Roast Chicken

20 Oct

Yes, a delicious chicken rubbed in za’atar, stuffed with a lemon and roasted with onion and perfect potatoes cooked in goose fat. So what? I hear you say, nothing special about that. Well, a roast chicken can mean only one thing – AN OVEN!!

Sunday Roast 007

Yes, although the full refurb of our new home is still only in the planning stages, the dismal cooking arrangements have moved into the slightly more modern era with the purchase of a very nice, temporary, second-hand oven.

Hurrah, almost normal service will be resumed. If I don’t smoke us out (no extractor) in the meantime…

61 Responses to “Roast Chicken”

1. thecompletebook October 20, 2014 at 17:49 #

Woohoo! Awesome. To pleased you are getting back to some normality.
    Have a super day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

2. 76sanfermo October 20, 2014 at 18:10 #

Debe de ser divino este pollo! Y el patchwork,sigue?
    Auguri per tutto…

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2014 at 18:37 #

El pollo era muy rico y el patchwork sigue – lento pero bien!

3. cookinginsens October 20, 2014 at 20:00 #

Wonderful looking meal.

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2014 at 22:19 #

Thanks Rosemary – it was simple but worth the wait!

4. A Famished Foodie October 20, 2014 at 20:29 #

This looks delish! A great roast chicken is always a necessary recipe to have on hand. Almost always a crowd-pleaser!

5. narf77 October 20, 2014 at 20:41 #

I have several chooks that have been digging up my blueberries that I would like to volunteer to be rolled in za’atar and sacrificed to the (tasty) greater good!

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2014 at 22:21 #

You could be drummed out of the Vegan Chicken Fanciers Club for words like that 😉 Wish I could take you up on the offer!

• narf77 October 21, 2014 at 18:48 #

Wish I could deliver on the offer! Digging up blueberries, going clucky in the shrubbery (and Steve’s shed, where 2 of them are fighting for supremacy and are roosting on his lawnmower!) and generally making nuisances of themselves. When they stop laying to go clucky I am seriously tempted to offload the lot of them and turn them into roast chook! 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 19:23 #

I see what you mean! In Spain, when they go clucky, we hold their nether regions under cold running water or dunk those bits into a bucket of cold water. It really does work and doesn’t do them any harm!

• narf77 October 21, 2014 at 20:17 #

We tried that…our chooks are made of sterner stuff. I caught one of them chasing a native bird of prey yesterday with her wings out and on full attack. Ninja chooks with attitude. Would you expect any less from a crazy place like Serendipity Farm?! 😉

6. Mad Dog October 20, 2014 at 21:47 #

Hooray – that chicken looks perfect and congratulations on the new oven. I’ve got an extractor but it doesn’t go anywhere, so I make do with the window 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2014 at 22:22 #

No doubt we’ll be knocking holes in walls soon to ensure optimum ventilation…I’m making do with the window too but the old lady who lived here before has smoke alarms everywhere and even steam seems to set them off!

• Mad Dog October 20, 2014 at 23:02 #

After multiple smoke alarm problems with cooking tortillas in America I hate the damn things and disconnect the batteries where necessary. I can’t stand the government trying to wrap me in cotton wool while I’m slaving over a hot stove 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:40 #

I do confess to having set fire to a lot of tea towels in my kitchen over the years, so my alarms have saved my bacon (sort of!) a few times J

• Mad Dog October 20, 2014 at 23:06 #

Addendum:
        I have seen a rubber glove stretched over a smoke detector in the kitchen of a friend recently – I’m at a loss to remember where, but it’s very effective 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:41 #

How funny – must look like an udder hanging from the ceiling!

• Mad Dog October 21, 2014 at 12:21 #

Yes and that’s why it stood out in my mind, though I still can’t remember where it is…

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 19:19 #

It will come to you one night/morning at about 3am!

• Mad Dog October 21, 2014 at 22:48 #

Most definitely 😉

7. spicegirlfla October 21, 2014 at 01:38 #

Aww, here’s a life lesson. I’ll never take having an oven for granted! My oven is not anything special and I’ve always wanted a better oven…but it works and I can feel how excited you are just to get an oven in your home too! I roast a chicken every weekend just to have it available for lunches and quick bites. I like your idea of using zatar; I have some currently and will have to try it this weekend.

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:42 #

It’s true – you don’t realise how much you use something until you lose it! The za’atar on the chicken is easy and so tasty!

8. Margot @ Gather and Graze October 21, 2014 at 02:10 #

Fantastic roast dinner Tanya (love the za’atar chicken)! Happy to see your oven up and running and bringing a little joy to the table! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:43 #

Thanks Margot – this oven will keep me going now until we get started on the big transformation!

9. cathyandchucky October 21, 2014 at 03:15 #

Congratulations Chick, I bet it tasted wonderful cos my mouth is drooling as I read this blog 😄

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:43 #

A roast chicken is always a good thing to get your mouth watering!

10. ChgoJohn October 21, 2014 at 05:38 #

Congratulations, Tanya! A new oven is no “little thing” and a roasted chicken the perfect way to christen it. Yours looks perfect. Though I didn’t have any za’atar, I did roast a chicken for Zia while she was here. Rarely does so little effort in the kitchen give so great a reward.

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:44 #

Thanks John – you’re right, a simple but homely dish like a roast chicken brings so much pleasure….and so many meals afterwards from the leftovers, the stock, the veggies….!

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime October 21, 2014 at 05:56 #

Great minds think alike. Made the same dish for supper as well. Great that you’ve got an oven!

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 09:45 #

It’s an all year round dish to make people happy!

12. Lynn October 21, 2014 at 11:10 #

I love a roast chicken, congrats on your “new” oven for the time being – L x x

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 19:19 #

I hear you enjoyed a very nice roast on Sunday! Birthday Greetings Lynn xx

• Lynn October 22, 2014 at 15:46 #

Thank you Tanya, will have to get on to M about Christmas biscuit baking weekend, but will wait until after the wedding – Lynn x x

13. TheDorsetFinca October 21, 2014 at 14:48 #

Exciting times!! Enjoy the oven-y goodness! 🙂

14. Amanda October 21, 2014 at 16:54 #

That’s a perfect way to make the new old oven yours!

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2014 at 19:18 #

I agree – to be honest, I don’t think the previous owner used the oven much (just the hob) as it was soooo clean!

15. restlessjo October 21, 2014 at 18:16 #

Yay! Chicken for tea 🙂 (well actually mince and Yorkshires but you won’t know that if I don’t tell you 🙂 )

16. Rachel October 21, 2014 at 21:00 #

Nothing with za’atar get a ho-hum. I’m thinking much more YUM! 😉 And oh so pretty… I can almost hear the skin crackle when cut. Hungry now… mmmmmm!

17. Sid's Sea Palm Cooking October 21, 2014 at 21:18 #

Well, now you’ve made me hungry. I think I need to pick up a nice chicken and do this soon, and I love the idea of using Za’atar on it.

18. Michelle October 22, 2014 at 04:27 #

Sounds special to me, no matter what the situation!

19. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial October 23, 2014 at 22:25 #

An oven! Hooray! Chook looks divine, T, rubbing on za’atar is a brilliant idea!

• Chica Andaluza October 26, 2014 at 08:22 #

Thanks Celia – I love za’atar, use it a lot! By the way, have just managed to track down some smoked salt….it’s wonderful J

20. dedy oktavianus pardede October 23, 2014 at 23:41 #

Damn delicious!!!

21. fati's recipes October 26, 2014 at 03:56 #

Za’tar on a roast chicken is a match made in heaven! Amazing + droolworthy (thumbs up!)

• Chica Andaluza October 26, 2014 at 08:47 #

I use it a lot – love it! And lovely to hear from you, hope all is well J

22. Karen October 26, 2014 at 22:20 #

Just looking at that crispy brown skin, I knew that a slow cooker wasn’t involved with cooking that beautiful chicken and potatoes. You have to be thrilled to have your “new” oven. 😀

• Chica Andaluza October 28, 2014 at 16:13 #

My life has been changed (back) with the arrival of the “new” (to me) oven J

23. PendleStitches November 5, 2014 at 17:29 #

Perfect! An oven and a roast chicken are equally joyful!

24. bitsandbreadcrumbs November 16, 2014 at 18:18 #

I am trying to catch up today, but am so happy to see you’ve scored an oven! Now I want a roast chicken after looking at this beauty. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 16, 2014 at 20:02 #

Yes, the oven was a god send – have been making the most of it!

25. Debby Aripianusari April 23, 2016 at 05:12 #