Skating on Thin Ice – Skate Wing with Prawns

2 Jan

Well, with my track record of falling into holes, walking into lamp posts and generally bumping into things, it´s probably a good thing that there are no local ice rinks for me to run amok in!

Skate with prawns (2)

Best to stick to Skate (ray) of the edible variety.  Here´s a super simple dish, which is quick to cook if the skate is already prepared. If not, check out this “how to” post. Aside from using the biggest frying pan you can get your hands on, it´s all plain sailing. Or skating…

Ingredients (per person)

• 1 whole skate wing (or half if it´s as enormous as the one I bought)
  • Half a cup of raw peeled prawns (or you can use cooked)
  • Flour for dusting
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Lemon
  • One clove of crushed garlic
  • Olive oil and butter for frying (or you can use just oil)

Dust the skate wing in seasoned flour and fry gently on both sides until lightly browned. Remove and keep warm while you fry the garlic and prawns until the prawns are cooked through and pink (if raw) or just warmed through if already cooked.

Squeeze a little lemon juice into the pan with the prawns and garlic and the oil/butter then pour over the skate to serve. Easier than a triple salchow. Whatever that is.

If, like me, you prefer a walk in the bright Winter sunshine to skating, hope you enjoy this shot of the beach at Bexhill on New Year´s Day morning where we walked with the dogs. Yes….we´re back in England to finish of the last bits of work in House No 2!

1 Enero 2013 (1)

66 Responses to “Skating on Thin Ice – Skate Wing with Prawns”

1. Food,Photography & France January 2, 2013 at 10:00 #

Certainly the best way of skating. Nice idea with the prawns and a lovely shot of the English seaside.

• Chica Andaluza January 2, 2013 at 13:10 #

Yes, much safer than balanced on blades! The seaside was looking especially lovely yesterday morning…

2. chaiselongue1 January 2, 2013 at 10:10 #

Yes, much better than skating on ice, something I’ve never managed to do! I’ve never eaten skate either but have been told I’d like it because I don’t like fish bones, so maybe I’ll try this because it sounds delicious. It looks as though you had a lovely sunny morning on the beach. Happy new year!

• Chica Andaluza January 2, 2013 at 13:09 #

Yes, skate is so easy to eat as it´s cartilage, not bones and the meat just slides down and off. Such sweet tasting fish too!

3. themateriallady January 2, 2013 at 10:19 #

I used to ice skate – but my knees would let you know how well 😦
    I like skate – no bones. It’s ages since I ate it so thank you for reminding me about it.
    Happy New Year – and I hope you enjoyed your walk on what was a beautiful, if cold, day.

• Chica Andaluza January 2, 2013 at 13:08 #

Eek – poor knees, I don´t think mine would be up for it anymore! The walk was glorious – no wind and beautiful, cold sunshine.

4. mrszeg January 2, 2013 at 10:57 #

I’ve never seen skate here but this sounds wonderful so I will search for it a little harder.

5. gardenfreshtomatoes January 2, 2013 at 13:03 #

In our kitchen, there is a very good stainless-steel frying pan with a badly-pitted cooking surface – the result of Hubby’s best friend (a chef, no less!) making skate in browned butter one night. To this day, I have no idea how the pan got ruined…Our chef-friend is no longer with us (cancer), but we keep the JP Memorial Pan in a place of honor…
    And that was the last time skate was prepared in our kitchen!
    Thanks for the memory, Tanya – even if I won’t be cooking it anytime soon 😀

• Chica Andaluza January 2, 2013 at 13:07 #

Ah, thanks for sharing the story – I can understand why you keep that pan! Chefs are notoriously tough on their kitchen equipment 😉

6. Tandy January 2, 2013 at 13:13 #

I have the same accident prone issue! I’ve twice walked into our staircase and bruised my bruise! I have to try skate next time we are in the UK 🙂

7. ChgoJohn January 2, 2013 at 15:15 #

Wow! This is easy, Tanya! I’ve seen skate and wondered how it should be prepared and had no idea it could be this simple. Thanks to you, I now have another fish to buy at the fishmonger’s. Do you sense the fear in the seas? Soon, no fish will be safe from my skillet!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:17 #

No “sleeping with the fishes” for you – it´s the fish who need to be afraid, very afraid 😉

8. PendleStitches January 2, 2013 at 15:34 #

I’m rubbish at ice skating too…but this looks lovely. I’m thinking it would be delish with potted shrimp too! Love potted shrimp.

9. cecilia January 2, 2013 at 15:39 #

I never have nor do i have any intention of skating on ice at all.. I am more than happy with a walk on the beach, and seafood for dinner! c

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:18 #

Far more sensible, although I know you have to deal with your fair share of ice out there on those prairies!

• cecilia January 3, 2013 at 15:00 #

I step carefully, and run like a girl!! arms out flapping!! so i don’t slip.. don’t tell anyone!! c

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 15:03 #

Your secret is safe with me! I throw a ball like a girl, so maybe we could start a team!

• cecilia January 3, 2013 at 15:05 #

I was always the last to be chosen, just so’s you know.. c

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2013 at 10:05 #

Oh me too – but I was always first to be chosen for organizing the parties!

10. Mad Dog January 2, 2013 at 16:31 #

That’s a great recipe – less is so often more 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:21 #

Absolutely – especially when the fish is so super fresh!

11. TheDorsetFinca January 2, 2013 at 17:40 #

Ooh yes, don’t hurt yourself. Better to eat it rather than do it. 🙂

12. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 2, 2013 at 17:46 #

I was just about to ask when you were headed back to England when I scrolled the rest of the way down and saw the beautiful beach shot of Bexhill! The beach and seafood sounds like a grand way to start the new year. Love the colors of the pink shrimp and the skate. Happy New Year, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:24 #

Thanks Betsy – yes, we´re back, and working hard again 🙂

13. Our Growing Paynes January 2, 2013 at 18:47 #

I enjoy recipes like these and with a small number of ingredients, each flavour gets to shine!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:27 #

There´s a great new Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall programme called something like “Take 3 good things” and chefs create beautiful dishes from a few very simple but top quality ingredients. Just goes to show, you don´t always need lots of bells and whistles to make something taste great!

• Our Growing Paynes January 3, 2013 at 14:51 #

I’ll have to keep my eye out for that programme when I’m in the UK.

14. spicegirlfla January 2, 2013 at 19:01 #

Yum…looks good! I’ve not really found skate to even try! You’re a smart lady, stick to a more delicious approach to skating!! Happy New Year!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:28 #

It seems to be quite hard to get hold of in some places. Do hope you get a chance to try it some day Linda!

15. spree January 2, 2013 at 19:34 #

I don’t think I’ve ever seen skate Tanya, but what you’ve done with it sounds (looks!) fantastic! And now, back in England, and on a sunny beach no less! Wishing you and that Big Man of yours big love, good health, much happiness, and continued good adventure!

16. Bluejellybeans January 2, 2013 at 23:05 #

Hola chica! Una receta estupenda. Nunca he tomado raya, quizás con tu receta me ánimo 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:33 #

Te lo recomiendo – aquí se encuentra raya mucho en las pescaderías. No es lo más barato pero muy, muy rico!

17. Eha January 3, 2013 at 02:32 #

Hmm, I have trouble doing a gentle curve when on skates, never mind the triple salchow: I’ll ‘ooh’ and ‘aah at the Winter Olympics for that and stay with the fish: have not cooked it awhile but your dish looks wonderfully simple and appetizing. And a whole sunlit beach [in England!!!!!] to enjoy with the dogs, all on your own: a Yule present and a half!!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:35 #

It was a fabulous walk although it was getting crowded by the time we left! I´ve only skated a vfew times (many years ago) and a few glasses of mulled wine helped to relax me 😉

18. Eha January 3, 2013 at 02:44 #

Five minutes later am back!! My next blog post came from South Africa and also included a wonderfully photographed 3 1/2 hour beach walk. I’m an IT illiterate, so can’t put the link down, but the email address for this, one of my fave sites, is simply ‘Notes from Africa’ [Lisa], a great place for photos, books, history and all else interesting!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:36 #

Do you have a blog yourself – can´t see a link to one? Anyhow, am off to check out the one you recommend!

• Eha January 4, 2013 at 02:31 #

No, I’m still the proverbial cuckoo in everyone’s nest! A ‘little complicated’ stuck out here in the country: a number of friends are very encouraging and offering to help technically – perhaps in six months time 🙂 ! Sorry about the impulsive gesture of the link – but the two walks came one after the other: one in wintery England, the other in summery South Africa and the two beaches somehow looked similar 🙂 ! Oh, Lisa is awfully ‘good value’; I ‘joined’ because of geography and stayed for pure enjoyment!!

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2013 at 10:05 #

Well I can understand why you like her blog – and I like that you are a little cuckoo…you can pop in an out of our nests!

19. TBM January 3, 2013 at 10:26 #

Skate wing–first I’ve heard of it. We’ll keep an eye out for it at the fishmonger. Beautiful photo and I hope all goes well with house #2!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2013 at 14:41 #

In London you´ll probably come across it – sometimes they´re enormous and you can cut them in half. Very delicious!

20. narf77 January 3, 2013 at 20:13 #

I feel a television show coming on…”The yo-yo renovators”…I reacon you are up for it! Although I won’t be eating any skate and prawns any day soon, Steve has rekindled his love of fishing and is tentatively going out in his inherited aluminium dinghy and we have stingrays out in the river as well as prawns (apparently…we are new to exploring this part of the river) and so who knows WHAT he will come home with. Most probably blowfish BUT there is a chance of a lot more so I might be cooking him this meal at some time in the future 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2013 at 10:05 #

I love that Steve can go fishing so close to home and fingers crossed for a lucky haul for him!

• narf77 January 5, 2013 at 02:04 #

Lets just hope that they release a few more salmon from the salmon farm around the corner…there aren’t easier fish to catch! 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2013 at 06:35 #

That would be a lucky break for Steve!

21. thecompletecookbook January 4, 2013 at 09:39 #

Oh, I haven’t eaten skate in many years – your meal looks beyond SCRUMITY! Think I should invite myself over next time you make it. 😀
    Enjoy finishing up house 2.
    🙂 Mandy xo

22. Ria January 4, 2013 at 14:58 #

Skate was one of my mum’s favourite fish, she would always order it if it was on the menu in the fish and chip shop! It’s an old fashioned favourite, love the way you’ve cooked it in this recipe xx

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2013 at 16:01 #

Yes, I remember she loved it! You don´t see it so often now in fish and chip shops though 😦

23. bavariansojourn January 9, 2013 at 10:36 #

Morning! Just wanted to let you know that your recipe has been featured over at BritMum’s (The UK’s largest online network of Bloggers) in the January Healthy Food Round up! Best wishes. Emma 🙂

24. Michi January 31, 2013 at 23:47 #

Oh, I love shrimp recipes!! I saw shrimp today in the seafood section, I’m going to run back tomorrow and try this recipe out.

1. Baked Skate with Oven Roasted Vegetables | Chica Andaluza - March 1, 2013

[…] Skate is also a regular favourite and it’s usually pan fried in my biggest pan possible. The other day I was busy glossing paintwork but wanted to get dinner on the go. Not wanting to stand over a pan for all of ten minutes, I decided to turn on the oven and get cooking. […]

2. Feeling Fishy… | Chica Andaluza - January 9, 2017

[…] another night (we just combined two favourite ways of cooking it…skate with capers and skate with prawns). Absolutely delicious and so quick and […]