Fideuá de Pescado y Mariscos – Fish and Seafood Noodles

8 Jul

If Paella and Arroz Caldoso are half sisters to the Italian Risotto, then Paella and Fideuá are first cousins. The famous Paella is known to most of us, a delicious rice and seafood (or meat) dish which comes from the Valencia region of North East Spain. Less well known, outside of Spain at least, is its cousin…the Fideuá. It´s very similar to a paella but made with Fideos (short noodles). Fideos come in different sizes in Spain from very thin (called Angel Hair pasta) for dropping into broth right through to almost the thickness of spaghetti. This dish tends to use the ones at the thicker end of the scale, as they need to stand up to a little while cooking in the delicious broth.

Fideua de Mariscos (7)

Amounts used are flexible, use what you have, and play around with the ingredients. Like arroz caldoso, it’s quicker to cook than a paella and is a typical everyday lunch dish, for tucking into with a spoon (a plato de cuchara – a “spoon” dish), with lemon juice squeezed over and plenty of delicious bread. We can’t decide if we prefer arroz caldoso or fideuá caldosa – try them both and let me know what you think! I know Celia from Fig Jam and Lime Cordial enjoys making Arroz Caldoso for her family…Celia, I hope you like this version too!

Approximate Ingredients for 4 people (as a main dish)

• 250g prawns (less if already peeled) – if they have the shells on peel them and use them to make a fish stock, if not use water or a cube
  • About 250g of mixed fish and shellfish (I used some white fish fillets but when I have mussels or clams I add them in too)
  • Half a red pepper finely chopped
  • A thin green pepper, finely chopped
  • A couple of tablespoons of peas
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large tomato peeled and finely chopped or half a cup of tomato conserva
  • 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
  • 1 teaspoon of sweet pimentón
  • A pinch of saffron
  • Seasoning
  • Olive oil
  • Approx 400g Fideos

Start by making a sofrito or tomato sauce. Lightly fry the garlic until soft then add the peppers and peas. Add the pimentón and saffron, cover the pan and let everything sweat gently until soft then add the tomato. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

Fideua de Mariscos (6)

For 4 people (and a soupy fideuá) add about 1.5 litres of stock and simmer for a further 10 minutes. If you have a paella pan, cazuela or a deep frying pan that you can use to serve, transfer the liquid to this. Now add your fideos – about 100g per person, but follow any guidelines on the packet. When they are about half cooked, add the fish (biggest chunks first) then the shellfish. Taste and season as necessary.

For a thick, dryer dish (more the consistency of a paella) you may need to use less liquid or just cook this way and spoon out some of the liquid at the end (save it for a light soup with some thin fideos thrown in!). Equally, if it looks a little dry as you are cooking it, just add a ladleful or two of hot stock.

Serve like paella with lemon juice, crusty bread and wine. A spoonful of alioli is also great with this dish.

Like a paella, you can vary the ingredients to make your fideuá according to what you have available. Make it veggie, or use meat instead of fish. It may not be absolutely authentic, but the influence will be there and the taste will be just as good!

62 Responses to “Fideuá de Pescado y Mariscos – Fish and Seafood Noodles”

1. Mad Dog July 8, 2015 at 17:04 #

I’m jealous, I absolutely love fideuà, especially with a big dollop of Allioli. I believe that when the noodles stand on end it’s an indication that the dish is cooked 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 17:29 #

So says Rick Stein – and I know that in some places they fry the noodles first to toast them and then you cover them at the end so that they rise up! Mine would never do that as we like them drowning in caldo so they re focused on swimming instead 😉

• Mad Dog July 8, 2015 at 17:43 #

Ha ha – that’s exactly who I was quoting, but I remember him cooking it with some Catalans in Spain, so assume it’s correct and it does tend to look like it’s standing up in all the restaurants I’ve had it in, in Barcelona. However, it’s officially a Valencian dish, like Paella, so I think I need to go to the Fideuà International Contest in Gandia to find out for sure 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 18:19 #

Some research you can do on our behalf!! Maybe mine is the Andalucian Country version!

• Mad Dog July 8, 2015 at 18:26 #

There are many different paella versions across Spain, so why not for fideuà too 😉

2. Ria July 8, 2015 at 17:25 #

Scrummy! I could eat a big bowl of that right now x

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 17:30 #

We have a portion left over….because you were not here for the “lunch club”!

• Ria July 8, 2015 at 18:30 #

But it’s not Tuesday!! 😀

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 18:33 #

True but we can be flexible!

3. thecompletebook July 8, 2015 at 18:02 #

I want to come and visit for as long as it takes to work through all of your wonderful recipes. Think I might have to bring my kitties and Pete along for the trip too.
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 18:19 #

Ah that’s so lovely of you – my pups love kitties and if Pete is house trained we’ll let him come along too 😉

4. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 8, 2015 at 18:26 #

This is a first cousin I would warmly welcome at my house! ;D

5. restlessjo July 8, 2015 at 18:54 #

So many choices with this dish, Tanya, and all of them sounding delicious! Or is that just because it’s time for tea? 🙂 I better get me to the kitchen!

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 19:33 #

Reading recipes before eating is like going to the supermarket when you’re hungry…not the best plan!

6. Amanda | What's Cooking July 8, 2015 at 20:15 #

This looks amazing. I love fideos and I love that you made them! Shrimp and saffron. You seriously combined everything for my all time favorite meal here! xo

7. narf77 July 8, 2015 at 22:10 #

Looks like Asian paella? 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 22:33 #

Aha – maybe I’m cleverer than I gave myself credit for and created a fusion dish 😉

• narf77 July 8, 2015 at 22:57 #

Indeed you did Ms Chica. You rule like that 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2015 at 22:58 #

Ha ha J

8. Ginger July 9, 2015 at 00:26 #

It looks delicious! How I wish I could be having a large helping of it right now …

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 10:52 #

Thank you Ginger – it’s a favourite in our house!

• Ginger July 9, 2015 at 10:55 #

I’ve been dying to make it – just waiting for someone from Spain to visit us and bring us a pack of noodles 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 11:04 #

I stocked up when we were there but when I run out I buy thin Spaghettini and break them up!

• Ginger July 9, 2015 at 11:11 #

Good thinking! It’s much more straightforward than inviting my brother-in-law every time we fell like it 😉

9. Eha July 9, 2015 at 03:12 #

*big smile* – barf77 got ahead of me ’cause all the time I read about this deliciousness I thought ‘Well, that is how I make’ thinking of a number of Asian dishes common here using somewhat different ingredients but same methodology 🙂 !! Noodles included of course!!!

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 10:54 #

Round your side of the world you’ve really cracked the art of including Asian cuisine as a regular part of the diet – I loved it when I was there!

10. Tandy | Lavender and Lime July 9, 2015 at 05:55 #

This sounds absolutely scrumptious Tanya 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 10:54 #

Thanks Tandy – I love that it can be as simple or as sophisticated as you choose to make it.

11. coleenarroyo July 9, 2015 at 06:13 #

Reblogged this on Constantly Overthinking and commented:
    Good for the rainy days!

12. PendleStitches July 9, 2015 at 09:30 #

That looks sooooooo good. Please adopt me…now! 😉

13. themateriallady July 9, 2015 at 10:02 #

We tried your last fideua ( this was just auto changed to hideous – glad i was paying attention!) dish which we enjoyed so I will be trying this one too.

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 10:55 #

How funny – (the auto change that is!) Glad you liked it – we make it often as it’s a pretty quick dish to pull together once you get into your rythmn!

14. cookinginsens July 9, 2015 at 14:59 #

A lovely color and I know delicious.

15. chef mimi July 9, 2015 at 15:48 #

Why have I never heard of this?!!! It looks wonderful! Although it’s hard to beat a good paella…

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 19:50 #

I think this comes close to a good paella – it’s just not as well known!

16. Karen July 9, 2015 at 21:30 #

I haven’t had fideua since I lived in Miami. When I had it, the noodles had been toasted like you mentioned in your comment with Mad Dog. Either way, it is a delicious dish.

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2015 at 22:04 #

Yes that’s quite a traditional way of doing it – I think “we” Andalucians take the short cuts!

17. Jaketanakkarakter July 10, 2015 at 12:34 #

It looks delicious

18. Jaketanakkarakter July 10, 2015 at 14:22 #

Reblogged this on jaketanakanak.

19. Food,Photography & France July 11, 2015 at 08:00 #

Love that Spanish pasta…I was watching a Spanish woman,on TV, making a form of paella replacing the rice with fideuas…looks great

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2015 at 09:04 #

It’s really popular where we are – tasty but quicker than paella!

20. TheDorsetFinca July 11, 2015 at 10:02 #

This really looks like food for the soul… Would definitely cheer up even the most drizzly English days! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 11, 2015 at 11:09 #

It would – and although it’s glorious today I think we’ve got ran tomorrow L

21. yummyinsidemytummy July 12, 2015 at 22:11 #

Looks so appetizing. Well done!

22. Rachel July 21, 2015 at 03:40 #

Mmmmmm… I can almost (almost, mind you) smell it from here!

23. obatherbalpalingmurah August 23, 2015 at 15:51 #

Recipes that taste good. Plus there are shrimp. I love shrimp. Let’s try .

24. kaoskarakter October 9, 2015 at 23:07 #

it looks like the food very tasty at all and I look like laksa dish of INDONESIA, DO you know about laksa?

25. Maulana Angga November 7, 2015 at 03:40 #

You are brilliant chica, so many have interesting ideas

26. Chef Devaux November 23, 2015 at 21:56 #

It’s looking so good. I,am always interested in something different. Yummy, this seafood recipe is the best.

27. Suci Purnamasari March 3, 2016 at 06:51 #

I so wanted to try cooking at home for loved ones

28. OsbVitaminOtakCerdas March 12, 2016 at 01:42 #

Seafood noodles, unik food..but i think i like..

29. Debby Aripianusari May 7, 2016 at 03:38 #

i like it 😀 so i will to try cooking

1. The Emperor’s New Clothes – Red Emperor (Snapper), Pargo Rojo | Chica Andaluza - February 15, 2016

[…] fried in olive oil just to warm them through and I’ve also frozen the rest to make a lovely fishy fideua another […]