Out with the Old and In with the New – Broad Beans, Garlic and Chicken

10 Jun

Things are really shaping up in our huerto, our little vegetable garden. Yesterday the last of the broad beans were harvested and they leave us with a nice patch to fill with something else tasty.

Our garlic, which is a variety from Granada, is now just about ready for harvesting.

As you can see, it´s a small variety, slightly pink, and it tastes very sweet.  Here it is alongside one of our onions which we had expected to be bigger, but no matter…they taste great.

So, we now need to pick our 320 garlic bulbs and dry them out a little. We already have a waiting list of people who want a few, so my worries about how on earth we would use that many are already being addressed.

In order to celebrate the new garlic I made a simple dish of chicken joints, potatoes, small chunks of a whole lemon, a bulb of the fresh garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and some rosemary and oregano from our garden. I was inspired by this lovely simple recipe from Mary Cadogan over on the BBC website, but played around with it – I hope she won´t mind!

Into the oven it went, after having a good slug of local dry sherry poured over, where it sat cooking slowly at a medium heat for about 2 hours.

A little salad of finely chopped tomato with some chopped garlic and the last few fresh broad bean pods was my final tribute to the garden.

Simple, tasty and a perfect pick me up for the Up the Mountain garlic pickers!

64 Responses to “Out with the Old and In with the New – Broad Beans, Garlic and Chicken”

1. Roger Stowell June 10, 2012 at 13:41 #

Delicious – and I like Mary’s recipe very much:)

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 14:31 #

Thanks Roger – I like her recipes because they work and taste great!

2. gardenfreshtomatoes June 10, 2012 at 13:47 #

That sounds wonderful – from the garlic harvest, to the chicken, to the salad! I’ve got a few more weeks until mine comes out, but there seems to be enough of last year’s left to see us through – first time that’s ever happened!
    What’s going in next?

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 14:38 #

The garlic tastes amazing, we´re really pleased with it! Not sure yet what´s going in. We may have to be in the UK for a month this summer (worst possible time to be away as we need to harvest, can, freeze) so it may be something that doesn´t come up until the autumn. Talks are currently taking place!

3. Piglet in Portugal June 10, 2012 at 14:44 #

We have chicken for dinner tonight. Seeing this picture has just prompted me as to how I will cook it!

Your horta is looking great! Do you do anything to the soil before you replant with another veg. When are you planting your next batch of broad beans?

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:43 #

The chicken dish is so easy and all in one pot! We´ll probably plant some more broad beans in early September as we´ve had our fill of them for the moment…

4. Promenade Claire June 10, 2012 at 15:10 #

Mouthwaterlingly good! I And your vegetable patch is looking very smart and productive too. Nearly there with the fresh garlic, looking forward to it!! And of course I want to know what you will be planting in the spaces left behind from the broadies and garlic 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:42 #

Fresh garlic really does have quite a distinctive taste. Will keep you posted on what goes in there next!

5. chaiselongue1 June 10, 2012 at 15:43 #

The chicken dish looks delicious and it’s nice to see your garlic because I didn’t get round to planting any this year. It doesn’t matter if the onions are small – they’re so good fresh from the garden. We often grill them on the barbecue, whole.

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:42 #

Funnily enough we were talking to some pals last night who planted the same onions and also got small ones and we were all discussing cooking them on the barbecue and eating them whole…so sweet and tender that way!

6. Bluejellybeans June 10, 2012 at 16:22 #

Qué rico 🙂
    Si admites encargos desde Madrid (y están bien de precio)… 😉
    Todo tiene una pinta buenísima!

7. andylmoore June 10, 2012 at 16:45 #

Yum. Simple but looks lovely. Just planted garlic in our new garden. Hope it grows like yours.

8. Mad Dog June 10, 2012 at 17:56 #

That looks like lovely garlic and great recipe too! I just got my first broad beans from the farmer this morning – they were selling like hot cakes, but he saved me two bags 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:40 #

Oooh – maybe I´ll get my hands on some next week in the UK! What are you going to do with yours?

• Mad Dog June 10, 2012 at 21:12 #

I’m just having them with peas, carrots, roast potatoes and pork marinated in olive oil, garlic and chilli, then roasted.

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 21:16 #

“Just”…he says! Sounds amazing!

9. thecompletecookbook June 10, 2012 at 18:12 #

Oh la la – what a lovely comforting and tasty meal. So lovely to see what you are harvesting from your garden.

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:39 #

It´s getting to that fun time of year when the hard work starts to pay off!

10. spree June 10, 2012 at 18:18 #

It’s breakfast time, and my mouth’s already watering for a dinner like this. Scrumptious & simple, perfect summer fare. I do like the sounds of your sweet pink garlic too. Wish I lived just down the mountain from you. 🙂

11. PendleStitches June 10, 2012 at 20:00 #

Oh that looks good. Perhaps I should leave the sewing loft and go and cook dinner?!?!

• Chica Andaluza June 10, 2012 at 20:39 #

No..stay where you are and enjoy the sewing!

• PendleStitches June 10, 2012 at 22:42 #

I abandoned sewing, made dinner and picked up the knitting! 😉

12. Simply Tia June 10, 2012 at 21:26 #

I love garlic and I truly wish we were neighbors. I find them a little pricy over here. That dish looks amazing.

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:26 #

And the taste if fresh garlic is different from how it tastes later in the year…!

13. Just A Smidgen June 10, 2012 at 22:10 #

Put me on your list for garlic! (just kidding, I’m sure it would be a fortune to ship…) Your garden is wonderful.. how awesome is it to be able to reap some veggies and be able to start over with a fresh batch of something. Here.. we have one go-round and then it’s over!

14. ChgoJohn June 10, 2012 at 22:18 #

Your chicken dish could just have easily been prepared by my Mom and chicken with garlic, rosemary, and lemon remains a favorite of mine today. Mom rarely served broad beans, though, and I keep forgetting to ask Zia how she prepared them for Grandpa. I’d like to try my hand with them while they’re still in season. Your garlic looks perfect, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:27 #

The chicken dish is a simple one but a favourite as it´s so easy to pull together then forget about for a few hours! I wonder now how your Zia prepared her broad beans?!

15. Florence June 10, 2012 at 22:30 #

Hi T, My sort of dish. Looks delicious. TFS. Quite a bit of garlic there misses 🙂
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:27 #

You can never have too much garlic as far as I´m concerned!

16. Tandy June 11, 2012 at 08:06 #

What a great harvest and awesome dish!

17. TheDorsetFinca June 11, 2012 at 08:34 #

I am so envious, everything looks sun drenched and beautiful. We are soaking wet here and it looks like the rain is here to stay for a while. 😦 x

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:29 #

Am off to the UK in 3 days and have been warned to prepare for rain 😦

18. rsmacaalay June 11, 2012 at 10:22 #

Looks like a lot of people are harvesting something this week

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:29 #

You´re right – have seen a lot of posts on a similar theme!

19. cookinginsens June 11, 2012 at 10:32 #

The chicken dish is awesome. Have to try that.

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:29 #

It´s a good one for when you´re busy doing other things!

20. Michi June 11, 2012 at 13:11 #

Ooooh, the garlic from your huerta looks sooo good! And with chicken and beans? My favorite! (I have so many favorites, but anything with garlic is at the top of my list, hehehe). A friend gave me a bag full of garlic from her huerta, and the taste is DIVINE. I literally ate a fried head of garlic everyday for two weeks. O:)

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:30 #

The fresh garlic has such an incredible taste – and once you´ve eaten one little piece you may as well go on and eat the rest of it!

21. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 11, 2012 at 13:43 #

What an impressive garlic crop. Your dishes look just wonderful too.

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 15:34 #

Thanks – it was a good year for us with garlic. Still no okra though, so you trump us on that one!

22. Val June 11, 2012 at 17:25 #

The potatoes and chicken look so tasty! I can’t wait till my garlic is ready for picking!

23. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) June 11, 2012 at 19:07 #

It’s going to be a along difficult summer for me watching everyone enjoy their garden and me being gardenless this year. 😦 Oh well, at least i can live vicariously through others.

Hope you have been well while I’ve been away from blogging. Cheers!

• Chica Andaluza June 11, 2012 at 19:22 #

Hi Jed and how great to hear from you – have missed you and your posts! Hope all is well, despite having no garden for the moment 😦

24. Charles June 12, 2012 at 10:12 #

Oh, I just love that last photo Chica – so colourful and real eye-candy! I’m so jealous – growing broad beans… how lovely it must be. I think my beets and red spring onions MIGHT be ready soon. They won’t be so good… I’m growing them a bit intensively in pots but they’re growing nonetheless! 😀

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2012 at 10:50 #

Thank you Charles! I´m sure your “pot crop” will be fantastic – it´s great to eat something you have grown yourself, it tastes so much better and you know it has no “nasties” in it! PS. Now I´ve read that back it makes it sounds like you are growing something other than beets and onions 😉

• Charles June 12, 2012 at 23:28 #

Haha, some brownies on the menu for when it’s ready 😀

25. Michelle June 13, 2012 at 01:50 #

Why, yes, I’d love to come to dinner! 🙂

26. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 13, 2012 at 08:10 #

That chicken combination sounds amazing, you can’t go wrong with chicken rosemary and lemon
    I am growing tomatoes and peppers in pots this year and I can’t wait to pick the first tomatoes, granted they are 2 plants but it still feels great watching them grow

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2012 at 08:42 #

I expect the children will enjoy watching them grow too and the pleasure you´ll get from eating your “crop” will be unmatched by anything you can buy!

27. bitsandbreadcrumbs June 13, 2012 at 18:16 #

How I do love garlic and wish I could grow it! Your dishes look so tasty, and doesn’t everything taste better with a good slug of dry sherry?

28. narf77 June 13, 2012 at 23:11 #

Send help! I am drowning in my own drool 😦

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2012 at 23:24 #

Am mopping up right now!

• narf77 June 14, 2012 at 04:33 #

lol your posts always make me drool…I probably shouldn’t read them before breakfast! 🙂

29. kursus acls August 30, 2016 at 09:52 #

looks so good …

1. Mediterranean Chicken – Piglet Style! | Piglet in Portugal - June 29, 2012

[…] favorites and it slipped from the weekly menu plan. However, a couple of week’s ago reading “Out with the Old and In with the New – Broad Beans, Garlic and Chicken” over at Chica Andaluza’s blog set my taste buds racing and reminded me of this delicious and […]

2. Mediterranean Chicken – Piglet Style! | The Blog Farm - A Growing Blog Community - June 30, 2012

[…] other favorites and it slipped from the weekly menu plan. However, a couple of week’s ago reading “Out with the Old and In with the New – Broad Beans, Garlic and Chicken” over at Chica Andaluza’s blog set my taste buds racing and reminded me of this delicious and […]