Ravioli Making – Fun on a Hot Summer’s Evening

11 Jul

Some things are more fun when done with pals. Ravioli making is one of them. Just ask Chgo John.  Luckily my lovely neighbour Denise was willing to give up a few hours of her time and we had an evening of ravioli making and eating in the garden.

Ravioli (1)

We made four kinds of fillings.

Ravioli (5)

Potato with caramelised onion and parmesan, mixed mushrooms with spinach and nutmeg, ricotta with lemon zest and coriander and mascarpone with rocket and sun-dried tomatoes.

Ravioli (22)

No quantities except to say we made pasta with 500g of flour and 5 eggs. This made about 70 ravioli (with some leftover dough too), although we didn’t manage to eat them all. We did give it our best shot though!

Ravioli (23)

We were well lubricated with wine as I believe it is actually illegal to make ravioli without a glass or two to hand.

Ravioli (11)

We served some with tomato sauce and others more simply with olive oil and parmesan.

Ravioli (31)

Summer cooking, summer eating. Everything tastes better eaten outdoors on a hot summer’s night don’t you think?!

Ravioli (32)

(I know they’re not the best shots in the world but they were “working” snaps and it got darker and darker as the evening went on – naturally – I hope you enjoy the atmosphere of the evening as much as we did despite this!)

54 Responses to “Ravioli Making – Fun on a Hot Summer’s Evening”

1. Mad Dog July 11, 2013 at 00:05 #

Excellent – it’s most definitely illegal to make ravioli without a glass of wine 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 00:07 #

What are you doing up at this time (oh yes, but you’re an hour earlier)? Too hot to sleep yet here! I think any type of cooking is illegal without wine except maybe breakfast…but then a carajillo or a glass of champagne (depending on the day) is perfectly acceptable 🙂

• Mad Dog July 11, 2013 at 01:15 #

Ha ha – sadly I’m on antibiotics for the week and they warned me I’d be violently ill if I drank 😦
        It’s no big deal, just a minor gum infection 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 08:35 #

Eek – I (almost) feel your pain. Big Man had a molar removed last week and he too had an infection so it’s been scrambled eggs and soft food round here for a while. Hope you feel better soon!

2. Michelle July 11, 2013 at 01:44 #

Bravo! Such fun.

3. annashortcakes July 11, 2013 at 02:44 #

Oh how lovely!! I have never tried homemade ravioli but this is so inspiring….

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 08:36 #

It was good fun and not complicated, just takes a little while but it’s so worth it!

4. Eha July 11, 2013 at 05:09 #

That looked like tasty fun! And loved it that all your four fillings came from the vegetable family: am writing them down to copy! Not that I usually make my own dough with my perennial lack of time, but wonton wrappers sort’of fill the void 🙂 !

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 11, 2013 at 05:21 #

This looks like so much fun and so much fun to eat, too. I just procured a pasta maker and John is encouraging me to use it. I can’t wait to try it out and ravioli is first up on my list. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 08:39 #

Go for It – but it’s definitely easier if you have someone to turn the handle and another to feed the pasta through!

6. TBM July 11, 2013 at 09:26 #

Yes that looks fun making them and even better eating them. I think this is the kind of cooking I need to work on–team cooking.

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 09:31 #

In my family we call it “co-op cooking” – mostly we’re co-operative with each other! Seriously though, if you want to build confidence in the kitchen get a pal who enjoys cooking to work with (as long as it’s not a bossy Gordon Ramsay type person – that’s just scary). Make sure you have plenty of beer or wine to hand and you’ll have fun!

7. Tandy July 11, 2013 at 10:17 #

Sounds like a fun evening 🙂

8. narf77 July 11, 2013 at 12:02 #

It looks like a whole lot of fun to me :). We had a brief fling with ravioli that ended in most of them falling apart in the cooking water and sort of pasta water filled mushy ravioli…we haven’t tried since. What with the great ravioli disaster of 2010 and the gnocchi incedent, it might be best if we stick with the basics 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 12:07 #

It sounds like you and anything related to the pasta family are best kept apart 😦 I guess you can make vegan pasta using just water and a little oil instead of egg though? Maybe one more try….!

• narf77 July 11, 2013 at 12:13 #

I fear I would be like when Mrs Doyles friend left her husband at home alone and he went to make a cup of tea and lost a leg…

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 12:28 #

Go on, go on, go on….

• narf77 July 11, 2013 at 12:35 #

Would you like a fererro Rocher Mrs Chica Andaluza? Are you sure now? 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 13:51 #

🙂 Brilliant! Mind you – I expect some folk have no idea what this conversation is all about!

• narf77 July 11, 2013 at 19:49 #

Then they are plebeian’s and should watch Father Ted IMMEDIATELY! While you are at it you uneducated lot, you are really missing out…go and take the time to watch as many U.K. good sit coms as you can. Get Red Dwarf, (the earlier series) and then get hold of Black Books and thank me later!

9. gardenfreshtomatoes July 11, 2013 at 12:40 #

Now *that’s* my kind of party!
    The grands and I eat lunch outside, but the bugs are too bad to eat out in the evenings…love the thought of you guys and your al fresco raviolis!

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 13:52 #

Luckily we don’t get mosquitos here but sometimes it’s cooler to eat indoors than out!

10. Food,Photography & France July 11, 2013 at 12:55 #

I love those fillings – just delicious. The first picture is a cracker and sets the scene for summer outdoor cooking. Lovely post.

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 13:52 #

I had another shot with the wine bottle in it…but you could see the mess in the garden too, so I left it out!

11. thecompletecookbook July 11, 2013 at 15:02 #

What a fabulous evening. Pity we aren’t neighbours. I could have brought extra wine.
    Have a beautiful afternoon.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2013 at 15:59 #

Extra wine is always welcome – but you would have been the most welcome!

12. 76sanfermo July 11, 2013 at 15:59 #

Very good suggestion!
    Thank you so much!

13. Rachel July 11, 2013 at 19:09 #

My parents used to (many *many* years ago) have blintz making parties with another couple. My dad and the other guy’s wife would make batches of blintzes (like crepes) and my mom and the other husband wold make gallons of ricotta filling. Then they’d roll ’em up and freeze them and the other couple would take half home. Thanks for reminding me!!! I was just a kid (a little kid) back then but I remember… I remember… mmmmmm!!

• Chica Andaluza July 12, 2013 at 21:08 #

Sounds like great fun – and then you all got to enjoy the blintzes…yum!

14. ChgoJohn July 11, 2013 at 23:28 #

Yay, Tanya! Your ravioli look so good! Love the 3 fillings. You’re much more ambitious than we ever were. We make ravioli with one filling all afternoon and freeze most of it. Zia would think me mad if I suggested 2 fillings, let alone 4. You’re so right that it’s better to work with someone. S/he helps to finish the bottle of wine. WIthout that kind of help, the ravioli may never get made! 🙂
    That was very kind of you to mention me, Tanya. Thank you.

• Chica Andaluza July 12, 2013 at 22:47 #

We did go a bit mad with the fillings but we’d talked about having a “session” for a while, so we made it a worthwhile one! The only problem is…we couldn’t decide which one we liked best!

15. Promenade Claire July 14, 2013 at 00:05 #

So how many hands do you have… with a glass or two in hand…. or does that mean you hold two glass in one hand while making ravioli with the other?
    Ok, I’ll get my coat ….
    🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 14, 2013 at 08:30 #

Now Claire, you know that when it comes to eating and drinking we can multi task! Hope all is good with you. Should be over some time after 16th August 🙂

• Promenade Claire July 14, 2013 at 08:34 #

Yaay! Looking forward to catching up with you both 🙂

16. PendleStitches July 14, 2013 at 17:55 #

That just looks like the most perfect evening. 🙂

17. Charles July 14, 2013 at 23:58 #

Ha, I think I could have used some company last time I tried to make ravioli (the last and only time). I got in such a rage with the pasta that the lump of unwieldy dough ended up thrown into the garbage with great force, and the filling I’d made was transformed into a pasta sauce :D.

• Chica Andaluza July 15, 2013 at 09:20 #

Definitely easier when you work as a team on this one!

18. The Seas Of Mintaka July 17, 2013 at 13:46 #

There’s nothing I loooove more than going outside on hot summer evenings! Tried to drag the kids out last night, they were glued to the computer screen and I didn’t succeed. Argh! Modern day kids!

• Chica Andaluza July 18, 2013 at 11:04 #

I guess in a lot of ways we were luckier when we were younger as we were forced to entertain ourselves – imaginary games, playing with pals, out in the garden. And now we have all the wonderful memories!

19. Karen July 18, 2013 at 12:21 #

Cooking with friends is always fun. Love the sound of the fillings you used. I would have loved to have tried one of each.

20. abrooke65 July 23, 2013 at 23:30 #

Lovely! I have a post on homemade ravioli too! It’s so fun and fresh! We have such similar tastes!

21. waterfallsandcaribous July 24, 2013 at 11:56 #

Cooking with my best friends (and my mum!) is one of the things I miss most from back home! There’s nothing like a day spent in the kitchen whipping up all those things you’ve been dying to cook, trying as you go – bliss 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 24, 2013 at 21:18 #

And when you’re away from “home” there are things that you miss cooking that make you feel a bit nostalgic too!

22. salima aqiqah December 14, 2015 at 04:40 #

summer fun … … really is a very sweet moment with loved ones

23. Debby Aripianusari April 23, 2016 at 03:45 #

hmm, yummy 🙂

1. Lemon, Chili and Ricotta Ravioli and Mushroom and Tomato Ravioli | Chica Andaluza - January 24, 2014

[…] previous ravioli making session confirmed that they’re much easier and more fun to make if you work with friends. A recent Sunday […]