Can you believe that the dress above started from a pattern that looked like this?
What a sultry look eh?
I found the material at a bargain price in a furnishing fabric store but thought it was pretty enough to make something wearable with. It was more an experiment to learn a few new techniques for me as now that I´ve finished the dress, I realise that I don´t really have anywhere I could wear it! I don´t think the chickens would appreciate it and I´m not sure it would go so well with my wellies. The dogs probably wouldn´t take much notice of it either on our walks. Hey ho, I´ll put it back in the wardrobe for now and wait for an invitation to a Vintage Style Garden tea party.
I had a good play around with the pattern. I realised that the pleating in the bodice would do me no favours, so took the original one in.
Then I cut it out according to the adjustments I had made in my muslin.
I took time to finish the edges properly.
Unbelievably a little local shop had some pretty satin bias binding which I used to cover the inner seams and finish the hems and edges with…I got a bit carried away as I liked it so much.
These were then hand finished. Love sewing by hand!
Finally I decided to add some cap sleeves.
I´m happy with how it turned out and may well use the muslin to make up another dress in a more “useable” fabric.
Big lesson learned for me – I have severely wonky shoulders! I had to adjust the bodice shoulders so many times to get the right fit. I blame it on carrying heavy school bags loaded down with books in my youth…