Sewing Sunday – Summer Skirt

24 Jun

Remember my Safari Skirt? When I bought it, I also came across another one, in a pretty pale blue pattern.  This was more fitted, made up of panels, but way too small at the waist. It also had a zip.

Here´s how I made it fit (and I can be quite determined when I want to be)!

First I cut the skirt from around the top to give me the length I wanted less 2cm (I was going to add a waistband).

Then I unpicked the zip from the piece I had removed (you may need to do this first if it overlaps into the section of skirt that remains). I unpicked the side of the skirt to the length of the zip and reinserted the zip.

The skirt was now too big around the waist for me, so I added some darts at the front and back to make it fit comfortably.

Then I cut the piece of fabric from the top of the skirt lengthways to make two narrow strips which I joined together to make one long strip (this would become my new waistband, although I would not need it all as it became one very long strip).

This was pinned wrong sides together round the outside of the skirt.

I left a few cm at each zip edge to turn in.

This was stitched down, then the waistband turned over and under on the inside of the skirt and stitched again. I did this by hand because I enjoy hand stitching, but it could be done more quickly with machine stitching.

Finally I tucked in the ends of the waistband to give me a little overlap to add some snap fasteners and I also reinserted the hanging loops which I had recycled from the original waistband.

The finished skirt, which will is cool and comfy…I love soft cotton which is slightly “worn”, perfect for running around in the heat.

Get Shorty!

The photo makes it look very short and “stumpy” – I should have removed the half-finished top from Marilyn, I am sure that would have helped!

39 Responses to “Sewing Sunday – Summer Skirt”

1. gardenfreshtomatoes June 24, 2012 at 12:49 #

I love it when you post these projects, even though it’s been years since I sewed. It’s just good to know that someone is still taking the time to do it!

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 14:14 #

I really enjoy doing them, and I particularly like little projects that I can hand sew, as I can do them in the evening when it cools down whilst enjoying a glass of wine 🙂

2. Florence June 24, 2012 at 12:55 #

Hi T, Really enjoyed reading how you altered this. Very pretty.
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 14:14 #

Thanks Florence – I am starting to see potential in everything at the charity shop (which is dangerous) 🙂

3. thecompletecookbook June 24, 2012 at 13:59 #

You are SO clever Tanya. I am not sure I would be able to “remodel” something like this. No worries, I could always pop over for another visit for a few lessons…

4. TheDorsetFinca June 24, 2012 at 14:25 #

Ooh – you are clever and inspire me to give this a go. Honestly, I’m a bit rubbish. My biggest recent achievement was learning how to do blind stitching. I didn’t even know such a thing existed! x

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 20:17 #

Well, I´m impressed – blind stitching is a very difficult one to master, so you started with something difficult first!

• TheDorsetFinca June 25, 2012 at 08:17 #

Ah thanks – you’re so nice 🙂

5. themateriallady June 24, 2012 at 15:38 #

Isn’t it wonderful to be able to make something useful from something that wasn’t? Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Whilst I don’t particularly thrill to hand sewing I do like knitting as a ‘meditative’ activity. Socks for daughter on the list at present.
    Enjoy the warm there in Spain – we probably need the warm socks here in the UK!

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 20:18 #

Oh yes, I love to knit and crochet too but I have to leave them until the winter as I couldn´t cope with the weight of the wool on my lap when it´s hot! Very therapeutic though 🙂

6. Mad Dog June 24, 2012 at 15:57 #

“I should have removed the half-finished top from Marilyn” – poor Marilyn and how risqué that would be 😉

7. ChgoJohn June 24, 2012 at 16:15 #

Nicely done, Tanya! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 17:01 #

Thanks…am guessing probably not your style though 😉

• ChgoJohn June 24, 2012 at 21:09 #

Well, to be honest, with these legs, I prefer the hem to be a a few inches above the knee. :0

• Chica Andaluza June 25, 2012 at 09:39 #

Well, they say if you´ve got it…flaunt it!

8. ceciliag June 24, 2012 at 17:15 #

that gorgeous skirt reminds me that i had better get on to making my summer skirts before the summer is gone and you have once again caught me sitting in my study with my pinny still on.. i made cheesecake, and if those blokes don’t stop opening and closing the oven door to look at it they will be wearing it shortly! c

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 20:21 #

I can´t imagine you sitting quietly celi! And cheesecake is gorgeous but rather a faff to make…all that waiting. Hope they kept their noses out of the oven long enough for it to cook properly 🙂

9. PendleStitches June 24, 2012 at 17:48 #

Such a pretty fabric and a great refashion. The top is looking good too!

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2012 at 20:22 #

Thanks Evie. The top is very simple but needs a few darts at the back still to stop me looking like a big mobile cushion. Nice and cool though!

• PendleStitches June 24, 2012 at 22:32 #

That’s the problem with having curves! They take some taming. But they’re worth it!

10. Bluejellybeans June 25, 2012 at 00:36 #

¡Muy bonita Tanya! Eres una artista 🙂

11. idiosyncratic eye June 25, 2012 at 17:38 #

So clever! 🙂

12. spree June 25, 2012 at 17:57 #

You are such a clever gull Tanya! And I’m thinking you must have awfully cute and suntanned legs! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 25, 2012 at 19:57 #

Aw…well. from about the thigh down, I´m all brown and trim!

13. niasunset June 26, 2012 at 00:10 #

Wonderful summer skirt… I loved the colour too… Thank you dear Chica, love, nia

14. narf77 June 26, 2012 at 02:08 #

Hey show a bit of leg! I myself refrain from both sewing and leg showing as a sign of respect to the locals. I dare say that they would have to be especially nice to me if I perambulated around in one of my sad efforts to sew…they would not only think that I was “that strange chook lady who won’t use poison” but would add “that poor obviously mentally challenged bag lady who raises chooks and won’t use poison”…sigh…I so envy you your obvious sewing talent, you are SO clever!

• Chica Andaluza June 26, 2012 at 05:00 #

This really made me laugh – I am sure you wouldn´t look like a sad old bag lady. Although, I know that some of the locals feel a bit sorry for me making some of my own clothes or refashioning (I think they think I´m a bit odd) when I could be buying something “lovely” off a market stall just like everyone else. No thanks!

• narf77 June 26, 2012 at 06:33 #

Bravo on your sewing accomplishments by the way. You are very good at what you do! I…am not. My daughter is an instinctive sewer but something skips inside my head (missing synapses) whenever I sit in front of a sewing machine and I can still see my old sewing teacher at school trying vainly to find a way to praise me for my latest “creation”…we can’t be good at everything lol 🙂

15. Calico Stretch June 26, 2012 at 10:18 #

Cute skirts for summer are the best. Particularly if they come thrifted and updated.

• Chica Andaluza June 26, 2012 at 10:46 #

I really enjoy doing this – hunting out a bargain and then working around it!

16. Charles June 26, 2012 at 10:24 #

Lovely skirt Chica – I love reading about your sewing projects – it’s an inspiration to me. Despite people not thinking its very manly I would love to be able to do even some basic needle-related stuff. Have so much else on my plate though 😦

• Chica Andaluza June 26, 2012 at 10:50 #

Well, most of the top (famous, at least) designers for the couture houses are men, so I don´t think it´s restricted to just women taking an interest. One of the top designers of knitting patterns too is a guy…he turns out some fabulous stuff!

17. Kathy July 7, 2012 at 04:37 #

I love that you see the designs. I can’t “see” the patterns, and putting them together, etc…..I can cook, though! My 7 yr old daughter is better at putting things together than I am! It’s genetics. I’m jealous.

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:58 #

Ah, how lovely that your 7 year old has fun putting things together! And hey, cooking is fun and important 🙂