Feeling Fishy

22 Nov

Finger Lickin´Good!

Fish Man took a week off recently and oh how we missed him!  Fortunately, he came back refreshed and with a van packed full of gorgeous things for us to enjoy.

After our enforced fish free week, I went a bit mad, and bought some tiny little crabs and a large fillet of rosada (a firm white fish) for us to enjoy.

The crabs were simple to deal with – a good rinse then plunged into boiling, salted water.  You need to be quite heavy handed with the salt as they are usually cooked in sea water. In the absence of this up our mountain, a little extra salt goes a long way.  After about two minutes they will turn a darker pink colour, drain them and then put into a bowl of iced water to stop them cooking further.  It´s the same process that you would use for cooking prawns.

Eeek....

These were then chilled and served as a starter with alioli and lemons.  It looks like a huge portion, but there is not a lot of meat inside these little critters.  The fun is in chomping, slurping and licking your fingers!

The rosada was treated equally simply.  I sautéed red peppers with onions and courgettes until soft, lay the fish fillets over the top and seasoned everything.  After covering the pan with a lid I let them cook through gently for about five minutes (until they were no longer opaque), then squeezed plenty of lemon juice over.

Fabulous FIsh

Healthy, light and delicious…all we needed was the sound of the waves lapping against the shore.

43 Responses to “Feeling Fishy”

1. thecompletecookbook November 22, 2011 at 10:52 #

Simply sensational Tanya!

2. fati's recipes November 22, 2011 at 11:13 #

PLEASE invite me over for lunch! 😀 YUM! I’d need you to do all the hard crabby work for me though! You know it took me a few seconds to realise that the sieve you have is like my aunty’s… she got hers from Ikea 😀

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 13:26 #

I´d love to have you over for lunch…and I´d do all the “crabby” work for you 🙂 My sieve came from good old Ikea too – I love it, it fits over the sink!

3. Food,Photography & France November 22, 2011 at 11:26 #

You truly know how to eat – so refreshing to see the simplicity of truly good food. Wonderful

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 13:27 #

Thanks Roger – good ingredients mostly don´t need too much messing around with!

4. Mad Dog November 22, 2011 at 12:05 #

That looks so good – perhaps I can find some in the Boqueria tomorrow 😉

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 13:27 #

I bet you find all sorts of wonderful things….looking forward to hearing about your trip!

5. Lauren (Spanish Sabores) November 22, 2011 at 12:22 #

Gotta love the fish Man! I’ve never had those little crabs here though… I’m going to have to find them!

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 13:29 #

We´re lucky with Fish Man…you just never know what he´s going to sprurise us with! Hope you manage to track them down.

6. LaMonique November 22, 2011 at 15:05 #

Those crabs looks so tasty! I want some 🙂

7. ChgoJohn November 22, 2011 at 15:05 #

Wow, Tanya! That was some dinner that you served up! And “fabulous” is about the only way to describe the way you prepared that fish. I have to find me a Fish Man.

8. Rosemary Mullally November 22, 2011 at 15:10 #

Just wonderful!

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 15:21 #

Thank you – I bet you have pretty similar meals where you are too 🙂

9. spicegirlfla November 22, 2011 at 15:17 #

Wow…look at that platter of fish! Nothing can compare with that freshness! I love how you prepared it and the side of peppers and zuchinni… Totally yum!!

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 15:27 #

We´re lucky…Fish Man goes to the market in Malaga early in the morning for the catch from the night before and it´s being eaten by us at lunch time!

10. TheDorsetFinca November 22, 2011 at 16:41 #

All looks soooo delicious!

11. gardenfreshtomatoes November 22, 2011 at 18:00 #

Mmmm, crab boil! I’m on the way over, what should I bring?

12. chaiselongue1 November 22, 2011 at 18:11 #

What a delicious looking crabby lunch! That must have made up for your fish man’s week off. And the fiddly finger-licking makes it even tastier.

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 18:23 #

The fiddly finger licking is the best part – I love inter active food!

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide November 22, 2011 at 18:27 #

This is fantastic. You know we hauled shrimp back from New Orleans. Just have to. I love the idea of a salt bath. And these are just making me want seafood! Great photos.

• Chica Andaluza November 22, 2011 at 19:05 #

Aah – thanks Greg! I wanted to bring Dublin Bay prawns back from Dublin last year…but Big Man put his foot down 😦

14. bitsandbreadcrumbs November 23, 2011 at 03:50 #

Fresh fish and seafood…so jealous!

• Chica Andaluza November 23, 2011 at 09:18 #

We´re spoilt here…but there are plenty of lovely things that we can´t get too 😦

15. TBM November 23, 2011 at 09:41 #

Each day I marvel over your skill and versatility. I burned my toast this morning and all I had to do was put it in the toaster. I am not a cook, but I would love to be one.

• Chica Andaluza November 23, 2011 at 10:04 #

Aah – thanks. But you´ll see that most of my dishes are fairly simple and don´t really follow recipes!

• TBM November 23, 2011 at 10:12 #

That’s funny since I’m always thinking, “That looks hard.”

16. Tandy November 23, 2011 at 11:50 #

sadly, we don’t get crabs here as I would love to munch on them with some chilled white wine 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 23, 2011 at 12:58 #

Hopefully you got to eat lots of things like this went you went to France!

17. Karen November 23, 2011 at 20:18 #

Fresh seafood done simply is always the best as far as I am concerned. It must have been a delicious meal.

18. sportsglutton November 23, 2011 at 23:23 #

Oh my goodness…that looks like one crazy good gluttonous time! 😉

19. Rachel November 24, 2011 at 18:50 #

Oh yum — just pass me that napkin, would you please (or serviette…) Mmmm!!

• Chica Andaluza November 25, 2011 at 09:18 #

I get confused – we say both here but I think in the US a napkin is for a baby´s botty?! Either way….I´ll save you some next time!

20. thefooddoctor November 25, 2011 at 06:30 #

Wow what a feast!
    can fishman come to Jordan? Pleaaaaaaaase?

• Chica Andaluza November 25, 2011 at 09:15 #

I´m sure he´d love to – at least he wouldn´t go hungry on the way!

21. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 12:31 #

it looks so good and delicious

22. seminar ACLS August 23, 2016 at 12:16 #