Scallops Pil Pil

13 Dec

Scallops Pil Pil (1)

When we´re Up the Mountain, we enjoy fresh fish from the coast several times a week from Fish Man. When we´re in England we are based on the south coast, so benefit from a wonderful local fishmonger or a trip to The Stade (the fisherman´s beach) in nearby Hastings where we can choose from an incredible range of fresh fish.

Recently (before heading back to Spain) we treated ourselves to some fresh scallops with their roe and decided to cook them Gambas Pil Pil style with plenty of fresh crusty bread to mop up those delicious spicy, garlicky juices.

Normally I´d cook this in a terracotta bowl which goes onto the stove top but foolishly hadn´t taken any to England with me. No problem, I used a small frying pan!

Ingredients to serve 2 people

• About 4 – 6 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 4 fat cloves of garlic peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 or 2 dried birds eye chillies
  • About a level teaspoon of hot pimentón (or chilli powder)
  • Sea salt
  • 6-8 fresh scallops

Put all the ingredients except the scallops into a pan and start on a gentle heat “poaching” the garlic for 2-3 minutes. Now turn it up and when it starts to sizzle, gently drop in the scallops and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the scallops are cooked through (this will depend on how thick your scallops are).

Serve sizzling hot and be prepared for lots of smacking of lips and licking of fingers.

61 Responses to “Scallops Pil Pil”

1. cookinginsens December 13, 2012 at 08:38 #

These sounds easy and scrumptious!

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2012 at 08:58 #

It´s so good and makes a nice (easy) change from just griddling them!

2. whilehewasout December 13, 2012 at 09:09 #

mmh yummy! My kind of dish! If only it would be easier to find good seafood around here 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:55 #

Glad you like it…Works well too with defrosted frozen pranws!

• whilehewasout December 14, 2012 at 22:09 #

That might be easier to come by, thank you for the suggestion!!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 22:21 #

You´re welcome – let me know if you try it!

3. Lauren Aloise (@spanishsabores) December 13, 2012 at 09:15 #

Oh wow, wow! That sounds so good. Scallops here aren’t too easy to find (Madrid) and are expensive. In Massachusetts they are one of my favorite things to make… sigh!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:35 #

You may find them a little more easily available nearer to Christmas – do hope so!

4. Food,Photography & France December 13, 2012 at 09:40 #

Great way with scallops. I have good memories of the Stade – used to use it as a location. Hastings seems to have more than its share of strange people:)

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:35 #

Well, there´s us and Promenade Claire, we´re all a bit odd! Would love to see some of those photos 🙂

5. themateriallady December 13, 2012 at 11:08 #

I will keep this recipe in mind next time I find scallops when I go diving. All I need to do is to find at least 6 before the air gets low!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:36 #

Oh dear, now I´ll be worrying about you holding your breath or running out of air!

6. Evie December 13, 2012 at 11:14 #

Not fond of scallops (although I wish I was)…but do this with large prawns and I’m in!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:55 #

Oh do try it with prawns as that´s the original and authentic dish – defrosted frozen (but preferably raw) are ok for this!

7. expatchef December 13, 2012 at 12:22 #

I used to make Bacalao Pil Pil in culinary school all the time, it was the bane of my existance! Having to constantly jiggle the cazuela on top of the stove to get that thickened consistancy….but this sounds much more up my alley, no moving! Well done, love scallops!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:36 #

Well, I guess to make it properly you´re supposed to do all the moving and shaking to thicken it up, but it tastes so good making it this quick way…we still enjoy it!

• expatchef December 14, 2012 at 18:43 #

I much rather do it your way than the real way…..it’s like beating eggs without a mixer….. 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:51 #

I like your way of thinking!

8. gardenfreshtomatoes December 13, 2012 at 12:23 #

Oh, nice one!
    Having issues with the Little One and seafood…she doesn’t like shrimp or fish, but we haven’t tried scallops on her…I think a little less heat, for a first go, though! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:37 #

She may well like them, they´re sort of soft and creamy (and yes, maybe less spice)!

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 13, 2012 at 13:37 #

Spicy! I love this one. Simple and fresh.

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:37 #

I know you enjoy a little bit of spice now and then!

10. spree December 13, 2012 at 14:57 #

Simple, quick, lip-smacking, finger-licking! I’m saving this one Tanya, thanks! (bread is great, but I’m seeing this over pasta too!)

11. ChgoJohn December 13, 2012 at 15:39 #

Now this is one spicy dish, Tanya! Love its simplicity but may have to dial down the heat a bit. I can be a delicate flower sometimes, you see. 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:38 #

We wouldn´t want to blow your head off with the chillis (actually, Big Man sometimes sits there with his eyes watering when I run wild with the spices)!

12. Mad Dog December 13, 2012 at 15:55 #

That sounds perfect for me – lots of chilli and garlic 🙂

13. Bluejellybeans December 13, 2012 at 17:50 #

¡Fantástica receta Tanya! Me encanta esta salsa y con las vieiras debe estar que te mueres de buenas 😉
    Me alegro de que estéis de vuelta 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:40 #

Gracias Giovanna – es la primera vez que lo hice con vieiras y me ha salido muy bien!

14. putneyfarm December 13, 2012 at 18:57 #

Always looking for new scallop recipes..will try!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:40 #

If you like a little hit of spice, then you should love this!

15. restlessjo December 13, 2012 at 20:36 #

I’ve never actually tasted scallops (confession!!!). Are they similar in taste to prawns? It certainly sounds easy enough but I might want some tinned tomatoes in there to make more of a sauce. Would that be totally wrong?

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:41 #

In taste they´re not really like prawns, much more delicate and creamy in flavour. And nothing wrong with adding tomatoes if that´s what floats your boat. It wouldn´t be a “Pil Pil” but I won´t tell anybody…in fact, I´d probably come round with some bread to dip in your sauce 😉

16. Eha December 14, 2012 at 04:50 #

Absolute perfection! I’ll have them just a tad more ‘rare’ – is one allowed to say ‘wow’ on this post?

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:42 #

Yes, I do actually prefer my scallops a little rarer, (or even raw) but I had to please Big Man too 😦 Wow is totally allowed (and appreciated)!

17. Peri's Spice Ladle December 14, 2012 at 05:02 #

Simple and flavorful…sounds absolutely delicious:) have to try this!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:43 #

I think you´d enjoy it, and you would certainly have some good chilli to hand!

18. TBM December 14, 2012 at 10:27 #

I always forget to pack my terracotta bowls 🙂 Looks great. The better half would love this. When can we come over?

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 18:43 #

Any time! Damn those bowls, they always hide away when it´s time to go travelling 😉

19. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) December 14, 2012 at 13:49 #

I was scrolling through my reader and spied the photo of wine PLUS crusty bread and then I read the recipe! Yummmmmm. I am all about a little spice.

20. narf77 December 14, 2012 at 20:27 #

Looks amazing…won’t translate all that well to vegan but sometimes you just have to appreciate an amazing recipe for what it is…”Steve…come scallop season here in Tassie I KNOW what I am going to cook for you!” 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2012 at 22:21 #

How about making it with mushrooms, thinly sliced….mmmm!

21. Bam's Kitchen December 15, 2012 at 14:30 #

My teenagers love spicy food and this undoubtably would make them happy.

22. Promenade Claire December 15, 2012 at 17:13 #

Aaaahhhhh Rye Bay Scallops ! Perfect tapa style, shame t’other half doesn’t like them or I’d make them more often at home, oh well more for me. And now I will have to try your version …… soon……

• Chica Andaluza December 16, 2012 at 12:34 #

Aha – something to make for you! They really were so sweet and meaty, very good indeed 🙂

23. Karen (Back Road Journal) December 16, 2012 at 14:10 #

Simple to prepare and delicious to eat, I’m sure. We never get the scallops with their roe here…lucky that you have a great source.

• Chica Andaluza December 16, 2012 at 16:12 #

We rarely get them with their roe in Spain – boy were they good!

24. chaiselongue1 December 16, 2012 at 17:40 #

How did I miss this the other day? What a delicious idea. I love gambas pil pil and this looks a great variation. I think I’ll be making this over the holidays when sea food-loving family are here!

25. fati's recipes January 21, 2013 at 07:03 #

I’m loving the flavours here!

26. narf77 May 28, 2013 at 21:21 #

I reckon I could veganise pil-pil nicely. Some lovely oyster mushrooms, maybe some tofu, a bit of homemade tempeh or just some gorgeous roasted veggies tossed in. Pil-pil I CAN pinch!

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2013 at 09:27 #

You definitely can, I’ve done it with finely sliced courgette (start with it raw, it’s just done perfectly by the time the oil and chili has done its job) or some lightly roasted aubergine….gorgeous!

• narf77 May 29, 2013 at 09:47 #

YUM! 🙂

1. Old Favourites and Favourite Gadgets | Chica Andaluza - May 28, 2013

[…] course, I was able to make pil pil while in England, but it does taste so much better when cooked in the traditional terracotta bowl. […]

2. Griddled Scallops with Lemon and Rocket and a Fish Sauce Dressing | Chica Andaluza - June 1, 2014

[…] For more scallop inspired recipes, take a look at this or this. […]