Animal Cruelty in the Name of Sport

28 Jun

Ok, so if you don´t live in Europe and/or you are not a football fan you are probably not desperately interested in Euro 2012, the European Football Tournament that reached the first of the semi final stages tonight.

But, indulge me, and feel my pain. Spain won tonight (on penalties, which is not really a proper win in my book, but there you go) and are through to the final. Yes, “we´re” through to the final!!!

And in celebration, Alfi wholeheartedly joined in the celebrations. See that look of joy on his face? Ok, it´s submission knowing that he´ll get a biscuit.

The pain comes from the Italy-Germany match tomorrow night. I have a Spanish Big Man and an Italian Father and Passport. What happens if/when Italy win and it´s an Italy Spain final on Sunday? Feel my pain and tell me…do I wear my Spain shirt or my Italy shirt?!

52 Responses to “Animal Cruelty in the Name of Sport”

1. andylmoore June 28, 2012 at 00:48 #

I have the same problem with England and Australia.
    My view: keep an open mind and whoever is winning at half time is the shirt you wear.

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 00:51 #

Or maybe sew half of one shirt to half of another and keep switching it round?!

• andylmoore June 28, 2012 at 00:53 #

the old slapstick comedy sketch!

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 00:55 #

That´s the one!

• PendleStitches June 29, 2012 at 11:42 #

I was going to suggest that. You have time to whip the sewing machine out.

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 14:07 #

One of the English ladies did that a few years ago in an England Spain Match!

• PendleStitches June 29, 2012 at 14:20 #

That’s hilarious!

2. Mad Dog June 28, 2012 at 01:03 #

Oh dear oh dear – I’m immune – I hate sport 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:05 #

Probably better off not getting involved…it´s hard to ignore here!

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 28, 2012 at 01:56 #

Oh yeah, that dog looks so wounded. Ha, anything for a biscuit!

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:05 #

He´s such a fame hungry pup, he´ll do anything for food!

4. ChgoJohn June 28, 2012 at 04:29 #

No matter what shirt you wear, have an ample supply of wine nearby. Should someone take offense, pour a glass and “discuss” the matter. Still upset? Refill the glass, and so on. Your shirt will soon be forgotten.
    Of course, you could just wear Italy’s shirt. You know you want to. 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:06 #

I like your plan…in fact…I shall put it into action soon!

5. rutheh June 28, 2012 at 06:09 #

Oh my. Sounds tense. I am with Chicago John and the wine.

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:06 #

He´s a wise man!

• ChgoJohn June 29, 2012 at 09:00 #

FORZA ITALIA !!!!

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 09:08 #

I agree..my parents travel to Italy on Sunday for a holiday and my mum said the first thing he packed was his Italian flag!

6. themateriallady June 28, 2012 at 09:48 #

While I agree on the wine suggestion I’m afraid I make myself scarce – sewing or reading a book. The football I could cope with. The commentators I would like to have rounded up and made mute.
    And please, give Alfi a big hug from me. He is gorgeous!

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:07 #

If you think British commentators are annoying you should hear the Spanish ones….dreadful! Alfi loved his hug by the way 🙂

7. ambrosiana June 28, 2012 at 10:06 #

I wish Italy wins tonight but it will be hard since Germany has had two days more rest than the Italian team. However, if Italy wins (let’s cross our fingers!!) wear both shirts: first half of the match wear the Spain shirt; during the second half, wear Italy’s.

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:07 #

I´m with you on hoping for an Italy win, I think my dad has the Italian flag hanging out of the window of his house in London! Fingers crossed 🙂

8. idiosyncratic eye June 28, 2012 at 10:58 #

Wear neither, go for congratulating good play and sportmanship on either side. 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2012 at 12:08 #

Now those are wise words indeed. We hot headed Mediterraneans do sometimes play “dirty”…not good 😦

9. narf77 June 28, 2012 at 13:09 #

Wear them both and pretend that you forgot you put the losing jumper on…

10. Caroline June 28, 2012 at 18:11 #

Make one of those half and half jerseys, so Spain on one side and Italy on the other. I remember seeing a girl wearing one on tv–she had a boyfriend on one team and a brother on the other. But that seems like a lot of effort on your end…hahah. May the best team win. 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 01:15 #

I´ve seen those too…I think now that Italy are through I´ll just have to be neutral!

11. Just A Smidgen June 28, 2012 at 18:16 #

Hahaha.. your dog is such a sweetie.. I agree with your idea, sew two shorts together down the middle.. but of course, the argument will be over which one is over your heart;)

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 01:16 #

Hadn´t thought of that! Mind you, if this is the greatest of my problems, then my problems in life are few 🙂

• Just A Smidgen June 29, 2012 at 03:46 #

Oh.. I thought that’s what you meant in your post. Yes.. these are my favorite sorts of “problems”:)

12. TheDorsetFinca June 28, 2012 at 19:55 #

Oooohhhh… tricky. One for each half? x

13. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) June 28, 2012 at 23:16 #

You’re certainly in a pickle now that Italy won. 😉

14. Promenade Claire June 28, 2012 at 23:36 #

What nationality is Alfie 🙂
    I feel your pain – we’ve been watching the matches round our pub, and have just seen the Italian game 🙂 🙂 Looks like Sunday is going to be a interesting day for football.

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 01:19 #

He´s a little Spaniard with a Spanish doggie passport. Maybe I´ll have to stick up for Italy! I´ve told Big Man we´re eating paella AND spaghetti on Sunday 😉

15. DianeT June 29, 2012 at 10:11 #

It’s summer!! What;’s wrong with your birthday suit and a couple of bottles of bubbly?

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 10:34 #

Now that would cause quite a distraction in the village square…!

16. Calico Stretch June 29, 2012 at 11:24 #

I am feeling your pain! Did pour tortured Alfi get his biscuit?

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 14:07 #

Oh yes, Alfi was well rewarded! He´ll soon fit into the top at this rate 😉

17. Val June 29, 2012 at 11:52 #

The safest thing is to wear is a neutral jersey like, say, Ireland for example! Then you can sing Ole, Ole, Ole to your hearts content!
    Italy are on fire!

18. thecompletecookbook June 29, 2012 at 13:37 #

Oh would you look at little Alfi, do give him a scratch behind the ears from me for posing so beautifully for the photograph, even if he was being bribed with a treat…;-)
    Hmm what a tough dilemma – pity you can’t just ignore it and hope that it will go away…

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 14:06 #

Alfi will do anything for food 😉 I think I´m going to be diplomatically neutral and just enjoy the game, the atmosphere and of course the wine and tapas!

19. Charles June 29, 2012 at 15:16 #

lol, not the kind of post I was expecting from the title! Cute little Alfi!!

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2012 at 15:59 #

I don´t think I´d be brave enough to go down the real Animal Cruelty in Spain route…too distressing 😦 Alfi is a great big (little) show off!

20. yummychunklet June 30, 2012 at 02:31 #

That’s a tough one. I’d go with Italy.

• Chica Andaluza June 30, 2012 at 10:12 #

I think I´ve had to decide to be like Switzerland…neutral!

21. Karen June 30, 2012 at 03:30 #

Sew a double sided scarf or hanky that you can wave…no one will know who you are routing for. And whoever wins…you can say you were for them all along. Good luck.

• Chica Andaluza June 30, 2012 at 10:17 #

Now that´s the best idea yet!

• spree July 2, 2012 at 18:06 #

Yes, Karen really gets the fine art of diplomacy! And free-flowing wine and a dog like Alfi and there’s no way you can offend a soul!

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 18:10 #

I think it all went well in the end!