Take a walk with me…around Granada

1 Oct

We are very lucky when we are Up the Mountain, to live less than an hour and a half from the amazingly beautiful city of Granada. Home to the stunning Palace of the Alhambra, it’s a city that softly breathes echoes of its mediaeval Moorish past at every corner.

Today I’m going to take you on a little walk from the top of the hill which overlooks the Alhambra, to enjoy the amazing views of the palace from the Mirador (view point) de San Nicolás – probably one of the most photographed views in Granada.

Granada 2013 (2)

If you wind your way slowly down the hill you get back to the town centre, walking through narrow streets.

Granada 2013 (3)

Not many cars here, only residents, the little bus and taxis can enter.

Granada 2013 (4)

Beautiful architecture.

Granada 2013 (5)

Busy squares

Granada 2013 (8)

Restaurants galore…

Granada 2013 (9)

Granada is famed for its tapas – with every drink, something wonderful to taste.

Granada 2013 (10)

Peek through windows.

Granada 2013 (13)

And fortify yourself with coffee and pastries. These little ones are called Piononos, named after a Pope and made in Santa Fé, a town just outside the city of Granada.

Granada 2013 (14)

This past weekend was a huge religious festival with special cakes for “The Virgin” being sold everywhere.

Granada 2013 (16)

A stroll around the centre and a chuckle at the Eco Roundabout!

Granada 2013 (19)

Photos taken on my phone, so not the greatest quality, but when in Granada, you just have to soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the tapas and tea shops, and promise to go back again.

71 Responses to “Take a walk with me…around Granada”

1. pankchophoto October 1, 2013 at 22:51 #

Que bonito!!! Tengo muchísimas ganas de visitar Granada….

• Chica Andaluza October 1, 2013 at 23:14 #

Si tienes la oportunidad un dia – que lo aproveches!

2. That other cook... October 1, 2013 at 22:52 #

Spain is so beautiful and delicious at the same time. I love it every I visit which lucky for me has been a few times! A beautiful guitar piece “recuerdos de la alhambra” probably inspired by the sight you show on this awesome post! I want to eat the picture of the piononos btw 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 1, 2013 at 23:13 #

Recuerdos de la Alhambra is a beautiful piece of music – Granada, sung by Placido Domingo is pretty wonderful too – it’s an amazing city and I feel so very privileged to have been able to visit so many times.

3. andreamynard October 1, 2013 at 22:54 #

Thanks for the lovely wander around Granada. I visited years ago and loved the Alhambra and the tapas, now those tempting pastries and fascinating narrow streets are making me want to visit again.

4. restlessjo October 1, 2013 at 23:50 #

Brought back memories, Tonya. That’s a heavy looking sky 🙂 It was much cooler than I anticipated in April, but undeniably beautiful. I can still picture me down by the river listening to the guitarist.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:36 #

It was a grey old day on Sunday here then it brightened up – it’s now in the high 20s! April can still be chilly in Granada as there is often still snow on the Sierra Nevada and those winds bring the chill down into the city 😦

5. ardysez October 2, 2013 at 00:38 #

We visited Granada and Alhambra several years ago and were charmed by the history, beauty and food. We were there for the Easter processions in the city. Very moving.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:35 #

It is a city with a very special charm. The Easter processions are quite a sight, regardless of religious persuasion (or not), an amazing experience!

6. Mad Dog October 2, 2013 at 02:21 #

Fantastic – I’ve been in Poblenou for half of today, a little old industrial part of Barcelona, with it’s own Rambla which goes down to the sea and quite a lively local bar restaurant scene. Hay mucho marcha!
    I was in an industrial office doing computer stuff this afterrnoon, but had an amazing lunch in Market, which I’ll post in due course 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:39 #

I didn’t realise you were working but glad you got to have a decent lunch – Spain marches on its stomach (or is that “an army”?!) Looking forward to reading about your adventures…

• Mad Dog October 2, 2013 at 18:33 #

We had lunch near the flea market today and were served personally by the no. 1 Catalan chef, who Oli just happens to know!
        The food was amazing.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 18:42 #

I really need to go to lunch with you and Oli!

• Mad Dog October 2, 2013 at 18:45 #

You’d be very welcome 🙂

7. Eha October 2, 2013 at 02:50 #

Thank you for that lovely and unexpected walk ~ and now I can clearly place you when you are ‘up on the mountain’ 🙂 ! I am fortunate to have had quite a few visits to Madrid and Barcelona with surrounding areas, but Andalucia has not worked out: great to see a little part from a personal perspective ~ pity there was no sunshine this time!

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:41 #

Our mountain is not quite as high as the Sierra Nevada – but we are known (or the area at least) as “The Pyrenees of the South”! Maybe one day you’ll get to Andalucía – I’ll be here to show you around!

• Eha October 3, 2013 at 04:34 #

Be very, very careful, beautiful lady ~ one day I may just take you up on that 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 13:30 #

It would be wonderful!

8. Diane Thorn October 2, 2013 at 03:01 #

Ah, the memories. Thanks for sharing all those wonderful photos. Granada is top of my list when I next visit Spain. We rushed through Alhambra with a tour party and I never had time to appreciate the beauty and history of the place. Greg and Juliet will have instructions not to miss this city.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:41 #

It’s so beautiful and every time I go to the Alhambra or to Granada, I see something new. Do hope Greg and Juliet get there – you need a full day pretty much to see The Alhambra!

9. Tandy | Lavender and Lime October 2, 2013 at 06:01 #

Spain is creeping higher up our list of places to visit. Thanks for sharing 🙂

10. Garden Correspondent October 2, 2013 at 06:30 #

This post was like a little vacation – thank you for taking us along with you!

11. thecompletebook October 2, 2013 at 10:02 #

Absolutely beautiful Tanya – I can almost feel the history.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:43 #

Like many old cities, there’s something amazing to see at pretty much every corner!

12. Food,Photography & France October 2, 2013 at 11:41 #

I didn’t realise that you lived as far South…for some reason, I’ve never been to Granada. Loved your little tour.Nice post.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:45 #

Yes, although we’re up a mountain we’re only 40km from the sea (and about 60kms from Malaga), so we are in the heart of Andalucía. We live in Malaga province but are only about 10km from the “frontier” with Granada province if you drive on up through our little mountain range.

13. Cat of Sunshine and Siestas October 2, 2013 at 11:43 #

Granada is the type of city I could visit again and again (and I have!).

14. themateriallady October 2, 2013 at 12:37 #

Your post took me back to our visit to Granada which I enjoyed enormously. I loved the Alhambra palace – it is just so beautiful.Thank you Tanya 🙂
    It is also memorable because we met our next door neighbours in the street! We knew they were staying elsewhere in Spain and we both just happened to be visiting Granada the same day. Bizarre!

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:46 #

What a small world – or as they say here “the world is a handkerchief”! So glad you’ve been to Granada and that I could bring back a few memories for you 🙂

15. Promenade Claire October 2, 2013 at 13:00 #

I could happily peek through windows if I was fortified accordingly. Somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit, so thanks for taking me along 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:46 #

Maybe one day we’ll get you out here for a visit!

16. Josh October 2, 2013 at 13:08 #

Yep, there she is! I love Granada, and I’ve a real fondness for those sticky cakes too! One student of mine regularly brings a box of them into class! She gets good marks.

17. Melissa's Menu October 2, 2013 at 13:21 #

I just told my husband the other day Granada is on my bucket list. Thank you for the sneak peek! It is stunning.

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2013 at 15:34 #

I will have to post more photos soon – The Alhambra, The Albayzin, The City Centre and The Science Park are all very different but all amazing in their own ways!

18. narf77 October 2, 2013 at 20:51 #

So lucky I don’t live in Granada…I don’t think I would fit through one of those wide exotic doors, let alone the wide exotic windows if I had access to those gorgeous little Piononos! Pope hats eh? Are we non catholics allowed to eat them? ;). Bugger. I can’t eat the virgin cakes either! ;). LOVE the idea of the bike powered roundabout! If the kids want a ride, dad just has to get on and peddle! What do you mean “mum?”…sorry…roundabout peddling is a purely dad thing to do! 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 13:33 #

Hee hee, this really made me laugh. Yes, Catholics and non catholics are all most welcome to eat (the same applies to virgins 🙂 ) My camera battery died before could take a photo of another eco roundabout – all the rides on it were made from car tyres. I have to say, the people peddling could have eaten cakes all day and not put on a gram with all the exercise they get 😉

• narf77 October 3, 2013 at 19:24 #

I reckon we should harness all of the “wanker” power that our local cyclists generate uselessly blocking up lanes and upsetting drivers. I think we should skin them (remove that horrible lycra that makes anorexics look fat let alone overweight lawyers and doctors…), re-educate them (“no… you are NOT going to enter and win the tour de France!) and put them to good use benignly satisfying their urge to bring on early heart attacks by pedalling these bikes for a useful purpose. No blocked lanes, no 70 year old lycra clad morons taking up entire cafes and a whole lot of happy kids who can ride endlessly for free! A Win-win situation. Narf7 saves the day AGAIN! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 22:26 #

Yay – although in defence of our local cyclists, I have to say they’re pretty impressive both in their lycra and cycling UP mountains! More eco roundabout though would be good although I’d feel sorry for the poor person who had to pedal if Big Man and Chica got on 😉

• narf77 October 4, 2013 at 05:03 #

Hey you can’t pick and choose you know, you take the free exercise where it comes! My guess is that they wouldn’t notice. Like the 90’s cake song “their going the distance…their going for speed…” the smaller you are the sicker you would get…best you take the big man with you wherever you go to prevent eco roundabout illness 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 5, 2013 at 21:52 #

Tell me about motion sickness – we have just done 2200km, in the car from Malaga to Bexhill (including a slightly bouncy ferry crossing). Left yesterday at 6am and got here a few hours ago. Am drinking wine. Seems to be helping 🙂

• narf77 October 6, 2013 at 02:43 #

I find it best to get a bottle of wine, open the cork (or if you are in a hurry, buy one with a screw top lid, no use being elitist when sickness calls 😉 ) and swill direct from the bottle. It’s amazing how a little (or a lot) of wine can centre you wherever you are in the world… in the middle of Uzbekistan? Dropped from a plane? No idea how to speak the language? Just open a bottle of wine, drink it and suddenly you are one of the locals…if your bottle is big enough, you might even be able to rustle up a variation of the local dialect ;). Wine…the saviour of fools and eejits everywhere 🙂 works just about everywhere in the world apart from those places where they banned wine drinking and you know what? NO-ONE wants to go there anyway! 😉

19. expatchef October 3, 2013 at 09:49 #

I adore Pionono’s!!! Discovered them here in a little Andalusian restaurant by my house, need to stay away from there because I could eat my own weight of those little suckers!!! I have never been to Granada, hopefully will get there soon! Thanks for the mini-tour! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 13:30 #

Me too – I am not a great cake or dessert eater but these just seem to hit the spot 🙂 Hope you get to visit Granada soon!

20. TBM October 3, 2013 at 11:44 #

What a quaint place.

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 13:29 #

It is very charming and different areas of the city are very different!

21. spree October 3, 2013 at 22:29 #

ahhh, all that lovely time in your town, no jet lag, no extra pounds blamed on the torta de la virgen! (thank you, liked that a lot!)

• Chica Andaluza October 3, 2013 at 22:32 #

Well, when you’re walking around while eating cake it cancels out the calories 😉

• spree October 4, 2013 at 18:29 #

Of COURSE! I live for that kind of logic! 😉

22. 76sanfermo October 7, 2013 at 12:13 #

I’m very fond of Granada, which I visited a few yer ago.
    Your post brought me back to this wonderful town!

23. Unwind Cooking October 7, 2013 at 17:54 #

Tapas and wine? Granada is on my list of places I want to visit. To be able to travel again is such a big goal on my list! Thank you for sharing. Your photos look wonderful.

24. Charles October 8, 2013 at 23:16 #

Lovely photos Chica – what a fascinating place… architecture quite unlike anywhere in France or England (or Sweden, to be sure!) – I do rather like the sound of that tapas, I don’t think I’d know where to begin, lol! As you say – best to promise to go back again.

What’s with the “eco-roundabout”? I’m not sure I understand it…

• Chica Andaluza October 9, 2013 at 19:17 #

The architecture of a lot of Andalucia is very Arabic thanks to our heritage of the “Moors” who occupied Spain for hundreds of years/ The Eco roundabouts are al built of recucled materials (wood, tyres) and are all powered by pedal power – no electricity!

25. bitsandbreadcrumbs October 10, 2013 at 17:48 #

What beautiful architecture and great looking food! I love the big door and archways…very Moorish, and I’d love to visit this part of Spain someday. Thanks for sharing this walkabout with us…it was on my birthday, as it happens. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 10, 2013 at 19:24 #

Ah, belated greetings, I’d have had an extra slice of cake if I’d known 😉

26. idiosyncratic eye October 11, 2013 at 12:18 #

I love Granada, I wish I could have spent more time there. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 11, 2013 at 21:40 #

It’s a place you can go back to again and again….

27. mebissa October 24, 2013 at 06:13 #

I’m visiting Spain next year! I’m so excited. have you always lived there?

• Chica Andaluza October 24, 2013 at 19:45 #

No, I moved to Spain almst 9 years ago permanently to be with my partner. We now spend stime travelling between the south coast of England and our home in Andalucia. Do hope you have a wonderful visit to Spain!

• mebissa October 29, 2013 at 04:57 #

That sounds fabulous. Me too!

28. Really enjoyed this walk through! Granada is one of my favorite Spanish cities, I love its charm! Great photos! Giana.

• Chica Andaluza April 7, 2014 at 15:26 #

Glad you liked then Giana – it’s one of our favourites too!