Prawn and Mushroom Quiche

24 Sep

Now, I know quiche isn´t remotely Spanish, but just think of it as a tortilla in a pastry case!  I have introduced Big Man to quiche over the last few years and it has become a big favourite.

It´s also an easy dish for me to prepare right now with just a few pots and pans at my disposal and (yes, I confess) I used ready made pastry this time.

Remember Clara´s Pastry for my mince pies? Well, here it is again, it´s a very versatile and tasty pastry. And when I´m not being so lazy or covered in dust, I´ll make my own again!

Ingredients for the pastry

• 200g plain flour
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 50g each of cold butter and lard
  • One egg, beaten
  • Milk

Rub the fat into the flour and salt until it resembles fine breadcrumbs or pulse in a food processor.  Using a broad knife, work the egg into the flour.  Start to gently bring the pastry together with your hands.  You will probably need to add a very little milk but add drops rather than slugs.  Do not knead or overwork the pastry.

Now wrap in plastic and leave to rest in the fridge until you are ready to use it, but bring it up to room temperature first.

Roll it out on a well floured surface and place into your tin, prick the base with a fork and then fill with baking beans or pulses placed on top of greaseproof paper. Trim off any excess and bake at 180ºC for 15 minutes, or until it just starts to brown.

For the filling

• 5 eggs and 100 ml of single cream beaten together
  • A cup of peeled cooked prawns
  • A cup of thinly sliced mushrooms (lightly sautéed first)
  • Seasoning

Mix all the ingredients together, if your tin is particularly large, add a drop more cream or milk.  Pour into the pastry base and bake for about 25 minutes at 180ºC or until the centre is set.

Remove from oven and eat hot or cold.

42 Responses to “Prawn and Mushroom Quiche”

1. Food,Photography & France September 24, 2012 at 13:57 #

I like the sound of that pastry. I hardly ever use lard which is daft as it makes such wonderful short pastry:)

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 14:12 #

Some people are scared of lard but it´s natural, lower in cholesterol than butter and it makes the pastry taste great (not if you´re a vegetarian, obviously)!

2. narf77 September 24, 2012 at 14:08 #

If it was me renovating we would be down to a can of cold baked beans each and a spoon! I applaud your initiative in making delicious quiche against the odds. Good to see you are holding up (and not, yet, resorting to the ubiquitous bean ;))

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 14:14 #

Well, beans are good for you and we do sometimes resort to a lovely local sausage with some beans!

• narf77 September 24, 2012 at 14:53 #

But NOT I trust, cold in the can (which I sadly reverted to when we were renovating) 😉

3. thecompletecookbook September 24, 2012 at 14:13 #

Ooh, what a scrumity quiche and no shame at all in using a ready made pastry.
    Have a beautiful week ahead.

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 15:30 #

Phew – I didn´t want to be judged badly 😦 Have a great week too!

4. themateriallady September 24, 2012 at 14:26 #

Sounds yummy. And I confess I would be with ‘narf77’ with beans – or maybe a takeaway!
    Goes without saying you are totally within your rights to use ready made pastry.

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 15:30 #

Well….we have had meals out and takeaways too…but we´ve been here two months and couldn´t have eaten takeaway every night (we´re already on the wrong side of “well rounded”)!

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs September 24, 2012 at 15:32 #

I’m still a neophyte and making my own pastry, but yours sounds really simple and good. Still, if I was renovating a home, I wouldn’t blink an eyelash at using ready made! This quiche looks delicious, and it may be the first one I’ve seen that didn’t use cheese, so it seems a bit healthier than most. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 20:00 #

I do try to make it at home – but it just wasn´t practical with all the dust I am dealing with!

6. Bluejellybeans September 24, 2012 at 16:57 #

Mmm! Me encanta tu receta de quiche, super fácil y rápida (yo no estoy de obras ni nada, pero creo que también usaré una masa hecha 😉 )

7. Mad Dog September 24, 2012 at 18:15 #

That’s a great combination – prawn and mushroom. I’d be very tempted to go and buy them to a make a quiche if I didn’t already have lamb chops out of the fridge 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 20:01 #

We had lamb last night – and very good it was too!

8. idiosyncratic eye September 24, 2012 at 18:24 #

I like that description of quiche, tortilla in pastry! 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 24, 2012 at 20:01 #

Well, it´s how Big Man described it and I had to agree!

9. Promenade Claire September 24, 2012 at 22:30 #

Ah tasty pastry, count me in !!
    Loving the new header photo, or am I as usual late to the party 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 26, 2012 at 10:26 #

Well, it´s been up a little while, but I haven´t posted much so I can´t blame you for not noticing it!

10. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 25, 2012 at 01:02 #

This is my new favorite quiche. Looks awesome.

• Chica Andaluza September 25, 2012 at 10:17 #

Hope you like it – with those wonderful shrimp you have, it should be great!

11. Karen September 25, 2012 at 01:53 #

I have no problem using a ready made crust…convenience is what is important when time is of the essence and there are a lot of good ones being made now. Your quiche must have been delicious.

• Chica Andaluza September 25, 2012 at 10:17 #

Sometimes it has to be ready made! It was made with love and enjoyed with hunger and pleasure!

12. Tandy September 25, 2012 at 07:52 #

This sounds as if it would be a great mid day meal 🙂

13. TBM September 25, 2012 at 08:30 #

I used to say I wasn’t a quiche fan, and then I had one. Not bad, not bad at all. This looks tasty.

• Chica Andaluza September 25, 2012 at 10:19 #

I didn´t used to be either, you just have to have a good one to be converted I think (and there are plenty of bad ones around to put you off)

14. TheDorsetFinca September 25, 2012 at 10:47 #

Nothing beats a good quiche – especially leftovers for lunch the next day! Yours looks so delicious! x

15. trevorhunt September 25, 2012 at 13:43 #

Prawns & Mushrooms? I’ve never thought of the two going together before but yours looks really tasty. Here’s a link Tanya that l thought you might like: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9563327/Sea-air-the-secret-of-long-life-as-census-shows-Bexhill-on-Sea-is-Britains-centenarian-capital.html. Take heart…we’re not far behind you at East Devon! Its all these people coming to retire by the coast. Can’t blame them!

• Chica Andaluza September 26, 2012 at 10:06 #

I loved that article…maybe Big Man and I should move permanently! My brother always used to joke that people got fined for speeding in Bexhill if they walked faster than the electric wheelchairs 😉

16. ChgoJohn September 25, 2012 at 21:42 #

This looks delicious, Tanya. If you’d said you’d be serving meals like this, I bet yo’d have a team of volunteers working on the houses. And with good reason, too. A prawn quiche! Fantastic!
    Here in the States, lard is starting to make an appearance again, with TV chefs/cooks using it more now. The idea is to find the natural stuff and not the kind that’s been processed to death.

• Chica Andaluza September 26, 2012 at 10:04 #

Yes, I´ve heard that there are different types. Luckily I got mine from the butcher, and that´s the stuff that´s ok to use. Luckily now when we do have friends pop over to help, I can cook for them!

17. Karista September 26, 2012 at 07:24 #

I’m behind in my reading again and can’t believe how many fun posts I’ve missed! Love this quiche. I always use sausage or chicken in my quiche and never think to use shrimp, which sounds delish! And what is a good quiche without an excellent crust prepared with lard. That’s how my Grandmother made crust . 🙂

18. fati's recipes September 28, 2012 at 11:28 #

Truth is I’m not a huge fan of quiche, but this does look like something worth giving a go! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 28, 2012 at 12:54 #

Can recommend it – I am now a quiche convert!

19. Piglet in Portugal October 1, 2012 at 21:42 #

I never thught of putting prawns in a quiche….what a good idea!

• Chica Andaluza October 2, 2012 at 09:49 #

Yes, it works well. They also eat prawn tortilla here – personally I´m not mad keen, but it´s very popular!

20. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 7, 2012 at 17:50 #

I’m in love with this version of quiche. Mushrooms and prawns together is so hearty and inviting!

• Chica Andaluza October 8, 2012 at 09:27 #

Glad you like it – and I´m sure you would have made it look much prettier in your photos!

1. Olive Oil Pastry – So simple, even I couldn’t mess it up…. | Chica Andaluza - June 5, 2013

[…] I love pastry but am mostly too lazy to make it. Except at Christmas, when I make Clara’s Shortcrust Pastry. And sometimes I use it to make quiche. […]