Griddled Scallops with Lemon and Rocket and a Fish Sauce Dressing

1 Jun

Back in England and Scallops are very much back on the menu for us. This is a simple but luxurious starter or a light lunch or supper. I also served the scallops with some excellent smoked salmon I happened to have but it would have been just as good without.

Scallops & Salmon iwth Lemon & Rocket 002

Ingredients (to serve 4 as a starter or 2 as a light main)

• 12 scallops
  • Some finely chopped rocket mixed with the finely chopped zest of a lemon (unwaxed)
  • Some finely chopped coriander to sprinkle over

For the dressing

• 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, half a crushed clove of garlic, the juice of half a lemon, a little honey (to taste), salt and pepper.

Mix or shake up all the ingredients for the dressing, tasting and adjusting as you go

Scallops & Salmon iwth Lemon & Rocket 004

Heat the griddle pan until it is smoking hot and quickly sear the scallops on each side (about a minute is all they’ll need) then plate them up. Pour the dressing over the hot scallops, and sprinkle over the rocket and lemon mix.

Fast food doesn’t get much better than this!

For more scallop inspired recipes, take a look at this or this.

41 Responses to “Griddled Scallops with Lemon and Rocket and a Fish Sauce Dressing”

1. cookinginsens June 1, 2014 at 16:29 #

So simple, so good. Yes to the smoked salmon.

2. Mad Dog June 1, 2014 at 17:08 #

Excellent – I hope you could smell the sea while you ate it 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 2, 2014 at 20:22 #

We could smell it and taste it! And almost see it (if we’d eaten in the front garden and craned our necks a bit) 😉

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 1, 2014 at 17:43 #

Ohhhhhh. I wish this were on my menu.

4. PendleStitches June 1, 2014 at 17:43 #

I cannot get along with scallops, to my eternal dismay, but they do look very lovely indeed. I do hope you had some crisp, cold white wine with them…. 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 2, 2014 at 20:23 #

Oh dear – will leave them off the menu for you when we meet up one day!

5. mysimpledelights June 1, 2014 at 18:50 #

Madre mia!!!! Rico!! Rico!! Rico!! Me encanta!!

6. 76sanfermo June 1, 2014 at 19:39 #

Scallops!
    One of my favorite sea-food..
    Thanks for this gorgeous recipe,Tanja!

7. TheDorsetFinca June 1, 2014 at 19:40 #

Scallops are the best ever… but with smoked salmon… that sounds even better!

8. The Burlap Kitchen June 1, 2014 at 19:58 #

I will have to give these a try! 🙂

9. narf77 June 1, 2014 at 21:12 #

Even though I am sitting here on the second day of official winter contemplating dipping my finger in that fine accompanying sauce I can appreciate this recipe. Tasmania do very fine scallops and we are well known for them. Stevie-boy is a bit of a pleb when it comes to seafood and sticks to fish but if he was forced he would eat scallops…and he calls himself a Pom! 😉 Back to dipping my finger in that scrumptious sauce…lick…lick…lick…

• Chica Andaluza June 2, 2014 at 20:25 #

I think that sauce would be fabulous with so many things – especially finger dipping!

• narf77 June 2, 2014 at 21:50 #

dip…dip…lick…lick… 🙂

10. Girlfriend of Chivalrous Cooking June 2, 2014 at 00:36 #

so yummy!

11. Gather and Graze June 2, 2014 at 02:20 #

This looks wonderful Tanya… a delicious mix of flavours!

12. Tandy | Lavender and Lime June 2, 2014 at 05:52 #

This is the best type of fast food!

13. Soup Guru June 2, 2014 at 08:22 #

Lovely dressing with an Asian twist!

14. thecompletebook June 2, 2014 at 11:25 #

SCRUMITY!
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

15. Karen June 2, 2014 at 14:06 #

I absolutely love scallops especially when presented on greens like you have done. We eat something very similar with oranges added to the mix. Next time I’ll serve some salmon along side for my husband as he loves it and it makes a pretty presentation.

• Chica Andaluza June 2, 2014 at 19:36 #

Ooh I love the idea of the oranges too – the salty scallops and the tangy citrus hit!

16. Amanda June 2, 2014 at 19:33 #

Yum! So light and perfect! I love that you put it over the smoked salmon. Delicious! Buen provecho, nena!

17. bitsandbreadcrumbs June 2, 2014 at 23:09 #

My kind of fast food…love scallops!

18. waterfallsandcaribous June 3, 2014 at 02:31 #

Shellfish (and raw fish) are so totally TOP of my list of eats when baby comes!!! YUM. This looks gorgeous…

• Chica Andaluza June 3, 2014 at 16:56 #

Oh yes, you’ve been having to avoid them for a while L Worth it though! And not long now!

19. Charles June 13, 2014 at 23:40 #

Mm, scallops – I like the really huge ones… they’re hard to find, usually the piddly ones are all that can be had, but it’s better than nothing I suppose. I’d serve with the smoked salmon too – I bet it made an awesome combo!

20. Rak Sepatu Gantung August 14, 2016 at 05:21 #

it’s look lika a shushi from japan..

21. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 12:36 #

It looks delicious

1. Salmon, Cabbage and Fennel | Cooking in Sens - June 2, 2014

[…] how I wanted to cook them.  In the nick of time, Chica Andaluza posted a fantastic recipe for griddled scallops and smoked salmon with a dressing that I admired.  I re-purposed the dressing as a marinade but […]