Oh My – Chicken Pie!

2 Dec

On my recent trip to London I spent plenty of time talking to my mum.  As a fellow cook and foodie herself, we talked quite a lot about food. As you do.  She mentioned that she really enjoys making and eating pies, but that my dad is not so keen on them.  When she asked me what Big Man´s view was (you can tell can´t you that this was a deep and meaningful conversation) I realised that I had never made him a savoury pie.

Of course, once I was home, I couldn´t get the thought of a chicken, mushroom and bacon pie out of my head.  The rain came down, the fog closed in, the tiny hole in the roof that we think we´ve fixed each year started its relentless drip, drip, dripping.  It was time to make that pie.

I´d bought two old fashioned pudding basins in a junk an antique shop in Lewes, a beautiful town where a friend of mine is hoping to move.  As I´d managed to get them home without breaking them, I needed to road test them.

Making a pie is a straightforward business if you´re using ready made puff pastry – which was the case for me. If you´re making your own pastry (flaky or shortcrust), it´s not all that much extra work, just a little waiting time while it rests in the fridge.

To make two hearty pies I used

• 2 small chicken breasts, cubed
  • About 4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into small cubes (or use lardons or pancetta)
  • 6 mushrooms thinly sliced
  • 2 cups of chicken broth (or you can use a mixture of milk and water)
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • Seasoning
  • Puff pastry
  • One beaten egg

Put the chicken into the flour which you will have seasoned and toss it around.  Heat the oil in a deep frying pan remove the chicken from the flour and seal it.  Don´t throw the flour left in the bowl away.  Now add the bacon and mushrooms and cook on a medium heat until the mushrooms have softened.

Add the remaining flour to the pan and stir with a wooden spoon to slightly cook the flour and then gradually add the stock whilst stirring to prevent lumps forming.  Once the liquid has all been added, turn up the heat and let it bubble gently until it reaches the consistency of pouring custard.

Put the mixture into a pie dish or small oven proof dishes if you want to do individual portions. Lay the puff pastry over the top, trim if necessary and cut a couple of small slits in the top to let the steam escape. Brush with the beaten egg and bake in a medium over (about 180º C) for about 25 mins or until the pastry is golden brown and risen.

Delicious served with baked or mashed potatoes and vegetables.  I made runner beans in garlic and tomato, we drank wine and watched the rain dripping down the windows.  Big Man voted the pie a big hit, and now wants to know if I can make him a beef one. I think we can safely say that we have another pie eating convert in the family.

For an idea of what to do with any leftover puff pastry, check out this tasty recipe.

52 Responses to “Oh My – Chicken Pie!”

1. Mad Dog December 2, 2011 at 00:28 #

That sounds like a really good one – you’ll have Big Man watching the Hairy Bikers next and he’ll want pies every day 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:46 #

Wish we had that programme here 😦 Will have to get the book!

2. tedgriffith December 2, 2011 at 00:36 #

This appears very similar to what we call pot pies, which I love! Your’s looks so warm and delicious! In ours, we add small cubed carrots, peas and a little onion.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:47 #

Carrots, peas and onion sound wonderful in a pie….bring it on!!

3. Rachel December 2, 2011 at 01:27 #

“Pie” looks great as does the now *look* for the blog – sweet!

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 2, 2011 at 01:39 #

You’re all blue. Look at your new hue! This pie looks fantastic, such a great comforting dish.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:48 #

I´m all blue in a happy kind of way! Pie is indeed like a big hug from someone dressed in a duvet 🙂

5. ceciliag December 2, 2011 at 02:07 #

Aha, you and your friends have solved a puzzle for me, a pot pie is in a pot with the pastry on the top.. hmm, I have never made a pie like that before. how easy and clever.. I just made chicken pies too but they are mini’s, I will put them out next week! yours looks hot and creamy and yum.. c

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:49 #

I suppose it is – never thought about it! But yes, normally a pie is made in a pie dish so it´s just a pie then (I think) 🙂

6. sportsglutton December 2, 2011 at 03:41 #

Oh my indeed. That crust looks like flaky deliciousness.

7. cookinginsens December 2, 2011 at 05:28 #

Love the bowl!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:50 #

Thank you – I´d been wanting some of these for ages. They remind me of my grandmother!

8. thecompletecookbook December 2, 2011 at 07:15 #

Aah yes, the comfort of a chicken pie – Pete would want chips with it though. Actually he wants chips with every meal. 😉 I love your little pots that you procured. I need to walk through some “antique” shops, they always hold such wonderful treasures.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:51 #

Pie and chips is a classic – think I was pretending to be “good” so didn´t make them that day!

9. JamieAnne December 2, 2011 at 07:39 #

Looks amazing!!!

10. Tandy December 2, 2011 at 09:08 #

those bowls are stunning! And I am glad he liked the pie – beef, mushrooms and guiness sounds good to me!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:53 #

Glad you like the bowls, I´m really pleased with them. And beef, mushroom and guiness pie is a wonderful combination. Haven´t had it for ages…time to sort that out!

11. Food,Photography & France December 2, 2011 at 09:31 #

Very good looking English pies. I like lining the bottom of the pie dish too – heavy cholesterol but delicious.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:53 #

Oh yes, lining them is a good thing. And how about suet puddings?!

12. chaiselongue1 December 2, 2011 at 09:59 #

Lovely dishes and lovely pies – I’m not surprised you’ve converted Big Man to the idea! A great way to watch the rain.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:54 #

My dishes have been as big a hit as the pies! Good food makes bad weather more bearable I always think 🙂

13. spicegirlfla December 2, 2011 at 14:59 #

I love finding old special dishes in antique stores! Especially those that I will use! No point in buying to simply display! Using the puff pastry is definitely quick and easy…nice comforting pie!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:55 #

I have to confess to never (ever) having made my own puff pastry…maybe one day. And I love special dishes too – would love to have the space (and money) for a complete “Victorian Kitchen”!

14. ChgoJohn December 2, 2011 at 15:28 #

I am very familiar with the type of antique stores you frequent. “One man’s junk … ” and all. A good pot pie makes for such a great meal. I’ve never made one for myself, always bought the ready-made. Now though, thanks to you, Tanya. I’ll make one and use the left-over puff pastry as you suggested in your “tasty recipe.” Double yum!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:56 #

It was so easy to do and easy to adapt to one or four people…mind you, I could eat a four person pie on my own without breaking into a sweat! And I love junk shops…you just never know what you´ll find.

15. Karen December 2, 2011 at 16:18 #

I do love chicken pie…how could Big Man not like anything you cook.

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:57 #

Well…we have had a few dishes which have been …erm…less than successful. Perhaps best not to go into detail here!

16. gardenfreshtomatoes December 2, 2011 at 17:49 #

That looks wonderful…
    I’m a junk-store fiend, too, by the way. Love those pots!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2011 at 19:58 #

Thank you! We don´t have too many junk stores in Spain so I tend to go on the rampage through them in the UK when I get the chance!

17. Sissi December 2, 2011 at 23:11 #

I make lots of savoury tarts and quiches “à la française”, i.e. flat and with the puff pastry bottom and sometimes also covered with pastry. I have promised myself to make a British-style pie, only with a crust lid and yours looks tempting and exactly like what I could start with: easy, with the ingredients I love and most of all scrumptious!
    The only thing I need is the shallow pie dish or dishes. Poor me 😉 Seriously, I hope I can buy these in Switzerland or nearby France. (I’m thrilled at the idea of every new kitchen buy!).

• Chica Andaluza December 3, 2011 at 09:21 #

Like you, I love the idea of something new for my kitchen! But pies with just a “lid” can be made in quite a few things – either a shallow oven proof bowl, or something taller and depper – even an empty baked bean can! Do hope you give it a go, let us know!

18. Bluejellybeans December 2, 2011 at 23:28 #

Very nice recipe, Tanya!
    Parece fácil de hacer, así que seguro que muy pronto estaremos comiendolo en casa.
    Muchas gracias por compartirla.

• Chica Andaluza December 3, 2011 at 09:22 #

Como casi todo lo que hago – es muy fácil! Buen provecho!

19. Caroline December 3, 2011 at 00:42 #

Mmmm I love chicken pot pie! It makes me think of my grandma, because she makes a mean chicken pie. 🙂 The golden crust looks fabulous. x

• Chica Andaluza December 3, 2011 at 09:22 #

I think food like this is very “nostalgic” isn´t it! Thanks for your lovely words Caroline.

20. TheDorsetFinca December 3, 2011 at 06:35 #

Chicken pie – my absolute favourite!!!! Plus – loving the new look! Very smart!!!!

• Chica Andaluza December 3, 2011 at 09:23 #

Thank you for your kind words about the “new look” – I am Getting used to it now! Chicken pie is such comfort food isn´t it?!

21. Lauren (Spanish Sabores) December 3, 2011 at 18:48 #

This sounds great! I’ve never used bacon or mushrooms in my Chicken Pot Pie but I’m going to try this tomorrow!

• Chica Andaluza December 4, 2011 at 10:18 #

Oh it´s a marriage of flavours made in heaven! Ok, perhaps a slight exaggeration, but they do taste great together 🙂

22. thefooddoctor December 3, 2011 at 20:21 #

I love the new look and header 🙂
    I’m pie lover too but I still have to convert my husband

• Chica Andaluza December 4, 2011 at 10:19 #

Isn´t it funny how we all have such different likes and dislikes! Glad you like the new look …

23. katyarich December 5, 2011 at 21:51 #

Hola, from Valencia, sure we share same interests, feel weeks ago I went for a walk with my husband but couldn’t find any mushrooms, congratulations!!!
    And I also love make pies…like your recipe.. Saludos katya

• Chica Andaluza December 6, 2011 at 09:29 #

Hola in Valencia! Yes, we were lucky to find them…especially as we set out so late in the morning. Thanks for visiting and commenting Katya, un saludo, Tanya

24. PendleStitches December 6, 2011 at 21:31 #

Oh my indeed. I’ve been very remiss on the pie front recently. Perhaps over the holiday season I can rectify that. I have some venison in the freezer…….

25. cooking courses December 12, 2011 at 05:28 #

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my web site =). We will have a hyperlink change contract among us

26. Michi December 22, 2011 at 13:54 #

Bookmarking and making! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 22, 2011 at 14:57 #

You have really been doing a big catch up! So lovely to have you back 🙂

1. Homepage - December 11, 2011

… [Trackback]…

[…] Read More: chicaandaluza.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/oh-my-chicken-pie/ […]…