Pickled Chilies, Fridge Chilies, Dried Chilies, Chilly Chilies

9 Sep

Can you guess what this post is about? There´s a small hint in the title…

Yes, I am a complete chili addict.  I love things hot and spicy, but I know that not everyone else does.  Big Man has gradually increased his “heat tolerance” over the last few years, but he´s still got a way to go before he catches up with me.  A way around this is to grow your own chilies and then use them as you like.  They´re hard to buy here, Spain is not typically a nation of spicy food lovers.

Most of the chilies ripen at around the same time.  We planted late this year, so ours are all starting to turn red or orange (some are picked green) in early September. When you have this glut of chilies, you have to do something with them to keep them for the year ahead.

Chili Heaven

The simplest methods are (apart from eating them fresh), to freeze them or dry them.  Last year I planted long thin green chilies, some stubby orange ones, and the fiery cayennes.  You can see them in the photo.  If anyone wants seeds, please let me know and I´d be happy to mail them to you…honestly, if you have the weather for growing them they should do well.

This year I also planted some that a neighbour gave me (I don´t have a photo as they are not ripe yet) of some super fiery pinky red chilies that look like little balls or rose hips when they are mature.  If anyone knows what they might be, I´d love to know.

Some of my chilies I pickle and I followed the guidelines in Olives and Artichokes post here.  I used mustard seeds and peppercorns in this particular jar, but am going to enjoy playing around with spices and pickles over the next few weeks.

And a final way, which may be new to you, is my mum´s refrigerator chili preserve (for want of a better name) which keeps for a month or two and is for dedicated chili lovers who enjoy spooning spicy fresh chilies over anything and everything.  Cut your chilies finely, scissors help with this as they help avoid nasty incidents with chili fingers in eyes.  Put them into a sterilised jar (recently out of the dishwasher is good). Cover the chilies with oil (I use olive oil but any oil will do) and soya sauce (about 8 oil to 1 soya).  Keep in the fridge, shake before serving, and enjoy the buzz!

We are off on holiday tomorrow (yay!) for a week – looking forward to catching up on all your posts and comments when we´re back.  ¡Hasta luego!

45 Responses to “Pickled Chilies, Fridge Chilies, Dried Chilies, Chilly Chilies”

1. sportsglutton September 9, 2011 at 13:57 #

I love spices and spicy foods myself. Since peppers are available to us pretty much year round I never thought about pickling them, but with are garden fully of hot peppers right now might have to give this a whirl. Also if you like Harissa you might enjoy my wife’s recipe: http://craftyglutton.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/crafty-harissa/

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 15:43 #

You lucky thing – when i lived in London I never had to think about where I could get my next “fix”…now I have to plan ahead!

2. Mad Dog September 9, 2011 at 14:08 #

I love chilies – I wish I had a garden to grow them in. Have a great trip – hasta pronto!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 15:43 #

They grow quite well in pots – not to the same height as in the garden, but not too bad. Thanks for the good wishes…am so looking forward to this trip!

3. ChgoJohn September 9, 2011 at 15:11 #

This is one time that you shan’t tempt me to follow your lead. I like a little spice to my food but not nearly enough to can chilis or use them to infuse oil. I’ve considered growing my own, however, because my parrot loves chilis, the hotter the better, and it’s one sure way of giving her organic food. Never mind her. I really stopped by to wish you a great holiday! Get some rest, eat well, and enjoy yourselves!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 15:45 #

I love that your parrot eats chilies! My chickens do sometimes (inadvertently) – can be quite explosive! Thanks for your kind words and looking forward to catching up with your posts later in the week.

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 9, 2011 at 15:43 #

Have a great holiday! These look fantastic. I dry mine, but haven’t tried pickling and really should.

5. thecompletecookbook September 9, 2011 at 16:13 #

Even if just for visual pleasure, chilli plants always prettify a garden.
    Have a fantastic holiday and looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:50 #

That´s true . they are very pretty! Thanks for your good wishes 🙂

6. Tandy September 9, 2011 at 16:59 #

Have you tried putting some chillies in vodka? or even some sherry for a dressing for food? Have a super duper holiday 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:50 #

Forgot about chilli vodka – must do some of that and I like the idea of a chilli/sherry dressing. Thanks!

7. JamieAnne September 9, 2011 at 17:12 #

Have a wonderful holiday!!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:51 #

Thank you – I should be packing right now!

8. serenityinthestorm September 9, 2011 at 17:24 #

I love this! Thanks! I just did a chili post today, too. I guess it’s the season 😉 http://serenityinthestorm.com/2011/09/09/roasted-green-chile/

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:53 #

I just checked out your post – your godparents sound great!

• serenityinthestorm September 9, 2011 at 19:50 #

they are! thanks for reading and thanks for posting! 🙂

9. Fired Up Cooking SA September 9, 2011 at 17:51 #

These are such good ways to use a good crop of of chillies! We can buy chillies, green and red, easily here in Kwazulunatal, and they always go off before I finish them. Thanks for these great ideas 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:54 #

Lucky, lucky you – but yes, you don´t need many so it takes a while to get through them…

10. Rachel September 9, 2011 at 18:28 #

Wow… you can have mine! I don’t do that kind of heat… for some reason it just doesn’t make me happy at *all*. But it sure is pretty in your photos! Enjoy!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:55 #

No, they´re not for everyone – I am a bit of an addict though 🙂

11. Karen September 9, 2011 at 18:36 #

Your chilis sound great preserved that way. I have been keeping mine in the freezer and will give your method a try. The flavorful oil will be great also. I know that you will have a lovely holiday and can’t wait for you to return. I know you will have beautiful photos for us to see. Have fun.

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 18:55 #

Ah thanks for your kind words. Am planning on taking plenty of photos! I put some of my chilis in the freezer too – great in cooking.

12. spicegirlfla September 9, 2011 at 19:36 #

Mmm… I’m right there with you on Hot and Spicy!! And I definitely need to try your mum’s chili preserves! I can think of a ton of ideas to top that on!! Have a wonderful trip!!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 20:03 #

A fellow chili eater – and thanks for the good wishes!

13. ceciliag September 9, 2011 at 19:39 #

I know about accidents. I would not tell just anyone this but I am sure you will be kind. I cut up a jalapeno for dinner the other day, it was a hot day,afterwards I stood at the sink and washed my hands then without any thought at all, i cupped my hands under the cold water and wiped my WHOLE face with the cold water.. Oh Dear! really OH DEAR! .. I have now developed an arachnaphobic sized terror of the evil chilli! have a lovely holiday.. come back soon.. c

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 20:04 #

Oh dear, I hope you forgive the evil chilli soon…this comes from a woman who chopped a chilli once and then put her contact lenses in (only one, obviously as my eye was on fire)!!

• ceciliag September 9, 2011 at 20:32 #

Oh NO, that is awful i literally gasped in horror.. and yet you recovered your love of the evil chilli.. there is hope.. c

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 21:47 #

😉 I recovered!

14. ambrosiana September 9, 2011 at 21:05 #

Great post on chilies Chica, and very helpful since my knowledge of chilies is ZERO!! Have a great holiday and have lots of fun!!!

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 21:47 #

If I can do a post half as good as any of your travel posts I´ll be very happy!

15. TBM September 10, 2011 at 18:36 #

My mouth is watering. I love hot and spicy. So good. Enjoy your holiday!

16. Christina September 10, 2011 at 21:40 #

I am definitely a spicy food lover! I really need to plant some chilies next year. I have dried chilies before but never pickled them…I need to get on that! 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 14, 2011 at 18:14 #

They really are very easy to grow (if you have the temperature) and look so pretty!

17. gardenfreshtomatoes September 10, 2011 at 21:53 #

Hope you’re having a wonderful vacation, Tanya!
    One more chili suggestion – jelly! Sweet AND hot, and great with cheese… I haven’t made it myself, but I’ve had some really good ones from some small local producers… I’ll scout around for a recipe.

• chicaandaluza September 14, 2011 at 18:15 #

Having fun despite grey damp weather 😦 Love the idea of chili jelly – would love to give that a try!

18. Christine Hamaty Hughes September 11, 2011 at 15:04 #

I just thought of you because I just posted a recipe for Fresh Salsa with Cilantro. Some of these chiles would taste great in there pre-pickled. Also, I’m sure you have a tomato tree with fresh tomatoes, but I’m not sure if you grow cilantro or coriander. I use one bunch of cilantro for the salsa. You can never have too much cilantro! 🙂
    Have a great week!

• chicaandaluza September 14, 2011 at 18:17 #

Ohh – fresh salsa with cilantro, sounds greats. I am a huge cilantro fan although my growing season didn´t last too long this year (not sure why). Will check out your recipe!

19. chaiselongue1 September 11, 2011 at 23:14 #

Oh, these sound much to hot for me….I prefer paprika peppers rather than chillies, but I’m glad my pickling ideas helped!

20. Ashley@bakerbynature September 12, 2011 at 03:40 #

I love the heat of chilies, but I’m guilty of just using crushed red pepper and tabasco to spice things up!

• chicaandaluza September 14, 2011 at 18:27 #

Nothing wrong with that! I grow mine because it´s hard to buy them here!

21. thefooddoctor September 15, 2011 at 22:14 #

I hope you’re having a wonderful vacation Tanya 🙂

22. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 12:40 #

it’s a happines holiday .so wonderful

1. It´s Getting Chilli in the Garden | Chica Andaluza - October 30, 2011

[…] is about two thirds of the crop, the rest have already been pickled, frozen, dried or made into sweet chilli dipping sauce.  Check out this amazing recipe from Natalie at Cook Eat […]