Salsa Verde Spanish Style

12 Aug

Shake before serving...

Well, it´s not exactly Italian salsa verde in that there are no capers or anchovies…but, it´s a green sauce so that most definitely makes it a salsa verde!

Restaurants round where I live have good, simple food.  It can sometimes get a little repetitive, and often there´s no menu as they all serve pretty much the same selection of grilled meats (usually pork cuts) and some grilled or fried fish.  What you get though is fresh, well cooked and tasty food.  Often the meat or fish will come drizzled with a delicious garlic and parsley mixture blended with olive oil.

One of our regular local restaurants moves everything outside onto the “summer terrace” during the hot months.  This includes the cooking, so you can sit at your table and almost within an arm´s reach you have Luis at the bar, his partner Sonia in the kitchen area and the mountain views.  I noticed that Sonia makes her sauce up and keeps it in a squeezy bottle which she then uses to dispense the delicious mixture over the cooked food as it leaves the kitchen and is delivered to us by Luis.

All she does is finely chop parsley and garlic and blend with a season of salt and local extra virgin olive oil.  I make mine up in the food processor or in a small jug using the hand stick blender.  I have now taken to keeping a bottle of this in my fridge.  Sometimes I add the zest of a lemon, and squirt it over simple grilled dishes (including vegetables) to liven them up.

Sadly, no waiter service at home, so we dished up ourselves!

Do give it a go, it´s handy to have around and apart from looking pretty, tastes wonderful. Probably best not to eat it if you´re going out on a hot first date though!

56 Responses to “Salsa Verde Spanish Style”

1. Cooking through the seasons August 12, 2011 at 09:51 #

Very hand little tip you have provided, thank you.
    Its raining in Cape Town today so I am rather pleased that we will be celebrating my birthday at home this evening. I will post the menu later.
    Take care

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:37 #

Sorry it´s raining for your birthday…but have a wonderful evening! Cape Town…how fantastic, it´s on my wish list.

2. ChgoJohn August 12, 2011 at 11:18 #

That’s Summer in a Bottle, you got there. I like your idea of keeping some on-hand in the fridge. It will add a new dimension to anything coming off my grill. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:37 #

It is indeed…such fresh colours. Mind you, nothing looks very green here in summer…more straw coloured!

3. fatisrecipes August 12, 2011 at 11:26 #

Oooh, with your sun dried tomatoes recipe, a bottle of this, and a jar home made cheese balls in olive oil… I’ll look like I’m the chef of the town… 😀

4. thecompletecookbook August 12, 2011 at 11:44 #

Fantastic – what a brilliant idea to wizz this up and have handy in the fridge. Now just to wait on the warm weather.
    Have a happy weekend.

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:39 #

Thanks Mandy, we use it a lot. Have a great weekend too!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:39 #

Thanks Mandy, we use it a lot. Have a great weekend too!

5. ambrosiana August 12, 2011 at 12:06 #

Excellent post! Great and simple recipe! Put it on grilled or oven baked fish and you are sent to heaven!! Bravissima!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:42 #

A bit like a ready made gremolata….it´s so good.

6. TBM August 12, 2011 at 13:15 #

I think I need to move next door to you so I can finally learn how to cook. As always, it looks amazing.

• Ria August 12, 2011 at 14:50 #

Too late – I’m moving there first!!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:45 #

Aah, but you get the spare room!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:43 #

We have a lovely olive grove with plenty of room for camping….cooking lessons free of charge!

7. florence and freddie August 12, 2011 at 14:33 #

Hi Chica. Thanks for sharing this. I love this source. I didn’t realise it was so easy to make. Will give it a go.
    Regards Florence x

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:43 #

Give it a go…you can splosh it on everything!

8. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 12, 2011 at 14:38 #

Ha, I’m mainly familiar with the Mexican/Americanized version of salsa verde. I’ll have to try this!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:44 #

Salsa Verde, any way, is good as far as I´m concerned. This one is super easy and tastes wonderful.

9. Ria August 12, 2011 at 14:49 #

I have a bottle that looks remarkably like your one in my larder – was going to use it as a pesto on pasta but will now upgrade it to the fridge to be used willy nilly as you describe. Having a great cook as a best friend does have it’s benefits!! R x

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:45 #

Aah you say the nicest things. Think the bottle you have is indeed pesto, but you could add a little extra oil to half of it and then you´d have a bottle of each! Use willy nilly….as you say 🙂

10. spicegirlfla August 12, 2011 at 14:54 #

I’d love to be dining al fresco on their summer terrace! I too keep a flavored salsa or sauce or vinegrette in my frig each week to my dishes for a boost of flavor. This is a really nice simple variation to try, nothing overpowering but just enough flavor to compliment so many dishes.

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:46 #

We just had some at lunch time with a couple of tomatoes picked from the garden and sprinkled with sea salt and this sauce…so delicious!

11. thefooddoctor August 12, 2011 at 15:31 #

I will definetly give this a try real soon
    I think it will add so much freshness and flavor to anything you use it on

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 15:47 #

It´s easy just to make a small serving too…just to make sure you like it. Hope you do!

12. ReFashionista August 12, 2011 at 16:36 #

That looks delish! I never know what to do with fish when I try to cook it, so it always ends up being a little bland. I’ll have to make some of this!

Oh..and on a side note…I’ve started making the Ginger Beer following the recipe you used a while back. The plant is almost done, and my friends are impatiently awaiting what will hopefully be a tasty summer drink! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 20:11 #

Ooh – great to see you here! It´s a winner with fish which can sometimes be a little (dare I say it) …dull! Do give it a go. And am so pleased you´re trying the ginger beer – it´s great with a shot of gin in the summer and a warming whisky in the winter! Let me know how it goes.

13. gardenfreshtomatoes August 12, 2011 at 17:21 #

Excellent idea, to keep it around…I’m trying to remember why I stopped doing that a few years ago, but nothing’s coming. Silly me… Thanks for the reminder!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 20:11 #

I think we all do that – stop making something we really like for no particular reason. But when we start again we remember how good/useful it was!

14. chaiselongue1 August 12, 2011 at 17:23 #

What a great idea to keep a bottle of this ready made! I often pour this kind of mix over grilled meat and fish, but hadn’t thought of making it in advance.

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 20:12 #

It probably keeps for quite a while too but we tend to use it up pretty quickly, so I´m not sure how long!

15. trevorhunt August 12, 2011 at 18:33 #

Okay Tanya, so when is the book coming out? If there is a publisher out there reading this then they should be signing you up! Great content, great food, great pics, what else do you need?
    It must be great to have local restaurants serving good local food. I’m all for it.
    Put a pinny on Big Man and get him to serve up your goodies!!
    Have a great weekend. Off to see Simple Minds in our local town tonight. See blog tomorrow for pics!

• chicaandaluza August 12, 2011 at 20:14 #

Aah – you´ve made my day. Thanks for your kind words! Big Man is actually pretty good at the serving/clearing up end of things…and a great wine waiter. He is of the school that it´s illegal to cook without a glass of wine in your hand which is fine by me! have a great weekend yourself too and enjoy the concert (you little rocker you) 🙂

16. JamieAnne August 13, 2011 at 05:18 #

This looks wonderful. I’ll have to give it a try. Have a super weekend dear!

17. Karen August 13, 2011 at 14:18 #

Isn’t it amazing, what a few simlpe ingredients mixed together and added to grilled food does to brighten the flavor.

• chicaandaluza August 13, 2011 at 14:54 #

A friend of mine always says that if you have a lemon in the house, you can make anything taste great…and I think she´s right!

18. Michi August 13, 2011 at 16:58 #

Mmmmmmm!

• chicaandaluza August 13, 2011 at 21:28 #

Mmmn indeed!

• Michi August 15, 2011 at 15:54 #

I made this today!!! 😀 Delicious! Thank you!

• chicaandaluza August 15, 2011 at 16:33 #

You´re welcome – I bet you start sploshing it over everything!

19. foodblogandthedog August 13, 2011 at 21:52 #

I could happily drizzle this on everything, I’m definitely going to make this, I need more empty sauce bottles though, I’ve been making so many lately, I think I could set up a sauces & pickles business!

• chicaandaluza August 13, 2011 at 22:12 #

I sometimes use the little juice bottles that my local bar save for me!

20. Tandy August 14, 2011 at 16:06 #

what a great idea to keep some in the fridge 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 14, 2011 at 16:29 #

It´s a bit of a cheat´s way to turn something simple into something quite exciting with a few shakes of sauce!

21. ....RaeDi August 22, 2011 at 00:21 #

I need a bottle of that….RaeDi

22. Fired Up Cooking SA August 25, 2011 at 20:14 #

Oh wow – what a great idea! I have to make some of this, and soon. Thank you!

(I’m playing catch up on my favourite blogger’s posts tonight 🙂 )

• chicaandaluza August 25, 2011 at 21:37 #

I´m just making up a batch tonight – we use loads of it! Enjoy the catch up 🙂

23. salima aqiqah December 18, 2015 at 04:10 #

Restaurants round where I live have good, simple food. It can sometimes get a little repetitive, and often there´s no menu as they all serve pretty much the same selection of grilled meats (usually pork cuts) and some grilled or fried fish. What you get though is fresh, well cooked and tasty food. Often the meat or fish will come drizzled with a delicious garlic and parsley mixture blended with olive oil.

1. A Challenging Challenge | Chica Andaluza - August 16, 2011

[…] as it was one of the most simple things that I make but it got a huge number of hits.  It was my Salsa Verde Spanish Style.  Hopefully people are shaking it over everything from Cape Town to […]

2. Fish Baked in Salt Crust | Tales of Ambrosia - August 21, 2011

[…] sauce made of olive oil, herbs, garlic, and lemon. Another great and delicious idea is to use a Salsa Verde recipe, which you can find in one of my favorite blogs –  Chica Andaluza . So go to this amazing […]

3. Spanish chica | Keglerscorner - September 8, 2011

[…] Salsa Verde Spanish Style | Chica Andaluza […]

4. Squid with Garlic, Lemon and Parsley and a “How To” « Chica Andaluza - January 10, 2012

[…] from the heat when done and either drizzle with salsa verde and lemon juice, or add some finely chopped parsley, garlic and lemon juice.  Serve with plenty of […]

5. Roasted Vegetable & Tuna Salad – For when you´ve been having waaaaay too much fun « Chica Andaluza - October 1, 2012

[…] it´s all cooked over coals as you wait. Delicious grilled fillets of pork sprinkled with a type of salsa verde, pinchitos (little pork kebabs), jamon and cheese, braised goat and some grilled prawns. Of course, […]

6. Griddled Aubergines with Salsa Verde and Tomatoes | Chica Andaluza - June 16, 2015

[…] salsa verde (Spanish style) or just make up a mix of fresh olive oil with some finely chopped garlic, herbs and a pinch of […]