A short walk around Burguillos del Cerro

17 Oct

It’s been a wee while since I posted. Some of you may even have picked up on the fact that we were due to go away for a few days with some pals to a HUGE livestock fair (the biggest in Europe I believe) in a town called Zafra. Well, we did get there and all went well. But the photos of the event….bleugh. Funnily enough, the only ones that came out half decent were of a huge barbecue affair (called a Parillada) they had there which, of course, we indulged in. Trust me to focus more on the food than the livestock.

Zafra Sep 2015 051

Zafra Sep 2015 052

We stayed near a very lovely little town called Burguillos del Cerro – very close to the frontier with Portugal.

Zafra Sep 2015 006

It’s pretty ancient and dates back to the times of the Reconquista – way back in the 700s.

House of Garlandi. 17th Century. Constructed with Roman materials reused from the Temple of Saint Coronado.

Zafra Sep 2015 012

The weather wasn’t great the evening we took a walk around and the light was fading, but it was very atmospheric and lovely to walk around at twilight appreciating the castle way off in the distance and the old centre with buildings that are being very sympathetically restored.

Of course, then it was time to decide where to go for dinner. Priorities, priorities!

54 Responses to “A short walk around Burguillos del Cerro”

1. cookinginsens October 17, 2015 at 18:58 #

Great top photos. I like barbecued meat 🙂

2. suesharpe04 October 17, 2015 at 19:12 #

I’m glad you enjoyed the Zafra Fair – we go every year!
    Let me know if you’re ever up this way again, it’s be great to meet for a coffee 🙂

3. Mad Dog October 17, 2015 at 19:13 #

I had a feeling Rosemary would like the barbecue. That Parillada is quite fantastic, as is the House of Garlandi 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 17, 2015 at 19:56 #

The Parillada was great – mind you, we all moaned and groaned about eating too much meat that day! What I liked about Burguillos was that although the houses were being restored, they were real. People lived in them…no decaying crumbling ruins left to be forgotten.

• Mad Dog October 17, 2015 at 20:09 #

That’s definitely another thing for my mental list of things to visit in Spain, along with the festivals for snails and jamon. I’m looking at coming over to Barcelona before Christmas – just in time for the lights on the Ramblas, which are a more sophisticated than on Oxford Street 😉

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:13 #

I bet Barcelona at Christmas will be wonderful!

• Mad Dog October 19, 2015 at 19:39 #

It always makes me feel very nostalgic 🙂

4. Amanda | What's Cooking October 17, 2015 at 19:37 #

Nothing like a giant bbq. That looks like such a great event and a lot of fun just walking around!

• Chica Andaluza October 17, 2015 at 19:57 #

It was a HUGE Feria – you need a couple of days too look around!

5. narf77 October 17, 2015 at 20:24 #

Obviously priorities! You would need a lot of energy to keep up all of that trotting around and that is one serious bbq Ms Chica.

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:14 #

It was on the go all day too – never seen anything like it!

6. Cecilia Mary Gunther October 17, 2015 at 21:48 #

Way back in the ‘700’s. That is a MENTAL sentence. I cannot even get a hold of that time as being real in my head – it just seems so .. I don’t know – Historical Romancish.

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:14 #

It’s a bit hard to get your head around something so very old (and still going strong)!

7. Saiful Bahri on wisata lombok October 18, 2015 at 05:43 #

seemingly very classic yet elegant …
    if I should know in which country this is ,,, ? because to be honest I really do not know because they do not know : D

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:15 #

It’s an area of Spain called Extremadura – close to the frontier with Portugal!

• Saiful Bahri on wisata lombok October 23, 2015 at 15:20 #

wow…amazing
        that so .. : D
        I really do not know about it because I come from Southeast Asia , namely Indonesia . Have you ever visited the land of a thousand islands?

8. themateriallady October 18, 2015 at 12:08 #

Thanks for the virtual tour. It would have been nice to have a bit of barbecue to enjoy with it. I’m sure that you had my bit!

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:16 #

Well, it was getting cold so I had to eat it 😉

9. PendleStitches October 18, 2015 at 19:09 #

Looks to me like you’ve got your priorities spot on! Promenades and wonderful food. Perfect. That barbecue looks amazing!

10. Bluejellybeans October 18, 2015 at 19:17 #

¡Que sitio tan bonito Chica!! La verdad es que para nosotros Extremadura es territorio inexplorado. Pasamos por ahí todos los años camino de Cádiz y sólo paramos en el camino para tomar un bocadillo y seguimos deprisa para llegar cuanto antes al mar y alejarnos del calor que normalmente hace por esas tierras. Me alegro que vosotros sí hayas disfrutado del lugar como Dios manda.
    Un abrazo,
    G

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2015 at 16:17 #

Creo que para mi también era mi primer visita a esta parte de Espana – pero no la ultima!

11. Dety October 19, 2015 at 04:32 #

Vey Interesting for me…

12. Gendang Beleq October 19, 2015 at 06:01 #

Mrs.Chica…..
    its a beatiful holiday
    I hope can get it with my family 😀

13. Tandy | Lavender and Lime October 19, 2015 at 09:13 #

I am glad that you have got your priorities straight! Rather pics of food, than of animals waiting to become food 😉

14. thecompletebook October 19, 2015 at 14:57 #

Nothing wrong with your priorities about photographing the food. 😀
    Have a beautiful day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

15. Tortilla for tea October 19, 2015 at 21:43 #

My in-laws live in the Sierra de Aracena, Huelva, and when we visit them we get the ferry to Northern Spain and drive through the centre of Spain, passing through Zafra and Extremadura. I really love it, because it’s very similar to the Sierra de Aracena in its landscape and Iberian pigs, plus like the Alentejo in Portugal, rather impoverished and parched in summer, but also a bit of an undiscovered gem, with loads of great food on offer!

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2015 at 14:22 #

I agree, it is very much like the Alentejo, and still pretty much undiscovered! And what a lovely part of Spain your in laws live in J

16. The Chair's Antique October 26, 2015 at 01:54 #

eMMMM,…..look beautiful,and so deliciouse

17. Burhan October 27, 2015 at 13:50 #

i culinary so much.. hahaha from your photo i curious about what teh parillada taste like

18. Burhan October 27, 2015 at 13:52 #

i like culinary so much.. hahaha from your photo i curious about what teh parillada taste like

• Chica Andaluza October 27, 2015 at 18:52 #

Mostly pork I’m afraid but any meat can be cooked this way – it gives it a lovely smokey flavour!

19. bitsandbreadcrumbs October 28, 2015 at 21:03 #

The 700’s…that is truly ancient! It must have been fascinating. That looks like a very delicious barbecue event…just looking at those top pictures makes my mouth water. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 28, 2015 at 22:39 #

It’s hard to get your head around something so ancient isn’t it!!

20. Ginger October 30, 2015 at 22:48 #

Wow – what a great trip! That parillada looked so good, my Chilean boyfriend nearly pulled a muscle leaning over to look at the picture 😉
    We’ve got friends from that region – lucky them: you should see their suitcases when they come back from a weekend at home ….

• Chica Andaluza October 31, 2015 at 20:07 #

Ha ha – we’re back in England and the car was packed with goodies too!

• Ginger November 1, 2015 at 23:20 #

Hay, que rico! 😉

• Ginger November 22, 2015 at 20:34 #

I saw them the other day, he’s actually from a town very close to Zafra and was glad you enjoyed it! 🙂

21. restlessjo October 30, 2015 at 23:40 #

Never mind the pics- glad you had a good time 🙂

22. Karen November 4, 2015 at 14:42 #

Even if the weather wasn’t perfect, I bet you had a terrific time.

23. salima November 7, 2015 at 02:04 #

a beautiful moment

24. Maulana Angga November 7, 2015 at 02:45 #

Waw experience interesting , the building is very classic and beautiful. Glad you had a good time

25. jamuherbalginjal November 23, 2015 at 13:42 #