Rosewater Biscuits

28 Aug

Some days are just meant for baking biscuits. This was one of those days and I had just made summer fruits ice cream, using a mix of berries in place of coffee from my coffee ice cream recipe. I thought biscuits lightly scented with rosewater might work well with it. They did, but they also went perfectly with a little cup of very strong coffee.

Rosewater Biscuits (1)

Ingredients

• 125 g plain flour, sifted
  • 15 g cornflour
  • 100 g diced butter
  • 50 g icing sugar, plus extra for rolling out and dusting
  • 20 ml rose water

Put the flour, cornflour and butter into a food processor. Blend until combined.

If making by hand, rub the butter into the flour and cornflour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.

Add the icing sugar and rosewater and blend briefly (or mix gently with a palette knife).  Knead the dough gently into a sausage, (dust your worktop with icing sugar if necessary) wrap in cling film and chill for half an hour.

Preheat the oven to 200°C/180 Fan/gas 6. Cut the dough into discs the thickness of a £1 Coin (that’s about the same as a Euro!) Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper.

Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes until pale gold. Remove, allow to firm slightly, cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container. Or you could just dust them with icing sugar and enjoy them as soon as possible!

35 Responses to “Rosewater Biscuits”

1. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial August 28, 2014 at 09:36 #

Yum! They look and sound delicious, and I love the blue plate!

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 19:07 #

I have a bit of a thing for old blue patterned plates right now and buy them in second hand shops, charity shops, boot fairs, antique markets!

2. thelittlelibrarycafe August 28, 2014 at 10:45 #

These look absolutely delicious! And perfect with fruity ice cream. I love rosewater – and am regularly overusing it!

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 11:46 #

I have a bit of a thing right now about rosewater too!

3. Mad Dog August 28, 2014 at 12:03 #

They sounds amazingly quick to make and delicious. I love that piece of marble you have in the background. That’s begging for a big piece of pastry and a pie dish 😉

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 19:07 #

Thanks MD – the marble is set into my butcher’s block and is perfect for my bread making so gets used very frequently!

• Mad Dog August 28, 2014 at 19:13 #

I’m jealous – I’d love one of those 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 19:32 #

Bought it in Lewes in one of their fantastic Flea Markets – I love it (even though it has a wonky wheel which Big Man STILL hasn’t fixed 😉 )

• Mad Dog August 28, 2014 at 20:03 #

It looks really good – I doubt you’d get such nice marble these days without paying an absolute fortune.

• Chica Andaluza August 29, 2014 at 10:30 #

They don’t make things to last any more unless you pay a fortune L

• Mad Dog August 29, 2014 at 12:10 #

True and some older crafts were done with more precision and care 😉

4. thecompletebook August 28, 2014 at 12:59 #

Heavenly biscuits Tanya!
    Have a beautiful day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

5. Ema Jones August 28, 2014 at 13:25 #

Mild and light biscuits, I’ll love to have them with my evening tea 😛
    Juz adding chopped cashews to these biscuits…

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 19:38 #

Ooh cashews sound good to me!

• Ema Jones August 29, 2014 at 07:44 #

Great then, will try the recipe with cashews….

• Chica Andaluza August 29, 2014 at 10:33 #

J

6. Lynn August 28, 2014 at 14:14 #

I love a rose jam to accompany scones and cream. I think we should get together with M in B-o-S and have a biscuit baking weekend for Xmas gifts in December and you can bake for Dia de los Reyes. L x x

7. Amanda August 28, 2014 at 17:25 #

Wow, Chica. Sometimes the simple recipes are the best. I love that you added rose water. I can only imagine how perfectly subtle and sweet these biscuits are. Perfect for this time of year. Well done as usual!

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 19:01 #

Thanks Amanda – a very subtle but lovely flavour!

8. trixpin August 28, 2014 at 23:01 #

Pretty pretty!! I’d love to try these 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 28, 2014 at 23:27 #

They’re definitely worth making – and so easy!

9. A Famished Foodie August 29, 2014 at 02:38 #

I am so picky about rosewater in my desserts (not a huge fan of most Persian ones), but this sounds good enough and light enough that I just may have to try them out.

• Chica Andaluza August 29, 2014 at 10:31 #

It’s a very distinct flavour and not to everyone’s taste but used sparingly….oh so good!

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime August 29, 2014 at 05:55 #

How perfectly delicate in flavour. I think it’s about time I made some biscuits 🙂

11. Margot @ Gather and Graze August 29, 2014 at 06:09 #

I adore the sound of these Tanya… rosewater is such a beautiful ingredient to use!

• Chica Andaluza August 29, 2014 at 10:32 #

Delicate and subtle (if you’re not heavy handed)!

12. Marianne August 29, 2014 at 06:42 #

Mmmm …. haven’t made biscuits for a while and these sound delicious, Tanya. Yes, I love the plate too 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 29, 2014 at 10:33 #

Thanks Marianne – my little blue plates seem to be a hit!

13. narf77 September 2, 2014 at 21:49 #

You are singing my song with anything rosewater Ms Chica 🙂 I, too, love that gorgeous blue and white plate. I am like a magpie with blue and white china…it’s my shiny things ;). Love these bickies and am going to try to work out how to replicate them in a more narf friendly alternative as I think I need them in my immediate future 🙂

14. Hery September 5, 2014 at 00:36 #

Rosewater Biscuits, hemmm yummy….

15. kathryningrid September 10, 2014 at 00:22 #

Evidently you were spying on me when I was housecleaning and rediscovered my rosewater this afternoon!!! 😀
    xo

16. Maulana Angga February 22, 2015 at 04:06 #

Yummy! They look and sounds delicious.