We’re back Up Our Mountain!

18 May

Yes, we’re back! Not quite from outer space, but it’s been a long time. It was a long and horrible journey and we arrived late last night. I just wanted to say a quick “hello” to you all, show you one little snap of the kitchen (not quite finished, but nearly there) taken the night before we left.

Forgot to take the protective film off the chimney hood, so it's ot such a funky colour really..oh yes, and we haven't painted the picture rail yet either...

Forgot to take the protective film off the chimney hood, so it’s not such a funky colour really…and the over the counter lights need to be connected…oh yes, and we haven’t painted the picture rail yet either…

We managed to have a little housewarming party for Big Man’s Birthday and to say a proper hello and thank you to all our lovely new Bexhill friends and neighbours.

Toli's Birthday 2013 (29)

Toli's Birthday 2013 (63)

I’m very, very behind on posting, reading and commenting but we now have months and months of catching up, relaxing, cooking, sewing, eating and vegetable growing to look forward to, so once I’ve caught my breath….I’ll be back properly!  Thanks for all your kind words of support over the last few months and for sticking with me.  What good pals you all are, I need to organise another little party….

71 Responses to “We’re back Up Our Mountain!”

1. Mad Dog May 18, 2013 at 18:41 #

Nice to see you back in Spain. I bet your garden will be a full time job for the next month 😉
    Well done on all that building work too – lots of hard work has gone into that kitchen!

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:23 #

Yes, and there’s a lot of DIY jobs waiting here too…oh well, no rush this time!

2. 76sanfermo May 18, 2013 at 19:16 #

Jajaja…ti ho scritto proprio oggi…Me lo sentivo che saresti arrivata!

Que bella cocina( me encantan los azulejos!) ,toda blanca y con el piso de madera….
    Como me gusta a mi!
    Os felicito!
    Ciao!

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:24 #

Grazie, me encanta la cocina, es un color marfil y de madera (no salio muy bien en la foto) y muy diferente a lo que tenemos en Espana!

3. spree May 18, 2013 at 19:36 #

Ahhhh, you have run the long race and at last are back home on your mountain! May there be days of soaking sun, smelling earth, eating fresh, laughing hard and sleeping sweet! And sewing and gardening and cooking and loving and all the rest! Have a wonderful summer Tanya! (The nearly finished kitchen looks Wonderful!)

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:25 #

Thank you so much Spree, we are really looking forward to enjoying our summer here in Spain. Time for a rest (sort of) 😉

4. Florence May 18, 2013 at 19:46 #

Welcome back Sweetie. See you soon.
    F x

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:25 #

Thank you – call you in a few days to arrange an outing!

5. PendleStitches May 18, 2013 at 20:17 #

That kitchen just makes me want to cook. And your neighbours are very lucky indeed! It must be good to be back up the mountain though. Enjoy!

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:26 #

It’s a good space to work in and we’re so pleased we decided to move it so that we now have a smaller bedroom but a kitchen we can eat in and enjoy the garden view! It is good though to be back up the mountain!

6. cookinginsens May 18, 2013 at 20:48 #

Welcome home. Nice kitchen.

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:26 #

Thanks Rosemary – it was an important room to get right!

7. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 18, 2013 at 21:42 #

The floors. That hood. Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:27 #

Thanks Greg – I didn’t get much if of a chance to cook a lot there before we left…but come the winter…. 🙂

8. narf77 May 18, 2013 at 21:59 #

Can’t wait to read about everything that you and The Big Man get up to now that you have time to rest and relax a bit :). Hopefully Spain gives you a glorious season of gorgeousness with the ideal conditions to garden, grow, relax and enjoy your lives…you have certainly earned that rest this year! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:28 #

Thank you so much Narf…we’re very tired right now but knowing us we’ll be buzzing around next week enjoying planting the veggies and getting ready for the summer!

• narf77 May 19, 2013 at 19:16 #

Enjoy your processes and just ease on back into your mountain time…a few good bottles of red should help the transition… and remember “manana” is your new ethos! 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 13:35 #

I agree, manana, manana!

• narf77 May 21, 2013 at 19:51 #

“MANANA!” with a bottle of red in one hand and a plate of something gorgeous in the other and The Big Man singing something to you in Spanish…LOVE IT! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 22, 2013 at 09:56 #

Now how did you know that Big Man loves to sing!

9. Ria May 18, 2013 at 22:43 #

Come back, the place isn’t the same without you now! x

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:18 #

Miss you..but I don’t think we could face that drive quite yet! Give my love to our little seaside home when you visit 🙂

10. DianeT May 18, 2013 at 23:50 #

I came awake this morning hearing a distant sigh of relief. Was it you, Tanya, or Big Man? or both? Now take it easy for at least a week. Those “things to do” will still be there when you are ready.

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:18 #

Oh it was both of us with the two dogs too! Good advice, now we’ve stopped we’re completely exhausted…

11. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise May 19, 2013 at 00:13 #

Welcome back 🙂
    What a journey you guys had!
    the kitchen looks fantastic! You did a wonderful job with it

12. Piglet in Portugal May 19, 2013 at 00:28 #

I bet it feels great to be back! I hate going away 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:20 #

Now it seems we have two homes, so we’re going from one place we love to another. I just wish we could invent a magical speedy transporter for us, the car and the pups!

13. Eha May 19, 2013 at 05:21 #

Take a deep breath, look up at the mountain, count your ‘free’ time ahead in the summer warmth and enjoy . . . yes, the kitchen did turn out well 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:20 #

I have just been walking round the garden doing just that! And we’re happy with the kitchen, and gave it a good test run with iour little party 🙂

14. Tandy May 19, 2013 at 07:57 #

I was wondering where you were! Enjoy settling in and don’t rush to blog!

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:21 #

I’m here but have been quiet for a while rushing to get finished. Will be back soon to blogging and cooking as I miss it!

15. dedy oktavianus pardede May 19, 2013 at 08:12 #

Good luck ang welcome back my friend…..

16. TheDorsetFinca May 19, 2013 at 08:40 #

Glad to hear that you are back safely. What a super smart kitchen you have created! x

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2013 at 12:22 #

Thank you, I really don’t like that long motorway trip 😦 Very pleased with the kitchen but it’s also nice to be back in my Spanish kitchen for a while now!

17. Food,Photography & France May 19, 2013 at 13:03 #

Good to hear that you’re back Spain. You’ve done a brilliant job on the house in Bexhill, by the way.

18. thecompletecookbook May 19, 2013 at 13:21 #

Wow, would you look at that exquisite kitchen! Just too stunning for words Tanya.
    Welcome home. 🙂 Looking forward to having you back again, when you are ready,
    Have a beautiful week ahead.
    🙂 Mandy xo

19. cecilia May 19, 2013 at 16:01 #

Oh thank god you are home and have left soggy england for a while, the new kitchen looks fab, the gathering even fabber!…now to the garden, you must be desperate to get your plants in! and where are your chickens?.. c

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 13:46 #

Sadly Spain is just as soggy as England right now, although sunshine is not far away! We had a horrible mountain cat break into our chickens about 10 days ago (just before we left) along with those of many of our neighbours and it was literally carnage. Our poor chickies, out of a flock of nearly 30, we now have 6 hens and 2 cockerels. They seem ok though and are enjoying the scraps we have for them and are laying well. I know it’s the law of nature, but we did so much to protect them whilst also letting them free range during the day….such a shame.

20. ChgoJohn May 20, 2013 at 03:53 #

Welcome home! I bet it feels wonderful to be back on the mountain. Now do take some time to catch your breath. You both deserve a little R&R.
    What a fantastic looking kitchen! You guys worked hard and it shows. You both should be very proud.

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 13:57 #

Thanks John – we are completely shattered but currently finding it hard to slow down (especially as there are some urgent DIY jobs here to be addressed!) but we are so happy to be back…from one lovely place to another, we are blessed 🙂

21. bitsandbreadcrumbs May 20, 2013 at 05:31 #

Know you are glad to be home and to have some down time, relatively speaking, to enjoy Summer. Your kitchen looks lovely and all your hard work shows. Welcome home!

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 13:58 #

We’ll be busy, of course, but doing lovely outdoor things in the garden and veggie patch! Thanks for your kind words 🙂

22. TBM May 20, 2013 at 13:04 #

Welcome home. You have been busy. Tell Big Man happy birthday!

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 15:58 #

I will, thank you! And welcome home to you and TBH too 🙂

23. gardenfreshtomatoes May 20, 2013 at 13:49 #

Did someone say “party”? I’m booking my ticket now 😀
    Glad you’re home, all safe and sound!

24. theglobalgarnishgeek May 20, 2013 at 14:07 #

Great kitchen!

• Chica Andaluza May 20, 2013 at 15:35 #

I’m looking forward to using it again later in the year!

25. Rachel May 20, 2013 at 16:55 #

Welcome home… yay! (and mmmmm… a new kitchen!)

26. Peri's Spice Ladle May 20, 2013 at 22:22 #

Welcome back home:) The kitchen looks adorable…waiting to see the beautiful meals and memories that get created there…

27. Promenade Claire May 21, 2013 at 00:24 #

Yaay you made it! Being crap I didn’t get round to dropping you an email before you left to thank you and Big Man for such a lovely party! I was wondering how long it went on….. 🙂
    And now I’m looking forward to spending the summer vicariously through you in Spain 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 15:48 #

Don’t you worry – it was a lovely day wasn’t it?! We carried on for a few hours more, all huddled in the kitchen (as you do at all the best parties!). We broke into the Crème de Mures last night – fabulous. We’ll bring you some olive oil over next time 🙂

28. Natalie Ward May 21, 2013 at 09:37 #

Welcome back Tanya! Looking forward to reading about your growing & cooking, we missed you! Hoping this strange weather passes soon, oh & I love the white “brick” tiles in the kitchen. I want those *pouts* 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2013 at 16:33 #

Thanks Natalie – can’t believe the weather here for the end of May, most strange! I was pleased with the tiles and the decision to use a dark grout instead of a matching one was very last minute and I was so pleased with the way they turned out…

29. expatchef May 21, 2013 at 10:23 #

Welcome! Bienvenida y enhorabuena! the kitchen looks fab, and I am sure you are all happy to be back in your little mountain! Can’t wait to see your future posts!

30. Marianne May 21, 2013 at 17:12 #

What a good job you’ve made of the kitchen.

It should warm up (and dry up) here, later in the week. The weather is so weird at the moment. Welcome back to Spain.

BTW your posts aren’t appearing in my Reader any more 😦

• Chica Andaluza May 22, 2013 at 09:54 #

Strange about the posts not appearing – wordpress does do funny things sometimes! Looks like today may well be the start of the warmer weather, fingers crossed 🙂

31. Charles May 24, 2013 at 00:26 #

It must be really nice to be home, I bet?! I always breathe a huge sigh of relief as soon as I step through my front door after being away somewhere!

• Chica Andaluza May 24, 2013 at 08:52 #

It’s a very special feeling isn’t it – lovely though it is to travel and be in other places, it’s great to be home!

32. kathryningrid May 28, 2013 at 07:06 #

Superb! Your commenter San Fermo is oh so right! Welcome home to the mountain. I hope the renos and catching-up adventures aren’t too overwhelming and will lead to a peaceful, restful time back in Spain–and that, in turn, will lead to a much sweeter time back in the UK as well, now that you’ve accomplished so much *there*!

• Chica Andaluza May 28, 2013 at 09:06 #

Sometimes we get a bit overwhelmed by things and need to take a step back – I think this was one of those moments and in the great scheme of things, what had to be done was nothing compared to the major works we had been doing. Thank goodness we got it all into perspective!

33. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 12:11 #

when I see the kitchen ,I want to cook one of your recipe.