Calamares Rellenos – Stuffed Squid

7 Apr

When you´re away from home, although now we seem to have two homes (and how very lucky and blessed we are to be in this position) there are things that you miss. Of course, the most obvious is loved ones, but with technology, keeping in touch, even face to face phone calls and cheap flights make the distance shorter.

Other things like a special pillow, or a favourite garment which was left behind sometimes make you feel nostalgic. For me though it’s all about the kitchens. If I could combine the contents of both kitchens and magically transport them with me backwards and forwards….but well, that’s just silly. Although I can look up favourite and remembered recipes on the internet, it’s not quite the same as flicking through a well loved cookery book, often late at night propped up in bed with that comfy old pillow.

Calamares Rellenos (1)

Getting back to Spain allowed me to become reacquainted with some old ‘friends’. Most recently it has been Moro, the Cookbook by the husband and wife team, Sam and Sam Clark. Must get confusing in their house when someone rings up.

The first recipe for the moment was inspired by one of theirs for stuffed squid – of course, I made a few changes based on what I had available, here’s my version. This is a fabulous dish for entertaining (although easy to prepare for an everyday meal) as you can prepare it ahead up until the final griddling of the squid, which only takes about 5 minutes.

Calamares Rellenos (6)

To serve four as a main course

• 8 medium squid (no larger than about 30cm) I used to enormous ones to serve 2. These should be cleaned and the tentacles and wings separated from the body
  • 8 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large Spanish onion finely diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I crushed)
  • ½ red pepper finely diced (not in the original recipe)
  • 2 fresh bay leaves (or use dried)
  • 200ml fino sherry (or a dry white wine)
  • 1 large buch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon of hot pimentón (not in original recipe)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Finely chop the squid wings and tentacles (I kept the tentacles whole and cooked them on the side).

Gently fry the onions and peppers (if using) for about 15 minutes until soft and the onion is starting to turn brown. Add the bay, garlic and chopped squid and cook for about 3 minutes then add the seasoning, half the parsley and the fino. Cook for a further couple of minutes until the wine has almost evaporated then remove from the heat. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the chopped egg and most of the rest of the parsley, check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Use this mixture to stuff the squid, securing with a cocktail stick to keep the filling in. When you are ready to eat, heat a griddle pan until it is smoking hot and cook the squid for about 5 minutes, turning to ensure that it is charred all round.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a piece of lemon and the rest of the parsley sprinkled over.

47 Responses to “Calamares Rellenos – Stuffed Squid”

1. I did laugh at the fact their names are Sam and Sam, it brings back memories. My dad’s name was Joe and my mums’s name is Joe, people used to have to refer to them as Joe and Mr. Joe when they rang! Great post, my mouth is watering! Will have to try this one out! Have a great day. Giana.

• Chica Andaluza April 7, 2014 at 15:26 #

How funny! Here in Spain it’s also common to give children the same names as those of their parents…all very confusing 😉

2. Diane Thorn April 7, 2014 at 11:53 #

I’ve never tried squid. I assume I could get it at the local fishmonger. I’ll have to wander down and ask. It looks like something I’d enjoy. Don’t know about hubby though. I was bought up fishing in the sea. He was on a farm with trout and eels in the local river.

• Chica Andaluza April 7, 2014 at 15:26 #

We eat it a lot here, it’s not too expensive. But some folk just don’t like the texture L

3. Karen April 7, 2014 at 12:29 #

Your colorful dish would be a big hit with my husband. His mother used to serve stuffed calamares at Christmas.

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 09:26 #

Ooh I can imagine that Christmas meal being something special!

4. Food,Photography & France April 7, 2014 at 12:36 #

Absolutely wonderful. Squid is such a good thing and is plentiful here, yet I so rarely remember to buy it. Moro is one of my three favourite London restaurants and I love their book. Nice post.

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 09:28 #

And know I want to know what the other two favourite restaurants are….?!

5. themateriallady April 7, 2014 at 12:47 #

Not something I would have thought of cooking for myself – but that looks very tasty and not difficult so I may try. I really enjoy battered squid rings which The Management always refers to as ‘rubber bands’.

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:05 #

Hee hee – some people just don’t get on so well with the texture but as the squid is cooked very quickly at high temperature it’s usually lovely and tender!

6. azaminodays April 7, 2014 at 13:39 #

Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing, will be beyond my abilities to make this, but I have a friend who can and perhaps we can enjoy then. Amazing !

7. Melissa's Menu April 7, 2014 at 14:01 #

One word….YUM

8. frugalfeeding April 7, 2014 at 14:04 #

I’ve heard of this, but have never tried it. I’ll have to keep an eye out. Can’t wait to get back to Spain in May!

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:05 #

Ooh you’ll have to eat plenty of squid ad pulpo and cuttlefish when you’re over!

9. Mad Dog April 7, 2014 at 17:10 #

Delicious – I’ve stuffed them and cooked them in the oven, in sauce before, but not stuffed and girdled 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:06 #

The original recipe sort of braises them in a covered frying pan – these were so good!

10. Rachel April 7, 2014 at 20:11 #

Now *this* makes me happy – anyone can stuff a pepper! Mmmm squid!

11. Amanda April 8, 2014 at 00:03 #

Wow, what a great recipe. I made a version of these in a Basque cooking class that I took last year and it really took some effort, but was so worth it! Yum!

12. Peri's Spice Ladle April 8, 2014 at 00:59 #

Oh, love the flavors going on in this stuffed squid….boiled eggs, pimenton, sherry! And you make it all look so simple:)

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:07 #

It was one of those dishes that looks complicated but is really quite simple to do!

13. Eha April 8, 2014 at 03:09 #

Absolutely terrific recipe for a squid- and cuttlefish lover like me!! Oh, I’ll make this just for me ~ not difficult and fun and can’t wait to try 🙂 !

14. Tandy | Lavender and Lime April 8, 2014 at 06:07 #

I have never made stuffed squid before! Time I give it a go. My pillow travels with me everywhere 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:07 #

I rarely stuff the squid, I just griddle it but this was so good I’ll be making it again!

15. TheDorsetFinca April 8, 2014 at 10:03 #

Another calamare winner. I could just eat some right now – even though it’s breakfast time! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 10:08 #

Well, we eat kedgeree for breakfast (ok, not so often, but it is done!) so this would work too!

16. thecompletebook April 8, 2014 at 15:22 #

Cheap flights – sadly we don’t have anything such here anymore.
    Hmm, reckon I could eat what you made for two all my my piggy self.
    Have a super day Tanya.,
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2014 at 16:51 #

Even the cheap flights here are not so cheap anymore L Have a great day too Mandy!

17. ChgoJohn April 9, 2014 at 04:01 #

Stuffed calamari is Zia’s specialty, one that we all hope she’ll serve when we visit. I increase my odds by bringing her some squid when I visit. 🙂
    I love the sound of this stuffing, Tanya. The chopped egg is a surprise but, even so, the colors are fantastic and I bet the flavors are tasty. The way they’re plated, they look like mini-cornucopia. Fitting because that stuffing is wonderful mix of ingredients.

• Chica Andaluza April 9, 2014 at 08:47 #

Wish I could send Zia some squid for her to stuff and for us all to enjoy them together! The egg worked really well in there but now I am curious to experiment a bit more with different stuffings.

18. TBM April 9, 2014 at 10:11 #

I used to know a man and woman who were married and both were named Tracy. Phones calls were a bit rough in the beginning 🙂

This looks superb. Seriously.

• Chica Andaluza April 9, 2014 at 16:00 #

Isn’t it funny – I wonder how strange it must be too having to call your partner by your “own” name! Especially when you’re having a row 😉

19. narf77 April 13, 2014 at 19:35 #

Although I won’t be partaking of that bouncy bonanza it looks incredibly beautiful and would indeed be something gorgeous to produce with a flourish to waiting guests 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2014 at 10:23 #

Bet you could do a vegan version with some lovely long pointy peppers!

• narf77 April 14, 2014 at 19:16 #

I bet I could too but they wouldn’t have that delicious rubber band “PING” that the squid has 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2014 at 23:21 #

No 😦 You’d have to make the noise and wrap your peppers in cling film which you would then have to eat to replicate the experience 😉

• narf77 April 15, 2014 at 04:57 #

Great idea! And then I could eat them twice as thanks to the elasticity of cling film, some of them would “ping” back up the old alimentary canal! 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2014 at 09:19 #

Nearly choked on my morning coffee reading this!

• narf77 April 15, 2014 at 19:24 #

I nearly choked on my pepper “squid”! Take 2…might have to use something a little more “organic” 😉

20. waterfallsandcaribous April 21, 2014 at 03:39 #

Yum! The only other version we have had of this was in Korea and there it was served cold and kinda odd…looking forward to trying this one out!

21. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:48 #

amazing recipe! thank’s for sharingggg :)))))

22. Suci Purnamasari March 4, 2016 at 08:12 #

I think it looks interesting and tasty 😀