Vegetable Fried Rice

31 Aug

Crispy and Vegetable-y

With the hot weather we´ve been having, the desire to cook has been low.  But…a girl and her Big Man have to eat, so the other night we decided on some grilled langoustines with some vegetable fried rice to accompany it.  Fried rice is an alien concept to most Spaniards, so Big Man had visions of me deep frying individual grains of rice or making some sort of croquette.

To his relief, and mine (due to the heat), it was a simple dish with only the smallest amount of oil and frying involved.

I boiled some rice (I used brown, but the choice is yours).  While this was cooking I fried a finely chopped onion and two crushed cloves of garlic in a very small amount of oil in a non stick pan until it started to look brown at the edges.  Then I added finely chopped courgette and a long thin green pepper and continued to stir fry them.

In a separate pan I made the thinnest omelette known to man!  Whisk one egg and pour into a lightly oiled pan- almost as if you were making a crêpe – and make a very thin omelette.  Flip it over to get both sides lightly browned and slide onto a plate to cool a little.

When the rice is cooked, drain well and add to the vegetables.  There´s no need to add more oil if you have a good pan as you will now almost dry fry it.  Season with salt and pepper and every few minutes give it a stir until the rice starts to brown.

Are those prawns ready yet?!

Roll up the world´s thinnest omelette and cut it into fine shreds.  Sprinkle these eggy shreds over the top of your rice, mix gently and serve.

39 Responses to “Vegetable Fried Rice”

1. Tandy August 31, 2011 at 10:11 #

this sounds perfect for the prawns and something I have never tried before!

2. chaiselongue1 August 31, 2011 at 10:27 #

That looks delicious and must have been just right with the langoustines. This hot weather leads to invention, dishes that don’t add too much to the heat! I’ll be sorry when summer’s over, but even so will enjoy making stews and roasted dishes again.

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 13:41 #

It was a good combination. I know what you mean – I´ll miss the summer as I like the heat, but am looking forward to autumn and a change in food and cooking style.

3. realfunfood August 31, 2011 at 10:31 #

This looks so good! I love a simple fried rice. Your blog is so pretty 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 13:42 #

Well thank you very much for your kind words! Glad you liked what you saw and hope you come back again soon to visit again.

4. thecompletecookbook August 31, 2011 at 10:31 #

LOVE fried rice but hardly ever make it – not one of Pete’s favourites – think I should revisit the idea! Yours looks delicious.
    Have a happy day.

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 13:43 #

Maybe you could make up a little portion with some leftovers just for you 🙂

5. Mad Dog August 31, 2011 at 12:16 #

That made me feel hungry – I’ve got a craving for soy sauce now.

6. Fired Up Cooking SA August 31, 2011 at 13:12 #

Now this I have to try – it looks and sounds amazing! Thank you for the detailed instructions, they’re great; I have some cooked rice in my fridge at the moment, so this will be for supper tonight!!! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 13:44 #

You´re already half way there then with the recipe! Just chuck in whatever takes your fancy (and what you have in the fridge). Enjoy your supper 🙂

7. florence and freddie August 31, 2011 at 14:02 #

Hi Chica. Love fried rice but very rarely make it. This looks so yummy. Will be making this for supper tonight. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards Florence x

8. Linda August 31, 2011 at 15:31 #

I always get so inspired by the many posts I read and this one sparked my interest to make fried rice! I definitely didn’t have this growing up in an Italian family! But I love your healthy version and a great weeknight meal!

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 15:43 #

We didn´t get to eat it very often either – maybe on special occasions when Papá went out for a Chinese takeaway! Can recommend it, even without anything on the side it´s great.

9. gardenfreshtomatoes August 31, 2011 at 15:59 #

Wow, we were just talking over dinner last night about the ‘how-to’s’ of fried rice. Wish I hadn’t tossed the leftover garlic rice now…

10. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 31, 2011 at 16:09 #

What a great dinner! I would’ve liked to eaten the thinnest omelette known to man too.

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 17:06 #

I did find myself thinking “if I used a really, really big pan I could make this even thinner”!

11. ChgoJohn August 31, 2011 at 16:57 #

You’re right. This would make a tasty meal on one of those too-hot-to-cook days. And i isn;t that hard to make. I don’t know why I only have it when I order Chinese food. I hope this post spurs me into trying to make it for myself.

• ChgoJohn August 31, 2011 at 17:00 #

Sorry … And it isn’t that hard to make. (I just wish I could type.)

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 17:06 #

I only ever used to order it…but now the nearest chinese restaurant is a two hour round trip away…!

12. ceciliag August 31, 2011 at 17:20 #

Of course, that is what I wanted to make for dinner tonight! Thank you.. My only problem is rice, i am hopeless with the rice! but i shall perservere.. c

• chicaandaluza August 31, 2011 at 21:13 #

It doesn´t matter too much if you over cook it to start with as it will dry out in the frying!

13. JamieAnne September 1, 2011 at 00:07 #

This looks yummy! I love fried rice!

• chicaandaluza September 1, 2011 at 09:42 #

Seems like a lot of people do but we rarely make it…hopefully more of us will be giving it a go again!

14. Bluejellybeans September 1, 2011 at 01:13 #

¡Mmmm! qué pinta tan buena. Esta receta seguro que la hago muy pronto, a mis niños les encanta el arroz tres delicias y este promete ser la bomba!
    Un saludo

15. ....RaeDi September 1, 2011 at 02:25 #

What a beautiful dish, I love fried rice and there are so many variations! This is a good one, we haven’t had fried rice in a long time, guess we’ll be having some soon! ….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza September 1, 2011 at 09:43 #

Same here…can´t remember the last time I made it (before this one) and I don´t know why as it´s so easy!

16. Michi September 1, 2011 at 12:07 #

Mmmmmm I love veggie fried rice! An easy rice recipe I make is a sort of curry rice. While the rice is boiling in water, I add two teaspoons of curry, and a pinch of salt. Then I lightly stir-fry it with some celery, zucchini (courgette?) and/or green beans and peas. When it’s done, I’ll throw in the optional chopped raisins and almonds. Delicious! 😉

17. ambrosiana September 1, 2011 at 20:57 #

It is also been so hot in Rome!! I totally love this recipe, specially the fact you used brown rice. It certainly makes the dish richer!! The courgette and green peppers just add that freshness to balance the dish!! Simply delicious!!! Brava!!!

• chicaandaluza September 1, 2011 at 23:26 #

Am trying to use more brown rice as I know it´s good for us!

18. Karen September 2, 2011 at 15:36 #

Rice is such a great dish to serve with seafood. I think it was so funny about what Big Man’s vision of fried rice would be.

• chicaandaluza September 2, 2011 at 17:07 #

I know, bless him. Sometimes I talk about things which are perfectly normal to me and he looks at me as though I´m bonkers 🙂

19. thefooddoctor September 4, 2011 at 08:52 #

In one word..YUM
    I love fried rice..in fact I really love expirementing with rice dishes alot..add different vegetables and different spices and you have a new meal every time

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 10:31 #

I also like it cold the next day – or is that just because I am a bit weird?!