Pan Fried Sea Bream with Asian Style Noodles

16 Mar

Is it because it’s Lent, or I’m Down By the Sea, or because Spring keeps teasing me that I am cooking and enjoying lots of gorgeous fish? Who knows, who cares….!

The recipe is more for preparing the noodles than the fish which was simply lightly pan-fried in olive oil and sprinkled in sea salt and then drizzled with a little extra olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. I haven’t given many details for quantities, you know how much you can eat!

Sea Bream & Asian Noodles (3)

Ingredients

• Fresh or dry noodles
  • A mixture of chopped, sliced, slithered veg….I used chopped broccoli, sliced peppers, finely chopped spinach leaves and thin slithers of carrot (I used my peeler)
  • About a teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 or 3 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
  • Half a teaspoon of Chinese five spice powder
  • A few splashes of fish sauce (go easy, it’s strong)
  • Soy sauce to taste
  • Sesame oil for stir frying
  • A couple of fresh chillies, thinly sliced

This is a three pot cooking session, sorry, but it’s quick! Put the water on for your noodles and heat the oil for the fish in a large frying pan. Now add a little sesame oil (you may want to do half vegetable or sunflower oil as it has a strong taste) in a wok or frying pan.

Using all three of your hands and arms, drop the noodles into the boiling water and cook until almost done. Turn the heat off at this point and give one of your arms a rest. At the same time fry the bream lightly on both sides and stir fry the veg, spice, garlic and ginger for about 4-5 minutes. It all comes together at once.

Sea Bream & Asian Noodles (1)

Drain the noodles and add to the vegetables, adding the fish sauce and soy sauce and stir fry for another minute. Plate the noodles and vegetables up, artistically place your fish on top and sprinkle with chilli if using. Use two hands for your cutlery and your third for drinking wine and dabbing genteelly at your mouth.  Or you could just give yourself a pat on the back.

54 Responses to “Pan Fried Sea Bream with Asian Style Noodles”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 16, 2013 at 15:26 #

Beautiful dish.

2. themateriallady March 16, 2013 at 15:31 #

An extra hand certainly is useful sometimes!

3. cookinginsens March 16, 2013 at 16:24 #

Exceptional, luscious and way good!

4. chaiselongue1 March 16, 2013 at 16:37 #

That looks wonderful. I love the contrast of the red and green vegetables making the whole dish look bright and fresh!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:17 #

Thank you, really enjoyed making this as well as eating it!

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 16, 2013 at 16:53 #

Oh how I would dearly love to be able to get fish this fresh. What a terrific preparation, Tanya! I love these flavors and am so intrigued with the use of the five spice with fish…something I’ve not tried yet, and I love five spice!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:18 #

The fish here is so good, and the fishmonger prepares it beautifully!

6. Mad Dog March 16, 2013 at 17:35 #

That looks like excellent bream – I can imagine how delicious it was with the noodles 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:19 #

I am having a real “thing” right now for bream, can’t get it where we are in Spain.

7. Promenade Claire March 16, 2013 at 17:41 #

I’ll have a portion please don’t worry about measuring it out 🙂

8. restlessjo March 16, 2013 at 18:34 #

It looks very delicious! I THINK I’m coordinated enough to cook it.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:19 #

I’m sure you are, and even if it doesn’t all quite come together at the same time…well, it doesn’t matter!

9. narf77 March 16, 2013 at 18:55 #

We Aussies are raised on Asian influences and seafood and this looks more like Sunday tea than a pat on the back but the rest of the world is slowly coming around ;). I haven’t had noodles in ages and I am starting to get a hankering for them, especially after seeing those glistening beauties above. I adore sesame oil and douse my homemade spring rolls in it and really can’t understand why anyone would call it “strong” but I adore broad beans, Brussels sprouts and vegemite so I guess my tastebuds might be a little eccentric 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:20 #

I love strong flavours too, but I think using all sesame oil (for me at least) would overpower the other flavours. Mind you, I smother it afterwards in chili 😉

• narf77 March 18, 2013 at 01:09 #

Horses for courses I guess and this shire horse LOVES her sesame oil 😉

10. spree March 16, 2013 at 19:05 #

Tanya, this looks scrumptious! What a wonderful mix of ingredients, bright, flavorful, textured, aromatic, yum-ness!

11. Calico Stretch March 16, 2013 at 22:11 #

YUM! I will have to reserve my fourth arm for pouing the wine and its hand for holding the glass.

I think I’ll have to dig out the noodles again soon.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:22 #

You see, you know how to make this co-ordination thing work!

12. 76sanfermo March 16, 2013 at 22:17 #

Sei troppo simpatica , e la tua ricetta e’ yummy!
    Ciao Chica ,grazie mille!

13. Eha March 17, 2013 at 00:37 #

Well narff77 has already stated half my case: would you believe fish and stirfried noodles prepared very similarly to this are already on the menu for today’s lunch 🙂 ! I do variations on the theme at least 2-3 times a week. I AM very, very careful with sesame oil on the other hand – 1/2 – 1 tsp is plenty and I always use it as a final dressing, usually stirfrying with rice bran oil or a basic olive oil spray! Zucchini and sugar pea pods also go nicely with it as does a little oyster sauce . . . yum 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:23 #

I loved the food when I was travelling and could eat Asian flavours for breakfast lunch and dinner. Well, I did most of the time actually! And now I fancy congee for breakfast 🙂

14. gardenfreshtomatoes March 17, 2013 at 02:26 #

Oh, that sounds good! No one needs a REASON to eat good fish, other than having it availible!
    Bream isn’t one we get in the States, but any trout, snapper, or even tilapia would work here…

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:24 #

We don’t get this in Spain (where we are at least) but the treatment would be great with any fish, I agree!

15. Barb Bamber (@justasmidgen1) March 17, 2013 at 04:28 #

I love that you can have this all prepped and then ready in just minutes.. I’d be applauding you.. with both hands:D xx

16. Tandy March 17, 2013 at 05:49 #

I think the sea bream needs these strong flavours! Sounds delicious 🙂

17. ChgoJohn March 17, 2013 at 05:58 #

Way to go, Tanya! This dish looks fantastic! I think what really makes this dish is that both the fish fillet and the pasta could do very well on their own. Put them together, though, and the sum is definitely better than the parts. I’m should be heading to bed and you’ve got me thinking about fish & pasta. Thank you. 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:25 #

I agree, the noodles/pasta would be a fabulous dish on their own….hope you had sweet dreams!

18. Food,Photography & France March 17, 2013 at 08:32 #

Wonderful, healthy and light food. Sea bream is a really good choice and I’ve never thought of pairing simple pan fried fish with exotic noodles. Nice one.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2013 at 23:26 #

It worked well and I usually don’t mess around too much with fresh fish as it tastes so good as it is.

19. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy March 17, 2013 at 21:57 #

Tanya this is absolutely beautiful, especially with Lent coming on! Shring on Hot, Cheap & Easy FB page!

20. TBM March 18, 2013 at 11:17 #

That looks good. We are having fish all this week I think. But not sure what kind. The Better Half is the cook in our family.

21. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise March 19, 2013 at 09:08 #

My husband loves bream and my daughter loves noodles! this is the perfect combination! I can’t wait to try this Tanya

22. cecilia March 19, 2013 at 20:15 #

well, except for the three pots this is just about perfect! I am in the mood for fresh veges.. roll on summer! c

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2013 at 22:57 #

I know, I’m sorry – but most of my recipes are one pot!

23. Purely.. Kay March 20, 2013 at 15:17 #

That fish, those noodles, this is simply a wonderful dish to eat on date night or simply any night. Delish.

24. kathryningrid March 20, 2013 at 18:51 #

I’ll just pat *you* on the back, for now! Another tasty dish. 😀

• Chica Andaluza March 22, 2013 at 14:11 #

Ooh thanks, that means I can take a slurp of wine with my spare hand!

25. Karen March 22, 2013 at 01:36 #

My kind of dish…fresh fish and savory noodles.

26. dedy oktavianus pardede March 22, 2013 at 18:48 #