Cranberry, Orange and Raisin Cake

5 Dec

Cranberries are not just for cranberry sauce and cranberry juice! And we all know they’re good for us, don’t we?! I love that sour taste of Cranberries, Big Man…less so. Oh dear. But he loves cake, so a perfect compromise is to make cake with cranberries in it. I do love a Win/Win cooking situation.

Cranberry & Orange Cake 001

This is a cake for people who are not very good with measuring ingredients as they can find the scales but not the old fashioned weights that go with it. It’s good for folk who have trouble finding the mixer or the electric whisk, who then accidentally turn the oven off for 5 minutes while baking a cake thinking they’ve turned the hob off, then open the oven door to see why the light in the oven seems to have stopped working. Yes, that was me, but this cake is like the hardiest Marine in the Cake Corps – nothing can defeat it, it WILL turn out fine no matter how badly you treat it. You can even half drop the tin as you’re turning the cake out – oh yes, I did that too – but it’s probably going to be prettier if you leave that bit out.

Ingredients for one large cake (serves about 12 – 14 slices)

• 2 ¼ cups of self raising flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • The grated zest of one orange and the juice from the orange made up to 1/3 cup with water if there is not enough
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup yogurt
  • ¾ cup of oil (I used a mix of vegetable oil and olive oil)
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • ½ cup raisins (or any other dried fruit you fancy)

Grease and flour a large baking tin. I used an 11” bundt tin, but a 9” square tin would also work well. Set the oven to 175 degrees C.

Mix together the sugar, orange juice, eggs, yogurt and oil. If you can find your electric whisk, go ahead. If not, use a hand whisk with a bit of fury until all the ingredients are well blended.

Not much left...

Not much left…

Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon, then stir in the fruit and zest. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until the cake is pulling away from the sides of the tin, is browned on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

If you want to top it, mix 8 heaped teaspoons of sifted icing sugar with about 2-3 teaspoons of orange juice (add gradually) until you have a thick pouring paste, and drizzle over.

Make a pot of coffee, cut yourself a good slice of cake, put your feet up and relax…

For another olive oil cake recipe, take a look at my orange and raisin cake.

76 Responses to “Cranberry, Orange and Raisin Cake”

1. frugalfeeding December 5, 2014 at 10:21 #

Beautiful cake and flavours! It looks delicious 🙂

2. Lynn December 5, 2014 at 10:27 #

I love a piece of cake!

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:05 #

We all do!

• abdunnavi February 24, 2015 at 15:50 #

especially with rainboww cake,…..emmm deliciouse

3. Ema Jones December 5, 2014 at 10:34 #

Irresistible. Great start for the Christmas. Have a yummilicious day!

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:06 #

• Ema Jones December 8, 2014 at 08:19 #

Hope I can use fruit yogurt instead of a plain one. Plz suggest..

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2014 at 09:44 #

As long as you use a full fat yogurt (can’t vouch for how a reduced fat one would work) I’d use your favourite flavour!

• Ema Jones December 8, 2014 at 10:48 #

Definitely the possibilities and varieties are endless and taste enhances when you exchange ideas. Merry Christmas!

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2014 at 16:29 #

I agree – good wishes to you too!

• Ema Jones December 9, 2014 at 08:39 #

Best of luck to you too.
        BTW Merry Christmas!

4. trixpin December 5, 2014 at 10:59 #

That is one tough cake. I think you definitely put it through its paces, and after all that – just when it thought it was getting a break – you went and ate it! Poor cake … but I would have done too because it looks absolutely delicious 🙂 What a great idea to use fresh cranberries in there too, very festive.

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:06 #

I was a bit mean to the poor cake, but it made it through and survived the experience J

5. TBM December 5, 2014 at 11:59 #

I’m with Big Man, not a fan unless they are in a cake.

6. Food,Photography & France December 5, 2014 at 12:10 #

That’s a good sounding cake….but why are you measuring in cups? I have charts all around the kitchen for converting weights and measures from accursed cups and spoons…how can a cup of flour and sugar be different and then there’s an Australian cup or an American cup…insane. However, that’s a cake worth making once it’s been converted to the true faith 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:11 #

I couldn’t find my weights L Sometimes I do use cups but I think my mum bought them in a Pound shop so they don’t seem to correspond to any of the standard cup measurements…hey ho, the recipes still seem to work but I do prefer to measure if I can!

7. Mad Dog December 5, 2014 at 12:17 #

Wow it looks so light and fluffy for something so robust. I love the bit about sneaking the cranberries in and why not! 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:11 #

You have to be crafty sometimes in the kitchen!

• Mad Dog December 7, 2014 at 19:20 #

ROFL 🙂

8. restlessjo December 5, 2014 at 12:20 #

I love tart things like rhubarb and goosegobs, Tanya, and this cake would go down well in our house. Let me get my pinny out 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:12 #

Oh I love them too…but with a hint of sweetness when they’re cooked!

9. Arielle December 5, 2014 at 14:30 #

It looks amazing!! ❤

10. Linda December 5, 2014 at 15:28 #

As soon as I read….make a pot of coffee, cut yourself a good slice of cake, put your feet up and relax…I wanted to make this right now…even though I’m sitting at work! The title of this just sounds to like Christmas also. I have to try this out for the holidays…as serve it just as you wrote 🙂

11. bitsandbreadcrumbs December 5, 2014 at 16:20 #

I love fresh cranberries…especially paired with orange in cakes, liqueur and muffins, and this cake looks delicious! I have two bags of fresh cranberries in fridge awaiting a moment when I can actually take the time to bake again. 🙂

12. 76sanfermo December 5, 2014 at 18:04 #

Looks delicious and easy….
    (Maybe you have already tried rice-oil: I find it perfect for my cakes , since I ‘m allergic to lactose and can’t use any butter….Sometimes, olive oil leaves that special flavour that I adore in salads….)
    Thanks a lot for your fabulous recipes!

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:16 #

Have never tried or heard of rice oil – will look out for it!

• abdunnavi February 24, 2015 at 15:32 #

much sugar will definitely sweeter, ..hehe

13. narf77 December 5, 2014 at 19:27 #

I reckon I can veganise this and make it bullet proof ;). Sometimes, especially at this time of year that brings out the best and the worst in folks, a nice big chunk of hearty cake is just what the narf ordered. Doctors aren’t allowed to order cake any more thanks to political correctness but I am not, and have never claimed to be a doctor so knock yourselves out folks! Whatever saves the day is my motto and psychiatrists cost a LOT more! 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:17 #

Yes, it’s not quite vegan – what would you substitute for eggs and yogurt? When Big Man was in hospital recently, I was surprised that he did get cake (and custard) for dessert…it perked him up no end!

• narf77 December 7, 2014 at 19:46 #

There is cake (Stevie-boys mental image loaded with cream and jam) and there is “cake” (healthy and loaded with fruit and nuts). It’s all how you play the game ;). There are lots of subs for eggs including using besan (chickpea) flour which also gives that lovely yellow colour that eggs give to a recipe and yoghurt is easy peasy. I just culture some of my non dairy homemade sesame milk with a bit of booch and voila, instant “yoghurt” (well curdled milk but whatchagonnadoeh? Does the same job 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:49 #

You are the Heston Blumenthal of the Vegan Kitchen!

• narf77 December 7, 2014 at 19:53 #

Cept I have a LOT more hair and a LOT less money 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:53 #

Hair is preferable to money 😉

• narf77 December 7, 2014 at 20:01 #

I agree, however Mr B might not agree with us 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 21:55 #

😉

14. Amanda December 5, 2014 at 23:29 #

This looks so delicious. I love that you used cranberries in it. This looks so moist and not too difficult to execute. Perfect for dessert or breakfast with some coffee or tea!

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:22 #

It was good for breakfast as well as afternoon tea – I can vouch for it!

15. Rachel December 7, 2014 at 00:04 #

Dang, you’ve made me hungry *again*! Mmmm… I love cranberries and this sounds just dandy!

16. cathyandchucky December 7, 2014 at 00:26 #

I love your descriptions Chica 😄. I might give this a go with craisins. These are what we call dried cranberries. I use them a lot and they feature heavily in my gluten free Christmas cake too.

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:35 #

Ooh we have the dried ones too – love the name craisins!

17. DianeT December 7, 2014 at 02:37 #

I can’t remember ever seeing fresh cranberries for sale in our supermarkets, so I might try black currants and see how that goes.
    I’m a real fan of simple easy to make cakes.

• Chica Andaluza December 7, 2014 at 19:38 #

I guess I took for granted that fresh cranberries are widely available. Love blackcurrants but you don’t see them much anymore – my great grandmother (who I remember well – she was married to an Erskine descendant!) had bushes of them!

18. thecompletebook December 7, 2014 at 08:09 #

Hee hee – ” hardiest Marine in the Cake Corps” . Sounds like my kinda cake. Would love to share a slice with you over a cuppa.
    Have a wonderful week ahead Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xoxoxo

19. RMW December 8, 2014 at 00:34 #

This sounds good, I love cranberries… a nice balance to something sweet.

20. Margot @ Gather and Graze December 8, 2014 at 02:06 #

Your cake looks and sounds so easy and delicious Tanya! Cranberries only seem to be dried (or frozen in massive big bags from Costco) here in Australia… perhaps I’ll go the big bag and make up some jars of cranberry sauce with the leftovers! Love a no-fail recipe! Your method mentions sugar… but I can’t see a quantity for it in the ingredient list? Cheers, Margot

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2014 at 09:48 #

Ooh thanks for pointing out the omission – it’s ¾ cup of sugar, have amended! I make a lovely cranberry sauce with red onions, port and orange zest, your comment reminded me it’s time to make some J

21. Tandy | Lavender and Lime December 8, 2014 at 07:48 #

I will keep this close to hand for December as we are having rolling blackouts which could spell disaster for baking 🙂

22. Serena Amadis December 8, 2014 at 17:14 #

Mmmhh, I usually hate fruit cake but this looks soooooooo yummy!

23. PendleStitches December 8, 2014 at 21:10 #

I’m with Big Man on cranberry sauce…but! cranberries in cakes and cookies…I’m totally on board with that. Adding this recipe to the “must bake” list!

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2014 at 22:34 #

I lurve cranberry sauce – Big Man also thinks Apple Sauce with meat is weird, but that’s a Spaniard for you 😉

24. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 9, 2014 at 02:40 #

Perfect!

25. tortadellafiglia December 9, 2014 at 15:58 #

oh… this cake made my stomach growl…
    Have a wonderful week ahead! 🙂

26. ChgoJohn December 10, 2014 at 02:50 #

Finally a cake destined for my kitchen! It could mark the start of my career as a baker. That may be pushing it but I can see myself mixing one and putting it in the oven before starting your mustard chicken in the slow cooker. That afternoon will be spent nibbling on cake while I wait for the chicken to finish. Some wine may find its way into a glass if, for no other reason, than to toast Bexhill’s very own Chica. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 10, 2014 at 10:28 #

I think you should start with the wine – no need to rush into any dangerous baking – and then take it from there 😉

27. Maulana Angga December 21, 2014 at 12:03 #

Perfect! The taste is very good and beautiful looks

28. Karen December 22, 2014 at 14:49 #

If your little cake went through all that and turned out good…it should be at the top of our cake repertoire.

29. abdunnavi February 24, 2015 at 15:12 #

seems pretty tasty at all, what is the name of the food?,….
    i like it

30. Burhan April 16, 2015 at 17:11 #

Every time I see food that are here, make my stomach is always hungry, hehe

31. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:34 #

yum! it looks delicious too:))

32. obatherbalpalingmurah August 24, 2015 at 09:17 #

Mrs. Chica besides cook clever, clever Apparently also make cakes. Especially made ​​cake donuts, cool …. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 24, 2015 at 22:36 #

I don’t make cakes often, but we do enjoy them!

• Burhan October 27, 2015 at 16:03 #

it’s good for birthday too. adding some starwberry cream it will tottally beautiful

• Chica Andaluza October 27, 2015 at 18:50 #