Speedy Pasta with Aubergine and Tomato Sauce

29 Dec

When I lived in London my life was, as you can imagine, very different from life Up The Mountain.  For a start I had a Proper Grown Up Job. And I travelled a lot, sometimes spending weeks living out of a suitcase or briefly stopping at home for a pit stop to repack the case.  At times like this my best friends were the local take away menus.  Luckily, I lived in an area that boasted an amazing amount of pretty good quality restaurants who could get something tasty to my doorstep within about 30 minutes of me placing a call.

When I moved to Spain, it took me a while to adjust to the fact that when I didn´t feel all that much like cooking it was either Big Man´s special fried eggs, or jamon, cheese and melon to eat. The nearest take aways or delivery services are, I imagine, in a town a 45 minute drive away.

Finally I realised that I could still have something tasty to eat in about the same amount of time as it would have taken me to decide what to order from the take away menu, make the call and wait for the delivery guy to show up.

This is one of my speedy suppers.  In the time it takes for a large pot of water to come to the boil and the pasta to cook, I have a delicious sauce made to serve with my favourite pasta, plenty of grated parmesan and I even get to swig a glass of wine while it´s cooking.  Well, I need a dash of wine for the sauce.

Per person you need half an aubergine finely diced, two cloves of crushed garlic, two medium tomatoes peeled and chopped, a large slug of wine, a tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs (I used a mixture of parsley and basil), seasoning and olive oil. I also use a crushed dried chili as I like my sauce spicy, but this is up to you.

Put the pot of water on to boil and sauté the aubergine until brown.  Now add the garlic and once it is softened add the tomato and seasoning and the chili if using.  Let the tomato cook down a little by which time you will probably be ready to put the pasta into the pot.  Add your wine and herbs to the sauce and let it bubble away gently until the pasta is cooked and ready to be drained. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

The sauce is a little like the one used in Pasta alla Norma  (ChgoJohn has a fine example of it here and Linda at Savouring Every Bite here).   These recipes give you a deeper tasting, richer sauce as it´s cooked for longer. Yum!

Now all you need to do is mix the sauce into the pasta, grate or shave over plenty of your favourite cheese, pour another glass of wine and think about how you are putting the fast food delivery services out of business.

33 Responses to “Speedy Pasta with Aubergine and Tomato Sauce”

1. cookinginsens December 29, 2011 at 09:28 #

Mmmm Good!

2. Food,Photography & France December 29, 2011 at 09:29 #

I love sauces like this one – fantastically simple, yet delicious. I remember suffering a similar takeaway “withdrawal” when we moved here. Funnily enough, I recently had a takeaway in London which made me wish that I was eating a simple pasta with sauce such as the one that you describe!.

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 09:35 #

It´s so true – when I eat takeaway now in London it doesn´t give me as much pleasure as I had expected!

3. IamSimplyTia December 29, 2011 at 11:52 #

Aubergine is like (or IS) eggplant right? I think that’s what we called it in my island too. This dish looks utterly amazing! Simple and delicious. What’s not to love?

Have a fantastic day!

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 12:44 #

Yes, sometimes I forget to put both words…Eggplant and Aubergine are the same thing! Glad you liked it and have a great day too 🙂

4. Mad Dog December 29, 2011 at 12:44 #

That’s an excellent antidote to all the Christmas food 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 12:47 #

I just needed a change and something that didn´t involve 3 days in the kitchen!

5. chaiselongue1 December 29, 2011 at 13:03 #

Delicious! And this is the sort of stand-by I’ve made during the 25 years or so that I’ve been living out of take-away range….and much better than take-away food too! We use a jar of our own preserved tomatoes because we don’t buy fresh ones in winter, and this even makes the sauce taste as though it’s been cooked for longer! Your glass of wine while cooking is a great idea too!

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 13:10 #

You are very good not to buy vegetables out of season – we buy less but sometimes I can´t resist. I use my bottled tomatoes from the summer though in sauces like this which are great. And I think the glass of wine while cooking is a legal requirement isn´t it?!

6. Karen December 29, 2011 at 14:54 #

Tanya, Your photo looks like it is the front page of a magazine. Delicious to look at and tasty sounding.

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 15:17 #

Oooh – high praise indeed, especially as I am not very good with the camera! It´s a tasty, speedy dish.

7. spree December 29, 2011 at 15:49 #

Love a simple pasta like this, so free-wheeling and delicious, a handful of this, a pinch of that, a glug or two of vino, voila a perfect plate! My own Big Man would love this and I need to fix it for him soon. Thanks!

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 17:15 #

The best things often turn out that way because we “make do and mend”! Glad you liked it…

8. ChgoJohn December 29, 2011 at 16:08 #

I bet you had quite an adjustment to make when you moved to the mountain top. Sounds to me like you’ve not only adjusted but you’re thriving! Thank you for the shout-out and your pasta will definitely make an appearance on my table. It is exactly the kind of pasta I usually make for myself.

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 17:34 #

It was hard at first – apart from family and friends it´s certain foods that you miss! Glad you liked the recipe – loved yours too!

9. Megan December 29, 2011 at 17:33 #

I love how everyone has a different word for the amount of wine they use in a dish… mine is glug 🙂 Great idea for a quick and tasty dinner!

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 17:37 #

It´s true – but sometimes I slug as well as glug!

10. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 29, 2011 at 18:09 #

Just a point of correction, I need two slugs of wine and a glug and a carafe.

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 18:48 #

You forgot the “little schluck” of wine too!

11. Evie December 29, 2011 at 19:38 #

I worry about how much on the same wavelength we are! The week before Christmas The Husband ate “vegetarian food” 5 nights on the trot and only at the end of it realised what had happened! When food is this delicious (and I will be making this for him soon) who needs meat!

I hasten to add that we are avid carnivores but don’t feel the need to have meat at every meal.

He does draw the line at tofu!

• Chica Andaluza December 29, 2011 at 19:55 #

That´s us too! We eat lots of pulses in thick soups here – sometimes they have meat in but others times just veggies and Big Man often doesn´t realise we´ve had a few veggie days! Having said that I´m with you on the tofu and I do like my steak so rare it´s almost still breathing 😉

12. promenadeplantings December 29, 2011 at 21:45 #

I love reading about other people’s quick and easy recipes, we’ve just made one of ours, spaghetti with some salmon, capers and dill. A bit of a treat, but very quick and easy to make, I’m sure the aubergines were delicious!

• Chica Andaluza December 30, 2011 at 09:27 #

Now that sounds like a good one! It was unusual that I actually managed to take a snap of this as, generally, I want to eat it quickly if I´m in a hurry – you´ll have to take a snap of one of yours to share it too 🙂

13. sportsglutton December 29, 2011 at 21:46 #

Simple, quick and delicious…I do enjoy meals like this, especially with a few glasses of wine. 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 30, 2011 at 09:28 #

Perfect – and there is always time to linger a little over the wine isn´t there?!

14. ceciliag December 30, 2011 at 01:21 #

Indian takeaways though.. I miss my London indian takeaway, delivery man, i mean food.. i shall stash this recipe away until the summer when I can get these ingredients.. veges are very sad in the shops out here in the winter! And now I know about the SLUG of wine! well all good! love celi

• Chica Andaluza December 30, 2011 at 09:25 #

Oh me too – the lovely little delivery man AND the food! I lived in South London in Curry Heaven 😉

15. nancy todd December 30, 2011 at 06:34 #

I am all for speedy meals and plan to try the aubergine pasta tonight! Thanks. May pass on the pasta and just eat the veggies. Too many carbs during the holidays.

• Chica Andaluza December 30, 2011 at 09:25 #

Ooh good idea – would be lovely just on its own. Hope you enjoy it!

16. thecompletecookbook December 30, 2011 at 08:12 #

Nothing more satisfying that a quick and flavourful meal like this Tanya – delicious!
    I always have to add just that extra little bit of wine after the slug – just in case it wasn’t a big enough slug to start off with.

1. Speedy Pasta with Aubergine and Tomato Sauce « Chica Andaluza | tomatoes | Scoop.it - December 31, 2011

[…] jQuery("#errors*").hide(); window.location= data.themeInternalUrl; } }); } chicaandaluza.wordpress.com – Today, 8:32 […]