Edwardian Style Standard Lamp

7 Feb

Isn’t it always the same…when you’re looking to buy something you can never find it in quite the right style, shape colour? And then, when you least expect it, something perfect throws itself at your feet?!

Ugly sofa too - don't worry, it's not permament!

Ugly sofa too – don’t worry, it’s not permament!

One of the exciting things about our new project here in Bexhill is that we get to furnish it too! When we set up our home in Spain it was relatively easy as we both already had furniture and we merged, purged and started making new memories. Here we had nothing. Starting from scratch is fun. Not starting anew though as we are both agreed that we like buying second hand, preloved, vintage, antique and car boot bargains. Clearly car boot bargains cost less than antiques, but they give us just as much pleasure. Half the fun is restoring, cleaning, seeing the potential.

Grubby Feet

Grubby Feet

The property is part of what would have been an Edwardian Family “Villa”. This means it was built around 1903, from what we can tell, and whilst we don’t intend to live in the past completely….we need a decent oven, tv and internet for goodness sake…some older touches will also work well.

Dashing around the other day I popped into a local shop which deals with House Clearances. Some of the stuff they have is junk, some is clearly high quality and very much loved (and priced) antique furniture. And some of it falls between the two. I spotted a wrought iron standard lamp with a very ugly pink lampshade. It spoke to me. Really, it did. I could hear a most refined Edwardian Lady reclining in the bay window of her drawing room on a chaise longue saying “Pray, take this lamp stand home. Clean it, love it and it will add some much needed elegance to your home. Oh, and your hair could do with a brush…standards are slipping”.

Clean Feet!

Clean Feet!

So we haggled a little and the bemused owner helped me put it into the car with the back window down so that it would fit and off to House Number 2 I drove where Big Man was impatiently waiting for me to arrive with a bag of masonry nails.

Looking much better now

Looking much better now

It was dingy brown and I had planned to clean it and paint it black and then buy a new lampshade. So I cleaned it and underneath all the grease and grime it was a beautiful cream colour. Then I popped out to the supermarket and was waylaid in another House Clearance shop (I know now where all the good ones are) and found a perfect sized lampshade in a gold colour and once more turned up at House Number 2 with nothing for dinner but an unexpected  bargain that I wore on my head for extra effect.

Dressed to impress

Dressed to impress

Then I rummaged in a bag of goodies given to me my Best Friend’s sister who is downsizing and used to make costumes for shows, curtains, clothes and found some beautiful lace and a strip of beading. Two evenings later it was done and I heard my Edwardian Lady murmur in approval “Beautiful my dear, very elegant indeed. But your hair could still do with a good brush”.

52 Responses to “Edwardian Style Standard Lamp”

1. PendleStitches February 7, 2013 at 13:02 #

Ignore her…I’m sure your hair is fine. What a fabulous find. The trim is the perfect finishing touch!

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 14:35 #

It’s not my usual style – I think I’ve come over all old fashioned! I’ve now found my comb so hopefully she’ll approve 😉

2. narf77 February 7, 2013 at 13:05 #

Messy hair is almost de rigueur when one is renovating my dear! ;). Love the lamp and it looks so “right” with your new home :). Sometimes you just have to roll with something that you find and your lamp cobbled together magnificently! Bravo! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 14:35 #

Messy hair is very much the norm here. In fact, when I did go out one day with tidy hair and a hint of make up, no one recognised me! Am loving my cobbled together lamp 🙂

• narf77 February 7, 2013 at 19:12 #

The end results are very elegant and exactly what you set out to accomplish. A win-win situation! You get the satisfaction of finding a bargain, then you get to customise it and you get the ultimate satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself AND it ended up looking amazing…the ultimate in crafting 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 22:42 #

Exactly and fun too 🙂

3. Food,Photography & France February 7, 2013 at 13:30 #

Excellent lamp. At the moment I am putting together a book, which my sister is writing, on our family history. Would you believe that there is a picture of lamp just like that which my father’s father had made for pleasure. It was black, but otherwise so similar. Synchronicity at work here:)

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 14:37 #

How funny – and how lovely to have had a lamp made. Family history is so fascinating….you’ll have to share some of it with us.

4. 76sanfermo February 7, 2013 at 15:24 #

Espectacular! Me encanta tu lampara!
    Y todavía mas si se acompaña con piezas modernas o un poco agresivas……
    Cuando termines con amueblar tu casa,espero en un Post adecuado….

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 17:01 #

Gracias Giovanna – aunque todavía no tenemos ni cocina ni cuarto de baño lo estoy pasando muy bien pensando en los muebles!

5. Margaret February 7, 2013 at 15:31 #

I love the legs on the lamp! Great find.

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 17:01 #

Thank you – I loved the “leaves”, very pretty and unusual…

6. Tandy February 7, 2013 at 15:42 #

I have two lamps that need lamp shades. …. Just saying. This is beautiful 🙂

7. ChgoJohn February 7, 2013 at 15:47 #

Look at you! Chica Andaluza: Restorer of Houses, Lamps, and (I’m sure) Furniture. Nope that’s not it. I need to work on your title for this one says nothing of your superior skills in the kitchen. I’ll figure it out but, in the meantime, let me applaud the results of your latest project. Your lamp looks great, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 17:03 #

Thanks John – actually am hoping to embark on doing up a kitchen dresser. Well, as soon as I find the right dresser that “speaks” to me 😉

8. themateriallady February 7, 2013 at 16:15 #

Great lamp – and well done with the restoration! My dad used to make decorative wrought iron work in his spare time (when that was I never worked out!) and we had lamps, occasional tables and plant holders aplenty.
    I hope you are able to really enjoy the flat (and lamp) for a very long time. And enjoy making your hair messy!

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 17:11 #

How wonderful that you had beautiful things around the home made by your dad. We are so looking forward to enjoying the flat for many years and sharing it with our loved ones.

9. Mad Dog February 7, 2013 at 17:11 #

That’s a great find 🙂
    North Portobello Road is still good on Fridays, though it’s a bit of a trek from the South Coast.

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 18:25 #

Ooh now there’s a thought but a bit of a hike…tempting though!

10. Bluejellybeans February 7, 2013 at 18:19 #

Magnífica restauración 🙂 ha quedado muy bonita Tanya, ¡eres una artista! 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 18:23 #

Gracias – he disfrutado hacer algo “creativo”!

11. DianeT February 7, 2013 at 19:15 #

“like buying second hand, preloved, vintage, antique and car boot bargains.” Now which ancestor does that trait come from? Except I seemed to have missed out on the “getting things finished” gene. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 22:41 #

I wonder if we did have an ancestor who did this too – probably through necessity from what we know of them! As for finishing off, not sure I can help. I do tend to finish things if I am enjoying them but am terrible for having about 5 projects on the go at once 🙂

12. maggieioannou February 7, 2013 at 22:34 #

Thrilled to see my old lace brought alive

• Chica Andaluza February 7, 2013 at 22:40 #

It didn’t take me long to start using all those lovely things you gave me!

13. Eha February 8, 2013 at 00:47 #

Have been scrolling back and forth and simply cannot find the photo of the beautiful old/new shade atop your head when you arrived home! One was taken surely 🙂 ! Jokes aside – a lovely find!

14. Michelle February 8, 2013 at 03:40 #

Oh, how fun to be able to start furnishing a house “from scratch”!

15. thecompletecookbook February 8, 2013 at 09:19 #

Stunning!
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza February 8, 2013 at 10:10 #

Thanks Mandy, a fun little evening project for me 🙂

16. TBM February 8, 2013 at 09:26 #

All I can say is perfect!

• Chica Andaluza February 8, 2013 at 10:10 #

Ah, thanks! Not my usual taste but am going with what the house tells me!

17. gardenfreshtomatoes February 8, 2013 at 12:52 #

I kinda’ miss the days of rummaging through shops and sales for Treasures. Now days, I go in to look, but there’s no need to bring home more…sigh…
    Love your lamp – and the beaded fringe you put on the shade!

• Chica Andaluza February 8, 2013 at 15:16 #

Ooh I’d missed them too. More from the point of view that in Spain charity shops and second hand shops are a rarity. My dad has tried to ban my mum from going to them as she always comes back with something and their house is bursting at the seams!

18. spree February 8, 2013 at 18:36 #

What fun you are Tanya! I love spotting treasures amongst the dusty clutter of others’ discards. You’ve made yourself something quite fine out of the old lady’s garishly-shaded lamp! Love the touch of the trim – it seems perfect – and the warm glow from that golden shade! And never mind about the hair – it suits you to be free!

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 14:35 #

Thanks Spree – I have certainly been “free” the last few months glamour wise but hey, there’s always summer in the sun for that!

19. Karen February 8, 2013 at 19:14 #

Sounds like the way we furnished our summer cottage in Maine…a little new and a little that needed some TLC. Great job on the lamp.

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 14:42 #

Yes, a good mix of old and modern with a lot of love thrown in!

20. TheDorsetFinca February 10, 2013 at 15:47 #

Hello lovely, I have nominated you for some awards over at my site (I’m sure you have probably been awarded these about 100 times over). Pop on over and have a look if you fancy. x

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 15:00 #

Thank you so much, too kind! And big congratulations to you on being honoured!

21. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen February 10, 2013 at 18:42 #

She’s definitely a beauty and fit for any young lady’s drawing room! I’ve been searching high and low for a pretty floor lamp like this that I can restore for my studio but haven’t had any luck. I’m so happy for you.. lamps like these don’t come around every day!! xx Smidge

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 15:40 #

You’re right Barbara, if you’re looking for a lamp you just can’t find one…this one found me!

22. Rachel February 10, 2013 at 21:37 #

Great lamp, and you *know* I’m all about second hand (even to the extent of dumpster diving (tip diving?)) and the recycle/repurpose/reuse thing! Sweet!

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 15:42 #

Oh yes, dumpsters (skips, we call them, what a funny name) are great for finding treasures!

23. kathryningrid February 11, 2013 at 06:03 #

Why on earth would you need to comb your hair when you have that lovely lampshade you can borrow to cover it at need! xoxo

• Chica Andaluza February 11, 2013 at 15:44 #

My thoughts exactly, glad we are on the same wavelength!

24. idiosyncratic eye February 12, 2013 at 19:57 #

It’s beautiful but what’s funny, to my mind it’s Spanish! 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 13, 2013 at 10:26 #

I know what you mean, I think the wrought iron is a reminder of the Andalucian windows!

25. Rak Sepatu Gantung August 8, 2016 at 02:26 #

Very vintage lamp, i love it and want to have one in my home…

1. Chinese Spiced Aubergines & Cast Iron Excitement | Chica Andaluza - April 6, 2013

[…] what do you think of the fabulous cast iron fire surround some pals gave to us? They of the lace and fabric are now giving us an amazing Victorian original which came out of their home during a […]