Crafty Catch Up

24 Feb

No food today (well, I will be eating some of course!), so click away now if you´re not interested in crochet, knitting or sewing.

Now that you´ve received the Up the Mountain “Reader´s Warning”, on with the update…

Winter means cooler weather and I can get out my scraps of wool, find out who is expecting a baby (there are usually quite a few in the family who are “in the family way”) and get knitting and crocheting.

We have a niece expecting twins and one of my best pals Donna is about to become a great aunt.  Sshh, I´m not allowed to call her that!

I´ve made baby blankets…

And a funky coat/jacket for one of the babies (we know she´s going to be a girl) when she reaches a few months of age…

Just needs a couple of bright buttons...

Lots of the men in my life got a beanie for Christmas…thanks to Mandy at The Complete Cookbook for the instructions.

I made myself a little bag…

Then lined it with some pretty fabric I had, which will also make it stronger and less liable to stretch too much.

I made a pinny for Donna (she´s a lucky girl) who moves house next week from London to Lewes. I thought she could run around with a feather duster looking like a 1950´s housewife in this. Recognise the fabric?!

And of course, the enormous orange blanket which the dogs, Luna and Alfi, are On No Account Allowed To Lie On!

63 Responses to “Crafty Catch Up”

1. PendleStitches February 24, 2012 at 14:39 #

Wow…you’ve been busy. I love the apron and the knits/crochets look so cosy. The blanket pattern to the right of the top picture is too adorable.

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 14:54 #

Well, they were done over time and the blanket to the right was done in strips, so it was quite a portable knitting project!

• PendleStitches February 24, 2012 at 16:03 #

I love projects like that. I’m currently knitting a sweater in aran weight…hardly the type of project you can tuck into your handbag!

2. gardenfreshtomatoes February 24, 2012 at 14:42 #

I’m jealous…I have four – count them, FOUR – unfinished crochet projects in the bag… Two of them are going to be ripped out – they’ll be too small for the grandkids to wear if I ever finished them!
    Your projects are awesome – where did you find the pattern for that Granny Cardi?

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 14:54 #

It was on line, I´ll track it down again and e-mail it to you. So easy!

3. Florence February 24, 2012 at 14:52 #

Wow! and wow! Fabulous makes T. You didn’t say how long it took you to make these items. Many hours no doubt. Loooove the little jacket. Pretty fabric on the apron. Really like that. So what are you going to make tonight?! lol! Thanks for sharing all of the goodies.
    Regards Florence x
    P.S. you could make Luna and Alfie some little jackets!

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 14:57 #

Well, I started them in about October, so have been doing various things over time plus some sewing which I haven´t shown (yet!). I´ve just started a little cotton lacey scarf for myself…so that´s what I´ll be doing tonight 🙂

4. niasunset February 24, 2012 at 15:02 #

WOW! I am crazy with this crafty world and you are so creative and amazing. I loved this little blue one… I wish all the best for this twin and for their mother. You really did so beautiful works… I loved your bag too. I usually make my own bags too… But this is so beautiful, inspired me. Thank you so much dear Chica, this is my first visit of blogs today, and how you fascinated me. By the way I will add your blog to my a Cup of Tea Blog too 🙂
    Have a nice and great weekend, with my love, nia

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:31 #

Hi Nia and thank you for everything – your kind words, your enjoyment of what you saw and for adding my blog to your blog! I love to be “doing”, so even when I´m relaxing, I usually have some project in my hands to keep me occupied!

5. Mad Dog February 24, 2012 at 15:07 #

Well done that’s loads of work – where do you find the time?

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:35 #

I have a time machine! No…I do easy projects and these are usually made at night whilst watching the TV…multitasking, keeps me out of trouble!

6. ChgoJohn February 24, 2012 at 15:16 #

These pieces, Tanya, are simply beautiful! Any parent of a newborn would be thrilled to receive one of your blankets — and rightly so! I imagine that Luna and Alfi were equally grateful for the orange blanket you made for them, no matter what you chose to name it.

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:42 #

Thanks John – I hope they all enjoy their little gifts. At least I can be sure they won´t be duplicates!

7. niasunset February 24, 2012 at 15:17 #

Thank you once again dear Chica… with my love, nia

8. thecompletecookbook February 24, 2012 at 15:19 #

Oh my but you have been busy Tanya. What beautiful handy work! Thank you so much for the mention. I am thrilled you enjoyed the pattern. Such a cool way you found to photograph it.
    I LOVE your bag – think you should rather send it to me though as I am sure I NEED it! 😉 I love that funky little baby jacket too!
    I have also finished another baby blanket – still haven’t posted about it – might wait until I am finished with another one that I have started. We also can’t get away from somebody being pregnant. Just when we think we can put the crochet hooks and knitting needles away, news comes of somebody else who is preggies. I have also just finished two baby beanies for my Godson. Can’t believe that he is just over 2 weeks old and I have not been able to meet him yet! SOON! First though, a trip to spend a few days with mom and dad for mom’s birthday. Just confirmed our tickets. Can’t wait!
    Have a super weekend.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:45 #

Glad you liked the photo of the beanie – Big Man refused to model! And how exciting about your Godson, he must be gorgeous and so little, only 2 weeks old 🙂 I hope the trip to see your parents and celebrate with your mom is fun, what a great time you´ll all have just being together.

I love my little bag – it was just a simple pattern that I played around with!

9. mcfdekker February 24, 2012 at 15:26 #

At the risk of sounding like most of the comments above: wow, you’ve been busy! You had all my admiration because I don’t have the patience it takes to knit or crochet. It’s not going fast enough for me! haha Really nice!

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:46 #

Thank you! I particularly like crochet as it seems to grow quite quickly (for me at least) so fairly instant gratification. Now I just need to speed up with my sewing 😉

10. Just A Smidgen February 24, 2012 at 15:28 #

Wow, Chica, how did I not know you were so talented? I love that pinny/apron and would love one of those! I think you need to set up an Etsy shop for yourself to sell your pretty crocheting and sewing!

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 15:47 #

Thank you so much! I need to look into Etsy as I don´t know much about it (what an old dinosaur I am!). It might be a good idea as I just love making things!

I just made the pinny using an old one as a template and then added a slightly frillier skirt part. It was fun (and quick) to make 🙂

• Just A Smidgen February 24, 2012 at 18:20 #

Check out A Fine Day for an Epiphany’s last blog about her friend. She knits and has sold on Etsy and is now famous:)

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 18:24 #

Ooh – I will, thanks so much!

11. Ria February 24, 2012 at 17:17 #

I love that funky cardigan, can I have it in a size 12 please??!! xx

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 17:56 #

Actually, I was thinking it would be great for an adult too! Don´t tell Donna about the pinny 😉

12. ....RaeDi February 24, 2012 at 18:32 #

Tanya, You have been busy, each one is just a beautiful and the other! You are so talented! Your family and friends are so blessed! I love it when you show what you are doing along with cooking… you have so many talents!

• Chica Andaluza February 24, 2012 at 18:34 #

Thank you RaeDi but I really do tend to limit myself to simpler projects – they move along quickly and have less chance of being disasters 😉

13. Karista February 24, 2012 at 19:33 #

Oh how I wish I were crafty! What beautiful work you do Chica! I especially love the darling little girls sweater. Absolutely precious!

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:32 #

Thank you so much – the sweater seems to be popular, perhaps it´s the lovely bright colours?!

14. promenadeplantings February 24, 2012 at 19:41 #

I’m not crafty, I always think Ishould do some crafty things but somehow never get round to it.
    The bag is just perfect! Clever Chica 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:32 #

Thank you so much – I really enjoy doing stuff like this. Keeps me out of trouble!

15. Bluejellybeans February 24, 2012 at 21:04 #

¡Cuánto talento!
    Me encanta todo lo que he visto, eres una artista Tanya 😉
    Lo que más me ha gustado ha sido la chaquetita, una monada!
    Buen finde 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:33 #

Gracias Giovana – como tú “cross stitch” es algo que me encanta hacer. Buen finde también 🙂

16. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) February 24, 2012 at 22:09 #

That bag wow! Baby jacket… amazing! I can’t sew. Or knit. Or crochet. I’ve always wanted to– it’s on my list 🙂 You are awesomely talented!!!

17. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 24, 2012 at 22:29 #

You are so crafty and clever! I particularly love the baby blankets, coat and purse.

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:36 #

Thanks Betsy, just a little hobby I enjoy to pass the evenings!

18. delicio8 February 25, 2012 at 00:12 #

I love the bag and the pinny as well. Oh how I wish I was crafty but I’m not! I’ll just admire your stuff, that’ll have to do.

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:38 #

Thank you – I think I need to make myself a new pinny now 😉

19. StephC February 25, 2012 at 01:39 #

Wow! Such a lot of work, I love everything you made here!

20. Charles February 25, 2012 at 02:54 #

I frequently wish I could knit or crochet – even if it’s not considered the most “manly” of things to do – I’d love to be able to make stuff like this – it’s so cool. My wife tried to teach me once – I just couldn’t get to grips with it :p

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:39 #

Charles there is a super famous knitter and designer and he´s a man – Kaffe Fassett is his name. I tried to teach Big Man to crochet as he is trying to give up smoking and needs things to distract him. It stressed him out so much though I think I was making things worse!

21. Calico Stretch February 25, 2012 at 04:04 #

Wow you have been busy of an evening and I like the output. One of these days I’ll learn to crochet!

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 04:40 #

I find it relaxing and am also a little more confident with crochet than knitting. Once you´ve mastered the basics and can read a pattern, you´re off!

22. chaiselongue1 February 25, 2012 at 14:43 #

I love that funky crochet jacket! Wouldn’t mind something like that myself. I used to do a lot of crochet but haven’t for years….I’ve missed the winter now, so it will have to be next year.

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2012 at 16:19 #

The jacket seems to have been a hit and I am now measuring and working out if it could be translated to adult size without ending up with enormously long sleeves!

23. Michi February 25, 2012 at 18:25 #

I love the funky baby jacket!! The colors are fantastic.

24. Alli February 26, 2012 at 10:00 #

OMG, move over Nigela, you’re such a domestic godess!

• Chica Andaluza February 26, 2012 at 10:08 #

Tee hee – I certainly have the curves at least!

25. spree February 27, 2012 at 07:14 #

Oh Tanya, you simply amaze! Such talent in one body! I adore the apron, and the knit things for baby are just beautiful, treasures they are! And how CUTE is that sweater!! I think I’d like to start all over and have Tanya dress me! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 27, 2012 at 09:17 #

I´m better and quicker at making teeny tiny things….so we´ll have to start right at the beginning!

26. katyarich February 28, 2012 at 18:19 #

Hola Tanya, you are very talent, everything looks very nice, lovely work:)

• Chica Andaluza February 28, 2012 at 20:12 #

Ah, thank you so much…just something I enjoy doing!

27. spicegirlfla February 28, 2012 at 18:24 #

You really are a crafy girl Tanya!! I’m just catching up on my blog reading and was so happily surprised to see this! A break from food and such adorable baby blankets and hats!! Nice purse too 🙂 I wish I had the patience, time, and talent to take this one. How do you do it all!!?

• Chica Andaluza February 28, 2012 at 20:13 #

Thank you so much Linda. I think, above all, I have the luxury of time…time to teach myself, to practice, make mistakes and eventually sort of get it right!

28. Elizabeth February 29, 2012 at 15:15 #

These are all so adorable!

29. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise March 3, 2012 at 20:08 #

You are very talented my firend!
    I love them all to be honest!
    Hats off to you on such beautiful creations

• Chica Andaluza March 3, 2012 at 20:18 #

Ah, you´ve made me go all shy! Am trying to finish off a pair of trousers this weekend as I am off to London next week and want to take them with me!

30. Istana Boneka WIsuda March 11, 2016 at 02:37 #

wow, you are really creative and can take the time to make crafts.
    I also want to try. 😀

• Chica Andaluza March 11, 2016 at 09:05 #

Its something that I really enjoy doing! Hope you find time to try something yourself too!