Griddled Scallops with Seared Jamon

5 Jan

Ooh, that sounds a bit restauranty doesn´t it? Well, you can see from the photo that it really wasn´t, but it was quick and delicious and a perfect New Year´s Eve starter for the two of us. Who wants to spend hours in the kitchen when there´s champagne to be drunk for goodness sake?!

Scallops (1)

Back here on the South Coast of England, we are lucky to have access to freshly caught fish and shellfish. Rye Bay Scallops (caught locally) are delicious and even have a festival to celebrate their glory. Lucky us, perfect for a special treat.

Ingredients (for 2 people)

• A few handfuls of your favourite salad (we used rocket and baby plum tomatoes)
  • 3 scallops with their coral per person
  • 6 thin slices of jamon (or use 3 slices of prosciutto cut in half)
  • A salad dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, a splash of soy sauce, half a teaspoon of honey and salt & pepper (go easy on the salt because of the soy sauce)

Heat a griddle pan until it starts to smoke and then quickly sear the jamon/prosciutto for a few seconds on each side.

Jamon a la plancha (1)

Remove from the heat and cook the scallops for about a minute on each side (or less if you like them less cooked or they are not very thick).

Put a layer of salad on a plate then 3 slices of jamon followed by the scallops.  Season the salad, drizzle with the dressing, serve with lemon and enjoy.

71 Responses to “Griddled Scallops with Seared Jamon”

1. Eha January 5, 2013 at 09:56 #

Does not sound ‘restauranty’ does not look ‘restauranty’, but I would just love to sink my teeth into your jamon and those beautiful succulent-looking barely grilled scallops. Could have happily made a full meal out of the offerings! Like the dressing: have been using soy sauce lately, but not honey which would balance the saltiness beautifully.

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:45 #

Glad you liked this one! We spread the meal out over a few hours, this would make a perfect light meal. The soy sauce and honey really worked well together 🙂

2. thecompletecookbook January 5, 2013 at 09:59 #

Tanaya, another perfect and scrumity meal – most definitely restaurant sounding and looking! You are on a role.
    🙂 Mandy xo

3. chaiselongue1 January 5, 2013 at 10:27 #

It looks wonderful and, like the best festive dishes, simple to prepare while you get on with the serious business of celebrating! And you’ve reminded me that I wanted to try making your scallops al pil pil too….must look out for some scallops!

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:44 #

It was a toss up on how we would do them, but we griddled the scallops on New Year´s Eve and yesterday had gambas pil pil! We´re lucky that we´re spolit for choice 🙂

4. PendleStitches January 5, 2013 at 11:39 #

I’d happily pay for that in a restaurant!

5. TheDorsetFinca January 5, 2013 at 13:43 #

That looks completely amazing. Totally my cup of tea! x

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:42 #

I expect you must have some pretty good seafood down near the Dorset coast!

6. Karen (Back Road Journal) January 5, 2013 at 14:03 #

In your home or in a restaurant, this sounds great. Unfortunately, I never see the coral attached to scallops at our markets…only when we are in Europe.

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:41 #

Scallops aren´t always sold with the coral on and from what others are saying, it seems to be because they don´t travel well. You learn something every day! With or without, scallops are still so good 🙂

7. Tandy January 5, 2013 at 14:22 #

And perfect accompaniment to champagne!

8. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 5, 2013 at 14:58 #

That looks a bit restauranty and really delicious.

9. gardenfreshtomatoes January 5, 2013 at 16:36 #

Mmmmmm….sounds perfect!
    Any Inland Americans – don’t try to find scallops with the coral attached. It’s too delicate to make the journey. Regular sea scallops (be sure they say ‘Dry’ on the label) will be fine…

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:40 #

I hadn´t realised this so you make a very good point. Now I think of it, whenever I´ve bought frozen scallops (which can be pretty good) they never have the coral attached. Would hate to be responsible for an outbreak of gastro enteritis in the US!

10. spree January 5, 2013 at 17:44 #

I’ve never seen the “coral” still attached – so am curious as to why you suggest it – it’s preferable somehow? Does it suggest more freshness in the scallops? Enlighten me Tanya ! 😉 in any case, this looks like a wonderful way to have started a bubbly celebration!

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:39 #

Well, I think it does denote freshness as someone else pointed out it doesn´t travel well. Also, it has an amazing taste and is very different from the white meat both in flavour and texture…a wonderful combination if you can get them both, but still lovely without!

11. Mad Dog January 5, 2013 at 17:45 #

That’s a perfect choice to go with champagne 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:38 #

I think you´re like us and find that most things go pretty well with champagne 😉

12. Food,Photography & France January 5, 2013 at 19:16 #

Those scallops look wonderful. If I hadn’t just recovered from a violent gastro attack ( my first on record) I would love to have some:)

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 19:37 #

Oh dear, the last thing you want to be thinking about is shellfish 😦 Do hope you are fully recovered!

13. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen January 5, 2013 at 20:18 #

It sounded gourmet… and definitely something I’d be delighted to have served to me in a high end restaurant any day! Your scallops look gorgeous with the jamon. I’ve only bought them at a shop.. what does “with their coral” mean? xx

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 20:25 #

The coral is the orangey pink flesh attached to the white meat and it has a beautiful creamy texture and a more distinct flavour to the sweet white meat. A little like the difference between white and dark crab meat!

14. narf77 January 5, 2013 at 21:00 #

Looks like something to see in the New Year ;). Here in Tassie, scallops are one of our specialities and although not cheap, I might see if we can’t head out to find some ourselves… if anything it would be an adventure! 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 21:06 #

Now I´m really jealous – let me know if you track any down!

• narf77 January 5, 2013 at 21:09 #

or drown…don’t forget “OR DROWN!” 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 21:18 #

Please tell me you can swim!

• narf77 January 5, 2013 at 21:22 #

Sadly, I never learned…but Steve has his lifesaving like all good U.K.’ers so I am in good hands 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 21:30 #

That´s a relief! My grandfather had a career as a Royal Navy Sailor and joined up before the start of the second world war. He sent a mate to do his swimming test and managed to get away with it, came through the war and finally learnt to swim when he was almost 60!

15. theglobalgarnishgeek January 5, 2013 at 21:40 #

Looks like a great starter. I think scallops and cured ham is a great flavor combo.

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:17 #

That sweet and salty combo really does work well together, you´re right!

16. Piglet in Portugal January 5, 2013 at 22:23 #

I love scallops, but can’t seem to buy them here. Your recipe sounds delicious.

Happy New Year! (belated)

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:18 #

What a shame – think it would be good with some big prawns instead too!

17. ChgoJohn January 6, 2013 at 00:24 #

Just when I’m pleased to find sources for fresh seafood and “dry”, not “wet”, scallops, you raise the bar, Tanya, and introduce scallops “with coral” into the equation. Well, you raised the bar, I’m raising the white flag. You win, Tanya. To the Victors go the coral!
    Other than *that*, what a tasty starter you prepared! A wonderful mix of textures and flavors, the perfect start for a New Year’s Day dinner. Best of all, it was ready in minutes. Nicely done, Tanya. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:19 #

Ha ha! I think we´d make a great team if we cooked fish/shellfish together 🙂 and then we could sit down with a lovely bottle of wine and enjoy the fruits of our labours…all winners together!

18. Michelle January 6, 2013 at 05:23 #

Back to England, are we? Wherever you are, the dish looks great. Happy new year to you and yours!

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:20 #

Yes, back in England…and still eating well! Happy New year to you too 🙂

19. Bam's Kitchen January 6, 2013 at 06:42 #

A delicious low carb resturanty meal! In Hong kong our fresh scallops come complete in the shell with everything still attached. It is a lot of work to clean up but they are super fresh.

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:20 #

Ooh, bet they´re amazing. Our oysters come like that but they´re worth the effort of “shucking” them!

20. Promenade Claire January 6, 2013 at 17:22 #

3 words –
    nom, nom, nom

21. TBM January 7, 2013 at 13:27 #

If that plate doesn’t count as looking restauranty then you can never come to my house for dinner. Unless of course you can’t get enough beans and toast.

• Chica Andaluza January 7, 2013 at 15:33 #

Beans on toast is one of my favourites! And we could sit down together and enjoy it and talk books 🙂

22. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 7, 2013 at 17:44 #

I dearly love scallops and they are so good with jamon or proscuitto. Someday I hope to live closer to a coast where I can get fresh seafood…I’d eat it all the time. This looks like the perfect dish to toast in the new year!

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2013 at 19:30 #

Yes, we´re lucky being so very close to one of the “homes” of fresh scallops! The New Year started well 🙂

23. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise January 7, 2013 at 19:53 #

You say it does not look restauranty but it looks really tempting. Mind you this comment is coming from someone who has never tasted scallops and confesses to hating sea food lol

• Chica Andaluza January 8, 2013 at 19:42 #

Maybe you´d like them of you ever gave them a go!

24. dotdos January 7, 2013 at 23:38 #

¡Qué buena pinta! Y qué sencillo parece… Nam, ñam, ñam… 🙂

25. cookinginsens January 8, 2013 at 09:52 #

Delicious Chica!

26. Calico Stretch January 9, 2013 at 00:17 #

Oh the wonders of fresh seafood – we live by the sea but the local fisher folk are not allowed to sell any of their catch off the boat. How unfair that is particularly as we don’t fish ourselves and the local fish mongers don’t sell locally caught fish either. How weird and sad is that?

Anyway, scallops are gorgeous and what a good idea to team it with jamon. YUM

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2013 at 20:27 #

Such a shame, a bit like we can buy cheaper Whisky in Spain than we could when we visited Scotland 😦

27. Lynn January 9, 2013 at 17:00 #

Are you going to put the lamb and ottolenghi recipe on from Dia des los Reyes?

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2013 at 20:23 #

Aha – you´ve been talking to Ria! Have just been typing up the post, so hopefully tonight or tomorrow 🙂

28. Rachel January 9, 2013 at 17:34 #

Perfect – pretty, yummy, and fast! Hungry *now*!… mmmmm! Happy New Year!

29. Bluejellybeans January 12, 2013 at 00:04 #

Wow, Tanya! Esto tiene una pinta buenísima. Hay que ver lo bien que os lo montais tu y Big Man por allá!! 😉
    Un abrazo

• Chica Andaluza January 12, 2013 at 12:58 #

Ay, la vida es dura (!) pero lo estamos aguantando!

30. Jo Bryant January 13, 2013 at 03:32 #

I am a scallop lover since way back – I am so going to try this one

31. Malou February 14, 2013 at 22:06 #

Yum! I love scallops and the combination with jamon and those rucola leaves are just perfect. 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 16, 2013 at 18:17 #

You’re right Malou – the sweet, salty and bitter work so well together!

1. Aubergine and Vegetable Sauce – for people who don’t like aubergine | Chica Andaluza - September 29, 2013

[…] and will take it slowly. We’re planning on three or four months, so we’ll be enjoying the Rye Bay Scallop Season, Bonfires and Fireworks and Christmas too…along with plenty of hard […]

2. Griddled Scallops with Lemon and Rocket and a Fish Sauce Dressing | Chica Andaluza - June 1, 2014

[…] more scallop inspired recipes, take a look at this or […]