012 at 08:44 #

Great to hear the cooker’s working and you can get back to producing good things to eat:)

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:31 #

I don´t know what I missed more – cooking or the internet…how sad is that?!

15. trevorhunt September 18, 2012 at 09:33 #

The mushrooms look great. There are some fields above us that look like they may well provide us with some tasty field mushrooms in the coming weeks. I love the Autumn and being able to cook homely foods again! Cracking day here hope you are able to get out and about. Don’t work too hard!

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:32 #

That sounds good – hope you do indeed find some mushrooms. Beautiful day here too – lunch in the garden (even if it is only a sandwich) I think today!

16. ChgoJohn September 18, 2012 at 16:04 #

This is my kind of dinner, Tanya! Steak with mushrooms. YUM! Your photo of the mushroom cap with the melted cheese has me thinking that I need to get to a grocery store. Yes, there’s a great deal of work needed in kitchen no.2 but I’ve seen what you did with kitchen no. 1. No. 2 will look great once you’ve worked your magic. Guaranteed.

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 17:18 #

I´m really looking forward to kitchen no 2 – it will have space for a table, which is much nicer and we´ve learned so much from no 1! Go on now, get down to that grocery store 🙂

17. Tandy September 18, 2012 at 16:34 #

Yum! I keep meaning to tell you that your header reminds me of coconut 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 17:18 #

I love that association – I know exactly what you mean!

18. peasepudding September 18, 2012 at 23:36 #

Funny how we crave food from other places! I do love stilton too but you need a small mortgage to get it here. Good luck with the renovation, the photo is a bit scary.

• Chica Andaluza September 19, 2012 at 10:55 #

Yes, in Spain we can´t get it often and then the Price is more frightening than the photo of the kitchen 😉

19. Calico Stretch September 19, 2012 at 01:18 #

Oh my ….. for the mushroom and the work required for house #2!

20. narf77 September 19, 2012 at 10:58 #

Turn that frown upside down girl! Think words like “Steampunk”‘; “retro” and “old school” with regards to that bathroom (in other words, think like a real estate agent ;)). Stuffed mushrooms look delicious 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 20, 2012 at 09:19 #

Aha – a mindset change…you´re right! Smiley face 🙂

• narf77 September 20, 2012 at 11:10 #

😉

21. Bluejellybeans September 20, 2012 at 09:31 #

¡Me encanta! Una receta sencilla pero muy rica, mi preferida 🙂 Muchos ánimos con house number dos 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 21, 2012 at 12:09 #

Gracias Giovanna – todo va muy bien, pero vamos a pasar una semana en españa la semana que viene, lo necesitamos!

22. Charles September 20, 2012 at 12:31 #

Life’s never too short to stuff a mushroom! I have to say – stilton is a flavour I never really “grew in to”, but I love it when it’s cooked – with mushrooms is a fantastic way of serving it – the flavours complement each other very well.

• Chica Andaluza September 21, 2012 at 11:32 #

It´s funny how our tastes change too over time – but I agree, stilton is quite an acquired taste because it´s so “pungent”!

23. Karen September 21, 2012 at 01:36 #

Stilton, mushrooms and cheese, now that is a delicious dinner. I hope you aren’t getting spoiled with all the ingredients that are now readily available to you. Are you going to keep the fireplace in the kitchen. We have one in our New Hampshire house. It is the favorite spot for all our visitors to sit in front of while we cook for them.

• Chica Andaluza September 21, 2012 at 11:35 #

We´re currently trying to work out how to configure the kitchen, sadly as the house in a town, there´s not much call for open fires 😦 If I were to be living here though…I´d have turned it into a feature!

24. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) September 22, 2012 at 15:49 #

Stuffed mushrooms are always welcome in our home. Wonderful stuffing.

25. segmation September 22, 2012 at 18:27 #

Looks so good and colorful. I will have to try this out! Thanks for sharing. http://www.segmation.wordpress.com

26. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise September 22, 2012 at 21:51 #

Ok..house no 2 is just scary! but I can’t wait to see what it looks like after you work your magic on it 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 23, 2012 at 10:31 #

It is scary and each day right now it looks worse… I know it will look better eventually though!

27. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 23, 2012 at 05:46 #

Eek is right!! You are a brave pair but you do an amazing job! I love stuffed mushroom caps.. I tried to make some stuffed portobello this summer.. but after cooking they went flat as a pancake and lost their shape. Maybe I didn’t have a hot enough oven?? Yours look scrumptious.. as always:) xx

• Chica Andaluza September 23, 2012 at 10:35 #

It´s a fine line with mushrooms – too little cooking and they stay hard, too much and they collapse. Try drizzling a little oil or wine into the cap before you stuff it – that extra moisture can help soften it quickly so that it cooks without collapsing!

• Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 23, 2012 at 15:22 #

Thanks! I’m going to try them again I think.. I also wondered about removing the black “gills”, maybe I shouldn’t have..

28. Our Growing Paynes September 26, 2012 at 18:02 #

I love stuffing mushrooms. I’ll have to add this to the list. Looks delicious.

• Chica Andaluza September 27, 2012 at 10:11 #

Glad you like it and welcome to the blog – thanks for subscribing, hope you continue to enjoy!

29. aida tour February 6, 2017 at 08:10 #

thanks for sharing.. visit us on http://www.aidatour.co.id