Lamb with Quince, Pomegranate and Coriander

9 Jan

The 6th January is the Feast of Epiphany, celebrating the arrival of the Three Kings to Bethlehem. In Spain el Día De Los Reyes is a feast Day, and widely anticipated and celebrated by young and old. Traditionally a Roscón de Reyes (a Cake of Kings) is made. Check out my recipe from last year here, or Giovanna´s beautiful creation here.

Although we´re currently in England, we weren´t going to let a celebration pass us by, and the opportunity to celebrate it with best friends and parents was too good to miss.

Lamb with Quince (1)

We may have had to eat off a folding table in a half decorated room with mismatched plates from charity shops, but we were going to eat well.

We started with Jamon y Queso (Ham & Cheese) and Habas con Jamon (Broad Beans with Ham) and a delicious Brandada. Check out Mad Dog´s fantastic post all about this Catalan delicacy.

Our main course was inspired by my Christmas present from Big Man, the beautiful book Jerusalem by Yotam Ottolenghi. We had bought a couple of quince back from Spain with us, although I didn´t have quite enough so added in chunks of butternut squash (Ottolenghi recommends pear) which worked really well.  Below is how I cooked the recipe with the original recipe also shown.

Ingredients (serves 4 as a main course)

• 400g minced lamb
  • 1 garlic clove crushed
  • 1 red chili, chopped (I used 1 tsp hot pimentón)
  • 20g chopped coriander plus 2tbsp to garnish
  • 50g breadcrumbs
  • 1tsp allspice
  • 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
  • 2 medium onions peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 medium free range egg
  • 4 quince (1.3kg in total) I used 2 quince and a small butternut squash
  • ½ lemon squeezed plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 8 cardamom pods
  • 2 tsp pomegranate molasses (I couldn´t find this so used honey plus the juice of an extra half a lemon)
  • 2 tsp sugar (I left this out)
  • 500ml chicken stock
  • Seeds of ½ pomegranate
  • Salt and black pepper

Place the lamb in a bowl with the garlic, chili, coriander, breadcrumbs, allspice, half the ginger, half the onion, egg and seasoning. Mix with your hands and then form small meatballs. The original recipe suggests stuffing halves of quince, Believe me, this is very hard work as quince are very hard to peel and chop, so I went with his other suggestion to chop the quince and cook with the lamb meatballs.

Lamb with Quince (2)

Peel and chop the quince/squash into large chunks and finely chop about a quarter of the chunks. Leave the larger pieces in a pot of water with the juice of half a lemon to stop the quince turning too brown. Or don´t bother – it will still look and taste good when cooked!

Heat the oil and add the finely chopped quince/squash, onions, ginger and cardamom pods. Cook (covered) until softened then add the molasses and lemon juice (or honey and lemon juice), sugar (if using), stock and seasoning. Now add the quince/squash and meatballs and cook gently for about an hour (covered) or until the fruit is soft. Remove the lid and turn up the heat and cook for a further few minutes until the sauce is thick and pulpy, check for seasoning and sprinkle with the pomegranate and fresh coriander before serving. I also added an extra squeeze of lemon juice.

Tastes even better if made the day before (just don´t add the coriander and pomegranate). I served it with basmati rice into which I stirred browned onions and cumin seeds (toasted and crushed with a pestle and mortar).

Fruit Platter (1)

Phew – a lovely meal with friends which was rounded off with singing and dancing (of the silly variety), Roscón and a fruit platter which went some way to convincing us that we hadn´t consumed any calories at all over Christmas and New Year.

80 Responses to “Lamb with Quince, Pomegranate and Coriander”

1. Mad Dog January 9, 2013 at 21:17 #

Excellent recipe and thanks for the link 😉
    I got a Día De Los Reyes present – I went to the first farmers market since Christmas and the farmer gave me a brace of pheasants!

• Chica Andaluza January 9, 2013 at 23:11 #

Honestly, you´re not just a Mad Dog, you´re a Lucky Dog!

• Mad Dog January 9, 2013 at 23:48 #

Woof!

2. The Seas Of Mintaka January 9, 2013 at 23:19 #

Mmmhh, but you know what, I won’t eat lamb either! It’s like Bambi’s mummy. But I will very happily eat Wilbur’s brother or sister. This sounds sooo tasty with Wilbur’s bro.

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:24 #

Think it would be great with any meat – the flavours used are incredible!

3. DianeT January 9, 2013 at 23:32 #

Fantastic, Tanya. I have a quince tree that produces more than we can eat stewed or as jam. I remember the first time I introduced fruit into a meat dish to my very traditional farmer husband. He’s adapted a bit since then. I loooooove the smell and taste of quince and it will go perfectly with lamb. We don’t have such easy access to pomegranate though. Any ideas for a substitute?

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:32 #

Hee hee – fruit and meat. Big Man was always a bit dubious too and as for roast pork with apple sauce – don´t even go there! The quince doesn´t taste fruity in this. It´s one of those “I like this, but can´t quite work out what it is” flavours! If you can´t get pomegranate, I´d just leave it out, the flavours are still amazing 🙂

4. restlessjo January 10, 2013 at 00:19 #

So pretty, I don’t even care what it tastes like!

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:32 #

I was pleased that it looked pretty much like the photo in the book 🙂

5. Bluejellybeans January 10, 2013 at 01:18 #

¡Qué rico Tanya! Me he descargado una muestra de este libro en el kindle para ver un poco las recetas. El cordero tiene una pinta buenísima desde luego.
    Me alegro de que lo hayáis pasado tan bien en Reyes y muchas gracias por el link 😉
    Un abrazo
    G

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:33 #

Me encanta el libro – te lo consejo! Espero lo has pasado bien también con los tuyos 🙂

6. Karen January 10, 2013 at 01:53 #

Your meal sounds like it was wonderful. When we lived in Miami, Three Kings Day was an important holiday. I’ve heard the cookbook is terrific…Big Man did great giving you such a nice gift.

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:34 #

I can imagine it being a big thing in Miami with the Latin influences there. Can highly recommend the book, I just want to make everything in it!

7. Michelle January 10, 2013 at 03:25 #

I’ve been drooling over my copy of the Jerusalem cookbook, but haven’t made anything from it yet. I definitely need to remedy that.

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:35 #

Oh you do – there are so many wonderful (and fairly straightforward) dishes in it..I could eat the book 🙂

8. tobyo January 10, 2013 at 03:48 #

what a pretty dish! and I LOVE lamb……mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! the fruit salad looks good too 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:35 #

Thank you – it was a very colourful meal all round!

9. Eha January 10, 2013 at 05:22 #

What a fabulous recipe I so soon intend to try! I absolutely loved your ‘make-do’ attitude as far as ‘needed’ ingredients’ were concerned – perchance some taste tinglings came out better your way 🙂 ! In Northern Europe ‘Three Kings’ was a most important holiday with a whole lot of rules and regulations 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:36 #

Sometimes you have to make do and after trying about 6 supermarkets I decided I needed to be resourceful!

10. Tandy January 10, 2013 at 06:14 #

This sounds like an amazing set of ingredients, I am sure it tasted awesome 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:36 #

It really was wonderful, such a perfect mix of flavours and even better the next day (but don´t tell my guests that)!

11. Marianne January 10, 2013 at 06:18 #

I love mixing ingredients you might not think traditionally go together. Lamb with quince, pomegranates and coriander sounds delish!

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:37 #

It was such a lovely mix and introducing the ginger and allspice really was fabulous!

12. thecompletecookbook January 10, 2013 at 07:56 #

You know exactly what I am going to say…
    Scrumity!
    Fabulous meal with family and friends no matter what you are eating it off of is special.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:37 #

I have to agree – it was totally scrumity! And even better for sharing it with loved ones 🙂

13. cookinginsens January 10, 2013 at 08:38 #

Looks and sounds delicious Chica and I love mismatched plates from charity shops 🙂

14. ChgoJohn January 10, 2013 at 09:32 #

Now that was some celebratory dinner you prepared, Tanya! That lamb dish is a feast for the eyes if ever there was one. And you followed it up with that fruit platter. You really have taken your adopted home’s traditions to heart — and that’s a good thing. There’s a lot of wisdom behind “When in Rome … “

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:39 #

Oh I agree John – when in Rome…have a party! It was a pretty dish, that really did tease the eyes before the taste…we really enjoyed it 🙂

15. Lynn January 10, 2013 at 11:05 #

I am inspired to not only cook that lamb but buy that cookbook! x x

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:40 #

Lynn, I can´t recommend it enough. And Ottolenghi The Cookbook. I think I am having a bit of an Ottolenghi “crush” right now!

• Lynn January 11, 2013 at 14:51 #

T – you are ruining my January budget – I have made another purchase!!! x x

• Chica Andaluza January 11, 2013 at 15:29 #

It´s money well invested Lynn, I promise you!

16. gardenfreshtomatoes January 10, 2013 at 15:02 #

I keep looking back at the photo, eating with my eyes…
    Got to get one of his books, for sure!

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:41 #

Oh you should, I have two of them and can´t decide which one I love more. Ottolenghi The Cookbook is great for lots of veggie recipes 🙂

17. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) January 10, 2013 at 16:08 #

This looks so so so good! Makes me even more sad that lamb is so hard to find here. I am all over the pomegranate right now- saw a toasted coconut tilapia yesterday with pomegranate salsa that I just died over, and now this!!! Love it.

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:22 #

Me too – luckily it´s a good time of year for pomegrante here! Love the sound of the coconut tilapia with pomegranate salsa 🙂

18. TBM January 10, 2013 at 17:47 #

I agree you should never let a chance to celebrate slide. We still celebrate Thanksgiving even though we live in England.

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:42 #

And you should – I celebrate it too some years and I´m not American (and don´t even have any distant American relations)!

19. narf77 January 10, 2013 at 19:40 #

Another blogger that I follow recommending Yotam Ottolenghi…I guess I am just going to have to check him out now that you have recommended him because I take that as a taste tick :). Mum died on January 6th and I will forever remember the “epiphany”…it was indeed a moment of clear and concise epiphany for me and I am going to start a tradition of baking a Kings cake in her honour. Mum was the doyen of cakes so it would seem only fitting. I will be making your recipe on January 6th 2014 and might even make my daughters one as well. Traditions start from the strangest things don’t they? 🙂 Love your feasting…feasting is what it is all about (oh…and fasting after said feasting so you can still fit into your trousers but lets not talk about that yet…”fasting” is to “feasting” as the doppleganger in the cupboard was to Dorian Gray! 😉 ). This year Steve and I are spending a day a fortnight exploring cuisines that we haven’t explored and I might just explore Spain for our first outing of the year. We plan on preparing a 3 course authentic meal from each country that we choose and drinking something endemic to that country as well. Shouldn’t be a problem with spain but when we get around to Tibet, might be a bit tough (snow wine anyone? 😉 ). Wish us luck!

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:46 #

I think your idea of honouring your mum´s life is wonderful! Good luck with the cake – plenty of kneading required (but then bread making should be made with passion) and flour for the sticky hands…you´ll be well rewarded. Loved the idea of exploring different cuisines. Many Spanish recipes are meat heavy which won´t work for you, but there are also options which will be good or can be adapted. Do you eat dairy at all or is that totally out? Pipirrana is a lovely fresh vegan tapas, pretty much anything can be “pil-pil´d” and you could make a lovely paella. Sorted! Good luck with Tibet 😉

• narf77 January 10, 2013 at 21:02 #

This is the 5th time I have tried to reply to this! I am SO angry with WordPress I could spit…I just wanted to say that Tibet is officially in the “too hard basket” for now and will be relegated to the bottom of the barel where it will have to fight with Uzbekistan and Lithuania for honours and where “Paper, Rock, Scissors” is the order of the day. As a quintessential “veganiser” of consumately meaty recipes I figure I can cope with having a go at translating Spains meaty history into something acceptably unctuous and vegan. Cheese isn’t a problem now as those clever foody vegans have come up with a plethora of delicious vegan alternatives that can be made at home and as Spains roots are firmly in the ground, along with the carrots, based on peasant heritage I dare say I can find enough wonderful vegetable dishes to tide me over ;). Fruity olive oil (tick), olives (tick), lots and LOTS of delicious eggplants, capsicum, tomatoes and garlic in the veggie garden (TICK)…I think I am set for a degustatory event Viva Espanole! Wish me luck (and lots of sangria 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 21:08 #

Ooh I am looking forward to reading about this culinary world tour. Don´t think you need luck (apart from with wordpress 😦 ) Hve been asking Big Man for more veggie/vegan ideas so will let you know if I think of any more 🙂

20. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 10, 2013 at 19:50 #

That’s one of the prettiest dishes I’ve ever seen, and so festive as well. It definitely looks like a one pot meal…my favorite kind! I’ll bet friends and family alike were cheering when this came to the table. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:48 #

I hadn´t thought of it as a one pot, but you´re right, it is! There were appreciate sighs all round (although it did go a bit quiet for a while too while they were eating)!

21. narf77 January 10, 2013 at 19:51 #

I just had the BEST fun using Google Translate for that recipe in Spanish and actually replying to it…I bet they get a laugh when they read the translation, I know I usually do when I use it 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:48 #

Oh my word – I can only imagine!

• narf77 January 10, 2013 at 21:03 #

I finally got to post that comment! Happiness…thy name is narf7 (and I get 10 persistence points to boot 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 21:08 #

Yay 🙂

22. Our Growing Paynes January 10, 2013 at 19:59 #

Great colours! The dish just pops off the screen. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 10, 2013 at 20:49 #

It did look so pretty, don´t think the photo even does it justice 🙂

23. 76sanfermo January 10, 2013 at 21:47 #

I’m quite new in the blogosphere,but I noticed your posts as soon as I went browsing around….Your good taste , your photos,your recipes…I loved your blog from the very beginning!
    Thank you for visiting mine,and…….¡hasta pronto!

• Chica Andaluza January 11, 2013 at 15:32 #

Thank you for your very kind words, and good luck with the blogging!

• 76sanfermo January 11, 2013 at 15:57 #

Grazie mille! Altrettanto a te!

24. spree January 11, 2013 at 22:57 #

Tanya, two flat out eye popping dishes! Love the ingredient list in the first…my mouths having no trouble imagining how very delicious that would be! And the salad, what a way to refresh afterwards! You DO know how to celebrate the good life girl! Well done, and a party well-deserved by two who’ve worked so hard!

• Chica Andaluza January 12, 2013 at 12:58 #

Thank you Spree – it was a lovely day with celebratory food which I really enjoyed preparing!

25. TheDorsetFinca January 12, 2013 at 08:41 #

That whole meal is completely jewel-like! So appropriate for the arrival of the Kings!

• Chica Andaluza January 12, 2013 at 12:59 #

It´s true – hadn´t planned it that way though!

26. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise January 13, 2013 at 09:20 #

Thank you for sharing the recipe Tanya.It is a refreshing and new recipe that sounds too good to miss
    I keep hearing about this cook book and need to get myself a copyy soon

27. chaiselongue1 January 14, 2013 at 23:25 #

I love everything we’ve cooked so far from the Jerusalem book and this looks wonderful too. I’m not sure how I lived without it!

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2013 at 19:00 #

Ooh good – another fan. It really is such a fabulous book isn´t it!

28. PendleStitches January 15, 2013 at 12:10 #

Pretty food with jewel colours and not a calorie to be seen. 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2013 at 19:03 #

Not a one! Well, it´s not really too naughty a dish as the meatballs aren´t fried and with all that fruit and veg in there, it cancels out any remaining calories 😉

• PendleStitches January 15, 2013 at 21:16 #

This is a well know calorific equation! Also works for cake pinched from someone else’s plate.
        Or it might explain the surplus 20 odd pounds I’m carrying….

• Chica Andaluza January 16, 2013 at 10:49 #

I have a special calorie remover machine my granny gave me – wish I could find the damn thing!

• PendleStitches January 16, 2013 at 11:04 #

Down the back of the sofa with the 10p pieces…

• Chica Andaluza January 16, 2013 at 11:47 #

Aha – found it!

• PendleStitches January 16, 2013 at 13:03 #

ta daaaaaaaa!

29. kathryningrid January 27, 2013 at 03:31 #

Gorgeous! Looks beautiful, will taste greater. Mmmmmmmm!

30. Michi January 31, 2013 at 23:45 #

Soooo yummy!!! Gosh, I missed your cooking!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2013 at 15:26 #

Thank you – are you blogging again, haven’t had any notifications, will pop over and check!

• Michelle February 4, 2013 at 20:21 #

Yes, I’m back! My domain got stolen back in November, so it’s screwed the notifications and everything. 😦 Brand new domain now though! Just have to fix a few more things I think.

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2013 at 22:56 #

What a pain. Went on over but haven’t worke dout yet how to resubscribe. Will look again!

• Michelle February 4, 2013 at 23:40 #

Oops, sorry about that! I’ve just put up the new RSS feed button. That should do the trick.

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2013 at 15:55 #

Aha!

31. furniture modern February 12, 2017 at 06:06 #

sooo yummy……

1. Lamb & Beef Meatballs with Broad Beans & Lemon – The Colours of Spring on a Plate | Chica Andaluza - April 3, 2013

[…] For another beautiful Ottolenghi meatball dish, check out my recipe for Lamb with Quince, Pomegranate and Coriander. […]

2. When life gives you pomegranates… | Chica Andaluza - November 15, 2016

[…] you enjoy the challenge  of pomegranate peeling, take a look at this lovely recipe using lamb and quince. Note the difference in colour of the fruit in this recipe which was made with a pomegranate bought […]