Chicken, Chive & Sweetcorn Fritters

18 May

Don´t Burn Yourself!

Having spent the day rushing around and generally being a busy bee, I wanted something quick and easy for a light supper.  Leftovers from a chargrilled chicken dish made the night before included most of a chicken breast, so I decided to make some fritters and serve them with a big mixed salad.

Here in Andalucía they often make fritters with salt cod (which has been soaked and desalted) and serve them with Molasses (or sugar cane honey as it´s called here) drizzled over. When I was first introduced to this concept, I wasn´t sure it was going to be for me.  The idea of sweet and salty mixed together seemed strange, but then I thought about how in the UK we often eat meats with fruit sauces (pork with apple sauce, turkey with cranberry) and realised that it wasn´t such a weird idea.  I´m so glad I did give it a go as it´s a fantastic combination and works really well with these fritters.

Beautiful Jar of Miel de Caña

If you just can´t face the thought of Molasses though, a sweet chilli dipping sauce or mayonnaise also tastes great with these little fritters.

Ingredients used (which are approximate) made 14 fritters.

• 1 x 150g sweetcorn which I blended to make creamed corn (we can´t get it here)
  • Half a large or one small chicken breast, grilled and then finely chopped
  • 4 heaped tablespoons of self raising (or cake) flour
  • About half the empty can full of milk
  • 2 tablespoons of finely chopped chives
  • 1 egg
  • Seasoning
  • Oil for frying (I used olive oil)

In a bowl add the flour and egg to the sweetcorn and mix well. Gradually add the milk until you get a paste the consistency of a thick porridge. You may not use all the milk, or you may need a little more, it will depend on your flour.  Add the chicken and chives and season to taste.

Heat your oil in a deep frying pan and when ready, drop heaped tablespoons of the mixture in, flattening them out slightly with the back of the spoon.

Each side will take about a minute to cook, remove, drain and serve.  And if you´re feeling Spanish, you can call them Tortillitas de Pollo, Cebollina y Maiz. Olé!

8 Responses to “Chicken, Chive & Sweetcorn Fritters”

1. thecompletecookbook May 18, 2011 at 11:13 #

What a brilliant recipe – I haven’t thought to put chicken in sweetcorn fritters before – I love the idea. I can imagine the great flavour.
    There were quite a few new flavours that we tried and liked when we go to the island too.

• chicaandaluza May 18, 2011 at 14:33 #

It´s kind of the fritter version of Chicken and Sweetcorn soup! Well…not really, but it works well.

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 18, 2011 at 13:58 #

Those look amazing and I’m really enjoying your insights into what for me is another world!

• chicaandaluza May 18, 2011 at 14:35 #

It really is another world – perhaps even to Spaniards who live in cities. My other half came home with a 12kg kid two nights ago which we had to carve up and put in the freezer…gives a whole new meaning to asking someone to pop out and get a few chops for the bbq!

3. gabroune May 20, 2011 at 15:46 #

Wow, those sound and look delicious! I may just have to try them soon!

• chicaandaluza May 20, 2011 at 16:16 #

Glad you liked them and thanks for stopping by to look at and subscribe to my blog. I do hope you continue to enjoy. Am just popping over to look at yours again now! My other half is from the province of Granada, so we´ve been lucky enough to visit the Alhambra many times. It never ceases to amaze me with its beauty.

• gabroune May 21, 2011 at 09:15 #

Your blog is really interesting, I enjoy looking around. Thanks for having a look at my blog, too. I hope to visit the Alhambra myself one day. You’re really lucky.