Green Summer Vegetable and Chicken Casserole

18 Oct

Now that we are starting to have a little drop in temperatures during the day, and a nip in the air first thing in the morning and last thing at night, we know that autumn is just around the corner.  While this means saying a gradual farewell to summer, it also means an autumnal welcome to the next season and the food and change in cooking it brings.

Off out for a busy morning and knowing I was not going to be in the house while it was still relatively warm, prompted me to cook the first casserole for a long time.  We came home to delicious chicken, vegetable and brothy smells and apart from opening the wine and grabbing the loaf of bread left for us earlier that morning on the gate by Bread Man, there was nothing more for us to do other than set the table and enjoy lunch.

The dish was a celebration of almost the last of many of our summer vegetables.  The bobby (french) beans finally started producing yellow as well as green beans, with kilos of them stored in the freezer for the months ahead.  The green peppers are still doing well, we´ll see how much longer they last.  Our onions have dried out nicely and are sweet and delicious and I had been hoarding the last handful of potatoes we had left from our first ever potato crop.

Into a big pot went two large legs (drumstick and thigh) of our free range chicken, some chopped peeled potatoes, large chunks of courgette given to us by a neighbour along with some whole unpeeled garlic cloves.  A few chopped green peppers, a roughly chopped onion, a few handfuls of green beans and some seasoning finished off the ingredients.  I covered everything with water and bought it to the boil then put a lid on the pot which then went into a very low oven for about 5 hours. You could, of course, cook it much more quickly on the stove top with equally good results if you´re not off out shopping for the morning!

And that was it…memories of summer and anticipation of autumn all in one delicious bowlful.

Am off to London to visit my family tomorrow for a week.  Will try to keep up with all your lovely blogs and posts, but apologies if I can´t always comment.  Looking forward to a proper catch up when I return!

41 Responses to “Green Summer Vegetable and Chicken Casserole”

1. Tandy October 18, 2011 at 10:15 #

have a super time with your family, and come back with lots of lovely goodies!

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 12:07 #

Thanks Tandy – am looking forward to stocking up on some kitchen goodies!

2. Christine Hughes October 18, 2011 at 10:21 #

I would love to try this in the slow cooker! I’m doing Chicken Cacciatore in the slow cooker today! It’s Crock Pot season and I am looking forward to easier meals with a baby due in December! Thank you Chica Andaluza!

Christine

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 15:11 #

I think this would work perfectly in the slow cooker. Don´t have one (yet!). Hope the Cacciatore turned out well…look forward to reading about it!

3. Mad Dog October 18, 2011 at 11:36 #

Lovely casserole – I’m going back to London on Thursday, give me a shout if you’d like to meet for a coffee over the weekend or beginning of next week.

4. Florence October 18, 2011 at 12:53 #

Yep, that time has come for all that comforting eating! Fab casserole. Have a great time in London.
    Hugs and kisses to Ma and Pa.
    Regards Florence x

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 13:18 #

It was very, very tasty! Will pass on your good wishes to the parents. Take care x

5. gardenfreshtomatoes October 18, 2011 at 13:00 #

Nice ‘bridge’ recipe – not quite autumnal, but a little heartier than summer fare…
    Have fun with the family!

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 13:17 #

You´re right – not quite a hearty casserole, but warming! Thanks for the good wishes 🙂

6. ChgoJohn October 18, 2011 at 15:22 #

What a great dish! Casserole season is beginning and this is a good one to kick it off. Have a wonderful visit with your family. Safe travels, Tanya.

7. JamieAnne October 18, 2011 at 16:03 #

Oh! Lovely soup/casserole!

Enjoy your trip!

8. TheDorsetFinca October 18, 2011 at 16:18 #

Pack something warm! The UK is in for a cold spell over the weekend! 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 17:30 #

I´ve been warned…the boots are ready with the woolly socks!

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide October 18, 2011 at 18:10 #

Have a great time in London!

10. foodblogandthedog October 18, 2011 at 18:44 #

This sounds delicious, I love the whole “throw in what we’ve got and make it gorgoeus” style of cooking. I’m jealous of all your veg… and your trip to London. Say hello from me and have fun!!

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 21:14 #

Make do and mend…as my granny used to say! Am so excited about my trip as I haven´t seen my parents for 6 months 😦

11. spicegirlfla October 18, 2011 at 19:30 #

I love the idea of coming home to a dinner all ready to sit down and eat!! With all your fresh ingredients, including the chicken, this must have been so good! I wish our weather would begin to cool a bit so I can start making these casseroles!!

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 21:15 #

It was lovely..we could smell it cooking as we walked in! It´s not REALLY cool enough yet for casseroles yet, but the temperatures are dropping now.

12. ceciliag October 18, 2011 at 19:50 #

Lovely casserole, i posted a shot of my dress makers dummy for you today, but maybe you are already gone. Have a great time in Dirty Old London, one of my favourite cities! c

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 21:16 #

Ooh, am still here..will pop over now and have a look! Can´t wait for my week in the grime and dirty ole streets!!

13. thecompletecookbook October 18, 2011 at 22:00 #

What a lovely meal Tanya!
    Have a fantastic time visiting with family and stocking up on all the nice goodies you can’t get in Spain!
    See you when you get back.

• chicaandaluza October 18, 2011 at 22:19 #

Thanks Mandy – feel like a kid going on a school journey …am that excited!

14. DyannT October 18, 2011 at 23:28 #

Hi Tanya, We’re just finishing our casserole seasons, but this looks yummy enough for a last fling of winter warmth. I have to now start thinking of how many ways to serve up lettuce that has self-seeded all over the garden.
    Luuuuuucky you, going to London.
    Diane from Down-under.:-)

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:46 #

Hi Diane – so good to be in London catching up with family & friends! Do enjoy the casserole if you make it, but you can now enjoy spring and summer dishes! Take care, Tanya

15. Christina October 19, 2011 at 05:34 #

Have a great time in London! My husband and I went there a few years ago and had a blast! 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:46 #

It´s great – if a little cold. Back in my “home town” again!

16. thefooddoctor October 19, 2011 at 08:28 #

This sounds like comfort food at its best!
    Have a safe trip Tanya 🙂 we will miss you till you come back

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:46 #

Aaah thanks – am having fun, but home next week 🙂

17. Bluejellybeans October 19, 2011 at 14:50 #

Very nice recipe Tanya! Have fun in London 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:47 #

Gracias! Am having a lovely time – very hectic!

18. sportsglutton October 20, 2011 at 01:12 #

Safe travels!

19. Caroline October 20, 2011 at 19:26 #

The weather is definitely cooling down here in California, which is shocking. I’m sure it won’t last long though. This is a great way to use up the last of your veggies. Looks delicious! Have a lovely time in London…I’m very jealous. 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:52 #

Unusual for California I think? Thanks for your kind words – am having a ball in London (exhausting though!).

20. zestybeandog October 21, 2011 at 01:19 #

Looks wonderful!

21. Karen October 26, 2011 at 21:24 #

Enjoy visiting family and friends. I just caught up with all your posts that I missed while traveling in Europe. I enjoyed reading about your travels as well…lovely places to visit. The photos were great.

• chicaandaluza October 28, 2011 at 13:31 #