Amazing Asturias – Part One

5 Oct

Looking back over our photos of our recent holiday in Galicia and Asturias, I found it hard to pick just a few photos to share with you.  So….even though I left most of them back on my PC, I still have plenty of beautiful sights to tell you about.

We drove the 400km or so from our hotel in Galicias to our base in Asturias over the course of a day.  First we stopped in the beautiful seaside village of Cudillero for lunch where we ate our amazing Fabes con Almejas.  The village houses appear to be built on top of each other, clinging onto the cliffs, and painted in beautiful colours.

Our hotel ended up being a one bedroom apartment, which was great as we were there for 4 nights, right in the centre of a seaside town called Ribadesella (which translates as the bank of the River Sella).

We had a fantastic view of an old Hermitage from our bedroom window.

And to the right of it there was an amazing house, with the sea right behind it.

The next day we put on our walking boots and packed a picnic to head up into the mountains.  The weather didn´t bode well, but we pressed on to Covadonga to see the Basilica.

The clouds started to get lower, all very beautiful and atmospheric, but not really what we had hoped for.

We started the long, slow, drive up the twisting road to the lakes, and the fog came down.

Gorgeous View!

When we reached the lakes this is what we could see!

Time to get back in the car...

Walks were forbidden, there was no visibility so we made our way back down the mountain and through a village called Cangas de Onis where there is a Roman bridge.  Because of the weather, it seemed everyone else had had the same idea and we couldn´t park, so we took a quick photo from the car window instead.

High speed photography

Finally we turned off the main road to find a perfect picnic spot from where we chomped away on our Empanadas and Bollos Preñaos, looked at the cows and watched the kayakers.

Back at our hotel, we were determined to take at least a little walk as we were still all dressed up in our proper boots, so we took a stroll on our little beach, battling with the wind as we went on our way.

Finally, a hot shower and a walk into the centre of Ribadesella.

Followed by a well deserved drink and dinner at Casa Juanito in the main square.

We spent a wonderful day with some of Big Man´s huge family, stopping first to pick up his aunt and uncle in a town called Salinas.  It  has an amazing sea front walk with an outdoor museum of anchors from all over the world.  The walk ends with a spectacular view out to sea.

One of the family has an Hórreo in their garden – these are ancient storage areas (now preserved and highly valued) made of stone or wood and on raised legs.  Couldn´t resist taking some snaps, even though the lady of the house was embarrassed about her washing hanging up to dry underneath!

So….still more to come from our last day in Asturias and our stop in Salamanca on the way home.  Enough for today though, we´ve covered quite a few miles together already.

43 Responses to “Amazing Asturias – Part One”

1. chaiselongue1 October 5, 2011 at 18:19 #

Pity about the mist, but when you could see the views look amazing. The Horreo is beautiful and looks like an useful structure for storage and washing lines. I’m looking forward to Salamanca too!

• chicaandaluza October 5, 2011 at 18:44 #

We didn´t have great luck with the weather, but apart from stopping our walk, we didn´t let it stop us having fun! One of Big Man´s relations has completely rebuilt an Horreo in a house he is restoring – I´d love one!

2. ambrosiana October 5, 2011 at 18:39 #

This area of Spain looks amazing! Love the colorful towns and beautiful houses! I know what you mean when you take so many pictures, you do not know which one to choose from…that’s a hard task!! What is fabulous about your journey is that you had mountains and seaside so close!! And the Bascilica of Covadonga picture is amazing with the low clouds…so fascinating!!!

• chicaandaluza October 5, 2011 at 18:45 #

It was so very different fromn Andalucia – rather like the enormous differences between the north and south of Italy. Covadonga Basilicia was lovely inside – very peaceful.

3. Caroline October 5, 2011 at 18:41 #

Gorgeous photos! Those views are unreal. Looks like you had a great time. Wish I could take a trip there right now.

• chicaandaluza October 5, 2011 at 18:45 #

We were so lucky (despite the weather!) and it was such an incredible trip!

4. JamieAnne October 5, 2011 at 19:19 #

Beautiful! Looks like a lovely trip, despite the fog and wind. I love the beautiful buildings!

• chicaandaluza October 5, 2011 at 19:21 #

We didn´t let it get us down – and there were some amazing buildings to see!

5. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide October 5, 2011 at 19:26 #

I love the bust on the rocks overlooking the ocean. What great photos and it looks like a spectacular time.

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:01 #

Thanks Greg – I loved that too. There was a feel of “the end of the earth” to that spot!

6. nuvofelt October 5, 2011 at 19:34 #

The weather certainly added atmosphere to your journeys! These are great photos

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:01 #

It was certainly atmospheric and as a Brit, I´m used to bad weather on holiday!

7. tedgriffith October 5, 2011 at 20:24 #

What a wonderful tour! Thanks for sharing it. 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:02 #

You´re welcome, and thanks for stopping by 🙂

8. ceciliag October 5, 2011 at 21:50 #

Oh My, that little village with its water entrance, that was great and the fog coming down to the spires of the church.. wow.. Oh now I am feeling the envy again!

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:05 #

In some ways the weather added atmosphere, and we were relaxed, on holiday, together and happy!

9. gardenfreshtomatoes October 5, 2011 at 22:22 #

This is beautiful!
    Can’t wait for part 2…
    Do you know anything about that bronze bust that looks like it’s growing out of the rock?

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:07 #

The open air museum was designed by Phillipe Cousteau (son of Jacques) so not sure if it was a tribute to his father or perhaps Neptune, Ancient God of the Sea….looked more of a Neptune to me. Will try to find out!

10. sportsglutton October 6, 2011 at 00:23 #

Thanks for sharing the great photos. Just wish the image of the cows watching the kayakers was closer…yes I like cows. 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 09:08 #

I agree, I didn´t zoom in enough as I wanted the “panorama”. I like cows too – we don´t have them down here in the south of Spain, so I felt like I was back in England seeing so many of them in the north!

11. Tandy October 6, 2011 at 07:36 #

I love that Roman bridge!

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 08:59 #

It looked even better when it wasn´t blurred!

12. Bluejellybeans October 6, 2011 at 10:29 #

These are so beautiful Tanya! Asturias es muy bonita. Me ha encantado la basílica de Covadonga y el hórreo. Great job! 😉

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 10:45 #

Gracias – I couldn´t decide what to put in and what to leave out, it was all so lovely!

13. thecompletecookbook October 6, 2011 at 13:31 #

Wow, what beauty – if this is how magnificent it looks in the photographs, I can only imagine how picturesque every thing was for real!
    Looking forward to part 2.
    Happy Thursday.

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 14:56 #

It´s true – my photos don´t really do the reality justice! Thanks Mandy 🙂

14. Mad Dog October 6, 2011 at 19:19 #

Asturias looks amazing – I’ll get there one day 😉

• chicaandaluza October 6, 2011 at 19:37 #

I had to wait a while too before I eventually got there….!

15. ChgoJohn October 7, 2011 at 06:24 #

This looks simply beautiful! Your comment about houses that appear to be atop each other and clinging to the cliffs reminds me of so many coastal villages along the Costa del Sol, the French Riviera, Amalfi, the Greek islands. The mistake many make is to assume that they are all alike. As you very well know, each village is unique and well worth taking the time to discover. Thank you, Tanya, for showing me a bit of Spain that I knew nothing about and for bringing to mind some wonderful memories.

• chicaandaluza October 7, 2011 at 09:35 #

You´re right – I first thought “Amalfi” when Big Man told me about it – but although similar it´s different and has its own unique beauty. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

16. Michi October 9, 2011 at 22:54 #

Ooh, I absolutely cannot wait to visit Northern Spain!

17. spicegirlfla October 11, 2011 at 16:45 #

Tanya, your photos are my dream getaways!! Even with the fog it seems like a perfect little trip! The first photo with the stacked houses is so captivating and the Basilica so breathtaking! One of these days…

• chicaandaluza October 15, 2011 at 16:09 #

We had such fun – even the weather didn´t stop us having fun! I do hope that “one day” you do indeed get to make a similar trip 🙂

18. foodblogandthedog October 12, 2011 at 16:16 #

I can’t believe how different the weather is up there! I definitely would love to go when it’s too hot here and breathe in all that fresh greenness! I’m loving October here in Andalucia at the moment though, it’s perfect we’re so lucky don’t you think?

• chicaandaluza October 15, 2011 at 16:31 #

Autumn is wonderful here and it´s just lovely at the moment. You´re right, we are so lucky. It was quite nice to feel a bit “chilly” for a few days!

19. thefooddoctor October 13, 2011 at 09:16 #

sorry about the fog but it seems the rest of your day was amazing!
    I am loving all the pictures! please share as many as you can

• chicaandaluza October 15, 2011 at 16:27 #

It sort of added to the atmosphere, and you can see we didn´t let it stop us having fun (or food)!

20. Fired Up Cooking SA October 24, 2011 at 13:10 #

Chica, I had no idea Spain was so beautiful!!! Your photos really do the scenery justice too. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 25, 2011 at 21:49 #

I´m so lucky to live in such a fabulous country…and still so much to see! So glad you enjoyed 🙂

1. Arroz Caldoso con Cangrejo – or Holidays, Romance and Crabs | Chica Andaluza - February 7, 2015

[…] way back when may recall a trip we made a few years back to the north of Spain. To Galicia and Asturias more precisely. An insanely beautiful part of the country, lush and green. Lush and green because, […]