Chunky Pumpkin and Vegetable Soup

7 Jan

Not so much a recipe as a prescription.  After the excesses of Christmas coupled with a bad stomach virus, it was time for a cleansing soup.

Like all the best soups it was made from whatever the fridge had available.  Having said that, we had some beautiful stock made from the carcass of one of our home bred chickens, a cabbage given to us by one of Big Man´s family and the star of the show, a beautiful Green Striped Cushaw Squash grown by Big Man´s lovely cousin Raphael.

Now, I´m not usually so knowledgeable about Squash (or should that be Squashes?) as I have even called it a pumpkin in the recipe title. It just so happened that Claire over at Promenade Plantings posted a gorgeous Winter Panzanella Salad recipe recently, and there showing off in a fabulous photo was MY pumpkin. Or squash.

I used about 400g of chopped squash, 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed, 3 large carrots peeled and diced, an onion peeled and sliced, half a red pepper cut into chunks, 2 cloves of garlic peeled and thinly sliced and four large savoy cabbage leaves which I shredded finely. Along with the broth I also added a cup of tomato conserva. For a vegetarian version, use water or vegetable stock.

I sautéed the squash, carrots, pepper, onions and garlic for a few minutes in a little olive oil then seasoned with salt and pepper  and poured stock and tomato over to cover.  I bought it all to the boil and then reduced the heat to a simmer.  After about 10 minutes I added the potatoes and when the vegetables were all tender, I added the cabbage which I only cooked for a few minutes.

Instead of cheese or croutons, we served it with freshly squeezed lemon juice which gave it all a lovely lift.  Filling but comforting.  Perfect for a post Christmas detox. With a glass of wine of course!

For another gorgeous pumpkin soup recipe, check out Raymund at Ang Sarap who inspired me with his Chunky Beef and Pumpkin Soup.

47 Responses to “Chunky Pumpkin and Vegetable Soup”

1. salmon79uk January 7, 2012 at 22:04 #

I did something similar with chicken and vegetable – see my blog

2. Mad Dog January 7, 2012 at 22:05 #

Sounds like my kind of health food 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2012 at 22:34 #

I think we´re all craving and making soups right now 🙂

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 7, 2012 at 22:07 #

Looks wonderful. Hope things are calmer.

4. ceciliag January 7, 2012 at 22:39 #

YUM! and miserably i am almost out of my tomat conserva, I am going to do double next season.. it goes in everything!!! Oh and (had to tell you) I am making a smoothie tonight with the last of my boozy fruit and icecream!! WooHoo. Goes without saying that i am not going to be blogging that little piece of drunken info!! c

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2012 at 23:03 #

Funnily enough – we seem to be racing through the jars of tomato too. Not much left for me either and I made much more than last year. Enjoy the boozy fruit smoothie … or is that a boothie?!

5. chaiselongue1 January 7, 2012 at 22:47 #

That looks just the right antidote to festive excess….with the glass of wine, of course, for added health benefits!

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2012 at 23:04 #

Well, it´s made from grapes, and grapes are fruit and packed with vitamins!

6. ChgoJohn January 7, 2012 at 23:04 #

So glad to hear that you’re all feeling better, Tanya, and what a great looking bowl of soup! Just what the doctor ordered. (And if he didn’t, I’m glad somebody did.) It’s a wonderful mix of ingredients and I especially love the addition of cabbage. It’s amazing what can result from a rummage through the fridge. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:27 #

Thank you so much – soup is good for pretty much everything and it really does make you feel better when it´s packed full of veggies!

7. Just A Smidgen January 8, 2012 at 00:37 #

I imagine this soup would have anyone feeling just marvelous and refreshed immediately! What great ingredients and they are jam-packed with nutrients that are so good for the body… and the soul… It’s nice to see a pumpkin soup that isn’t pureed:)

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:28 #

Yes, I fancied a soup that made me feel like I had “eaten” rather than just “slurped” – it hit the spot!

8. kathryningrid January 8, 2012 at 01:03 #

Looks beautiful, delicious, and marvelously curative. May all be well with both your household and your overtaxed health!

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:29 #

Ah, thank you so much. I think things are now back on an even keel in our household. I suspect the soup helped!

9. fati's recipes January 8, 2012 at 02:41 #

Mmmm, this sort of reminds me of my grandmother’s vegetable soup (one I’ve wanted to post up since last winter when she was down here!)

Delicious!

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:29 #

Get posting Fati – soups made by our grandmothers are the best!

10. spicegirlfla January 8, 2012 at 02:59 #

Tanya, I’m doing alot of holiday detoxing too!! And this looks perfect! Especially with the pumpkin as you know how much I like pumpkin! I like to make a pot of soup that will take me thru the week for lunches. Nice and comforting. Glad to hear you’re feeling better

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:30 #

Oh me too – Big Man always says I should have worked in Army Catering as I make enough to feed a battalion! Will be checking out some of your pumpkin recipes as we still have a lot of the monster left to eat 🙂

11. rsmacaalay January 8, 2012 at 07:53 #

Wow I am flattered that I inspired you, that version looks good!

12. cookinginsens January 8, 2012 at 08:18 #

That looks wonderful, cleansing or not.

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 09:32 #

Thank you – I think sometimes your body just tells you to eat something sensible…in the same way it sometimes tells you to eat chocolate or drink wine!

13. The Spain Scoop - Scoopette January 8, 2012 at 10:07 #

This looks really tasty!

14. peasepudding January 8, 2012 at 10:13 #

I’m so with you on the detoxing after Christmas! The soup looks perfect. I just read your comment too on my blog about you getting fresh goats milk, I’m so jealous!

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 19:17 #

Thanks Pease Pudding – we´ve been talking about cheese making all day thanks to you!

15. Florence January 8, 2012 at 11:08 #

Hi T, That looks good. Great for these cold nights.
    Regards Florence x

16. thecompletecookbook January 8, 2012 at 13:31 #

This is just fabulous – gorgeous flavours Tanya! I do hope everybody is on the mend now.

17. spree January 8, 2012 at 15:56 #

Oh I love a scrumptious prescription, and this is that for sure!! Beautiful, lively, healthy! And I so believe in eating colors (and drinking a bit of them too of course) ! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2012 at 19:24 #

Colours in food certainly do add a little something special!

18. promenadeplantings January 8, 2012 at 20:16 #

Fantastic, and thanks for the link back 🙂
    as to what is a pumpkin and what is a squash, I get VERY confused. In fact it’s the sort of question on who wants to be a millionnaire that you hope you have a squash expert on the other end of the line 🙂
    Great soup, we’ve been eating lots too – filling, healthy, and inexpensive lunches. I like the squeeze of lemon idea

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2012 at 09:52 #

I didn´t realise there was so much to learn…I need to get my gardening books out 🙂 Soup is so perfect at this time of year and where you are, with the cold, even more so!

19. deairby January 9, 2012 at 02:43 #

looks so yummy and healthy, glad you are feeling better

20. Kay aka Babygirl January 9, 2012 at 07:01 #

I just love a wonderful soup recipe.. and I must say this veggie soup looks absolutely amazing. Especially since it’s getting colder here 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2012 at 09:59 #

Thanks Kay – it certainly warmed us up (even though it´s not actually cold here) and made us feel better!

21. TheDorsetFinca January 9, 2012 at 12:18 #

Looks extremely hearty and cleansing! Yum. x

22. PendleStitches January 9, 2012 at 16:13 #

I hope you’re feeling better. The Husband and the kids had a stomach bug over Christmas…it wasn’t pretty! I managed to put 2.5 lbs on over Christmas so am delighted it wasn’t more. But soup is going to be featuring pretty heavily on our menus over the next few weeks…healthy, low calorie, nutrient dense. What more can you ask?

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2012 at 16:16 #

Oh dear, a whole household full of sick big and little people, what a shame. Soup is great for helping you feel better and lost those extra pounds…but hey, it was Christmas, so I´m sure it was worth a little weight gain!

23. sportsglutton January 9, 2012 at 20:51 #

Even though I’m almost fully recovered from my sickness, I think I could still use a soup like this to get me fully back to 100%.

1. Links We Love – Useful Blogs, Sites, and Guides to Travel In Spain! - January 8, 2012

[…] Chica Andaluza: https://chicaandaluza.wordpress.com […]

2. what is serotonin - February 1, 2012

Sources…

[…]check below, are some totally unrelated websites to ours, however, they are most trustworthy sources that we use[…]……