Stir Fried Beef with Ginger

4 Jul

A recent discovery is that our local “Big” supermarket sells packs of thin beef steaks. Ok, it may not be a patch on what we can get in England, but for dishes that require quick cooking, it’s tender and surprisingly tasty.

You may recall I recently made the “acquaintance” of Mr Gok Wan and his cooking and his book travelled back with me to Spain. Sudden temperature highs of around 30 degrees mean it’s time for food that is quickly prepared and cooked.

Stir Fried Beef with Gnger (3)

I served this beautifully fragrant beef dish with pak choi (or bok choy), but more of that another day. If you invest a few minutes (or ten) in getting everything ready, the cooking is quick and ready to serve in just a few minutes. I had to make some adaptations, as ever, and Big Man asked if this was “Cocina Ibero-Chino” (Spanish-Chinese Cooking). I am sure that if had used sesame oil and carrot (which were the things I had to substitute) it would have been even more delicious, but as we didn’t have a scrap left over, I think it was a success!

To serve 2

• About 4 tablespoons of cornflour
  • Salt and pepper (the recipe calls for white, I used black
  • About 300g steak (the recipe calls for sirloin, I think mine is called “flash fry)
  • Oil for frying (original recipe says groundnut, I used olive oil)
  • 4cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 3 spring onions, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot peeled and cut into matchsticks (I used a small courgette)
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1-2 teaspoons rice or cider vinegar

Coat the meat strips in the cornflour and seasoning and fry in a hot wok or frying pan until browned. I did this in batches. Remove and place on kitchen paper.

Wipe the pan and add a little more oil then add the ginger, garlic, spring onions and carrot. Fry on high for a minute or two until the edges of the onions start to brown a little. Add the soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, vinegar, a pinch of pepper and about 3 tablespoons of water and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Taste and adjust the flavours to your liking (I added a little more vinegar as I found it quite sweet).

Add the beef into the pan and gently mix into the sauce. Remove from the heat and (optional) garnish with chili flakes.

A beautiful dish, aromatic and quick to prepare.

For another beautiful Chinese Beef dish, check out Mandy’s Shanghai Steak over at The Complete Cookbook.

49 Responses to “Stir Fried Beef with Ginger”

1. TBM July 4, 2013 at 16:12 #

My mouth is watering. This has always been one of my favorite meals.

• Chica Andaluza July 4, 2013 at 17:14 #

A bit like a healthy version of crispy shredded beef!

• TBM July 5, 2013 at 10:41 #

Shhh, don’t say the H word.

• Chica Andaluza July 5, 2013 at 13:43 #

Never! I made a mistake using it there 😉

2. Mad Dog July 4, 2013 at 16:15 #

Ha ha – you can’t beat olive oil 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 4, 2013 at 17:15 #

Well, when you’ve got a couple of hundred litres of the stuff and more to be made next winter, you’re not going to go out and buy more 🙂

• Mad Dog July 4, 2013 at 17:45 #

Definitely not!

3. thecompletecookbook July 4, 2013 at 16:22 #

Ooo, you know exactly what I am going to say… SCRUMITY!!! What a fantastic recipe Tanya and thank you so much for thinking of me with the link love, you are a honey.
    Have a lovely day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 4, 2013 at 17:16 #

It was your recipe that got me thinking about this one! Have a great day too x

4. Lois July 4, 2013 at 17:19 #

Yummy yum yum!

5. mrszeg July 4, 2013 at 20:20 #

One word….YUM!

6. narf77 July 4, 2013 at 21:14 #

“Wok ON” girl! 😉

7. Eha July 5, 2013 at 05:23 #

One of my favourites in the stirfry range: lovely and appetizing. All our supermarkets in Australia have readycut ‘stirfry beef’ [and other meat] packets , but I normally buy sirloin strip steaks in bulk trays when on sale [often!], cut and freeze in usable packets and save a heap of money . . . I love to throw a packet of rocket or baby spinach into the pan at the last minute for about 30 seconds for both colour and taste . .

• Chica Andaluza July 5, 2013 at 09:02 #

Ooh I love the idea of the rocket or spinach, always have that around so next time (and there will definitely be a next time) I’ll add some too!

8. Tandy July 5, 2013 at 05:59 #

Sounds delicious, even with your substitutions 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 5, 2013 at 09:03 #

I think the carrot would have looked prettier, with a flash of orange in the bowl, but you make do with what you have!

9. Food,Photography & France July 5, 2013 at 08:09 #

I love these flavours. I used to cook a lot of Chinese food but it’s something I’ve let slip.

• Chica Andaluza July 5, 2013 at 09:09 #

It’s the other way round for me – I rarely cooked Chinese food as I thought it was too complicated but now I’ve realised (as with Indian food) that it can be very tasty withouth a list of ingredients a mile long!

10. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy July 5, 2013 at 11:45 #

mmmmmmmm looks and sounds delicious!!!

11. gardenfreshtomatoes July 5, 2013 at 12:53 #

Fabulous, Tanya! If it’s all gone, I think you have a winner!
    Love that the steak was just called ‘flash-fry’ – could be anything, so long as it’s thin 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 5, 2013 at 13:43 #

It’s like the one they use in France for Steak sandwiches, but you’re right, who knows which bit it is!

12. The Literate Chef July 5, 2013 at 14:51 #

Mmmm! You are right about wok cookery in the summer, and pretty much anything with fresh ginger is good. I would think the courgette (zucchini) to us Yanks, would be superior to carrots.

• Chica Andaluza July 6, 2013 at 10:15 #

Wok cooking is so quick – as long as you’ve got everything prepared…wonderful!

13. cookinginsens July 5, 2013 at 16:48 #

Looks delicious.

14. ChgoJohn July 6, 2013 at 05:35 #

I’ve been experimenting with Asian flavos but have pretty much stuck with pork and chicken. Many’s Shanghai Beef and your recipe here are my chance to break that cycle.The good thing about your recipe is that I have all of the ingredients, which means I use them regularly. I’m less likely to prepare a dish if I’ve no use for the spices other than that one dish. Our temps are due to start rising soon, too. You’re right, Tanya, this will make a quick, tasty meal when it’s too hot to linger at the stove. I need to find me some beef!

• Chica Andaluza July 6, 2013 at 10:20 #

Ooh I can imagine how good your experiments would be – Italo-Chino Cuisine! Was thinking about you last night and wondering if you made the mercy dash mission to save Celi with her passport!

15. Rachel July 6, 2013 at 20:55 #

Hungry NOW!!! Mmmm… looks wonderful! (I can *almost* smell it…)

16. The Seas Of Mintaka July 7, 2013 at 19:18 #

Mmmhh, that looks soooooooo tasty. Wish we had those ingredients so I could make some.

• Chica Andaluza July 7, 2013 at 23:32 #

I had to hunt down the fresh ginger and the other ingredients I bought from the UK – it was worth it!

17. dedy oktavianus pardede July 7, 2013 at 19:56 #

On of my fave asian descent dish,
    btw,i i’ve try to stir fry beef with gari or japanese pickled young ginger,
    it taste preety good too!

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2013 at 15:04 #

Oh yes, I love pickled ginger…thanks for reminding me!

18. Unwind Cooking July 8, 2013 at 20:28 #

I think the only reason I don’t make much Asian dishes is because of all the chopping and cutting. This recipe looks so amazing I’ll have to find pre-sliced stir-fry beef somewhere.

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2013 at 21:47 #

If you get the thin beef it’s also easy to cut up with scissors 🙂

19. Charles July 14, 2013 at 23:34 #

Ah, we also have big trays of those thin steaks sold in France. They’re not much cop to eat “as is”… the cut of meat isn’t that special. The absolute best way of preparing them is something like as you’ve done here. Chop it up into nice batons and then flash fry it. Love beef with ginger too… has such a gorgeous flavour together!

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2013 at 09:22 #

In France there are so many lovely (and different) cuts of meat!

• Charles July 15, 2013 at 11:48 #

Though not as many as in England… well, maybe there are, but I have difficulties getting cuts I want and usually have to settle for something else 😦

20. anyone4curryandotherthings July 15, 2013 at 11:28 #

My lunch for today: this and your Pak choy! Thank you. 🙂 Carina

21. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 11:01 #

I love ur articles. some ur articles make me hungry ^^

22. kaamiliaahijab February 18, 2016 at 14:14 #

good article, hmmm …. surely taste good

23. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 12:25 #

wow, it looks so delicious, really I want to try

1. Pak Choi in Oyster Sauce | Chica Andaluza - July 13, 2013

[…] Staying with the Asian Food theme, I cooked this quick vegetable dish to enjoy with the Ginger Beef. […]

2. Spicy Cucumber Salad | Chica Andaluza - March 20, 2015

[…] I cooked a Chinese inspired meal with lots of different dishes. Some I’ve cooked before, like Stir Fried Beef with Ginger. Alongside the meat and fish dishes, I made a fresh and crunchy salad, inspired by one in my Gok […]